A Thread about School

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Kouri
Banner Artist

A Thread about School

Post by Kouri »

I've been looking for an excuse to start up a thread of my own for a while now, but I could never think of a decent enough topic. This came to mind, and I was sure a thread already existed, but scanning through the old threads, I couldn't find anything after 2010-ish, so I'm jumping on the opportunity now! :mrgreen:

I'm hoping this can be a place where we can talk about anything and everything school-related. I figure most of us on these forums are in the right age group to be going through some kind of schooling and since I'm sure most of us have either just started a new year or will be starting one up soon, it feels like a good time to get this going. Feel free to share all sorts of things! Where do you go to school (if you're comfortable with telling us where you live) and what classification are you? What kind of classes are you taking? Do you like them? If you're in college (like me!) what are you studying? Are you involved in any activities or clubs/groups? What are some things you like or dislike about your school? If you're somebody who's already graduated, do you have any cool or interesting memories?

I'm also hoping that this thread could eventually turn into a good place to vent and/or discuss things that are happening with us that involve school, like assignments, projects, teachers, friends, events and so on. We can share stories, look for opinions, offer advice, etc. Seriously guys, the possibilities are endless!

I guess I can share a few things to get this started. I graduated from a small high school in a small Texas town called Idalou. For some perspective, my graduating class was only 62 people (I was 4th.) I'm currently a senior-level student at Texas Tech University. I'm majoring in Biology with a minor in Secondary Education, and I hope to become certified as a high school teacher once my undergraduate studies are up. My class schedule this semester includes: Introduction to Fiction (the last class I need to finish my basics), Animal Behavior, Vertebrate Structure and Development, and Principles of Microbiology. I'm also a member of my college marching band! If you couldn't already tell, my schedule keeps me pretty busy :p

Anyway, feel free to share anything you want with us as long as its school-related! Ask me more about my life as a college student, or tell us what its like to be in your shoes! I'm sure we'd all like to hear about it. This is the first time I've started up a whole new thread on my own, so I appreciate anyone who's willing to contribute to the conversation. Let's hear what you guys have to say =D
BassGroove

Re: A Thread about School

Post by BassGroove »

I did my college during high school. It wasn't a post secondary though, it was a full 21 credit hour college program. I never had to go back to my highschool except for NHS. Though it was just an Associate's degree, I would never regret it. College was much more rewarding than highschool (at least I think it was). I already have a job in my field now, and am currently debt free because the sponsors for the program paid for all of it.

The degree was electromechanical engineering.
I don't ever remember someone telling me they got hurt from doing something smart -Myself
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I might start law school next year.

I guess I could give a concise history of my education? I have a BA degree in (broadcast) journalism.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Law sounds interesting, but that may take a few years.
I have an interview about my future at the school today, annoyed that they give us homework over the six weeks holiday but only tell us if we are allowed back at the last moment. I had our educational system in England. >.<
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Law sounds interesting, but that may take a few years.
Yes, law school takes three years. There've been suggestions to reduce that to two, recently... but then again, they're echoing suggestions made by two studies in 1974... which quoted the conclusions reached by a study in the early '20s.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'll hopefully be starting medical school in a year, too. I have a interesting banana in biomedical engineering.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Lifio13

Post by Lifio13 »

Warning, long post ahead!

I love going to school. I just really enjoy it. Currently, I'm starting my last year of Secondary School(Sixth year). After failing two of my Highers this year(Maths and Chemistry), I'm having to retake them this year if I have any hopes of getting into University next year(To study what, I have no clue, I'm still deciding on that, which I kind of need to decide by the end of this term.) along with Higher English and Higher Computing Studies. The Scottish Education is weird and different to the rest of the UK, but basically anything less than a C is a fail, and a D(Which is what I got for Maths and Chemistry) is basically a pat on the back for even turning up to the actual examination.

If I hadn't failed Chemistry, I could have been doing Advanced Higher Chemistry, which is what I wanted to do, because it gives an example of first year uni stuff. Unfortunately, I'm even beginning to wonder if I have the grades capable of going into Uni this year, and I'm wondering if going through College first might be a better option.

It doesn't help when the Career's Advisor aren't really helpful. They give me stuff to do which is meant to show my strengths and stuff, but how is that meant to help me decide what I want to do? Speaking of which, our Register/Tutor/Whatever you want to call it Class had a talk from one of them today and it felt like you were being spoken down to more than anything. It made me feel more terrible about my grades than anything. In fact, they suggested I go into full time employment. Doing what? I know straight after Summer Next year I want to be in University(Or College if I'm not good enough and get down right rejected.).

The plus side of sixth year is free periods. I only have three in the entire week.(I help out in a first year general science class in the other), but it gives me time to relax and do last minute homework that's due in the next period. Oh and the fact that I have Friday Last thing free, which means I can catch a bus and go home early, but I tend and stay with my friends who have a free period then as they do after school stuff on Fridays and I like the company.

One thing I don't like about my school though is that they really encourage all the really intelligent people to do well, but they don't really do anything for anyone else. Most of the staff at the school are lovely though and encourage us to do really well, after spending nearly six years with some of them, I consider some of them friends more than teachers.

Anyway, enough ranting. :P.
Avatar by the very talented Laxan!

~Rusty Reid -Yorkshire Terrier-RA
SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

Yeah just like Lifio I'm going into my sixth and final year of Secondary School (though I'm sure the Scottish and Irish systems are a bit different). Weirdly enough despite being in Sixth year I've only been in Secondary school for four years now going into my fifth. This is due to Fourth year being "Transition Year" which in my school meant only 60 of about 180 students got in and I wasn't one of the lucky few.

School's alright, although doing supervised study in the evenings means I have a day from 8am to 6pm which can be pretty tiring. Enjoy most of my subjects, History in particular. The ones I have a problem with are Physics (I like the subject but my teacher is one of the worst I've ever heard of) and Irish (because it's taught terribly and I've never been good at it)

Still have no idea what I'll do afterwards which makes planning college courses kind of difficult and scary! I've narrowed it down to the rather broad "Something Sciency. Or Computery. Or History-y."
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
Kouri
Banner Artist

Post by Kouri »

BassGroove wrote:I did my college during high school. It wasn't a post secondary though, it was a full 21 credit hour college program. I never had to go back to my highschool except for NHS. Though it was just an Associate's degree, I would never regret it. College was much more rewarding than highschool (at least I think it was). I already have a job in my field now, and am currently debt free because the sponsors for the program paid for all of it.
Looking back, I really wish I had gotten more college credit while I was in high school. I didn't really see it as an option for me until my last year when I took two "dual-credit" courses which gave me high school and college credit simultaneously. I should've at least gotten a few more basic classes in while it was cheap :lol: I probably could've shortened my graduation time by about a semester and saved a bunch of money. Luckily, I've had some scholarships to keep me afloat thus far, but I had to take out my first student loan this semester :/ But good for you on taking an opportunity like that! It sounds like it really paid off :)
Lifio13 wrote: If I hadn't failed Chemistry, I could have been doing Advanced Higher Chemistry, which is what I wanted to do, because it gives an example of first year uni stuff. Unfortunately, I'm even beginning to wonder if I have the grades capable of going into Uni this year, and I'm wondering if going through College first might be a better option.

It doesn't help when the Career's Advisor aren't really helpful. They give me stuff to do which is meant to show my strengths and stuff, but how is that meant to help me decide what I want to do? Speaking of which, our Register/Tutor/Whatever you want to call it Class had a talk from one of them today and it felt like you were being spoken down to more than anything. It made me feel more terrible about my grades than anything. In fact, they suggested I go into full time employment. Doing what? I know straight after Summer Next year I want to be in University(Or College if I'm not good enough and get down right rejected.).
You'll have to forgive me for not knowing the complexities of the Scottish school system compared to my own, but I'm guessing you're talking about something like a junior/2-year/community college. I've had plenty of friends who have done that for a number of reasons, partly because its cheaper and partly because they weren't sure if they were ready to jump right in to the whole University system. After they finish, they can either decide to go into employment, or transfer into a larger University.

In the end, its really all up to you. Getting a degree is a pretty demanding thing, both financially and time-wise, so seeking employment right away might be a better option in the end if you weren't sure you could do well. But, if University is what you really want to do, then by all means man, go for it! Attending a university is an amazing experience, and you can really open up a lot of doors for yourself if you stay on top of things. That being said, if you're willing to take on the risks and costs that come with going to a University, you should definitely make sure you're pursuing something you absolutely love. It'd be a real bummer if you spent so much time struggling in classes for years and you just end up in a career you're not happy with. Life's too short not to be happy. Plus, it really helps your grades as well as your overall experience if you're genuinely interested in the things you're being taught. If you love the courses you're taking, studying and coursework really aren't as bad as they might seem to other people, and you'll be more likely to end up with a job you're happy with. All things considered, you should really explore all your options to see what would work best for you, but if you have something you know in your heart you really want to do, then don't let anybody stop you, man. :mrgreen:
Lifio13 wrote: One thing I don't like about my school though is that they really encourage all the really intelligent people to do well, but they don't really do anything for anyone else. Most of the staff at the school are lovely though and encourage us to do really well, after spending nearly six years with some of them, I consider some of them friends more than teachers.
Sadly, I think this is a problem in a lot of places. :/
Nobody likes a bad teacher or staff-person, but I'm glad you managed to find some diamonds in the rough. That's kinda why I want to be a teacher actually. Being around college students, it seems like almost everybody can remember at least one or two teachers in their past who left a good impression on them and either got them interested in a certain field, or reaffirmed the interest they already had. I know I had one. Someday, I want to be that teacher that one of my students will fondly remember after they graduate. Changing the world one person at a time, as corny as it sounds/is :p
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I'm a college student majoring in film and minoring in philosophy. I'm just an amateur film maker trying to get an education and hone my craft simultaneously. The philosophy minor was kind of on a whim. I like philosophy and it helps keep my mind sharp by challenging me to read high level texts critically. When I'm not doing that I'm involved in my university's Greek life and holding down a part time job in one of the cafeterias.I also play intermural hockey. Unfortunately I dont have time for all the cool clubs and events around campus because of my job and fraternity obligations. But overall other than a very rough freshman year college has been great for me.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Does a free online art school that teaches using videos count? Technically the lessons taught would be found in most paid art schools. There's also homework at the end of each lesson, of which I find both enjoyable and helpful.
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Dissension wrote:
Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Law sounds interesting, but that may take a few years.
Yes, law school takes three years. There've been suggestions to reduce that to two, recently... but then again, they're echoing suggestions made by two studies in 1974... which quoted the conclusions reached by a study in the early '20s.
Don't you need a poli sci degree to get into law school?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Not necessarily!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I'm not aware of any such requirement. The lawyers I know have history and English degrees.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Law school is like medical school in that the actual degree isn't as important as having courses that prepare you for it. Law students don't need political science degrees any more than medical students need biology degrees. If that were the case, there would probably be a "pre-law" degree.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Well I'm at university and I'm halfway to being a veterinarian. And I'm loving every minute of it!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Ah, cool, another medical person! :3

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Have you ever talked to Housefox?
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Well medical jobs are usually the best. I'm doing a psychology course because me and vital hand precision dont mix too well. Also it's much more fun when you can manipulate behavior. :lol:
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

I'm at School of education to become a teacher for primary education. (Hopefully in about 1.5 years :D )
I really enjoy working with children. :)
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
VEB152
Location: Land of vowels with dashes and consonants with commas

Post by VEB152 »

Oh, children... I'd be fine with them if not the noise and necessity to repeat the same over, and over, and over. Goodluck though!

And yea, as profile states, yours faithfully is at the first year of styduing flight safety. In 4 years, I'll, hopefully, become an incident and accident investigator. Or I'll be consulting airlines on safety measures (there are A LOT :shock:), but in that case I'd recommend you all drop airline travel by that time :lol:
Yes, that is about the best thing to write that I could think of.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

By the time you do get into that job it will be necessary for me to travel via plane. So I hope we never meet whilst your at work. :lol:
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Sleet wrote:Have you ever talked to Housefox?
No, I haven't actually. Is he a medical person too?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Hlaoroo wrote:
Sleet wrote:Have you ever talked to Housefox?
No, I haven't actually. Is he a medical person too?
he's working to be a vet, too.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Oh, cool. I did not know that. I'll have to have a chat with him. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

I'm taking Japanese and I hope to go to art school maybe when I get out of collage or university(is there a difference?).
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Today all of my homework revolved around isometric drawing.

Why? I don't know, but I bet it has something to do with being in Geometry and Engineering at the same time.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Muninn

Post by Muninn »

I graduated last year with a Bachelor of Music, music theory and composition to be exact. I miss the University atmosphere, I didn't really think I would until you could feel Autumn in the air, and now I'm getting nostalgia already. I need money now, so going back isn't an immediate plan but I can easily see myself going for my Master's in the coming years
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

I'm in my third year of taking my bachelors on physics and mathematics. Hopefully, the study load/pressure wouldn't increase in the next semesters. The class size is getting smaller and smaller. O_O
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I can understand class sizes dropping... Out of twenty in my psychology class we only have nine now... And I'm the only boy!
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

There were originally 17 of us (in my batch), now there's only 5 of us in that degree. XD
El Psy Congroo
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

We have not even reached the degree stage of the course yet... :|
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

I just used the term degree because in some places a course could mean a single module. I guess I should have used the term program (or programme), instead. XD
El Psy Congroo
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

My advice to anyone who will listen is to never take an online class! Only if your schedule is conflicting or you want a very easy 'A'. But not if you really want to learn something useful or might come in handy.

I love listening to audio recordings of a lecture. You can't ask it questions and when the instructor asks "what this is" you can't even begin to imagine!

I have not been out of school that long but the hassles are all the same!

Tormentor one: Amazon dot com.

I order a book from amazon, $125 from a private seller. They wait the maximum amount of time, 2 weeks, and then they refund me because it turns out they don't actually have the book that they are sell. I order again, only $99 this time. An envelope arrives with a crappy little flash drive in it. They are selling a bootlegged copy of the kindle edition as the hardcover edition! The invoice says no returns. I call amazon customer service and rant and rave at them and they said that they would contact the sell and get to the bottom of it. I told them that what the seller was doing was highly illegal and I planned to call the FBI! No word back on that one. Finally, the third order comes in Monday and 8 October marks the half-way point of the semester. Joy.

Tormentor two: the instructor.

It is an online class and we still have to show up to take pen and paper tests on the campus!

Tormentor three: The classes themselves.

I have to take a basic computer use class that is online, requires us to log into the schools websites and follow a series of links to test every week. The first three questions, I kid you not, were "What is a Website?", "What is a Link?", "What is a Password?"

This is ridiculous! Its an online class!

The next one I take will be a seated classroom class, I can guarantee that! I will actually learn something and interact with a human, and not by sending an email and waiting 24 hours for a response.

But, I maintain that these are just crappy general education classes that are supposed to make us "well rounded" and make us pay extra tuition for useless things. If I can trudge through these and get at least a 'C', then I can start my actual nurse training classes and learn something useful. Like, how to suture a wound or tie a tourniquet instead of how to make a power point presentation on the subject of tying tourniquets.

I hate my life.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ugh, I finally got my ex-boss to respond about my recommendation letter. Now all that's left for medical school applications is my essay(s)! I'm getting excited!

Then I just apply, get a job, study for my Magic: the Gathering Level 1 Judge exam, and enjoy a lower-pressure life until (hopefully) medical school! ^o^