Indie Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Dissension

Indie Games

Post by Dissension »

OK, so there's theoretically an all-encompassing thread for video games, but I think it's OK for us to show some special love to the people who make games on their own, or as part of a small studio, as opposed to a gaming megacorporation.

Our own xhunterko is currently offering several games, including The Candy Skull Lords: The Candy Crisis. I've not yet played the game myself, but the screenshots remind me a lot of arcade games I played in the '80s and early '90s.

OK, I took a few minutes to play the flash version of this game and it actually does remind me a ton of the awesome NES game 1942 and an arcade game I used to play in Pizza Hut that revolved around flying a US Air Force fighter and defending America from Soviet naval, air, and ground forces. It was a trip down memory lane and pretty fun overall, by my standards.

Get to discussing and promoting your favorite independently-developed games!

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RatHead

Re: Indie Games

Post by RatHead »

Well, I think this is awesome diss, Thanks for putting up a special topic for this! (really, that's awesome :) )

I an a HUGE watcher of Yamimash and Markiplier on YouTube, who play indie games for a living and get paid by youtube (awesome job right?) and they mostly play Indie Horror games. Through watching them,
I have finally developed my love of Indie horror games into a commendment for the makers who think up and make these, then into a want to make one, then a few scattered ideas, and now finally a plan and plot!

That's right, I am going to try an make a indie game too! :)

I have a working title: "The Easiest Game in the World"...

...and it is anything but (depending on a few things of course)

I can't wait to talk to other Indie game lovers here, and if anyone want's to know more about my ideas (and, hopefully diss, you are ok with it/this is the place) Ask (Please?!) and I shall tell!!

HP! Messenger
Limp-in around eatin a dirty rubber Bizkit
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I just signed up to join my school's Video Game Design and Development club, they just set up a cabinet on campus where students can play their first game (which is heavily based around the school so probably doesn't have wide appeal) but There's a meeting this Thursday to brainstorm for the next game and I'll actually be involved in making this one.

plus I have ideas for a game I want to make myself, but I'll keep it to myself for now so it won't get stolen =P
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

DUDE, trust me, I Know your pain, I've had ideas stolen and used before, and THEY get the credit... evil backstabbing *can'tsaythiswordhere* But if you tell me I promise I won't steal it, I can't even work on mine yet as my only computer is a crappy netbook! And I'll tell you all about mine! (we can even do it on the PM's if you want privacy and just the 2 of us and diss seeing it... yes I know you can see our PM's diss)

HP! Messenger
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Gone Home is pretty great. Unique, inventive, and engaging.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

RatHead wrote:DUDE, trust me, I Know your pain, I've had ideas stolen and used before, and THEY get the credit... evil backstabbing *can'tsaythiswordhere* But if you tell me I promise I won't steal it, I can't even work on mine yet as my only computer is a crappy netbook! And I'll tell you all about mine! (we can even do it on the PM's if you want privacy and just the 2 of us and diss seeing it... yes I know you can see our PM's diss)
no, I want to keep it to myself anyway. I want to do the code all myself, then once I do what I can I'm going to ask for an artist and a musician to get it finished. If I ever get around to making it, I'll let you guys be the first to know.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

COOL! Well THANK you man! I'm lookin forward to it. what kind of game is it? and since you're doing your own code does that mean you're not using an engine like Unity?
And The artist and musician sounds cool! If you want voices I would be more than willing to help!

HP! Messenger
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Thank you very much Diss. I'll say again that you didn't need to do this but thank you again.
aBritishfox

Post by aBritishfox »

Indie games?
Could I post a F2P game link that I'm a mod to? (When we get the positions working, right now it goes "members, Honorary jammer, mod, dev" I'll be top admin, which is next to dev, it would go "member, honorary jammer, mod, super mod, admin, super/top admin, dev")
Did you know my friends call me "The Great Pontificator"! Or was it "The Great Time Waster"?

twitter: https://twitter.com/aBritishfox

Sometimes, being a Sentient Inflatable means air is the only answer for true happiness
Happiness Designer
Location: In the corner of your mind, where reality and dreams clash and create a fabulous universe.

Post by Happiness Designer »

aBritishfox wrote:Indie games?
Could I post a F2P game link that I'm a mod to? (When we get the positions working, right now it goes "members, Honorary jammer, mod, dev" I'll be top admin, which is next to dev, it would go "member, honorary jammer, mod, super mod, admin, super/top admin, dev")
I can't see why not. I'm not Diss, so I can't approve or disapprove it, but I would just put a warning down if it has violence.
~ Colors are good. ~
Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; It is something you design for the present.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yeah, it's totally fine. The only games you can't discuss here are ones put out by large studios or ones that would exceed the forum rating.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Back when games were born, You would never hear of companies like the ones that Indy games are run off of, like the ones back in the Atari days. It's hard to succeed as a Indy game maker, but everyone has to start somewhere and Indy projects have respect in my book.

I pay way too much attention to the tried and true companies, though, but heck, I figure someday I hope to be inspiration for some Indy game in the future. =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Well then DO IT man! Find out what you really like, think about some things that you'd like, or things that you'd improve on said other person's work, start forming some ideas, some plans, a plot, and then (if you can) make it! Or enlist the help of someone who can if you do not possess the needed things (i don't have a good enough computer or software yet, but I will pretty soon)! (also I'll help you when i do if i can and you want)

You don't even have to write anything down! all my plans, ideas, plot points, art ideas, music, sounds, scenes, and etc are locked in my head safely!, uhh, wait, what were they again...?

Also, PLEASE REMEMBER THIS: If you EVER want to toss around Ideas, discuss yours, brainstorm *starts raining brains*, Talk about inspiration, hear ideas from me, etc; ANYTHING, PLEASE pm me, I LOVE receiving pm's and I'd LOVE to talk to you about this if you want! The same goes for anyone else who read's this post/message!!!!

HP! Messenger
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Cave Story, is an awesome Indie Game. X3
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Antichamber!

Also anything made by the developer Christina Love; I really love Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus. If you like text adventures and beautiful anime artwork, check it out!
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

HP! Messenger
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Well, I don't want to be a wet blanket, but indie games can be a hit and miss with me. Some are great, and some are just meh. I like playing them since they tend to be low-res and can be run on my ancient laptop, but I've lost some good money buying horrible games that I couldn't stand.

Also, with the advent of Steam Greenlight, some game reviewers on Youtube mentioned that while this system is a good way to launch indie games, there are some that were accepted, and turned out to be a joke.

Regardless, whether you're in a big gaming company mass producing games for the mass gamers, or just someone who's doing something on his spare time, you should always remember that in the end, the end users will decide whether your games are a brilliant diamond or a plastic bead. Just saying.

Here are some indie games that I liked though:
1) Cave Story - an adventure platforming side-scrolling shooter with brilliant 8-bit flair and music.
2) To The Moon - Not so much a game, but an interactive visual story with an interesting concept and some tear-jerking moments.
3) The Touhou series - A series of shmups with simple yet addicting gameplay, and very beautiful bullet patterns.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)