Musician's Thread/Discussion

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

BassGroove

Musician's Thread/Discussion

Post by BassGroove »

If this has been tried/is currently a thread I apologize in advance. Anyway...

Post everything that you can tell us about your life as a musician (of any kind). What got you started, where are you now, where you want to be, equipment, bands you have been in or are in, your favorite style, etc.

Myself, I am a hardcore bassist. I guess the thing that got me started was way back in 2001 when I saw Ryan Martini slap the 5 string in the Mudvayne hit, "Dig." However I didn't start playing until 5 years ago when my sole inspiration was Geddy Lee of Rush. I have no particular style per se, but I am quite fond of chordal playing. I enjoy playing virtually every day and play in a band The Metro-nomes.

My weapon of choice is my Fender Deluxe-Active IV Jazz Bass. I use Ernie Ball hybrids as my string of choice and feed through a Fender Rumble 150 amp.

Tell us your story!
I don't ever remember someone telling me they got hurt from doing something smart -Myself
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Musician's Thread/Discussion

Post by Sleet »

Geddy Lee is an amazing bassist. <3

I'm also a bassist. I play a 5-string Ibanez Soundgear. I'm also a keyboardist; I have a studio piano, a Casio WK-110 and a Nord Lead 2X. And a percussionist! I have a drum set but it's been buried in my basement in all my family's useless crap so I haven't played it in a long time. :/ But I'll perform any of them as needed. I'm primarily a rock musician but I can play other styles too!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kouri
Banner Artist

Post by Kouri »

Yay! A musician thread!! :D

I'm a proud piano player myself. I took an interest in music early and my parents bought me a mini-keyboard when I was around 9 or 10 years old. I only toyed with it for about a year or two before I actually started trying to take it seriously. I think it was around the time I found a sort of "musical idol" in Amy Lee. In fact, the first full-fledged song I ever learned to play was "My Immortal." I've gotten pretty good over the years, but I'm still learning. Since I was entirely self-taught, I don't really have proper technique. Also, as much as I can read sheet music, I can't read and play at the same time, so if I want to play a song, I have to memorize it first. I mostly just play piano versions of songs I like (or ones that already have piano in them), which is mostly in the rock/alternative genre, but I am starting to move into more classical/contemporary kind of stuff. I don't have an actual piano myself :( but I do have a decent keyboard to practice with. Plus, they have a bunch of pianos in the music building at my university, so I tend to sneak around there a lot to practice.

I also have a nerd instrument in the trombone. Started playing in the 5th grade once they started offering band class, and it turned out that was the instrument I was best at. I played all through high school and was pretty much your typical band nerd. In fact, I still am a band nerd, but a much more respectable one. I'm a member of my college marching band, The Goin' Band from Raiderland, at Texas Tech University, and its allowed me to see a lot of new places and meet a lot of really cool people who generally just have an interest in playing music. I'll be starting my fourth (and last) year in the band next weekend when we start summer rehearsals before the semester starts up.

On a final note, I have to say that I always thought the bass guitar was the coolest out of all the typical rock band instruments. Sure, the lead guitarists might get all the glory, but the bass players are always the coolest ones ;)
I can't play any sort of guitar myself, though...
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I have one of those awful tenor voices. = P

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

I'm a singer with a range that is below Geddy Lee, but I used to do a passable Steve Perry. I can still put out some halfway decent covers of most of Brad Delp's vocals from anything by Boston (except the really high stuff - can't do that anymore). If it's Steve Miller, I have that covered - and REO Speedwagon songs are an absolute treat to sing, but they take a lot of body english to pull off.

I have a 1988 vintage Yahama RGZ621M prototype, serial number 8K200008 that I bought new in Australia and though I still fool with it and can power-chord it just fine, my solo work never got good enough. After 25 years of trying I finally threw in the towel and gave the guitar to my daughter who in eight months has surpassed what I could do even after 18 months of daily practice. I'm thinking of picking up a Les Paul custom and an extra amplifier so that we can work on songs together - perhaps that'll get me over the plateau.

Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I took piano lessons when I was younger, and I've kept at it after I stopped going. So I do "classical" piano pieces (and it takes me forever to learn them). :roll: I want to learn some impromptu stuff, so I can just veg every so often.
I have also played french horn since middle school, and absolutely love it. I play in my church orchestra, and that's probably about the highest level of talent I will ever achieve. ;) I love playing good french horn stuff, so I don't care as long as I get to play.
And I sing. I'm singing tenor in the barbershop choir here (which is ridiculously high. Why you sit up there all day?!?) But I love the baritone range, and I sing all the time, wherever I go, because it's fun! :D
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was taught traditional piano and as such never really developed an improvisational ability. Meanwhile most of my drumming technique came from formal education and style came from playing Rock Band, so I'm much looser and able to improvise there. Kinda weird.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

Sleet wrote:I was taught traditional piano and as such never really developed an improvisational ability. Meanwhile most of my drumming technique came from formal education and style came from playing Rock Band, so I'm much looser and able to improvise there. Kinda weird.
I would think that drumming is easier to improvise because you are the beat. I have to have a drum track for me to improvise on bass, otherwise I'm just completely lost.
I don't ever remember someone telling me they got hurt from doing something smart -Myself
Kouri
Banner Artist

Post by Kouri »

Sleet wrote:...most of my drumming technique came from formal education and style came from playing Rock Band, so I'm much looser and able to improvise there. Kinda weird.
I love playing drums on Rock Band! :mrgreen: I like to pretend that because of that, I might actually know my way around an actual drum set if I ever decided to take it up, but I'm pretty sure it's not that simple =P
Obbl wrote:I have also played french horn since middle school, and absolutely love it. I play in my church orchestra, and that's probably about the highest level of talent I will ever achieve. ;) I love playing good french horn stuff, so I don't care as long as I get to play.
I'm a sucker for orchestras and orchestral arrangements of things. I've noticed that good French horn sounds are an instant recipe for EPICNESS! 8-)
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I've got a Squier J bass and an acoustic guitar.
I began playing about 4 or 5 years ago 'cause a friend and I wanted to start a band, which did and didn't happen. I play just for fun every once in a while, I really should do it it more often though...
After listening to Santana III over and over again (along with the song "Soul Sacrifice") I'd like to get some conga drums.

Not really much, I just love listening to music and trying to play it :P
Panda Panda Panda
ZombieRaptor

Post by ZombieRaptor »

Well, I have been playing the euphonium (a low brass instrument about half the size of a tuba, similar shape and beautiful for solos ;) )ince middle school after switching from violin in 5th grade (I wasn't at all good at it) and picked up trombone in 7th grade for jazz.though I'm not at all good with improv.
Currently I'm playing a baritone for marching band (it's pretty similar in pitch to the euphonium)
I'm squeedly weedly weird.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yes, we all know what a euphonium is. I played one for seven years. (I did not play one for seven years continuously, there were occasional breaks for other activities [such as sleep and video games and non-band classes].) = P

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Kouri wrote:I love playing drums on Rock Band! :mrgreen: I like to pretend that because of that, I might actually know my way around an actual drum set if I ever decided to take it up, but I'm pretty sure it's not that simple =P
It's popular for rock musicians to hate Rock Band/Guitar Hero and remind people of how it's nothing like a real instrument (as if they didn't know), but Rock Band's drums are actually quite good. Obviously there's the issue of technique and rhythm which they don't really teach, but I was fortunate enough to have already been taught those. So all I needed was the coordination necessary to play drum set, and it did that for me.
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

Ah music, one of my passions :D
I played the euphonium for 12 years and then decided to switch to trombone (which I have been playing for 5 Years now). I play it in various bands and in a Guggenmusik ;)
Besides, I play the piano and the guitar.
I also like to compose and arrange music on my computer with "Finale" and "Encore".
When I was younger, I wanted to study music but I decided to keep it as a hobby. :)
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I just compromised and minored in it in college.
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

I'd like to go to college for music. I already have my "career degree," I'd like to join a jazz band or start something that I can actually get paid to be in. Sure its fun to play for people who take the time to listen, but gas gets expensive really quick!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's pretty tricky to make a living on jazz, sadly.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I'm going to take another crack at learning bass this semester. Do any of the bassists on here have any tips/ tricks/ exercises they found particularly helpful when they were learning bass? Especially if you have experience playing punk and/or metal.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

Seth wrote:I'm going to take another crack at learning bass this semester. Do any of the bassists on here have any tips/ tricks/ exercises they found particularly helpful when they were learning bass? Especially if you have experience playing punk and/or metal.
I cannot emphasize this enough... LEARN TO PLAY WITH YOUR FINGERS. It will take twice as long to learn bass with a pick. And get used to blisters. You'll get plenty of them. Practice scales often and develop a rhythm. The speed will come as you learn. I could go on and on. I can tell you whatever you want to know. *Not trying to sound self centered*
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Plus basses sound worse with a pick, in my opinion.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I fully plan on learning to play with my fingers. The blisters didn't bug me when I tried to learn before.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So I just got two concerts scheduled in September. I'm excited for another chance to play. Plus we're going to try to add Madness to our setlist, so I'll get to use my synthesizer! ^_^
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

Sleet wrote:So I just got two concerts scheduled in September. I'm excited for another chance to play. Plus we're going to try to add Madness to our setlist, so I'll get to use my synthesizer! ^_^
Post a video! I always enjoy watching others play.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

If Sleet did that, it would probably clear up the mystery of his/her gender. I'd like to see a video too, but I don't think it'll happen.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I have videos somewhere from another concert I did. I won't post them but if I ever get them uploaded I can show them to friends who know my gender.
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

I wasn't aware it was a mystery. Haha :lol: I put a GoPro on my headstock so it would be just my hands on camera.
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

I just got my first paycheck of the month and some of it went to a down payment on a new five string. 10 internets if you can guess what brand/model. Ill post a picture of it later when I am closer to a computer.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm just going to guess an Ibanez Soundgear because that's what I have. :P

So, Madness successfully added to the setlist for our upcoming shows! As is Uprising. This gon' be fun~
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

The manager at our local music store got into a pretty heated argument with the rep from Ibanez so they don't carry them anymore... I don't know all the details, but I know at least one chair was thrown.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Hey everyone, I have a question about getting a microphone to record with.

I have an acoustic guitar and I want to be able to record me playing and singing at the same time with something decent. Now, I don't need a super expensive mic because I'm not looking to record a home album or anything, just something good enough that I can record and share and it *not* sound like the cheap built in mic my laptop has in it. (Editing the sound I record is a possibility too. If that makes any difference.)

The mic needs to be able to plug right into my laptop (preferably). I also have a budget that is flexible depending on how good the mic is compared to the price, but not extremely high. (And yes, I know a good microphone, even the less expensive ones, won't be cheap. I'm willing to look into used and refreshed ones.)
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I use a Samson C01U USB condenser mic for vocals. They're at the higher-yet-still-affordable end of USB mics. I recommend them for a lot of applications. USB mics don't require a pre-amp or phantom power supply, so you've only got to buy one thing. I've also heard a lot of good things about this little cutie and it's roughly half the cost of its big brother.

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Well I play alto saxophone and have done for 9 years. I don't have time to do a lot of practise though so I'm not brilliant. I love playing jazz. Jazz makes me happy. :) I used to be in a jazz band at school but the jazz band kinda dissolved unfortunately. I was also in the "Concert Band" which I quite enjoyed and I played in the orchestra for my school's production of "The Pirates of Penzance". I'm now at university in a different state and don't have my saxophone with me or a band to play with. :( Bands are so much more fun than playing on your own with a CD. Not to mention they sound a million times better.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

JeffCvt wrote:Hey everyone, I have a question about getting a microphone to record with.

I have an acoustic guitar and I want to be able to record me playing and singing at the same time with something decent. Now, I don't need a super expensive mic because I'm not looking to record a home album or anything, just something good enough that I can record and share and it *not* sound like the cheap built in mic my laptop has in it. (Editing the sound I record is a possibility too. If that makes any difference.)

The mic needs to be able to plug right into my laptop (preferably). I also have a budget that is flexible depending on how good the mic is compared to the price, but not extremely high. (And yes, I know a good microphone, even the less expensive ones, won't be cheap. I'm willing to look into used and refreshed ones.)
I know it sounds ridiculous, but our band used a Rockband microphone to record because it had the USB end and it plugged into the computer. I don't remember what recording software we used but it was a freebie.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

BassGroove wrote:Rockband microphone
Wait, you mean like the game Rockband?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

yeah, a few people in my music tech class used those. not sure of the quality, though
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm told they're actually half decent.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

BassGroove wrote:I don't remember what recording software we used but it was a freebie.
There's a free recording software called "Audacity" that I've used.
It's really good, though I've only used it to record my vinyl to save on my computer.
Panda Panda Panda
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Yeah, I like playing around with audacity. You can do quite a bit of audio editing with it as we as just recording.,
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I've used audacity before. I'll admit it's a good program, but I just don't like the feel of it.

I use a different program that you can get a free version of and have some of the features limited, or pay $50 for the full thing. I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I just like the way it looks and feels so much better. Seems much more professional.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

JeffCvt wrote:I've used audacity before. I'll admit it's a good program, but I just don't like the feel of it.

I use a different program that you can get a free version of and have some of the features limited, or pay $50 for the full thing. I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I just like the way it looks and feels so much better. Seems much more professional.
You get what you pay for I guess. And audacity was the program.