New Series Speculation

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Teh Brawler

New Series Speculation

Post by Teh Brawler »

Ok, so, I don't know how many people like/watch the show "Avatar: The Last Airbender", but I was watching the third season finale, and it reminded me how much I enjoyed the show and want a new series to be made. However, I read an article awhile back where Nickelodeon said that the weren't gung-ho on the idea, as they didn't make as much money on the series as they wanted, since it appealed to the wrong demographic. Still, the creators would like to continue producing shows that take place in the Avatar universe. I'm hoping they do, even if it's on another channel. Any comments?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
ArgentFlame

Re: New Series Speculation

Post by ArgentFlame »

Avatar was a good show, and I didn't watch as much of it as I really wanted too. Another series set in the same world would be nice to see.
Del S2 P6 E2 C5 I10 A8 L3
Sean S6 P5 E10 C3 I6 A6 L6
Bastion S5 P6 E4 C8 I5 A10 L4
Liam

Post by Liam »

Yeah, considering they planned the upcoming film adaptation as part of a trilogy it's up to see how much interest in a continuation of the original series they will develop. Depends on how much money they expect the franchise will bring them.

Personally, I would like to see the open questions resolved.

The blatant sequel hook of Zuko's mother's whereabouts is probably the best example. Frankly, I thought she was assassinated and they just alluded to it in such a vague manner over the course of the series because it's kiddie TV and they couldn't show or tell that.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Never say die, eh?

I completely agree. However, the same article I mentioned above talked about different characters, and a different Avatar, which implies some time will have passed, which personally, I'd sort of prefer, considering that I can't stand it when production teams milk something to the point of mediocrity. But I think the team can do both and still succeed.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Jack

Post by Jack »

i have seen the trailer for the avatar movie and i think it doesn't look all that great.
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

I had to google that one because I thought Avatar: The Last Airbender didn't have a movie coming out.
I was wrong.

I used to love it, kind of really got over it, as with pretty much every other anime I used to watch. Then everyone else got into it. *laugh* Australians are so behind, even if we are in front.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
The Game

Post by The Game »

OMG!!!!!
AVATAR is awesome!!!! Second season please!!!!! :D
Teh, you found my weakness...
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

that show was great :D
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
Jack

Post by Jack »

Ebly wrote:I had to google that one because I thought Avatar: The Last Airbender didn't have a movie coming out.
I was wrong.

I used to love it, kind of really got over it, as with pretty much every other anime I used to watch. Then everyone else got into it. *laugh* Australians are so behind, even if we are in front.
actually, Avatar is not considered an anime seeing as how it really isn't one. it wasn't excepted in some anime downloading sites too.
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
Liam

Post by Liam »

Jack wrote:
Ebly wrote:I had to google that one because I thought Avatar: The Last Airbender didn't have a movie coming out.
I was wrong.

actually, Avatar is not considered an anime seeing as how it really isn't one. it wasn't excepted in some anime downloading sites too.
Yeah, depends on what of the approximately one billion definitions of the term "anime" you use.

The Japanese themselves for example use it as a blanket term to refer to all kinds of animation in existence, whereas most Weeaboos use it strictly for animation produced from japanese studios (meaning that stuff that was co-produced or colorated by whoever outside of Japan counts for them as "anime" as well).

I personally prefer the also quite common, less ethno-centric definition that it's simply an art form and can as a visual medium employ a plentitude of visual styles, but which all share common elements like exaggerated physical features such as large eyes, big hair and elongated limbs, dramatically shaped speech bubbles, speed lines and onomatopoeic, exclamatory typography.

So yes, Avatar is an anime and a pretty good one, too.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Jack wrote:
I was wrong.

If an anime is based on the visual style of the animation, is is an anime.
If an anime is based on the production studios involved in the animation, it is not.
If an anime is based on the Japanese definition for the word 'anime', it is.

All in all I just don't try to be fancy about it and call it an 'anime' for ease. If you'd like me to list some 'real' animes, there are plenty out there that I used to watch at about the same time.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Ebly wrote:If an anime is based on the Japanese definition for the word 'anime', it is.
Neat, then Batman: The Animated Series and the Tom & Jerry cartoons of the 40s are anime, too. ;3
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Liam wrote:
Ebly wrote:If an anime is based on the Japanese definition for the word 'anime', it is.
Neat, then Batman: The Animated Series and the Tom & Jerry cartoons of the 40s are anime, too. ;3
I said 'if' for that reason, silly.

Yes, if you look at anime from the Japanese definition, they are. ;B
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

The Game wrote:OMG!!!!!
AVATAR is awesome!!!! Second season please!!!!! :D
Teh, you found my weakness...
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And that's fourth season. Technically, there have already been three.

And that movie will rock so hard that movie theaters playing it will collapse.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Liam

Post by Liam »

Teh Brawler wrote:And that movie will rock so hard that movie theaters playing it will collapse.
Freeman's performance will save the flick, I'm sure.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I remember seeing some parts, and based on what little I know, I'll just say that I like the traditional aspect as well as the supernatural elements being imposed in the series.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

BlueArmy wrote:I remember seeing some parts, and based on what little I know, I'll just say that I like the traditional aspect as well as the supernatural elements being imposed in the series.
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but if you're referring to the bending, I totally agree. That's one of my favorite parts of the series, just because of the versatile aspect of the control over nature.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN