Jobs Thread - What do you do for a living?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Bolly

Jobs Thread - What do you do for a living?

Post by Bolly »

As per the title, what does everyone do for a living? Are you a student? Working full or part time? I'm interested to know, and I'm sure others may be interested too.

I'll start off. I'm a full-time software engineer/developer at BT (or British Telecoms as some people may know them). This is my first proper job after graduating from university with a degree in computer science, and I'm very much enjoying it at the moment. I can go into more detail if anyone is interested. Now it's your turns!
tychoaussie

Re: Jobs Thread - What do you do for a living?

Post by tychoaussie »

I'm back in college after 17 years of being an electrical engineer for a small aerospace instrumentation company. Only this time, the university pays me to be a TA, and when I'm not teaching science classes to undergraduates, I am studying for my PhD qualifying exams. So I guess I'm a professional student now! I am aspiring to become a PhD of Geosciences, namely, seismology and geophysics. It seems harder the second time around though - - -
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

tychoaussie wrote:Only this time, the university pays me to be a TA
They're paying you for being Tycho Aussie? What a perfect job for you! :lol:

No, what does TA mean?

I'm a shipping merchant but unfortunately presently searching for a new employment. In the past I send our vessels all around Europe for transporting timber, paper, coal, cement, grain, steel, etc.
Bolly, from time to time our vessels have been to Ipswich. xD
Last edited by Render on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I'm also a TA at my university. (that's Teacher Assistant for those not in the know ;) )
I'm getting my Master's in computer science, and they're paying me to help teach the undergrads :D
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I graduated last year with a four year degree in Political Science and now I mop floors for a living. Now, I am back in school (after a false start because my adviser put me in the wrong program!) to earn a nursing degree. I am working for a CNA 1 now, and soon I will get a CNA 2 and a phlebotomy certification. After I am established in that I might even become a Registered Nurse. I am sick of being poor.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Right now I cook noodles for hours at a time to make money. <.<

I intend to live off student loans while I attend medical school in less than a year. Here's hoping...
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

My livin is dying, but as we all know, dying ain't much of a livin.

Yes I did this just to make that quote

I work at a grocery store and go to college
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Squirrelboy265

Post by Squirrelboy265 »

A couple of computer science majors, a political science major turning to nursing, college students of various varieties, an electrical engineer turned student again. What a nifty crowd.

I'm a chemical engineering student who recently became a chemical engineer (Co-Op) at an iodine derivatives manufacturer. Now I get to alternate semesters between working as a chemical engineer and going to school. Practical experience and theory combined!

Which colleges/schools/universities are represented here?
I'm at The Georgia Institute of Technology.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I have a bachelor of arts degree in journalism from Arkansas Tech University and am currently employed in the customer service department of a major extended service contract and mobile insurance provider. I used to be a salaried manager, but had depression issues and requested to be put back in another position while I sorted my life out.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I am currently a student and choosing university options for next year. In my free time I like trying to become a gaming icon, regardless of how difficult and pointless that would be. I am hoping to go into business or clinical psychology and/or take up a history course abroad. In terms of work... I don't do anything payed and hated my time spent I a call centre.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Bolly

Post by Bolly »

I have a BSc in Computer Science from the University of Birmingham (England, not AL). Kyuubi, if you ever need any advice with uni stuffs (UCAS etc.), just PM me.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

All I really need to do is write a personal statement, and that's hard when you have no idea which of the three options you will actually do. :lol: It has become a expectation that everyone will try to go to university though, so we will have to literally fight for placements. :|
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I'm a full time student and part time cafeteria employee during the school year. I do a little bit of everything there becase I get a new schedule every semester.
During the summer I work full time doing janitorial work for the university. I spend most of my time setting up for and cleaning up after conferences and getting the dorms cleaned and repainted for the next year. Over the summer and winter breaks when I'm living with my parents (and more importantly their car) I also donate plasma twice a week, which brings in another 250 a month. 40 hours a week and donating is rough but making movies ain't cheap.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
VEB152
Location: Land of vowels with dashes and consonants with commas

Post by VEB152 »

As my profile states, I'm on my first year of transportation safety (profiling in flight safety) studies in Moscow University of Civil Aviation. Sounds more exciting than it currently is :lol:
Part-time job is doing translations of various texts and documents for various people, adding up to ~15 hours a week. Way less that it could/should have been, indeed, but it's just enough to cover most of my needs, thus somehow relieving my relatives (having to stay with me until I can get a proper job to pay for morgage is already punishing :lol: ). Hopefully by the end of the year I'll exchange most of these for part-time work at university, so at least I waste less time commuting around the city.
Yes, that is about the best thing to write that I could think of.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I'm a full time student working towards a B.Sc. in computer science with a concentration in game development. Right now I'm a freshman who came in with about a semester's worth of credit, but that just gives me some fudging room with minors and stuff. Technically my degree is in my university's engineering college so I have to be in school for all four years. I work part time at a STEM elementary magnet school as a librarian assistant, and during the summers when I live with my parents I'll be working in retail.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I clean up after staff and students. Nothing really stand out about it, but at least during the summer it allows me a fair bit of freedom. I work at a local college about ten minutes away from my home.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Done in education, now I need a job. Hard to do when you don't know what your skilled at. :|
HenryK9

Post by HenryK9 »

For the last 11 1/2 years I have been a security officer at Brookgreen Gardens here in South Carolina. I plan on retiring soon as a full timer and get a part time job now that I am fast approaching 65. :)
Trying to see a brighter future.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

As shown in my profile records, I am currently working as a projectionist at my local movie theater. Planning on becoming an author.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

I am a student in high school (just completed my freshman year) and I also work at a dentistry office. I make deliveries, manage files, and work back in the lab with the chemicals and equipment that I discovered really hurts if any of it touches your skin.
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
AstroOtter

Post by AstroOtter »

I decide who lives and who dies.

EDIT: Actually I maintain a website and product catalog, and do other assorted tasks, for a small business in California.
Creature of chaos with long slender body, heavy tail, and clever hands. I am to water as a dragon is to fire. And I'm adorable.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Shadowstar23 wrote:As shown in my profile records, I am currently working as a projectionist at my local movie theater. Planning on becoming an author.
I used to do that. But, I yelled at a customer for crossing in front of the projector so and one nasty lie-filled email later I was busted down to ticket taker.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Shadowstar23 wrote:As shown in my profile records, I am currently working as a projectionist at my local movie theater. Planning on becoming an author.
I used to do that. But, I yelled at a customer for crossing in front of the projector so and one nasty lie-filled email later I was busted down to ticket taker.
All of our projectors are digital and work most of the time. Whenever we're not doing stuff with them, we are either cleaning theaters, helping concession, or watching tickets.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.

Post by 0404 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FA__4fL ... ata_player
I... must... Post this

Anyone sells propane around here?

I'm moving to a new place soon, so I'm not really looking forward to get a part time job at the moment.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wait.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

I was a janitor at Hershey's Chocolate World for seven years, then was a radio DJ/Game reviewer for two years.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Currently I work as a seafood clerk at a supermarket who takes and wraps the fish for customers and keeps the area clean and the shelves in front of the cooler fully stocked.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, breathing's real important. Vital, actually.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

NHWestoN wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:08 pm Well, breathing's real important. Vital, actually.
Yes. I happen to drink water for a living.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

In order to make MY living I eat food.

I can play this game also. :mrgreen:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:41 am In order to make MY living I eat food.

I can play this game also. :mrgreen:
Life's just dynamic, ain`t it ?! :D :roll:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It can only be what you plan on making it. Too bad my life is kind of boring.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:30 pm It can only be what you plan on making it. Too bad my life is kind of boring.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans.
(credited to John Lennon, among others.)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I honestly can say that the quote right there is true. Nothing can ever go according to any plans you make so its best to just be random.