Decade in Review

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Anthroguy101

Decade in Review

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Well, another decade has drawn to a close in our lives, and as I look back I have mixed feelings about it. A lot of bad stuff happened, as well as some good stuff. I would like us all to take some time to remember what happened, look back on memories, and try to predict how it we will remember it.

I can still remember New Year's Eve 2000. Sadly, I could not stay up that night. I was in first grade, 7 years old, in Savannah, GA. It was chilly, but there was no snow. Snow is a pretty abnormal occurrence in Georgia, and if it does happen, we all go outside and stare at the sky like turkeys. I remember making this clay thing in art class, celebrating the year 2000. I was still innocent, and like most of us, we were not prepared for what happened next.

September 11, 2001. We will always remember that day. The news was nonstop. I remember crying, asking "Why, mommy, why?" Unlike other questions I asked, there was no answer. No possible explanation. We went to church that day out of respect, to say our prayers for the victims of that awful day.

In the summer of 2003, we finally moved away from the South and to Cheyenne, Wyoming. The reason we moved away from Savannah was because of the heat and humidity (and hence, mosquitoes and gnats) and because the school system there outright sucked. Also, my Dad found a better job. The people and church were friendly there, and my happiest memories were in that house and around the town. I loved it so much, I still dream about it often. The only complaint I have about the place was that they put me in special ed when I went to Middle School, which I disliked, but the rest of the community more than made up for it.

Then in February 2005, we moved here, to Warren, PA. My Dad won't let me tell you too much, but here's how I feel: If I found out I was going to live in a house with no insulation, combined with some of the most un-friendly an incredibly interesting anecdote in the state of Pennsyltucky, I would have rather died of starvation. Now, here I am, and it sucks. This town contains over 9,000 people whereas Cheyenne had over 60,000. 15,000 is my threshold of sanity, and this town is below it. I cannot, WILL NOT put up living in a town that is this small or smaller. There is absolutely nothing to do here, and there is no civilization for 60 miles (the closest being Erie, PA)! Believe it or not, there are more rednecks here and the people are stupider than either Cheyenne or Savannah. None of the churches are that friendly either. There is no mall (every store has left), and more people plan on leaving here than are moving in, for a good reason. Regardless of where I go to college, I am leaving here in 2011 and will not be telling anyone other than my parents goodbye. I will be glad to leave, and that will be the end of this miserable nightmare.

The only good memory I have here was working at the Obama campaign. There I actually did meet some friendly, polite and intelligent people, and I wish I could have gotten their contact information. We had like political views, of course, and I remember making calls to people (I remember a call where a woman said, "I'm voting for the white guy," but there were friendly people as well) and door-to-door canvassing. Those were good times. Although, I do have friends from all sides of the spectrum. I just don't see them anymore because of the schedule I have (and yes, when I moved here I came out of special ed, but that didn't compensate for anything).

Anyway, those are my memories, what are yours? What did you think of this decade as a whole? How do you think it will be remembered, and how will you remember it? What good things happened, and what bad things happened?

Good things: iPod, iPhone, Android, Prius, Tesla Roadster, Windows XP, Windows 7, Terabyte hard drives, PS2, PS3, Nintendo Wii, and other tech goodies, as well as the election of the first non-white president Barack Obama. He may have his critics, but any president after Bush would have had a difficult task ahead of them.

Bad things: 9/11, A recession, the greatest recession since the Great Depression (in my opinion both sides are responsible in their own ways), lower standard of living, the Iraq War, subway bombings (UK), airport security, Minnesota bridge collapse, the list goes on.
Hipstar

Re: Decade in Review

Post by Hipstar »

also the furry fandom sort of blew up this decade, as did the rest of the internet culture. i see it as one more escape from our parents. much better than going to lover's lane.
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

lol
furry fandom > 9/11

this decade lots of stuff happened
next decade lots more stuff will happen
good luck, and don't die, guys.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

i know people who would say furries are worse than 9-11.

i have friends who are goons.

AH NO!
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
Divinaparadiso4

Post by Divinaparadiso4 »

This last year was pretty crazy. The plethora of celebrity deaths (even to this date). Anything Kayne has ever done. Oh and Balloon Boy that was fun to watch even if it was a total hoax. And the furry fandom is always tight.
Last edited by Divinaparadiso4 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey look a distraction!!!!
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

Divinaparadiso4 wrote:This last year was pretty crazy. The plethora of celebrity deaths (even to this date). .
it was a wonderful year to have more important stories be ignored by mainstream media because OMG MJ'S DEAD BAWWWWWWW!!!
Divinaparadiso4 wrote:Anything Kayne has ever done.
imma let you finish but Kanye had the best interruption of all time. ALL TIME
Divinaparadiso4 wrote:And the furry freedom is always tight
IMMA FURREH!!!
Attachments
1262122760008.jpg
1262122760008.jpg (29.51 KiB) Viewed 3334 times