Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Punchy wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I just watched a British horror film called "Deathwatch". Its about a squad of World War I era British soldiers who get lost after a battle and wander into an abandoned trench full of the bodies of men who appear as if they turned on each other. They soon start to suspect that something is in the trench with them trying to drive them insane and kill them. Its kind of like "Carnival of Souls" and "The Evil" set during the First World War.
Sounds interesting, gonna have to look for that one.
"Carnival of Souls" is a favorite of mine.
Then you will like this one. It has a lot of the same fear and paranoia.
Seth wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:
I also got a new copy of "Demons"! Its one of my all time favorite movies. A mysterious man gives people free tickets to a movie. One of the patrons puts on a demon mask that is part of the lobby displays and scratches her face. As the movie starts to play a character in the film does the same thing and the film begins to mirror events in the theater. The scratch on her face turns her into a fanged, clawed monster that attacks and infects the other patrons.
I found a dubbed english copy on youtube. I'm gonna check it out soon. It's been on my radar for a while.
You won't regret it! This movie rocks! Imagine this: A man on a motorcycle killing the monsters with a samurai sword to the tune of "Fast As A Shark" by Accept.
Well shoot man who could say no to that level of rad?
And I'll keep Deathwatch on my radar. Anything that gets good carnival of souls comparisons sounds like it's worth my time. THat is one of the scariest films I've ever seen, and it doesn't look like anything a student couldn't shoot easily with the equipment avaialble today. It's just executed so darn well.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Dracula Untold, and I enjoyed it.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

I haven't been to the movies for a while now (the last one I went to see was "The Dark Knight rises"). Yesterday, I caught the tail end of The Haunting (1963), which always gave me the shivers as a child. A real black-and-white psychological thriller... featuring the actor (Russ Tamblyn) who played Riff in West Side Story.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

The local dollar theater played "Guardians of the Galaxy" so I had to go see it again. It is such a good movie.

I finally got to see "White Tiger/Белый тигр" this weekend. It took it two years to get a North American released. Entertainment One released it as a barebones DVD with just a trailer as the special feature and some new box art that looks like it was thrown together at the last minute in photoshop, complete with a picture of a random tank (a post war model) and a photo of a Russian soldier with a PPSh-41. They apparently gave it a brand new dub job too. In the international trailer, the film was dubbed by a British cast, and that is probably the version that was used for the UK release along with the original poster art. This version was dubbed by an American cast.

This is a film from the book by Ilya Boyashov called "The Tank Crewman, or the White Tiger" and is homage to Herman Melville's `Moby Dick'. This is about a tank driver whose whole tank squadron get taken out by a single Tiger tank. He is the sole survivor and yet has 90% burns, which should mean agonising death. But no, he makes a `miraculous' recovery. Except he has been slightly scarred and has lost his memory, Ahab only lost a leg and part of his mind.

The Tiger tank is painted ghostly white and appears out of the mist and smoke, it causes massive destruction and then disappears without a trace. Even the tracks made by its treads just stop as if it dematerialized. The amnesiac tank driver seems to have a supernatural connections with tanks as if they were living creatures. Almost like a type of psychometry, the tanks can tell him their story, tell him were the tiger is and warn him of impending danger. Because of his strange intuition and the mystical nature of the tiger he is give a T-34/85 tank specially modified to fight the tiger with minimal crew.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Well, I watched 'Fury' at the local cinema last weekend. Didn't do research on it, so I had no idea what I was expecting.
Turns out it was set in WWII, with the plot centered around a team of five soldiers who man their beloved tank.
If you wish to go see this movie, I should warn you that it gets VERY violent at times, but nevertheless, I thought it was pretty good. It shows how war can bring out the best and worst of people, and I thought this film captured it quite well.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

John Wick is the best movie that I never ever want to see again.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:John Wick is the best movie that I never ever want to see again.
Dare we ask why?

I just got some movies in the mail today and I am very excited! After getting "Demons", I now have "Demons 2". After the events in "Demons" the entire city of Berlin is walled off to stop the spread of the demon creatures. The sequel takes place in Hamburg, were in an ultra modern apartment building, complete with electronic locks and shatter resistant windows, a group of party goers are attacked by their host who was transformed into a demon creature by an apparition that came through her television. Everyone is trapped inside with the monsters who could escape and cause another demon plague. My favorite creature in the film is a little baby demon. It actually looks kind of cute and makes the most pitiful sounds when it gets hurt.

I also got copies of the original "The Wicker Man" and, after seeing a screening of it 2 years ago, they finally released the Director's Cut of "Nightbreed"! I am going to devote an entire evening to that one! and finally "Rainbow Rocks".

So, between the horror movies and My Little Pony people probably think I am a serial killer or something.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Because the movie doesn't just have a little puppy die. It has that puppy crawl over to her unconscious owner of one day, leaving a trail of blood behind her, AND THEN dying.

I am a dog lover. I did not need those levels of feels.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Big Hero 6, and it was great!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I still need to see that! I heard good things about it. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

I finally watched the Director's Cut of "Nightbreed" and it was amazing! Although it does not have all the footage that the Cabal Cut had it is still an incredible motion picture. They found about 40 minutes of footage including the film's original ending. The studio inferred and made Clive Barker shoot new footage and a different ending. On top of that they tried to market the film as a slasher film instead of the dark fantasy film that it truly is.

I also finally saw the slasher films "Terror Train" and "Curtains". I liked "Curtains" even if it was a little disjointed. It turns out that they shot about 45 minutes of the film then the production shut down and new footage was shot about a year later with a new director.
-Virgil
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Dumb and Dumber To, and it was pretty funny.
Radio Blue Heart

I have posted about it here before, but as absurd it sound Uwe Boll has actually started to make some good films. Now most of his films are terrible, films like "House of the Dead" and "Alone in the Dark" which rank among the worst films of all time. Most of those films were produced under German and Canadian tax credits. The producers did not care what got made as long as the could get a write off on their taxes (to give you an idea of how this works, when the film "Terror Train" was made in the early 80s the Canadian government gave producers a 400% tax credit. That meant for every dollar they spent on the film, hiring Canadian actors and crew people, they could get four dollars written off their tax. That is if a film costs one million dollars, you get out of paying four million in taxes.) So the producers don't care what gets made or how successful it is. They only care about putting together a deal and getting shelter from taxation.

But, Boll has created films that are competently made works of art. Previously I mentioned his films "Assault on Wall Street" and "Rampage", both angry, subversive films. I have recently watched the sequel to "Rampage", "Rampage: Capital Punishment" and "Attack on Darfur" (aka "Darfur"). Much like its predecessor, "Rampage: Capital Punishment" is just as provocative and rage filled. "Attack on Darfur" is a horrifying dramatization of the genocide committed in Darfur. It is easily one of the most disturbing films I have ever watched. It unflinchingly recreates the atrocities committed their.

On a lighter, far less serious note I have finally seen John Carpenter's "Big Trouble in Little China" for the first time. I liked it and if you like oddball fantasy films like "Army of Darkness" then you would probably like this. There have been some accusation against this film for being racist or reinforcing Chinese stereotypes. I can't really speak for the Chinese-American community but I did not see anything overtly offensive about it. It is just a fantasy martial arts film in the mold of the old Shaw Brothers films from Hong Kong. I think most of the drama came from the fact that the villain of the film, Lo Pan, was dressed like a Mandarin. I drummed up comparisons to Fu Manchu. But even then Lo Pan dresses the way he does because he is a 2000 year old magician. So he is simply dressing like a nobleman from ancient China.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

If anything, "Big Trouble" makes fun of those Chinese stereotypes.
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

Has anyone seen Mockingjay: Part One yet? I wanted to go see it later this week and I want someone's opinion on it before I go. :D
Liam

Post by Liam »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:On a lighter, far less serious note I have finally seen John Carpenter's "Big Trouble in Little China" for the first time. I liked it and if you like oddball fantasy films like "Army of Darkness" then you would probably like this. There have been some accusation against this film for being racist or reinforcing Chinese stereotypes. I can't really speak for the Chinese-American community but I did not see anything overtly offensive about it. It is just a fantasy martial arts film in the mold of the old Shaw Brothers films from Hong Kong. I think most of the drama came from the fact that the villain of the film, Lo Pan, was dressed like a Mandarin. I drummed up comparisons to Fu Manchu. But even then Lo Pan dresses the way he does because he is a 2000 year old magician. So he is simply dressing like a nobleman from ancient China.
Penwrite wrote:If anything, "Big Trouble" makes fun of those Chinese stereotypes.
That's the brilliant thing about BTiLC, Kurt Russel's character thinks he's in a typical action movie of the period and he's the John McClane-like hero, while actually he's in an Asian fantasy martial arts movie that just happens to be set in America and he's the comedy sidekick. His Asian-American buddy is the skilled fighter who leads the battle. It's really one big love letter to Wuxia films, from the fight choreography to the elite miniboss henchmen.

One of Carpenter's best works.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So, I've heard that Mel Brooks is going to lend his voice to Hotel Transylvania 2. I really need to see the first one. :lol:

Edit: IT'S HERE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

STAR WARRRRSSSSSSS!

*collapses foaming at the mouth*
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Interstellar, and it was great!
Radio Blue Heart

Liam wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:On a lighter, far less serious note I have finally seen John Carpenter's "Big Trouble in Little China" for the first time. I liked it and if you like oddball fantasy films like "Army of Darkness" then you would probably like this. There have been some accusation against this film for being racist or reinforcing Chinese stereotypes. I can't really speak for the Chinese-American community but I did not see anything overtly offensive about it. It is just a fantasy martial arts film in the mold of the old Shaw Brothers films from Hong Kong. I think most of the drama came from the fact that the villain of the film, Lo Pan, was dressed like a Mandarin. I drummed up comparisons to Fu Manchu. But even then Lo Pan dresses the way he does because he is a 2000 year old magician. So he is simply dressing like a nobleman from ancient China.
Penwrite wrote:If anything, "Big Trouble" makes fun of those Chinese stereotypes.
That's the brilliant thing about BTiLC, Kurt Russel's character thinks he's in a typical action movie of the period and he's the John McClane-like hero, while actually he's in an Asian fantasy martial arts movie that just happens to be set in America and he's the comedy sidekick. His Asian-American buddy is the skilled fighter who leads the battle. It's really one big love letter to Wuxia films, from the fight choreography to the elite miniboss henchmen.

One of Carpenter's best works.
I could not have said it better myself.
Penwrite wrote:So, I've heard that Mel Brooks is going to lend his voice to Hotel Transylvania 2. I really need to see the first one. :lol:

Edit: IT'S HERE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

STAR WARRRRSSSSSSS!

*collapses foaming at the mouth*
And all they had to do to make sequels to the beloved classics was to take George Lucas out of the equation. JJ Abrams did excellent work with the reboot of Star Trek so I can see good things happening with this one.

Over the holiday I finally saw "The Lon Ranger" and I know why it failed so miserably. A lot of it was just unfunny, it kept trying to change tones from serious to humorous to often with little transition. And the worst thing it did, the cardinal sin of movie making, it was long and boring. They could have easily cut thirty minutes out of this film and improved its pacing. Another thing they could have cut out was the wrap around segments of the little boy in the museum. It was pointless and kept interrupting the story.

I also saw "Nightmare City/Incubo Sulla Cittá Contaminata" in its original Italian dialogue with English subtitles. It was a treat because my DVD copy only has the English dub. It was part of a zombie themed marathon that included "Night of the Living Dead", "Fido", "Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead" and a documentary on the history of zombie cinema and its effect on pop culture. It was sparse but it had a lot of interesting information. I also saw a film that I had not seen in many years, "The Wraith".
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Saw interstellar. Wasn't a fan. That was just a really bad script, like I try not to be that guy but any jerk with a couple semesters of screenwriting could have written that. The exposition was so painful and the characters were so 2-D that it took me out of enjoying the cool mind bending ideas later in the film . I really could have just stayed home and watched 2001 again : p

On a better note, I get to re-watch and write a paper on Ghost Dog: The way of the samurai and talk about how it uses 90's east coast rap to make its point about urban violence. My professor is a pretty cool dude.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Saw Big Hero 6 - now I want a Baymax! :lol: Not my favorite Disney movie as far as plot development goes, but the characters were great (though some were less developed than others) and the setting was amazing. I've got to say the premovie short was awesome all by itself, too. ^^
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I like how diverse the characters in Big Hero 6 are and how well they interact together. Lots of potential for a sequel there.

Torn on the pre-movie short though. It was adorable, but as someone with several dogs I cringed at a lot of the foods that pup was eating. :?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I liked it a lot, but I was just realized today that Big Hero 6 is a very hard movie to explain the plot to. It just doesn't sound good unless you actually see it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

It's kind of a deconstruction of the "death by origin story" you see so often in superhero and action movies.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from a fathom event screening of RiffTrax Live: Santa Claus, and it was really funny!
Radio Blue Heart

I saw John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness" again. I had not seen it since I was little and it is still scary.

The premier is still over a week away but I am really excited for the next Hobbit movie.
-Virgil
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Penguins of Madagascar, and it was pretty good.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I just rewatched Guardians of the Galaxy. You can actually hear Rocket laugh a little when he says he needs that dude's prosthetic leg.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

This past weekend I marathoned a bunch of Christmas themed horror films to get into the holiday mood. I started with Bob Clark's classic "Black Christmas", which is one of the scariest horror films you will ever see.

Then I watched "Silent Night, Deadly Night". Other than being one of the more mean spirited and cruel slasher films of the early 80s, it created outrage and concerned mothers picketed the film to try to have it pulled because it would scare children. As if children are going to get into a theater to see an R-rated film. The DVD edition of that was paired with "Silent Night, Deadly Night 2" which is one of the worst films you will ever see. It is the source of the infamous "Garbage day!" meme. The film consists of some new material cut together with about 45 minutes of footage from the first film used as flashback sequences. One of the highlights on the disc was a collection of quotes from parents, school officials and film critics decrying the film. One of the quotes was from has-been actor Mickey Rooney who showed his hypocrisy by later taking the role of the killer in "Silent Night, Deadly Night 5: The Toy Maker".

Finally, I watch "Silent Night", a remake of "Silent Night, Deadly Night" with a plot also inspired by an actual murder case. As far as remakes go, this one is actually pretty good. Normally I hate remakes as unnecessary and unscary attempts to make a quick buck on the original. But this one was aimed at fans of the series with plenty of references.

After the holiday themed films I watch the original Japanese cut of "Godzilla" (aka "Gojira"), and "Ms.45".

I've looking for a good copy of "Frankenstein Conquers The World" (aka "Frankenstein Vs Baragon") but its so out of print and so sought after that even a used copy in the worst shape is going for about $45. I hope it gets a re-release. I REALLY want to watch this film and it is the prequel to one my favorite kaiju movies "War of the Gargantuas".
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

So since the semester ended I've finally watched the toxic avenger and the 1978 version of invasion of the body snatchers. Both of those were awesome. The last 20 or do of IOTBS really stuck with me. Haunting stuff.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I finally got to see Interstellar before it left theaters! That was really good! I highly recommend it.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Oh yeah, some while ago I had time for Guardians of the Galaxy. Eh, not a bad movie, but I liked Captain America 2 better.

*loud knocking at door*

Huh, who in the world could that be at this time?

*opens door; roiling mountain of fanboys foaming at the mouth towers over house, blotting out the sun; the next instant the horde descends in a swift motion the force of a tsunami coming down on a harbor*

GAAAAAAGHHUURRRGGGLLLECONNECTION ERROR
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Didn't see big hero 6, but only because I want to see it at home. doens't feel like somethign worth of a theater trip... that's what the Hobbit was. :3

I find alot of "Big monster" movies are just awesome in movies. When i went to see this Hobbit movie? The introduction alone literally had me excited just watching it. I couldn't believe it.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Just saw the final Hobbit movie, and I completely respect anyone who thinks otherwise, but that might've been one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

I saw Horrible Bosses 2 yesterday with my boyfriend. I loved it. I saw Scarface for the first time a couple days ago. That movie was an absolute masterpiece; one of the few that have made me cry besides All Dogs Go To Heaven.
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
Liam

Post by Liam »

Penwrite wrote:Just saw the final Hobbit movie, and I completely respect anyone who thinks otherwise, but that might've been one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
We don't see eye to eye on a lot of movies...

...but agreed 100%. They should've stuck to one, at the very most two films to save the story and pacing.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Finally saw Pumpkinhead and to be honest it fell kinda flat for me. It was a cool monster and nothing about the movie was bad. But nothing really grabbed my attention or pulled me into the story. I'm not mad I own it now just not as excited as I thought I would be.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Into the Woods, and it was great!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I finally saw Even Horizon. It was a really cool movie. I loved the way it borrowed heavily from stuff like Alien while still doing its own thing. Laurence fishburne was great and the practical effects/ make-up were awesome.
My only complaint is that it was talked up way too much by my friends as one of the scarier things they's ever seen. I will admit that it was disturbing and eerie and there were definitely some very tense moments that got to me, but it didn't live up to the hype on that level. That's not the movie's fault though so I can't really blame it. Overall a really cool sci-fi horror movie. It's not in my top 10 or anything but it's a really good one.

Oh and I finally saw Boyz in tha hood (my dad's been talking it up for the past year or so) it was a cool urban drama type of movie. I really liked it. Not my favorite movie or anything but when it was done I was glad that I finally watched it. Ice Cube definitely delivered a good performance in it. I feel like his career as an actor has been up and down but having seen his debut I can see why it took off. He blew everyone but Laurence fishburne out of the water IMO.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Liam

Post by Liam »

Grave Encounters is a 2011 found footage indie presented as the raw footage of one of those "paranormal investigation" reality shows, only with the twist those guys actually encounter forces from beyond the grave (wouldn't be much of a horror movie without that). It's set in a knock-off of the infamous Danvers State Hospital and they tip their hats to their inspiration (the team interviews a contractor firm a lá Session 9). Things take a turn for the worse when the caretaker fails to show up in the morning to let them out of the building, the sun fails to rise and the building's layout appears to be different from what everyone remembers.

Sadly, it's a "better on paper than in practice" deal. The TV Tropes page oversells its qualities; the characters, as unsubtle parodies of the hosts of those stupid ghosthunting shows, just aren't sympathetic. The effect used for the ghosts is the same for those Youtube scare videos were normal faces are distorted into black blotches. Yeah...

An example of how good ideas are marred by insufficient budget.