Safari
5%
Other
3%

Total votes: 58

Deske

Re: What Web Browser Do You Use?

Post by Deske »

Render wrote:Speaking of that, does anybody know the Waterfox? Seems to be the 64bit version of the Firefox.
I tried Waterfox, though I wasn't entirely sure what the purpose of it was at the point. To me it didn't seem to be much different from Firefox. Just a different team and a different color scheme, but I didn't really find any major differences with it.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

Deske wrote:
Render wrote:Speaking of that, does anybody know the Waterfox? Seems to be the 64bit version of the Firefox.
I tried Waterfox, though I wasn't entirely sure what the purpose of it was at the point. To me it didn't seem to be much different from Firefox. Just a different team and a different color scheme, but I didn't really find any major differences with it.
Waterfox sounds... different.
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I heard that Windows updates HAVE to come through IE. If you don't have it, your Windows computer won't update, even if you have another web browser installed.

I've never tested or looked into this so I don't know if it's true, but the guy who told me is just as knowledgeable as anyone you'll find in a good computer repair shop.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

JeffCvt wrote:I heard that Windows updates HAVE to come through IE. If you don't have it, your Windows computer won't update, even if you have another web browser installed.

I've never tested or looked into this so I don't know if it's true, but the guy who told me is just as knowledgeable as anyone you'll find in a good computer repair shop.
False.

Windows updates will not go through if you manually turn windows updates OFF. I don't recommend doing this, as I had Windows 8 set to prompt me and it never did so I went 6 months without any updates (I didn't notice either) and got some really, really weird exceptions thrown in the operating system and some failing drivers. I had half a gig worth of updates to download. >.>

Luckily I use Avast!, malwarebytes, and AdwCleaner so my system wasn't exposed to anything dangerous. :O
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This is the first time that I am hearing about this "Waterfox" thing.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:This is the first time that I am hearing about this "Waterfox" thing.
It sounds like something that shouldn't have existed.
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

After trying out several web browsers, I've always come back to Firefox. For me it has the least problems and is the most reliable one for me. I keep Chrome as a backup web browser as at one point I came across certain sites that Firefox wouldn't load up but Chrome would. I wanted to like Opera but it always problematic for me. I dislike IE, but I won't deny its usually been reliable for me in the past.

Lately through I've had no reason to really use anything else but Firefox.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Didn't Mozilla have an email client called Ice Weasel?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Sleet wrote:Didn't Mozilla have an email client called Ice Weasel?
All I know is Thunderbird...
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So its agreed? Mozilla likes creating various elemental animals.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

Beagle wrote:
JeffCvt wrote:I heard that Windows updates HAVE to come through IE. If you don't have it, your Windows computer won't update, even if you have another web browser installed.

False.

Windows updates will not go through if you manually turn windows updates OFF. I don't recommend doing this, as I had Windows 8 set to prompt me and it never did so I went 6 months without any updates (I didn't notice either) and got some really, really weird exceptions thrown in the operating system and some failing drivers. I had half a gig worth of updates to download. >.>

Luckily I use Avast!, malwarebytes, and AdwCleaner so my system wasn't exposed to anything dangerous. :O
Only bad thing is, it will update when your doing something important.
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Deske

Post by Deske »

I actually turned the reminders to update off because I didn't like playing a game and having my computer suddenly shut down. I just check every once in a while now.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I use FireFox. Of course.
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

As seems to be the consensus around here I also used to use Internet Explorer and tolerated it for years, but everything changed when ask.com attacked. Only Google Chrome the master of fast web browsing could save it. But when the internet needed it most....I chose Firefox.

And never dared to look back at the pain.
Hi Hi Pie
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

I primarily use Firefox and occasionally Google Chrome for some things (e.g. working with Google Docs offline).

I feel bad for the poor souls using Internet Explorer.
My RP Characters and their Voice Claims

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

You shouldn't. Let's not debase ourselves by putting down others' choices in Web browsers.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Firefox. Fiddled with Chrome for a little while, but ended up sticking with Firefox.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I used Firefox for a while, but it started crashing a lot (a problem that my brother and dad both had on their own computers) so I switched to Chrome. so I use Chrome now.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

I generally use Firefox, but I have Chrome installed just for those times when Firefox doesn't like something. It was somewhat uncommon for me to use Chrome and these days its increasingly become less common.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

Firefox. I used to use IE,but i find Firefox is nicer. I always cringe when apps i download on my laptop try to force IE on me.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

also Chrome is helpful in learning mandolin: I can watch videos of songs at half speed and play along.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Deske

Post by Deske »

Sleipnir for mobile and Firefox/Chrome for PC. Chrome for certain extensions and Firefox as my main browser.
Sleipnir is just really good at managing everything.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have never even heard of Sleipnir before.
himeakira

Post by himeakira »

google haha XD
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Surprised NOBODY uses Opera.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I honestly only know it exists because it was the browser on the Wii, so I'm not that surprised.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

I'm the only one that still uses Opera mini??
well, i use it with data plan.

in Wifi (at home), i use on my phone, ASUS browser (came with my ZenFone 2) and on my PC, Firefox.

Chrome is very heavy on netbooks, reason why i switched to Firefox. (even IE worked better than Chrome)

and there's Chromium, its opensource Chrome.

Edit: before android phones and iphones became popular, when everything was J2ME, Opera Mini was the best browser.
Last edited by tsMKG on Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I honestly only know it exists because it was the browser on the Wii, so I'm not that surprised.
Only found it out because I saw it could be used on a MacBook Pro.
Deske

Post by Deske »

JeffCvt wrote:We all share the common ground of using the internet. I know this because this forum is on the internet and you wouldn't be reading this without using it. :P

But there is more than one way to access it. We call the programs we use to access and search it "web browsers." Which one do you use?

Do you use the super fast and not much else Google Chrome? Or perhaps you're a fan of FireFox and the tons of useless add-ons it comes with? Maybe you prefer Safari, Apple's web browser named after an expedition to observe animals in Africa? Or do you use Internet Explorer, probably the most creative name ever devised for a program that explores the internet?

Vote up top and talk about it down below. We'd love to hear why you use what you do!
I'd just like to mention the fact that I never realized the massive amount of sass in this opening post. It is amazing and I love it.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Surprised NOBODY uses Opera.
I do! :lol: it's pretty nice, though i'm not one to judge if its better than other browsers since i'm not really that techy. I just like their overall style and the 'discover' feature is a nice way to surf the web when you're bored :P

Not too excited about their new logo though.
Despite What You've been told... I once had a soul.
Left somewhere behind...
~~Avatar by MrAxolatte~!!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe I might go back to it sometime. Sounds more interesting than it was 6 years ago.
Dr_Yay

Post by Dr_Yay »

I use OS X, and Safari is definitely one of the best choices for that. (And not just because the OS X version of Chrome is even worse at draining resources and battery power)

It's optimized just for Mac computers, so it runs a lot better and uses up a lot less resources, unlike other browsers on Windows and whatever that have to work on every different modern system.

My only real problem with it is that it doesn't show the little icons in tabs.
Twitter- @Luna_Blaster
Skype- Dr_Yay
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I remember when Firefox did that on my old Windows desktop computer.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Deske wrote:
JeffCvt wrote:We all share the common ground of using the internet. I know this because this forum is on the internet and you wouldn't be reading this without using it. :P

But there is more than one way to access it. We call the programs we use to access and search it "web browsers." Which one do you use?

Do you use the super fast and not much else Google Chrome? Or perhaps you're a fan of FireFox and the tons of useless add-ons it comes with? Maybe you prefer Safari, Apple's web browser named after an expedition to observe animals in Africa? Or do you use Internet Explorer, probably the most creative name ever devised for a program that explores the internet?

Vote up top and talk about it down below. We'd love to hear why you use what you do!
I'd just like to mention the fact that I never realized the massive amount of sass in this opening post. It is amazing and I love it.
I aim to please. :P
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Tried to switch over to Google Chrome but I could not take to it. Anytime I tried to play a video, it would crash.
RashallVetkay

Post by RashallVetkay »

I use Chrome mainly, but I have FireFox as a back up.
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

Xbox Live ID: Rashall Vetkay

Steam ID: Rashall (same avatar picture as here on the forums)
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Tried to switch over to Google Chrome but I could not take to it. Anytime I tried to play a video, it would crash.
... Really? That's odd.

Was it just on a specific site, or was it pretty much any video anywhere? l did have a problem with videos on Youtube once and did a lot of research and messing with Chrome trying to fix the problem before I ended up figuring out it was Youtube having the problems.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Anyways, nowadays Chrome's requirements are the ones for Crysis :ugeek:

That's why I use Firefox.

I only use Chrome for his chromeapps (AllCast mostly)
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

To be honest, while I admit I've never taken a real look at Firefox's impact on my RAM and compared it to Chrome, the impact that Chrome has doesn't seem all that bad. On my Dell, back when it still had Windows 7, I could run Chrome, Skype, and Paint.net all at the same time with no real problem on 4 gigs of Ram.

As of right now on my Chromebook, with 7 tabs open (and one currently playing music on Google Play, one with a paused Youtube video, and one other actually running the process to check the memory), I am using 2 Gigs of memory. Doesn't seem too bad honestly.

I mean, I suppose you'd be in a little trouble if your computer only had two gigs of RAM, but then you would (hopefully) use the 32 bit version which probably cuts back on the memory usage I imagine.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I found out the problem and it was the site itself, but I decided to stay with Safari for now.