78%
No
22%

Total votes: 191

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Well I already said I was a furry like a year and a half ago. I just went furrier and got the ears :P

still a shape-shifter but I usually default to my dog form: an Anatolian Shepherd.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I spent four days in Atlanta at FWA, my first Furry convention. It was a very surreal experience.

I'm not crazy about Atlanta. Its not that great a city. The hotel we stayed in was the Marquis Marriot and it was the biggest building I have ever been in. We were on the 31st floor of a 52 story building. I actually got vertigo going up in the glass elevators.

It was like a carnival. It took some time to get used to the crowds and the noise. And it was even stranger being surrounded by so many fur suiters. I really didn't know how to react. Luckily Hunter and her friends led me through it and showed me the ropes.

I spent a pile of money, mostly buying prints, portfolios and clothes. Most of them from Rukis and Herr Ardy. I commissioned a piece for my friend Hunter for her birthday. She loved it! We went to some of the panels and watched the dance competition. I think one of the funnest parts was seeing all the other guests react to our antics. The suiters even entertained the kids.

Everything did not go smoothly though. Saturday night some psycho called in a threat and after what happened at Midwest FurFest no one could take it lightly. Cops in fatigues showed up and patrolled the lobby.

Over all, it took me some time to get over my anxieties over noise, crowds and social situations in general but I really liked it. I hope I get invited to attend next year. I now know to bring a lot of money because there is a lot of stuff that I want to buy, art to commision and food in Atlanta is expensive!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Antics really are the best part of a furry convention.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

I consider myself a sort of borderline furry. I'm not really involved with the community, i don't have a Fur Affinity account (or an account on any other such site) and I don't have a fursona. But I do find anthro creatures kind of cool and enjoy things that have them.

I also tend to pick the anthro race in RPGs and the like. Tauren when I did the free World of Warcraft trial, Argonian in Skyrim, one of my first Pathfinder characters was a Tengu...
My RP Characters and their Voice Claims

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
Jammy

Post by Jammy »

After months of delicately balancing on the fence, I've finally decided to come down on the furry side.
Sure, I don't interact with the wider community all that much (if at all), but I'm still a fan, and isn't that why it's called a FANdom.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Exactly! If ya like furry stuff, that's enough to be a furry. It's a fandom, not a club!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

See I disagree a little there. I think it also has to do with level of enthusiasm.

For instance I like Harry Potter and Star Trek. I watch them (and read the harry Potter books) and enjoy them. I might even know a little more about them than the average person. But I don't consider myself a Potterhead or a Trekkie. I only enjoy them causally.

On the other hand, for things like superheroes or Star Wars I'm certainly part of the fandom there. I love those things and constantly consume media related to them.

So I don't consider myself a furry any more than I I consider myself a Trekkie or Potterhead. I enjoy media with anthropomorphic animals in it (just look what form I'm on), but not to the level of fandoms I'm really involved in.

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
Unusuallynamedperson

Post by Unusuallynamedperson »

Dissension wrote:It got said a lot in the old thread. x3

A good definition of a furry, though, were we to look for one, is an individual who enjoys works of art and literature (if you count them separately) which prominently feature anthropomorphic animals specifically for their inclusion of such creatures.
JeffCvt wrote:Hey guys and girls and otters and cats and hippos and everything else!

In response to some comments about not being able to change their vote in the old Are you a Furry thread, we have decided to start a new poll that will give you the option to change your vote should you want to!

Now, I could simply do that for the old thread, and that was what I wanted to do at first. However, changing those settings would reset the poll and we would lose all of the 300+ votes that have been cast. So instead, we are opening a new thread so we can change the settings yet still keep all of the old votes.

The stuff you really should read before posting:
Okay, so on to the important things about this thread.

First off, the question is Do you consider yourself a furry? This is a question about if you consider yourself a furry. This is not based off of some objective definition, so there is no need for a "maybe" option. You either decide you're a furry or not. (And it's okay to change your mind in the future!)

Next, this is not a furry only discussion. Everyone is allowed to talk here. If you aren't a furry but have a question about the fandom or just want to join in the chat, feel free to! We won't bite! (Well, the better behaved ones anyway. :P)

Last, keep it clean. You guys know the forums rules. If you don't, go read them. Yes, the furry fandom does have a more "adult" side to it, but it also has its nice, clean parts. (Such as the webcomic Housepets! You should all totally go read it. :roll:) There have been a lot of furry topics shut down in the past due to people talking about things they shouldn't, but the old Are you a Furry thread never had that problem. Let's keep it that way in this thread, okay?

P.S. [Link] to the original thread. -Sleet

Code: Select all

USER ERROR, CANNOT PARSE CODE! THESE ARGUMENTS CANCEL EACHOTHER OUT
Last edited by Unusuallynamedperson on Fri May 06, 2016 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I hit someone with a dictionary is that physical, or verbal assault?
https://discord.gg/2Kwwv Housepets Discord link repaired!
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Unusuallynamedperson wrote:
Dissension wrote:It got said a lot in the old thread. x3

A good definition of a furry, though, were we to look for one, is an individual who enjoys works of art and literature (if you count them separately) which prominently feature anthropomorphic animals specifically for their inclusion of such creatures.
I think the highlighted part above is why i don't consider myself a furry. I don't really like works with anthropomorphic animals because they feature those characters, I just happen to enjoy many that do.

Unusuallynamedperson

Yes I selected yes, and am the 100th voter

: D
Is there a specially marked prize for this? :o

:lol:
Jackal here...
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Unusuallynamedperson wrote:

Code: Select all

USER ERROR, CANNOT PARSE CODE! THESE ARGUMENTS CANCEL EACHOTHER OUT
Well, no.
Jeff is saying you can create your own definition of "furry" for the purposes of this thread.
Diss is saying that if you've never heard the term or you don't know what furry is, here is one possible very broad definition.
They're enhancing each other, not cancelling out, I think.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Unusuallynamedperson

That wouldn't be possible, if you come up with your own definition to pizza as cheese coverred bread, and someone gives you the definition of it as data and math you cannot possibly conceive a formula on the matter therefore the only two logical choices to this survey are to pick at random or don't at all.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

That.... really isn't remotely similar to this situation in the slightest...
It's more like if someone came to you and said, "There really isn't a hard and fast definition of what this is because everyone has their own opinion on the subject, but if we were to come up with a definition, this is probably about how ours would go." ;)
RedFoxWizard

Post by RedFoxWizard »

Me, I kind of just like to think of it as a "to each their own" kind of thing, but more along the lines of how Sleet said that liking furry stuff is good enough to consider yourself one. We kind of have a generalization for a basic definition (e.g. someone liking anthro art) but I think that it still has a certain degree of subjectivity.
I'm sure I said something similar to someone else, but that's my take on it. :P
Ice and fire magic? Does that result in a freezer-burn?
Unusuallynamedperson

wait...given that this toll would have no standards so the data would be inaccurate either way, wouldn't it?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

This is actually the issue that FishPreferred brought up a few pages ago. In the end, the question is, "do YOU consider YOURSELF a furry?"

This is based on your own choice, and likely what you consider "furry" will be different from another's.

Also, while you do have a point on the non-standardized take on this poll, it's not trying to write a journal for a magazine for this data. It's merely wishing to hear your own take on this, an opinion.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Well, no. Because in order to truthfully answer the question you have to understand what the question is asking. Also the reality is that "furry" does have a definition. In the same way it wouldn't make sense to describe pizza as math and data without referring to a crust it doesn't make sense to describe furry without referring to animals. Hence the question works.

Besides, the question says "do you consider yourself a furry", not "are you a furry". In other words you can use your own definition so the question works and the data is accurate.

But let's not get off topic. The purpose of this thread is to discuss if we're furry or not, not to discuss this thread because that would just be far too meta for these forums. :P

So yes, still a furry. I'm saving up for a furcon in January. I've also just become admin of the facebook page for the furries of Tasmania so I guess that makes me even more officially furry. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

the question is do you , the individual who is taking this poll , consider yourself a furry or not . Just like any other fandom whether or not your interest and involvement in that fandom is enough to be accepted as part of that fandom will be different from one person to another , from trekkie to furry to the unkindle ones(dark soul fans) , there is no gauge , no concrete sign , definition or mark that defines this . But what this poll is asking is , do you consider yourself to be one , or not , that's it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

This is the nerdiest discussion ever, you know that, guys? :P
Unusuallynamedperson

And yes you can refer to pizza as math! It's carbon isn't it? There you go, that's data but it wouldn't match up two and two to produce anything accurate, like ever...at least or for this concept. And yeah I know this isn't for anything fancy but you're compiling random data which is inaccurate that nobody will use...that doesn't make any sense. This is definately not the nerdiest conversation ever, have you ever listened to two old timer engineers talk? Although furry does have a definition your own definition would be different and cancel out any form of useful information.

Okay, after that I'm done
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...math is a concept, not matter, isn't it? Also, this poll is pretty much for the fun of it. A lot of what is considered "fun" outright doesn't make too much sense. We do it simply because we enjoy it.

Anyway, still not a furry, myself, but as I've mentioned earlier, there's benefit to being an outsider; when the rest of you have these conversations, I can have an almost unbiased view of what you're talking about. It can be somewhat fun and rather interesting to see.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

After the recent hacking attempt on FA and some data lost, I think it's necessary that I backup everything to another site. DeviantArt takes up way too many resources for me to even rely on sometimes. Would Weasyl be a good place?

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I've never used weasyl, but I hear good things.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Weasyl is pretty good, yes. Furry Network is another brilliant place with really great reviews. They come out of beta on Friday this week, American time, and they are quick to fix bugs and they listen to and respond to what the community wants. They're gaining popularity very fast and I think they're going to be the main contender for FA's replacement. They also have a bult-in tool to let you import your art and other submissions from other websites which makes getting everything on there very quick and easy. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Weasyl's my go-to "Not FA." Can somebody give me a quick pitch on Furry Network?
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Furry Network is an upcoming site where you can set filters for tags you don't want to see and tags for what you like. It has a commission feature and can take art, literature, and multimedia submissions, which can be imported from other art sites.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

FN is really good at listening to its users and implementing their suggestions. It's kind of a combination of an art site and a social media site in that you can post status updates as well as all your art and media. You can also block search engines from finding your art on it which should cut down on art theft. it has a feature in development where you can scroll through lists of artists who are open for commissions with examples of their work on the list, you can view slideshows of art in fullscreen, it allows uploading of videos directly to the site as well as all kinds of other multimedia, response times to queries are within 24 hours tops, staff send notes giving you the ability to fix your mistakes instead of arbitrarily deleting things, they're constantly on the ball and fixing issues as they arise, you can view artwork in a list view or in a grid view depending on what you prefer, they can send PMs better than other sites and they're implementing a proper journal feature...

All in all, it's a great site, very innovative and very responsive to the community. I think it's going to end up being the one everyone goes to if/when FA goes down.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I've checked both sites and I decided to go with Weasyl. I have a feeling that Furry Network is going to be resource-hungry like deviantArt, if first impressions are to be believed. I prefer simpler UIs with faster response times than a beautiful site that takes significantly longer to load.

Of course, I'm lazy to do so atm, because a certain game is taking like half my life right now TwT

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I think that the ability to filter tags is what sets FN apart - too many people post fetishy stuff on furry websites of one sort or another that a lot of people don't really care or want to see.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Ah, I see. Yeah, that would be a great feature/tool to have. To this day I still find that some artists' interpretation of 'fetish' are just wonky, resulting in what you described earlier. Even I got put off seeing them pop up even with the SFW tab on.

Though, I guess after 5 years of using the site and browsing through thousands of arts and fanfics, you just sorta learn to phase out the kinky things and focus on those that matter. However, I can see the appeal of FN to an SFW artist/watcher

axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

I like Weasyl and have account on there. I don't like FN due to the fact of scrolling and you having to reload the page at times.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well I might as well try both! I mean I already have Weasyl.
KingFan13

Post by KingFan13 »

I could be considered one by others, but I do not personally consider myself one. I just have a general interest in anthro animals.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Being a furry can make you a friend to a struggling artist. Just read this article.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/08/the- ... float.html

Furries are contributing to the arts and the economy by commissioning art and contributing to patreon and other funding sites. From what I have seen this is true. The artist known as Kadath has admitted that after he lost his day job during the recession, he turned to taking art on commission and has supported himself doing so.

And as I saw at FWA, artist can sell commissions, prints, books, clothing, jewelry and other creations to keep themselves up.

So, hooray for furries. They keep artists from going hungry.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

And then add a million new starving artists to the pool. :P
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

Anyone ever mentioned being a furry on some sites and get bothered for it,like being told not to bring it up?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Probably best not to mention it in other sites unless it is already brought up. It can lead to flame wars if there are people on who don't like furries.

Also, yeah. I consider myself a furry. I play as khajiit and argonians in the elder scrolls games, favorite movie was Zootopia, top three favorite comics are Housepets!, Freefall, and DMFA in that order with Savestate close behind. So yeah, I think I can safely say I'm a furry.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

CyberDragon wrote:Probably best not to mention it in other sites unless it is already brought up. It can lead to flame wars if there are people on who don't like furries.
I don't think it's much of a problem here due to the heavy moderation, but yeah.

____

My name says it all
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

CyberDragon wrote:Probably best not to mention it in other sites unless it is already brought up. It can lead to flame wars if there are people on who don't like furries.

Also, yeah. I consider myself a furry. I play as khajiit and argonians in the elder scrolls games, favorite movie was Zootopia, top three favorite comics are Housepets!, Freefall, and DMFA in that order with Savestate close behind. So yeah, I think I can safely say I'm a furry.
I play as a Khajiit as well and i have seen Zootopia. I also consider myself a furry.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Occasionally people react poorly but I'm pretty good at shrugging it off or explaining what furries are actually like!