5%
Yes, I have several.
No votes

Total votes: 215

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: Fursuits: do you own one?

Post by Hlaoroo »

Douglas Collier wrote:For an early birthday present, my dad is basically sponsoring me to build a fursuit for myself - expect to see Douglas sometime before the end of October. :)
That's fantastic, Doug! I can't wait to see! :D
I'm jealous now. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I have a question(or ten) about fursuits. How much to they obscure vision? And like, how hard are they to get on, and also, how hot does it usually get in one?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

For the last one, I would assume that if you live in a hot climate, it can become an oven.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

SuperStar wrote:I have a question(or ten) about fursuits. How much to they obscure vision? And like, how hard are they to get on, and also, how hot does it usually get in one?
Generally, you have no peripheral vision. I don't imagine they're super-difficult to get on, but once you're wearing one... you'll roast. Pop in some potatoes, carrots, and onions. ;3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Dissension wrote:
SuperStar wrote:I have a question(or ten) about fursuits. How much to they obscure vision? And like, how hard are they to get on, and also, how hot does it usually get in one?
Generally, you have no peripheral vision. I don't imagine they're super-difficult to get on, but once you're wearing one... you'll roast. Pop in some potatoes, carrots, and onions. ;3
So I guess you could say you become... Near sighted 8-)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I can actually answer all of these! I've been watching furry videos recently including some panels at furcons for first-time fursuiters. I highly recommend looking some of them up.

So here's the answers:
1.) That really depends on your head. You'll have to learn what you can and can't see for yourself when you're in it. Generally speaking though, fursuiters can't see much below or above them. Sideways vision can vary a lot though depending on the angle and position of the eyes. Some furries can see plenty to the sides but nothing directly in front and some can see directly in front and nothing to the sides. So yeah, that really depends. Having a handler (someone to guide you around and point out dangers or interesting things and work as crowd control) is definitely very important for those who are new to suiting.

2.) How hard they are to get on and off also depends on the construction of the suit. Some have a zip in the back, some in the front, so that makes a definite difference. Hand-paws/gloves can be hard to get on if they're really big or if they have large claws attached. As far as I know heads tend to slide on and off pretty easily. Things like wings can be fiddly with suits especially if they're attached to the arms. Tails I think are usually fairly manageable. As far as I know they're usually either attached to the suit itself or to a belt around the wearer's waist, depending on the size and weight. Putting clothes or costumes on over the fursuit can also make getting in and out harder.

3.) Pretty darn hot. One fursuiter has a heat sensor in his fursuit head and he's recorded it getting up to 110-120F (43.3-48.9C) in there. Obviously this will vary depending on what the suit is made out of, whether it's a partial or full suit, and whether you're out in the heat/cold or inside in the warmth/AC. You definitely need to be prepared for heat though so bring lots of water and stay hydrated. Many fursuiters have a variety of cooling devices too, such as fans to stick in their head's mouth to cool them or vests (either ice/coolant stuff or electric) to wear on their body under the suit to help keep cool. You can either try them yourself to see what works best or you can talk to experienced suiters and see what works for them. I know that Tycho wears a coolant vest in his suit that he freezes in the freezer before putting it on. Just be careful not to get freezer burn if you do something like that.

Wow, I sound like I've been suiting for years now, don't I? :P Fun fact: I've never touched or seen a fursuit on my side of the computer screen. I'd love to get one though!

Feel free to ask any other questions you have and we'll be glad to answer them!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Thanks y'all for the answers. I don't intend to fursuit at all really, but I just wanted to understand more about them. Here in Thailand it can reach 120 degrees during hot season in some afternoons, and I'm used to it, so if I ever fursuit in colder regions I might be able to handle it.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hope that you will be able to navigate by just touch! At least the padding makes sure you won't get roasted too much. :lol:
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Big toony eyes made of transparent mesh usually have a better field of vision than more realistic eyes where one can only see out of the tear ducts.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I always thought the cartoony eyes were cuter anyway.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

tychoaussie wrote:Did I mention that a few weeks ago, I actually TAUGHT one of my ecology courses while wearing my fursuit?

Tycho Aussie - last day of class, ISP203L at Michigan State University.

:)

It seems that you're not alone...
I just found this pic, but I have no idea who that is

(But don't worry, your suit is much cooler!)
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That is awful. D:
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That Minion first is awful. It looks like a squished Corn Pop.
Panhead

Post by Panhead »

Woah! The idea of a fursuit was weird to me until I saw this one. It's so cool! :D
.I just wasted 10 seconds of your life.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Tycho or the minion one?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Panhead

Post by Panhead »

Obviously NOT the minion!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well you really didn't specify so he couldn't know. Just because he is a shapeshifter doesn't mean that he knows what you are thinking.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

but I do know what you're thinking :shock:
(I knew what you meant, I was just messing around. Tycho is a pretty awesome suit)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Panhead

Post by Panhead »

:) Well what am I thinking now?
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

I wonder if anyone has used the EZcooldown vest or not. I saw their vendor at AC one time.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That depends. Does it work?
Douglas Collier

Progress is being made! I now have feet and lower legs almost complete. :D They'll look better with fur.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

They look great, Doug!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Yeah that looks really fantastic! I'm curious, what's the base material made of? Foam, resin...?

Wow building your own suit must be so exciting!
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Douglas Collier

Foam. I'm going to make the head base out of resin, though.

Actually it's nerve-wracking! One mistake and my OCD would never let me forget it. But I think the finished product will be worth it. :)
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

You're making your fursuit, that's cool! :D
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Douglas Collier wrote:Foam. I'm going to make the head base out of resin, though.

Actually it's nerve-wracking! One mistake and my OCD would never let me forget it. But I think the finished product will be worth it. :)
Oh Doug! That's really very awesome!
It'll be good to get some more fursuiter Housepets readers posting their photos on this thread!

- - -

By the way, on the EZcooldown vest. I cannot vouch for them personally, but I think that they are likely a really good product. They use, i think, Glaciertek cooling packs.

On the issue of Glaciertek: I purchased a Glaciertek cooling vest in the summer of 2012. It 2014, one of the packs sprung a leak, so I tossed it out, thinking I would have to order a replacement. Then, this summer, I put my remaining packs into the snack drawer of the refrigerator to cool them, as I prepared for some fursuiting. Well.... I learned to never put them in the snack drawer, as I came home to find my son had mistaken the frozen packs as a pack of vacuum-sealed burritos, and he had cut them out, and was packing one for lunch.

oops. :( That was a $129 mistake...Good thing these packs are non-toxic, though I hate to think what they taste like.

So I figured I had nothing to lose, and I sent this email to Glaciertek:

"One of my packs sprung a leak last fall, and my son just mistook another of my packs to be a package of burritos. He cut it apart and was getting ready to eat it. Would this perhaps be covered under warranty?"

The director of Glaciertek emailed me back the next day that they still had my purchase record, and as the original purchaser, that they would indeed warranty the cooling packs. In fact ,they put a brand new set in the mail, along with a return shipping label for my 'defective and partially eaten' packs. I guess they got a good chuckle out of it. My replacement packs arrived less than a week later, and I was nice & cool for my next fursuiting gig.

So, Glaciertek customer service flat-out ROCKS, and if I need another cooling vest, I will buy it from Glaciertek again. I own the following vest:

http://store.coolvest.com/concealable-cooling-vest/

If you hunt around for a coupon code, or if you call via voice, you can sometimes ask for and receive a 10% off discount.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

tychoaussie wrote:The director of Glaciertek emailed me back the next day that they still had my purchase record, and as the original purchaser, that they would indeed warranty the cooling packs. In fact ,they put a brand new set in the mail, along with a return shipping label for my 'defective and partially eaten' packs. I guess they got a good chuckle out of it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's just funny. I'm glad that you got them replaced so easily. Probably just because the lauged so much.
I remember to have had a teacher who only excepted excuses for being late that he never heard before. Maybe they have something similar and replace them if you have an absurd enough story.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Douglas Collier

Finally got a duct tape dummy made. Hopefully I'll be able to get some fur sometime soon.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Gah, every time I go to a furry event I end up wanting a fursuit. So many cute and cool fursuits at Rocky Mountain Fur Con. Everybody wants to hug you or take a picture or something!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Did you take pictures with any fursuiters?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

if he did she won't post them :P
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Don't remind him Brent. She may forget for a second and we'll finally find out if Sleet's a guy or girl! *Shot*
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Too late! I think she caught onto us! Quick! To the getaway vehicle!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

All my pictures are on my phone right now anyway, and I haven't really gotten off my tail to get them on my computer anyway. :P
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

For those that have fursuits, is it better to make one or to commission one?
I'm pretty sure that commissioning one would give me a better quality one but the price is kinda daunting.

So what do you guys think? What are the pros and cons of each?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Douglas Collier

In my experience, making a suit yourself can be quite fun and gratifying, and it is quite a bit cheaper. There are plenty of free tutorials online that can help you as well. However, it can be frustrating if you don't know what you're doing, so if you're not very confident in your abilities or don't have a friend experienced in sewing to help you, it might not be the best option.

In short, if you like a challenge and want to save some money, and aren't afraid of setbacks, making your own suit might be the best choice.
I don't know anything about commissioning suits, but I've heard you get exactly what you pay for, so it'd probably be better in the long run to commission a more expensive and talented suit builder.

-----

Well, my bodysuit is just about done - all that's left is to do is a little tailoring and some shaving. :)

Last edited by Douglas Collier on Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Great progress, it looks good, despite the small photos. :P ;)
HoundInATree

Post by HoundInATree »

Well, after seeing that I was wondering about costs and suppliers, because it looks like you've done a good job there. I was trying to find a supplier in the UK. Those that I find had limited choices. So has anyone here who's made a fursuit ordered from the UK?
My tree now has a café in it. Yay?
Hlaoroo wrote:In Soviet Russia, TreeInAHound!

RP Character(s)
Albert Grant, Sunset Plateau
Larkin Dewolfe, Chivalry Residences
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Nice job, Douglas. :)