Tool Thread

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

JeffCvt

Tool Thread

Post by JeffCvt »

I know most people here aren't 'tool people', but I'd like to ask you guys for your input simply because I can.

As you probably know, I don't draw, make music, or do something that requires me to buy a lot of high performance computer parts. All of my extra (And by extra, I mean small amounts I set aside after putting some in my savings) money goes into tools that I need/want. And I currently have several tools (or accessories might be more appropriate for some of them) that I would like to get.

The only problem is that, while they aren't a ton of money, they are a little pricey. I'm looking into 4 different things right now:

1: A set of files that contain not only regular files, but diamond ones too. These could come in handy because I have a scraper with a really, really hard blade on it. If I ever need to sharpen this blade, regular files won't do. The blade would tear the file apart before the file did anything worthwhile. But a diamond file should be able to sharpen it and save me from having to just simply buy a new blade. They are also a really, really nice set and well made from what I can tell.

2: A spool of paracord. Paracord is awesome. It's thin, really strong, holds a knot well, and cuts easy enough. I have about... 115ish feet right now, but I recently had to cut some of it up. While I still have it, it would be nice to just have a nice, long spool (I think the spools I would look into are 1,000 feet) to always have what I need.

3: Router Bits. I have a router, but no bits for it. Makes it kinda useless, but then again, I don't really have a NEED for one on a regular basis. There is a package of bits that I know I can get for a really good price once it goes on sale, and I know it'll go on sale at some point, I just don't know when.

4: A second drill. Having a second drill would be nice because I wouldn't have to always change bits between my one, and it would give me a second charger and two more batteries. However, I don't truly NEED a second drill, and I don't even know where I would keep a second drill in my truck right now.

I'm personally leaning toward the router bits since I have the router, but I'd like hear your opinions. If you have any. Or even care.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Kyuunado

Re: What tool/accessory should I get next?

Post by Kyuunado »

The file and router bits sound the most important but that depends on what you need the paracord for, or what you use more often.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

I agree with Kyu on the Files being #1, You can use those for SO long and they will be of SUCH good use, but I think#2 should Be the paracord as that also has many uses, Ans I have found out myself. :)
Glad to know a fellow toolhead and handyman on here :P

HP! Messenger
Limp-in around eatin a dirty rubber Bizkit
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I guess I should specify that I do have a set of files already. 6 needle point ones. I actually got them for a very specific purpose that I only really needed one for, so I got the cheapest ones I could find at the time. And the ones that I'm looking into are also needle point.

This new set has 12 files, 6 regular and 6 diamond. And they are a LOT nicer in the terms of the handle and case to keep them in.

And as far as the paracord goes, I mostly just use it to tie stuff down in my truckbed or up on the ladder rack. Although that stuff that I recently had to cut was used to hold a sigh up while the concrete that we poured around it hardened. In all honesty, a spool would last me YEARS. And that's only if the price is better than just buying it in the prepackaged 50 foot lengths that I did.

Also:
RatHead wrote:Glad to know a fellow toolhead and handyman on here :P
Where were you for this?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

I, :oops: heh, I don't check into that thread... I've been meaning to... but I havent... :oops:

But I know a bit about those DeWalt phillips heads and why they drive better if you wanna know... :P

HP! Messenger

Post by 0404 »

Where are you going to be using your drill at? If it's just in your garage, why not get a corded drill?
Want some free Paracord? find a buddy in the military! :P
And I'm not the one who can say a lot, the whole drill bit sets that we had are gone somewhere.
When I move out of my parent's house, I'm gonna get a good set of tools.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

RatHead wrote:I, :oops: heh, I don't check into that thread... I've been meaning to... but I havent... :oops:

But I know a bit about those DeWalt phillips heads and why they drive better if you wanna know... :P
You should check into it. The chat thread is awesome.

And I have my own theory as to why they do, but it's nothing but speculation on my part that could be totally wrong. If you know, please enlighten me.
texascat018 wrote:If it's just in your garage, why not get a corded drill?
Nah, I'd be carrying it around. Corded drills have there times when they're useful over cordless ones, but even then they aren't always better.
texascat018 wrote:When I move out of my parent's house, I'm gonna get a good set of tools.
Nothing beats a good set of tools. And just a word of warning to everyone out there:

You can go cheap on a lot of things. Hammers, drill bits, drills, sockets, wrenches, ect. However, never EVER go cheap on anything like a miter saw or chainsaw. While nothing can beat using your common sense to prevent injury, I came a lot closer to losing a finger than I would like to admit while using a cheap table saw once.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

JeffCvt wrote:
RatHead wrote:I, :oops: heh, I don't check into that thread... I've been meaning to... but I havent... :oops:

You should check into it. The chat thread is awesome.

And I have my own theory as to why they do, but it's nothing but speculation on my part that could be totally wrong. If you know, please enlighten me.
Well, you already know the bit that fits into the head is cut deeper and better, But you see that thinner, longer neck? That accepts all the torque needed to drive it at whatever speed, but not too much torque, so that it won't spin and strip.
Cause we all have had that happen and know it's bad.
(ergo, the longer neck flexes if needed).

and about the advice, yes, that is something that anyone should know before buying, thank dog I didn't learn the hard way... like you almost did. :shock:

HP! Messenger
JeffCvt

Re: Tool Thread

Post by JeffCvt »

So I renamed this the Tool Thread so I feel I have a place I feel I can talk about my tools without taking over the chat thread.

And so I have a question for you guys. What does a pound of drywall screws cost you? At my local Lowe's/Home Depot, a pound of any length drywall screw is about $6.50. At a more local store, while the price goes up a little as the length gets longer, a pound costs about $3.50. No difference in the quality.

So I'm just a little curious what you guys have to pay, because as you would guess, I don't buy ANY screws or nails from my Lowe's/Home Depot with that price difference.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Re: Tool Thread

Post by Foxstar »

I need to invest in a good set of tools for my house, the problem is finding the money for them.