A project

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sketcherofstuff

A project

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

Okay, I know that this might seem random, but here it is. I had to do a silly project for school. And by silly I mean dumbed down to the point of being rediculous for my grade level. No offense to my teacher, but it's the truth. So here's the good thing; I got to do my project on Stalingrad, a subject which I have been a self apointed expert on for the past two years. I even wrote a fictional short story on it. But any way, I went way over board with the summary and it was all written from memory. The hardest part of this asignment was finding sources for my bibliography, when I really didn't need any of them. But any way, while this may be a waist of a topic (if you just repeat that as a comment that would be one of the few things that would really annoy me, even if it is true), here's my summary. If I made some slip up I'd be glad to know, but (and I don't brag much anyway, so why not now?) I am an encyclopedia of WW2.

And just for the sake of whatever, here's the song I was listening to constantly while writing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LAkd0hS1LE

Stalingrad was a city in Russia which was engulfed in battle from the 17th of July 1942 to the 2nd of February 1943. Hitler’s insane hatred of communism and more specifically Joseph Stalin, sent him on a quest to remove Stalin’s name from the face of the earth. Thus, he divided the main German force in Russia, sent one north, one south to the Caucasus, and one, the 6th army which was considered to be the best of the German army to Stalingrad. Dividing the forces weakened them all and was a fatal mistake, as was every strategic movement that Hitler devised. At the time, the city was a very popular place, comparable to Philadelphia, however it was not evacuated for one cruel but true reason. The Russian defenders would fight harder if their families and far over 40,000 innocent citizens still inhabited the city. In the initial leveling of the city by Luftwaffe bombers thousands of civilians were killed, and more still when the invading German 6th army entered the city. The Germans soon realized their foolishness in destroying the city when their massive Tiger II tanks could not navigate the streets due to the tons of rubble. This slowed the German advance and gave the defenders yet another advantage, their first being that they, as previously stated, had the stronger will to fight and die for their country. The Germans were also ill equipped to fight a winter battle which it quickly became. The 6th army’s other handicap was their inferior building to building combat skills. The expert Russian snipers are probably one of the most famous and important aspects of the battle. They knew the city itself much better than the Germans did and took advantage of it by wedging themselves into every last knock and cranny and hanging onto the city even when they only controlled 10 percent of it along the Volga River. The Volga was yet another important aspect of the battle, because it was used to ship across more and more Russian soldiers by boat. The boats were still preyed upon by fighter planes however, and some would reach the other side filled with nothing but dead bodies and two inches of blood. As the Germans drew closer to the river, makeshift trucks with large rocket launchers strapped to their backs were parked along the bank of the river hidden by the high dunes. These rockets caused massive German casualties because of their incredible range. As the Russian defenders continued to hang on to the city by a thread, two Russian forces, one from the north and one from the south, enacted a prong movement and encircled the Germans, who, despite Hitler’s ridiculous commands, surrendered on the 2nd of February 1943.

The Russian victory in Stalingrad renewed the fighting spirit of the Red Army. It also crippled the German forces to a point which they would never recover from. After the Battle of Stalingrad, the Russian began a slow but sure push towards Berlin. If the battle had gone in favor of the 6th army, the Red Army would certainly never had recovered. More importantly, this would have led to the total conquest of the Soviet Union and possibly a far different outcome of the entire European theater in World War Two. Although the Russian army is said to be a much more vicious and uncivilized force than the German army, which may have been their advantage, they were fighting for the just cause. Before Stalingrad, there had been very few allied victories in the war. The fact that the army which was in general opinion lesser had won such a monumental battle inspired all allied powers. This battle is, in my opinion, one of the three most influential battles in the war, those being Operation Overlord (D-Day) , Iwo Jima, and Stalingrad. And even then, It could still be called the number one battle of the war, considering that in it the allied force came closer to defeat than in either of the other battles mentioned, and therefore is an even bigger miracle.

Yep, that's the end. And trust me, I plaugerized nothing.
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Re: A project

Post by RaptorAnton »

Hey, encyclopedia-man, your knowledges on relationship between Hitler and Stalin (And his name sounds not like Joseph) are mostly wrong. Hitler never had any personal hate to Stalin. And you know, phrase "sent him on a quest to remove Stalin’s name from the face of the earth" sounds TOO EPIC ;) .
Stalin's name sounds like E'os'ef, if you're interested. So, yes, Joseph is the nearest analog, if you read it the right way...

And the other part is written great, so, A+ ))
I'm from Russia, so please, don't pay attention to my terrible accent ;)
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

Thank you very much! Exactly the kind of info I would want. I guess I heard wrongly about that. Thanks :D
(I really did doom my self with over confidence didn't I...)
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Sketcherofstuff wrote:Thank you very much! Exactly the kind of info I would want. I guess I heard wrongly about that. Thanks :D
This year is my last year at school, and we have a subject, called WW2. WE EVEN HAVE A BOOK FOR THIS SUBJECT!!!
So, you can ask me, if you have any questions - I will be happy, if that stupid book would help anyone...
To tell the truth, we have too much history subjects: World history, World War 2, history of Belarus (and this is really weird, cause it's like studing something like "history of California" - do you have anything like that? Definitly not.). And I have three history lessons a week. Enormously boring lessons... And we have to learn such things, that we will never use in any way. So, that is the reason, why I'm glad to give you a hand - I like to share my knowledges with other people.
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

RaptorAnton wrote:
Sketcherofstuff wrote:Thank you very much! Exactly the kind of info I would want. I guess I heard wrongly about that. Thanks :D
This year is my last year at school, and we have a subject, called WW2. WE EVEN HAVE A BOOK FOR THIS SUBJECT!!!
So, you can ask me, if you have any questions - I will be happy, if that stupid book would help anyone...
To tell the truth, we have too much history subjects: World history, World War 2, history of Belarus (and this is really weird, cause it's like studing something like "history of California" - do you have anything like that? Definitly not.). And I have three history lessons a week. Enormously boring lessons... And we have to learn such things, that we will never use in any way. So, that is the reason, why I'm glad to give you a hand - I like to share my knowledges with other people.
It is rare in my school system to learn about world war 2. And this unit will only last a week or so. The assignment is annoyingly dumbed down. SOME OF THE STUDENTS IN MY CLASS DID NOT KNOW WHAT THE HOLOCAUST WAS. OR D-DAY. So for these people they've made this unit shorter and easrier than all of the others. Grrrr... :evil:
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

One my friend had to leave to America with his father and stay there and, as you can undertand, he had to stydy at american shool. He later told me, that he had problems only with english lessons. And he had no troubles with other subjects, cause, as he said, we used to study all those things years ago. That made me really proud of russian system of education. :D
As I see, russian educational system is made to make dumbs to study hard, not to have their bubblegum kicked from school. And american educational system is made the way, that lets dumb people not to feel themselves dumb, because of smarter students. Am I right?
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

RaptorAnton wrote:One my friend had to leave to America with his father and stay there and, as you can undertand, he had to stydy at american shool. He later told me, that he had problems only with english lessons. And he had no troubles with other subjects, cause, as he said, we used to study all those things years ago. That made me really proud of russian system of education. :D
As I see, russian educational system is made to make dumbs to study hard, not to have their *** kicked from school. And american educational system is made the way, that lets dumb people not to feel themselves dumb, because of smarter students. Am I right?
You are right atleast refering to my school system. I can not speak for the rest of the country.
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Sketcherofstuff wrote:You are right atleast refering to my school system. I can not speak for the rest of the country.
So, are there any americans amoung us, who are proud of their national system of education?))
(It is a question to everybody, who reads this)
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

RaptorAnton wrote:
Sketcherofstuff wrote:You are right atleast refering to my school system. I can not speak for the rest of the country.
So, are there any americans amoung us, who are proud of their national system of education?))
(It is a question to everybody, who reads this)
Probablly not after the No Child left Behind act.
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

I wish studied in Great Britain. I really like their educational system, at least it's part for higher grades, when you can choose, what subjects you would study. We don't have such choise, and we have to study many subjects we don't really need...
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

RaptorAnton wrote:I wish studied in Great Britain. I really like their educational system, at least it's part for higher grades, when you can choose, what subjects you would study. We don't have such choise, and we have to study many subjects we don't really need...
ME TOO. Well really, just living in the uk in general is what I want, but the education would be a plus too.
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Hmm... And why do you want to live in the UK? Except education, I mean...
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

RaptorAnton wrote:Hmm... And why do you want to live in the UK? Except education, I mean...
Their music, their food, their life style, their living conditions, their entertainment (movies/tv), their bueatiful landscape, their sense of humor, and their education. Also, their police are very well trained to the extent that most carry no firearms, which takes a lot of courage when entering a dangerous situation and also reduces deaths involved with police actions. Some people who I mentioned this to said that they were wimpy fancy people, and our police were awsome and kick*** with their guns. This is exactly the type of atitude that makes me favour countries like the Uk over America.
And Russia also interests me greatly which is why I chose Stalingrad for a project topic.
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Russia used to be interesting 20 years ago. Now it's only a parody of itself.
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

RaptorAnton wrote:Russia used to be interesting 20 years ago. Now it's only a parody of itself.
That's too bad. It's so annoying how racist people can be here against, well, pretty much all ethnic groups, especially considering that America is the biggest melting pot on earth. Like I said, people some times even have a low opinion of Britian, the country with the most influence over our history. This, of course, does not mean all people share this attitude, just some.
If I said I liked Russia at my school, some idiot would say COMMUNIST!
The cold war is over, geez.
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

That's too bad. It's so annoying how racist people can be here against, well, pretty much all ethnic groups, especially considering that America is the biggest melting pot on earth. Like I said, people some times even have a low opinion of Britian, the country with the most influence over our history. This, of course, does not mean all people share this attitude, just some.
If I said I liked Russia at my school, some idiot would say COMMUNIST!
The cold war is over, geez.[/quote]

Do you still have "In Soviet Russia..." jokes?))
I like this one:
"In America you watch TV. In Soviet Russia TV watches you!"

And, speaking about steriotipes...
Check this.

And, hey, I'm really interested, is that truth, that most americans are sure that America won World War II. I mean, without any help. :lol:
I know very little about american army in WW2 - only world-famous D-Day (And I also know, that America was sending supplies to russian army at the very end of the war.), and I'm sure that that was russian army, finishing the war after taking Berlin.
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

Ya, America actually had it easy in WW2 compared to everyone else. Italy was the only major country with fewer deaths overall, but we sustained almost no civilian casualities. Russia got the worst of it, but still made a huge comeback.
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Before the war began, the Soviet army was preparing to conduct combat in enemy territory. That is the reason why they had so many troubles, fighting on our territory, and why war finished really fast, after battles moved to enemy territory...
And why Soviet army was preparing to conduct combat in enemy territory? Cause USSR was almost ready to conquer the world...
*Do you know this joke:
-How much coca-cola will cost after third world war?
-Two rubles.*
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

Ha. Rubles.
Actually, wasn't Russia preparing to declare war on America as we were dropping the atomic bombs on Japan, but because of this display of power, they backed down?
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Sketcherofstuff wrote:Ha. Rubles.
Actually, wasn't Russia preparing to declare war on America as we were dropping the atomic bombs on Japan, but because of this display of power, they backed down?
I was thinking about what to answer to you for two hours, and every time I was writing something offensive about your country and your people. That's cause I really dislike that happening in Japan. It was like kicking a man who is already down. I don't want to speak about this, if you don't mind - I'm afraid to say something wrong...

And USSR really wanted to just finish this war, so they had no plans about declaring war to anybody...
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

RaptorAnton wrote:
Sketcherofstuff wrote:Ha. Rubles.
I was thinking about what to answer to you for two hours, and every time I was writing something offensive about your country and your people. That's cause I really dislike that happening in Japan. It was like kicking a man who is already down. I don't want to speak about this, if you don't mind - I'm afraid to say something wrong...

And USSR really wanted to just finish this war, so they had no plans about declaring war to anybody...
I'm sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect. I was just speculating. I do agree that dropping an atomic bomb on civilians is wrong, and we should have attacked military bases instead. No matter what way we ended the war, many people were going to die. I guess some of that RUSSIA IS EVIL stuff got to me after all.

You know what movie, atleast I think, showed acuratly the relationship between the Russian and American armies after the war? The Good German. It's about the occupation of berlin in 1945 or 1946. But any way, I take back that thing about Russia planning to attack America.
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

That's ok. Nowadays war between Russia and America would last for half an hour (Topol-M vs. Babylon) and then 90% of the world would turn into radioactive deserts.

p.s. It's so ironic that the only country in the whole world, that actually respects Russia, is Germany...
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

RaptorAnton wrote:That's ok. Nowadays war between Russia and America would last for half an hour (Topol-M vs. Babylon) and then 90% of the world would turn into radioactive deserts.

p.s. It's so ironic that the only country in the whole world, that actually respects Russia, is Germany...
That is ironic. It's too bad that today's generation of Germans still have to live with the world's veiws of Nazi Germany.
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Sketcherofstuff wrote:
RaptorAnton wrote:That's ok. Nowadays war between Russia and America would last for half an hour (Topol-M vs. Babylon) and then 90% of the world would turn into radioactive deserts.

That is ironic. It's too bad that today's generation of Germans still have to live with the world's veiws of Nazi Germany.
I think, they don't really care. You see, I don't care that one of your dumb schoolmates is sure that all russians are communists - so why the hell should germans worry about what other people think?
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

RaptorAnton wrote:
Sketcherofstuff wrote:

I think, they don't really care. You see, I don't care that one of your dumb schoolmates is sure that all russians are communists - so why the **** should germans worry about what other people think?
True, again. It's funny how America is very good friends with Japan and Germany now. Things sure do change.
Actually, some other idiots at my school theorized that Japan has bottled up anger about the atomic bomb and that they are only pretending to be our friends (for 60 years?!), and that they will launch a large scale infantry invasion on us as revenge soon. They weren't joking.

I really want to live in Europe
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

And europeans wants to live and work in America)))
"You do not appreciate what you have, before you loose it."
And I don'treally care where to live - the only thing I need is a job, that I like. Doing what you like to do - is the best thing in the whole world. How do you think?
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

RaptorAnton wrote:And europeans wants to live and work in America)))
"You do not appreciate what you have, before you loose it."
And I don'treally care where to live - the only thing I need is a job, that I like. Doing what you like to do - is the best thing in the whole world. How do you think?
I want to live in Britain cause i like that type of climate and all that i mentioned before, and I want to write for a living. I want to live abroad because places that I haven't lived my whole life are more interesting to me.
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Yeah, I would like to live somewhere, where it's not hot as hell in summer, and not freakin' cold in winter.
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

That's just how it is here. There is rarely weather in the middle. Either burning or freezing. :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Sketcherofstuff wrote:That's just how it is here. There is rarely weather in the middle. Either burning or freezing. :(
And the only time, when the weather is fine - is that very moment when it swithces from HOT to COLD :lol:

And, hey, no more dialogues about war?)) This thread becomes boring...
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

RaptorAnton wrote:
Sketcherofstuff wrote:That's just how it is here. There is rarely weather in the middle. Either burning or freezing. :(
And the only time, when the weather is fine - is that very moment when it swithces from HOT to COLD :lol:

Okay, so, what do you belive was the last war (on Earth to this day) waged for a valid reason. I say World War 2.
Here Comes The Fuzz
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Sketcherofstuff wrote:
RaptorAnton wrote:

Okay, so, what do you belive was the last war (on Earth to this day) waged for a valid reason. I say World War 2.
He said no more dialogues on war.

Just saying.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Ebly is wrong, Scetch got me right.
I'll reply later - it's late night for me and I really need to sleep. (I feel like my brains just switched off)
See me on DeviantArt.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

RaptorAnton wrote:Ebly is wrong, Scetch got me right.
I'll reply later - it's late night for me and I really need to sleep. (I feel like my brains just switched off)
Oh, I see. You were asking why there weren't any more, not asking for him to stop.

Apologies!
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Sketcherofstuff wrote:Okay, so, what do you belive was the last war (on Earth to this day) waged for a valid reason. I say World War 2.
I'm a pacifist. I can't find any reason in the world, that can justify wars. Well, actually, if you're just defending - that's ok in my view, but starting the war is a step, that can't be justifyed. (Hey, who started the war in Iraq? ;) )
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

I don't know... CANADA
Here Comes The Fuzz
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Right! Canada is the main villain! :lol:
See me on DeviantArt.
Sketcherofstuff

Canada actually has helped the US fight in WW2 and lost at least 1,000 soldiers for our cause despite people's insistance that they don't even have an army.
Here Comes The Fuzz
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

At this point, I think you may be getting stereotypes and solidly held beliefs confused. Canada had the fourth-largest Allied military during World War II. Their navy was third-largest. Currently, Canada has unified all of its military components into one "branch" with several components such as Ground Command (land forces), Maritime Command (naval forcess), Transport & Logistics Command (duh, transport and logistics), and... maybe Aerospace Command? I can't remember; I'm not an expert on the Canadian military's order of battle.

I joke with a Canadian friend all the time about how they have no military and he jokes back about the U.S. being the big brother and Canada being the little brother; when little bro gets roughed up, big bro steps in and punishes! It doesn't mean I assume the nonexistence of a Canadian armed service; it's just a joke.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sketcherofstuff

Dissension wrote:At this point, I think you may be getting stereotypes and solidly held beliefs confused. Canada had the fourth-largest Allied military during World War II. Their navy was third-largest. Currently, Canada has unified all of its military components into one "branch" with several components such as Ground Command (land forces), Maritime Command (naval forcess), Transport & Logistics Command (duh, transport and logistics), and... maybe Aerospace Command? I can't remember; I'm not an expert on the Canadian military's order of battle.

I joke with a Canadian friend all the time about how they have no military and he jokes back about the U.S. being the big brother and Canada being the little brother; when little bro gets roughed up, big bro steps in and punishes! It doesn't mean I assume the nonexistence of a Canadian armed service; it's just a joke.
I'm not saying that all people are steriotyping jerks, I'm saying SOME people are like that. I understand that most people aren't. (and you sound like an expert on canadian military ;) )
Here Comes The Fuzz