Reading Thread/Discussion

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Reading Thread/Discussion

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have heard about David Wong and read his Cracked.com articles and I was very impressed with them! Maybe I will get the book at one point since he is funny!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I have heard about David Wong and read his Cracked.com articles and I was very impressed with them! Maybe I will get the book at one point since he is funny!
"And watch out for Molly. See if she does anything unusual. There’s something I don’t trust about the way she exploded and then came back from the dead like that."

Another hilarious book is "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman. Its a semi-sequel to "American Gods" focusing on the sons of the character Mr. Nancy, who is really Anansi the Spider from West African mythology.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Well, after a while of RPing in RV, and staring at this book while I decided read Martin Marten by Brian Doyle, definitely had an interesting view on animal behavior and nature, I enjoyed it. Now I want to read his Mink River story.
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Radio Blue Heart

I finished "War of the Worlds" and now I am going to start "The Island of Dr. Moreau".
-Virgil
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

After a long time of searching for a good ferret book, finally found a whole series. "Curious Lives: Adventures from the Ferret Chronicles" by Richard Bach. Love the description they give on the back cover, and the foreword. Guess I'm just a sucker for anything with ferrets, and this author did a pretty great job at describing them and what their 'Ferret Civilization' would be like. Luckily they aren't described as all bad or just some side character like in most stories I've seen...
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Radio Blue Heart

I just read "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. It gave me a lot to think about. I might need to reread it in order to wrap my mind around it completely.

I have started reading a werewolf novel called "Hour of the Beast" by C. Michael Forsyth. I have only read the first two chapters but its shaping up to be good. It's a murder mystery with werewolves.

I heard about a book series called "Wings of Fire" that I would like to start reading. All the characters are dragons. It looks very interesting and I love stories with non-human characters as the leads.
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Now with no books to read, I decided to go find a bizarre book to read. The only one on my list Barnes and Noble had was The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami. So I bought that!

It's a bizarrely-formatted book with magical surrealist themes that apparently has a sheep man of some type, and is nominally young adult-friendly but is darker than one would expect from that. Sounds right up my alley! :D
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RashallVetkay

Post by RashallVetkay »

I read a ton of Fantasy and SciFi, namely Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Fantasy. I have read some great SciFi novels though, namely Dune and Starship Troopers.
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

Xbox Live ID: Rashall Vetkay

Steam ID: Rashall (same avatar picture as here on the forums)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I've rather taken to murder mysteries.

Recently I read a book called "Bryant and May Investigate White Corridor". Terrific book with a great twist at the end that I didn't see coming. It's about two elderly detectives who have to investigate two murders simultaneously while they're stuck waist-deep in snow on the highway - one with the murderer working their way along the stuck line of cars straight towards the detectives and the other a slain member of their team found in a locked room which they can only work by phone since they can't escape the first murderer due to the deep snow. Quite thrilling and intriguing. I only managed to solve one out of the two murders.

I'm currently reading "The Bishop Goes To The University" which is following a bishop working for the Catholic church who's investigating the murder of a visiting Russian priest in a Chicagoan university. It's fascinating so far since it's not clear what the motive could have been or if the priest was who he seemed to be. I can't wait to see where it goes!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I reread a classic recently.

"Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" by Jules Verne. It was good but not as good as I remembered it. Between bouts of action there were lists of all the sea life that the submarine passed which got boring quickly. And there was a massive plot hole. But it's still worth a read because it's a classic and because it shows some misconceptions and erroneous beliefs from the time at which it was written.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Been reading a ton of sci fi short stories and H.P. Lovecraft lately and it's got me in a mood to write short films.

I'm very quickly becoming that guy that is an obnoxious lovecraft fanboy and I'm just gonna roll with it.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Commander Bevin

Post by Commander Bevin »

Is it bad form to say I'm reading my own book? :P Hehe. But more seriously, being immersed in the fantasy-writing process, been reading a lot of horror, sci-fi, and fantasy books for inspiration. Currently I'm working my way through Stephen King's IT. Emphasis on working, because this book is BIG! :o
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Nah, not at all!

Welcome, Commander! *salutes* Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Welcome Thread and please feel free to poke any of our staff any time if you have any questions or concerns or even if you feel like chatting!

As to me, I've just finished reading a couple of Temperance Brennan books, the books the Bones tv show is based on. They're very good! I'm also working my way through an anthology of works by Edgar Allan Poe which is creepy. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I looove his short story work even though that old gothic horror style can be kinda corny when it's effective it's awesome and just tends to be a really fun read in general, at least IMO. What's your favorite story so far?
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm going through a lot of books in preparation to move, Hlaroo, and found myself thumbing through some Poe myself.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Was thinking about a 'What are you reading' thread but I think I'll do a bit of necromancy instead.

Reading Doctor Who - Ten Little Aliens by Stephen Cole.

A 1st Doctor, Ben and Polly adventure by Stephen Cole.

Agatha Christie meets Starship Troopers.

The Earth Empire has been fighting a terrorist force called the Shirr for ten years. The Shirr have been using magic to carry out vast scale attacks and, as they're part of the Earth Empire, the Morphicans - the phenominally powerful magical race they stole the magic off - have told Earth to deal with it. Or else.

Marshall Haunt leads an Elite academy team on their last training mission before being assigned to the field. Deal with two killbots in a sealed base inside an asteroid. One of the last things they're expecting to find is three civilians in the sealed command centre, seemingly unable to get into a box. Then again, they weren't expecting to find the bodies of the ten leading Shirr either, frozen in stasis at the moment of their grisly deaths.

But that's by the by. As neither group expected the Asteroid to then start engines they didn't know it had and start hurtling to Morphican space. And someone's trying to kill them. But it's not the Schirr because all nine of them are still dead. Or is it Eight?

It's a very effective book that keeps you guessing as to what's going on as Haunt and the Doctor employ very different means to try to keep as many of her troops alive and stop the asteroid before it arrives in the Morphican sector and REALLY annoys them...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

For those of you who are fond of cats (and I miss mine dearly) and/or things Japanese, you might want to pick up Hiro Arikawa's The Traveling Cat Chronicles. It sort of reminded me of Sara Pennypacker's book, Pax, not sure why. Regards.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Books, this seems like my kind of thread, so like Artemis Fowl, or Warrior cats, yeah, I like books, in fact, I have read too many books to keep count of
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Got a favorite?
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

I am not really sure.
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Mind if i weigh in?

I know several of these suggestions are old books, but if you're looking for a good read,
Pretymuch anything by David Gemmell, or Ben Bova are good choices.
James Axler's Outlanders and Deathlands series are also an old favorite.
As are the His Dark Materials Books by Philip Pullman.
the TekWar books are alright, if you don't mind trying to wrap you head around the inherent nonsense of a VR based drug as a plot device.

That said none of these series are aimed at youth or child audiences, closest would be Pullman's stuff seeming to be aimed at teens. a good half of them can get quite violent, as well as containing other themes usually excluded from that demographic.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

My favorite books are anything written by Rick Riordan. He's like a personal hero to me. Beyond that there are the Warriors books as well as Artemis Fowl which is my go to when I'm discussing writing with people in class. Cassandra Claire is an excellent writer when it comes to prose.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ben McIntyre's The Spy and the Traitor ... might follow up with some LeCarre. I usually have two books going at a time but the second one bored me.
Commander Bevin

Post by Commander Bevin »

Anyone here familiar with the Firebringer Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce? I only read them for the first time a couple years ago, but they immediately jumped up to the top of my favorite books list.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Got the first two volumes of .hack//Another Birth yesterday.
Finished them in under 7 hours
Rp characters
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

Ah, yes, here is the reading/novel discussion thread, buried on Page 2. I command thee, rise, from the dead!

I will never not sing the praises of Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen Series. It's a WWII alternate history set in a different Earth where the K-T Extinction (that killed the dinosaurs) never occurred. If you're a fan of alternate history or military fiction, please please PLEASE check it out. You won't regret it. I first found the series back in 2013 and I've been hooked ever since. Great characters, well researched, wonderful worldbuilding.

Another series I've enjoyed more recently is Wesley Chu's Tao trilogy. It's a Sci Fi action series will good humor throughout. I've always been bad at explaining this series to others, so just read up on it on Goodreads.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Ooh, I bet my brother and I would both love that first one. Sounds like it might be in a similar vein to Naomi Novik's Temeraire series? And on the very small chance you've not heard of that one, go read it. I'll wait XD

I just ordered a new copy of Startide Rising by David Brin, a book I was practically in love with a decade and a half ago, because I've started playing the Halo games for basically the first time and what I can make out of the lore so far really strongly reminds me of that story. It makes me want to read it again but I my old copy was so mistreated it's basically destroyed. :(
Considering it's very adult sci-fi and the last time I read it I couldn't have been older than 15, there's probably lots there still to discover.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
CuriousCnidarian

Vertigo Fox wrote:Ooh, I bet my brother and I would both love that first one. Sounds like it might be in a similar vein to Naomi Novik's Temeraire series? And on the very small chance you've not heard of that one, go read it. I'll wait XD
I actually hadn't heard of it, but it looks interesting. From what I can tell, though, Temeraire has much more of a fantasy bent than Destroyermen; Aside from one or two major things that I don't want to mention that might spoil some things for Destroyermen, the series is very much grounded in reality.

Also, I picked up Sundiver, the book before Startide Rising, last year, but still haven't gotten around to reading it. I've been meaning to read more from what an old high school professor dubbed the "Killer B's" (Greg Bear, Gregory Benford, and David Brin, the three authors Issac Asimov entrusted to write the prequels to his Foundation series), but I've been slacking.

A couple other series I can recommend: John Christopher's Tripods trilogy is a YA series my Dad read to me at night before I could read myself, and is largely responsible for my love of SF. The other series on my mind is the Gandalara Cycle by Vicki Ann Heydron and Randall Garrett, a very engaging 7 part fantasy series.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Sundiver... was not as strong as the other books in that trilogy, and you don't really need to read it to understand them. There aren't any shared characters.
That one tried to be a murder mystery in space, but there was too much else going on to really ground it in the reader's reality. Still good, just not excellent.
Last edited by Vertigo Fox on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

CuriousCnidarian

Hm. May just skip it in that case. Currently, I'm planning on picking up the Trouble In The Wind and To Slip The Surly Bonds anthologies edited by Chris Kennedy and James Young, since I recently learned there's short stories in there that tie in to the Destroyermen series, and then maybe checking out Temeraire. I've got too much a backlog though, so maybe I should just stop buying new books until I get through it.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Aye, when there's too many books lined up to read I can never pick one.
Another reason it'll be good to go back to something I know I loved.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

CuriousCnidarian

I suppose you'll be happy to know, Vertigo, that I picked up the first couple books of Temeraire today. I'm looking forward to reading them.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If that is the case, I hope you let him know what you think!
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

CuriousCnidarian wrote:I will never not sing the praises of Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen Series. It's a WWII alternate history set in a different Earth where the K-T Extinction (that killed the dinosaurs) never occurred. If you're a fan of alternate history or military fiction, please please PLEASE check it out. You won't regret it. I first found the series back in 2013 and I've been hooked ever since. Great characters, well researched, wonderful worldbuilding.
I can't second this hard enough.

My ususual reading tastes involve science fiction (mostly mil-sci-fi and hard sci-fi), alternate history (with people from a different timeline (Destroyermen starts in a timeline similar to ours, but features a bunch of ships that never existed, including the USS Walker)), and some urban fantasy (Dresden Files, The Laundry, Kitty Norville). Given how enthused I was during the Marion And Lois show (AKA My Life As A Teenage Squirrel) arc of this very webcomic, I also like transformation stories.

... so it is both super weird and also right in my wheelhouse that I'm currently reading the English version of the Japanese novel series So I'm A Spider.

I only found it because a thumbnail in my youtube recommended page caught my eye, which turned out to be an advert for an upcoming anime adaptation of a story about a girl who gets reincarnated as a spider monster in a universe that runs on RPG video game rules and goes through hell just to survive.

I can count the number of animes and mangas I've read and watched combined on my hands, so me reading the manga is unusual... but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I had a pit in my stomach when I reached the most recent update and had nothing more to read. It was that good.

So I bought the first light novel, read through it in about a day, bought the second one.

I don't know if its just that it hits all the right notes for me personally, or if its something most people can enjoy, but I'd recommend it anyway.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm reading collections of F. Scott Fitzgerald's stuff. I often tend to find an author and. if I really like the first thing I read by them, I'll read several of their books one right after the other. Odd habit.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I thought about doing that but when I couldn't find another book by Louis Sachar after reading "There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom".
CuriousCnidarian

VeryAngryDeer wrote:
CuriousCnidarian wrote:I will never not sing the praises of Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen Series. It's a WWII alternate history set in a different Earth where the K-T Extinction (that killed the dinosaurs) never occurred. If you're a fan of alternate history or military fiction, please please PLEASE check it out. You won't regret it. I first found the series back in 2013 and I've been hooked ever since. Great characters, well researched, wonderful worldbuilding.
You. I like you. You have good taste. On another note though, the Walker, as well as Mahan, did exist, but were out of commission by the time WWII rolled around. Walker was decommissioned in 1922 and ultimately ended up as a damage control hulk and scuttled in 1941, whereas Mahan was decommissioned and sold for scrap in 1930. Fun Fact: Amagi was based off the cancelled (due to the 1922 Washington Naval Treaty) Amagi-class battlecruisers, and S-19 was decommissioned in 1934 and sunk in 1938.

Also, I finished Temeraire a week or two ago. It was good, and I think I'll read the second book since I already have it, but so far it's not something I think I'll read entirely through, series-wise.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Haha, I think that's what I thought at the start too... but by the end of the second or third book I was committed :D
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia

VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

CuriousCnidarian wrote:
VeryAngryDeer wrote:
You. I like you. You have good taste. On another note though, the Walker, as well as Mahan, did exist, but were out of commission by the time WWII rolled around. Walker was decommissioned in 1922 and ultimately ended up as a damage control hulk and scuttled in 1941, whereas Mahan was decommissioned and sold for scrap in 1930. Fun Fact: Amagi was based off the cancelled (due to the 1922 Washington Naval Treaty) Amagi-class battlecruisers, and S-19 was decommissioned in 1934 and sunk in 1938.

Also, I finished Temeraire a week or two ago. It was good, and I think I'll read the second book since I already have it, but so far it's not something I think I'll read entirely through, series-wise.
I stand corrected!

Still, the universe the Destroyermen came from is clearly not ours. To give an example of another series I was thinking of: Axis Of Time. The author was very optimistic about our technological growth, though he did predict the iPad. In that series, the Multinational Force had fusion powered warships that had laser point defence, the British warships had supercavitating hulls so they could move at 100 knots, the Australian submarine had supercavitating torpedoes, all the ships except Sutanto and Nuku had "Combat Intelligence" computers capable of operating warships and commanding battles all on their own, the marines had caseless ammunition... and the predicted "iPads" had special skins that could soak up thermal and solar energy to recharge with.

... this was supposed to be the state of affairs in 2021. So definitely not our timeline.
CuriousCnidarian

VeryAngryDeer wrote:I stand corrected!

Still, the universe the Destroyermen came from is clearly not ours.
This is true. I've talked with Anderson before (and ate dinner with him, to brag a bit ;) ) and from what I recall, I don't believe any character or element in the Destroyermen universe came from my own timeline. Some timelines, like Walker's, are closer to our own than others, however. (See: The Republic with their 12th century Roman Empire influence). Pass of Fire was by far my favorite in the series so far, and I can't wait for Winds of Wrath. Though I do worry that I won't be able to make the yearly get-together because of my study abroad in May.