The strange and not so strange fear thread

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

lasthunter

Re: The strange and not so strange fear thread

Post by lasthunter »

the thunderstorms.....

i never am relaxed when they hit but i never am scared...only sad, it reminds me of when i was little and my family was whole....when my dad didn't leave my mom and my brother didn't get arrested....it reminds me of how much Ive grown and suffered over the years....only sadness in the darkness of the storm's.
i am the one who shall fight the mods, i am the one who shall find the loop holes and hidden ways, i am the one who shall lead with the flag, i am part of the rebellion, and i am its weapon.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

@Gabe: It must be.

@lasthunter: See, that I can fathom. I can fathom someone finding thunderstorms exciting (though I don't--I find them scary and overwhelming) but I cannot fathom someone finding it relaxing. I'm sorry to hear that, though.... :( *hugs*

Anyway, that's probably going to be it for me talking about it. I'm not trying to "convert" anyone or make them feel badly for feeling that way or resent me for what I'm saying. I just cannot understand that, and it frustrates me, especially when it seems to be such a frequent thing....
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Ask a scientist. Not just a neurologist. Not just a psychiatrist. Not just an anthropologist, but to any generic scientist!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I never fear the dark for I have...

an Anubis Night Light!

"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Truth be told, I doubt that having Anubis, the Egyptian god of death, sitting in my room all the time, would be very comforting. I just sleep with my main light on.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

.....I for one have always liked Anubis, he is pretty much the kindest out of all the Egyptian gods (as in the one most likely not to murder you.) and in the Egyptian culture death is respected and praised not feared......I do not fear death. :D
i am the one who shall fight the mods, i am the one who shall find the loop holes and hidden ways, i am the one who shall lead with the flag, i am part of the rebellion, and i am its weapon.
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

Strange fear... excessive surrealism. It makes my head hurt a lot, and when I get those kinds of dreams, I tend to consider them as nightmares rather than 'fun' or weird dreams.

Not so strange... echinoderms: starfishes, sea urchins and sea cucumbers.
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

lasthunter wrote:.....I for one have always liked Anubis, he is pretty much the kindest out of all the Egyptian gods (as in the one most likely not to murder you.) and in the Egyptian culture death is respected and praised not feared......I do not fear death. :D
Death is not to be feared but neither is it to be praised. There's a reason we associate it with negative feelings--we were not made to die.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

ChewyChewy wrote: Death is not to be feared but neither is it to be praised. There's a reason we associate it with negative feelings--we were not made to die.
That's debatable, since everything in the physical world seems to have a life expectancy.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Actually, per the forum rules, it's not debatable, given religious or otherwise controversial discussion is not allowed. :3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

Dissension wrote:Actually, per the forum rules, it's not debatable, given religious or otherwise controversial discussion is not allowed. :3
he's right so lets just start with a new fear....
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Fear of going insane maybe?
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

TinFoilHats wrote:Fear of going insane maybe?
Ok we'll start with that. Is there anyone out there afraid of going insane?
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Gabe54125 wrote:fear of heights ?
Yes, somehow. But I have no problems with the hights if there is something around me, it can be a glas-cabin, or a railing 1,60m high or whatever. Doesn't matter if there is a 100 meter abyss. But beeing on a ladder is not so easy, it's ok for the first meter but it should be not much higher.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

My fear of heights is really strange.

I don't really have a fear of heights except when I'm on an extended extension ladder. It could be secured to the ground, bolted at the top, and I would still feel uneasy going up or down it. Once I'm off of it, heights no longer affect me again.

It's not even with a step ladder, just an extention one. I could climb to the top of a 12 foot tall step ladder with 6 inches of wobble at the top and be just fine. It would be like: "I'm at the top of the ladder, let me see if it's stable." *Tries to wiggle the ladder* CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK "Meh. Seems safe enough to me." But put me on a totally stable extension ladder, and all of the sudden I'm nervous.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

JeffCvt wrote:My fear of heights is really strange.

I don't really have a fear of heights except when I'm on an extended extension ladder. It could be secured to the ground, bolted at the top, and I would still feel uneasy going up or down it. Once I'm off of it, heights no longer affect me again.

It's not even with a step ladder, just an extention one. I could climb to the top of a 12 foot tall step ladder with 6 inches of wobble at the top and be just fine. It would be like: "I'm at the top of the ladder, let me see if it's stable." *Tries to wiggle the ladder* CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK "Meh. Seems safe enough to me." But put me on a totally stable extension ladder, and all of the sudden I'm nervous.
Do you work as a fireman? Kewl!

JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

No, I don't. By extension ladder, I meant one of these:
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Kateleo007

Post by Kateleo007 »

JeffCvt wrote:No, I don't. By extension ladder, I meant one of these:
I've never been on one of those but they do look scary.

Jack the Eevee and Barb the Buizel

George "Geo" Walker......S-8 P-4 E-7 C-7 I-6 A-7 L-3
Thank you kurowolfe for the banner!

3DS Friend Code: 1006 0495 4065
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

im ok with ladders. :D

well it may be because im a carpenter's son and Ive seen far scarier things
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Kateleo007 wrote:
JeffCvt wrote:No, I don't. By extension ladder, I meant one of these:
I've never been on one of those but they do look scary.
They're not really scarier than any other big ladder.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

ever been on top of a ninety story building out in the open with the wind blowing.....yea try that on for size. :lol:
VEB152
Location: Land of vowels with dashes and consonants with commas

Post by VEB152 »

That's not scary at all. I really don't care about any heights that are more than 100-200 meters.
But any height between 1 and ~200 meters gets me scared somehow... It's like 'What? Going to the top of a scyscraper? It's fine, changing a light bulb is far more terrifying!' :|
Yes, that is about the best thing to write that I could think of.
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

:D im not talking about being in the room.....ever been on the tippity top outside?
VEB152
Location: Land of vowels with dashes and consonants with commas

Post by VEB152 »

It was lower than the 90th floor, but yes. Can't say that it was legal, though, but that was the only thing that made me nervous back then :D
Yes, that is about the best thing to write that I could think of.
Mickey the Luxray

JohnWillow wrote:I can't stand the thought of passing a mirror in a dark room, and when I go upstairs with all the lights off I usually keep one eye closed so I don't see into my kitchen. I think the second one is more an irrational fear that I'll see my old dog standing in the corridor.

Oooh, I hate passing mirrors in general. Blame EVERY GHOST IN MY HOUSE MOVIE EVER for that.
And the other fear... I was once sleeping and I woke up in the middle of the night. I had a bookcase in front of my bed at the time, and there was a black kitten walking in place... UPSIDE DOWN, on the underside of the second shelf. I knew I was hallucinating since we aren't allowed to have a cat in our house but **** that freaked me out. I slept on the downstairs couch that night.
I also sometimes see a white and black cat for a split second in my peripheral vision. My friend had a cat that looked ominously similar to it, but it's dead now...
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

"yawn" ghost cats really? your scared of ghost cats.......well i guess that we all have our own fears....but cats? can you please explain why you find ghost cats scary?
Mickey the Luxray

lasthunter wrote:"yawn" ghost cats really? your scared of ghost cats.......well i guess that we all have our own fears....but cats? can you please explain why you find ghost cats scary?
Well it really startled me more than it scared me. But it was nonetheless surreal and I think it was my first indicator of insanity.
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

meh. once you start hearing a voice in your head telling you to attack someone with a box of fruit then you can claim insanity...until then you are only sick. :D
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

lasthunter wrote:meh. once you start hearing a voice in your head telling you to attack someone with a box of fruit then you can claim insanity...until then you are only sick. :D
I'm afraid of having a mental regretion and doing strange things that would haunt me forever and inmedeately after..... Again.
Last edited by Silly Zealot on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

yea you get used to stuff like that.....i currently have eight voice's in my head.....im a major crazy.
Mickey the Luxray

The only voice I'd not be scared to have in my head is the voice of Morgan Freeman.

On the other hand, the voice of Gordon Freeman would make me explode into a million tiny explosions that explode into a million tiny explosions ad infinitum.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:The only voice I'd not be scared to have in my head is the voice of Morgan Freeman.

On the other hand, the voice of Gordon Freeman would make me explode into a million tiny explosions that explode into a million tiny explosions ad infinitum.
I asked Gordon about his opinion on your comment, he said:"....."
It was very enlightening.

lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

my life is narrated by Morgan freeman........i could die now with no regrets....
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ever stood below a wind turbine and watched the blades swinging down at you? Chop chop. :D

I really don't like spiders or wasps.

Last time I got really scared though was going through Scream ar Madame Tussauds. It's pitch black, you've just got to follow the passage along, you can't see anything, and then WHAM! A ghoulish, bloodied person jumps out right beside you! Scares the willies out of you!

I'm not squeamish at the sight of blood or anything - that's kind of a prerequisite of studying to be a veterinrian. What gets me is the idea of pain. I hate the idea of causing it or seeing it being caused. That said, it's not really a fear - just an intense dislike.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Kateleo007

Post by Kateleo007 »

Yeah those haunted house places where they actually hire people are really scary! Went to the Halloween Haunt at knott's berry farm and I was crying. Yes, I know I'm a coward...

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Can't say I cried but I did shake for a good 10 minutes after!
I do highly recommend a visit to Madame Tussauds though - it is an amazing place. Just don't go through the Chamber of Horrors or Scream if you're faint hearted/squirmish/young because it can be frightening and very gruesome and realistic.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Kateleo007

Post by Kateleo007 »

Hlaoroo wrote:Can't say I cried but I did shake for a good 10 minutes after!
I do highly recommend a visit to Madame Tussauds though - it is an amazing place. Just don't go through the Chamber of Horrors or Scream if you're faint hearted/squirmish/young because it can be frightening and very gruesome and realistic.
I don't think I'll be doing that, but thank you for the recommendation. Personally, I prefer to be the one scaring people.

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Teehee. Me too! I once scared a friend who was doing the dishes and she spun around with a huge carving knife in her hand! I guess it kind of made us even! :lol:
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Hlaoroo wrote:Teehee. Me too! I once scared a friend who was doing the dishes and she spun around with a huge carving knife in her hand! I guess it kind of made us even! :lol:
That's one thing you should NEVER do!! :shock:
What the heck were you thinking?!
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

TinFoilHats wrote:
Hlaoroo wrote:Teehee. Me too! I once scared a friend who was doing the dishes and she spun around with a huge carving knife in her hand! I guess it kind of made us even! :lol:
That's one thing you should NEVER do!! :shock:
What the heck were you thinking?!
meh. i do that all the time......but im more extreme than that, i prefer to hide in the shadows and in between the couch's and inside dark kitchen cabinets....