The Real Life Animal Encounters Discussion

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

The Blue Fox

The Real Life Animal Encounters Discussion

Post by The Blue Fox »

So just earlier on this very afternoon that I’m posting this, my mum and I went on a nice little walk out down our local nature reserve seen as it was a nice day. Nothing too special, really, just felt like getting a bit of real world into our systems…

…but then, we were starting to head back home…now, to head back home we have to head up a road, uphill, that cuts through a small, kiddies educational farm of sorts…and it’s surrounded by fields for its horses.

Now, my mum was watching some common-as-mud sparrows fly over a farm gate into one of these fields…and then she spotted something in the middle of the feild and called me over.

You know, sometimes I can just swear on my life that the creatures of nature always know when you don’t have a camera on you, and this is definitely one of those times multiplied by some brain-busting sum of numbers.

I’m talking broad daylight, out in the open slap bang in the middle of the feild, some 50 meters or so away, scratching its ear with its hind leg, bold as you like, 8th wild fox I’ve seen in my entire lifetime so far.

I swear on my life I’m not even making this up.

I…I…I just can’t even…

I’m…just…flabbergasted…

It looked to be in pretty good health too…tail as bushy as you like. Glorious orange coat.

And all these other people were just waltzing on by not even paying attention. No idea they were just meters away from one brilliant example of nature at its finest.

What a spot! Wooooo!
Last edited by The Blue Fox on Sun May 24, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
deepskycyan

Re: I Just Can't Even...

Post by deepskycyan »

Woah. I can see why you'd want to make a post about this experience of yours. Must have been a wondrous sight. Majestic creatures, foxes.

You should consider yourself fortunate. I personally have never seen a fox; not even in captivity.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Foxes are pretty elusive round where I live as well. Not that I've tried all that hard so far, really...all 8 of my spots have just been complete and utter luck.

My mum and I have been talking about getting some night vision gear and heading down to a local nature reserve of an evening to see if we can spot a fox or two then.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

Cool story...
also I hate it when you grab your camera to take pictures, then some mysterious force somehow keeps you from actually getting the pictures (like the camera itself is missing).

But It does make a great story just to know how you encountered a fox of this magnitude though. :)
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

InDaZone1219 wrote:CI hate it when you grab your camera to take pictures, then some mysterious force somehow keeps you from actually getting the pictures (like the camera itself is missing).
I know, right?!?!? XD
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

The Blue Fox wrote:
InDaZone1219 wrote:CI hate it when you grab your camera to take pictures, then some mysterious force somehow keeps you from actually getting the pictures (like the camera itself is missing).
I know, right?!?!? XD
I'd have way more YouTube videos than I do now if it wasn't for that mysterious force.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

It is obivious. You have seen the real life Karishad. ;)
There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Shadowstar23 wrote:It is obivious. You have seen the real life Karishad. ;)
He's graduated from local hooligan to international hooligan!

But that how it always is with photography I suppose. Nature photographers will spend months in the field to get only a few choice shots. And, the animals rarely cooperate.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I never see foxes around where I live but my mom did make friends with a squirrel who comes around avoiding my cats to get peanuts. One time when I was going to school, I caught him coming up the stairs to the porch waiting for her.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

All I see are dead deer carcasses in my area... :|
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Shadowstar23 wrote:It is obivious. You have seen the real life Karishad. ;)
He's graduated from local hooligan to international hooligan!
*Looks up Karishad...*

...oh, that random fox guy that pops up in the comic...I see...
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I've only seen foxes a few times. I have seen raccoons, coyotes, skunks, possums and deer. I usually see some type of animal on my walk to work in the morning when it is still dark. When I was at the coast I saw alligators.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I'm pretty sure that seeing a fox in broad daylight is a sign that it has rabies, so you may want to report it to someone
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I'm pretty sure that seeing a fox in broad daylight is a sign that it has rabies, so you may want to report it to someone
even in the wild?
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Cool experience, thanks to have told us, but pity for the camera missing. :) I would love to see a fox in real life. :D
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

apparently I was wrong, foxes aren't one of the ones where that's a bad sign.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:apparently I was wrong, foxes aren't one of the ones where that's a bad sign.
I'm pretty sure that's expressed in raccoons. I there's more but that's the only one I could think of off the top of my head.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

It's a sign!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

When I was in Colorado for three months, I saw a few coyotes at a pretty close range (100 feet or so, maybe less). Once I even chased one on my bike; it was walking down a dirt path on the way home. My friend who was accompanying me said that was the fastest he had ever seen me bike - and it was uphill. On gravel. Sometimes a wolf's... er - corgi's - gotta protect their turf. :lol:

Here where I live, I saw a fox on our neighbor down the road's property - of course, it was really dark and pretty far away, so I didn't get a good look at it - positive it was a fox, though. Saw a pretty mangy coyote a couple of times in a field along the road as well.

When I lived in Virginia, we sometimes heard this eerie shrieking noise late at night. We thought it was a mentally disturbed kid screaming, but later on we learned that it was a fox. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Douglas Collier wrote:When I lived in Virginia, we sometimes heard this eerie shrieking noise late at night. We thought it was a mentally disturbed kid screaming, but later on we learned that it was a fox. :P
yep, that's definitely something that'll scare the carp out of you late at night
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
TheCactipus

Post by TheCactipus »

I'm not sure how many foxes I've seen. I see them all around in the forests around where I live. I did once have one very human-oriented fox put his front paws on my car while at Mt. Rainier, but that was a special and very strange case.

I also volunteer at a wildlife rehabilitation center, and they occasionally receive foxes. Unfortunately, they usually have been hit by cars and don't live for very long...

okay now I'm sad
"Votes for women, step in time!"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My grandparents in Arizona have seen a lot of foxes.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I should prolly tell the stories of my other 7 fox encounters.

My very first was when I was quite young...I was probably about 4 at the youngest and 6 at the oldest...
...If I recall correctly, my mom and I were heading home from the library, and it was evening...we were, like, halfway down the road we live on, and all of a sudden a fox shot across the road...looked like it had someone's chicken dinner in its mouth...and dived into a back alley about 20 - 30 meters in front of us.

Then, one day much more recently, I was walking round the back of our local nature reserve with my mom, coming down some stairs from a side pathway onto a main pathway...and suddenly I saw a fox shoot across the main pathway in front of us from one patch of undergrowth to another. But my mom was looking elsewhere. I was the only one who saw that one.

The there was the time, one evening, I was in this car park of my local radio station that I was sort of visiting at the time...and then I got startled by something jumping out of a bush by the car park exit...it then stood there for a second...and at first I thought it was a cat...but then I saw the tail...and was like "That's not a cat!" and then it sped off like a bullet round the back of the building somewhere.

The last really clear view of one I had was at my dad's allotment...there's a railway line along the back of it...and we all know railway embankments are a fox's best friend, right? So this one time I spotted this rather scruffy-looking fox sitting there...and I actually had my camera on me, but as I tried to get closer for a better shot, it skulked off.

The other 3 sightings were just fleeting glimpses of mere seconds at various locations, including two at my dad's allotment, but I knew they were of foxes.

Of course I'm counting only WILD sightings here...I'm not counting the two captive foxes I all but got to play with at Lower Moss Wood one time. :P Because they were too imprinted on humans to go back to the wild.
Last edited by The Blue Fox on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

Nice. Where I live you could never get any real sort of encounter with one other than seeing one cross the road in front of your car as you were driving somewhere or most commonly as roadkill on the side/on the road or a body hanging up somewhere on a farmers property (I live in Australia where foxes are considered a dangerous pest, so you very rarely get to experience such moments here).

I do believe every now and then I hear their cries in the evening/early in the night where I live but I can't be sure.

I've had some pretty memorable times with some wildlife sightings, but not as much as most people.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I almost never see foxes. It makes me sad. :( Especially since everyone is negative about it if we do see one, since we have small dogs.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I've never seen one but I've heard them a bunch.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Foxes get shot if they get seen over here. They're a real threat to our ecosystem. I've never seen a live one either.

I do love seeing all our Australian native wildlife though and I love trying to capture them on film, difficult though it is.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Why are foxes the threat? EVERYTHING in Australia wants to kill you! Even the plant life! That Gympi Gympi plant scares me.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Because nature has a balance that must be kept. Throw one thing out and the implications are far reaching and can lead to extinctions and devastation of natural environments. Foxes were introduced by some Englishman who thought it would be more fun to shoot them instead of kangaroos and they ended up breeding and devastating populations of unique animals we have over here. They were recently introduced into Tasmania too and there's a lot of work being done to get rid of them despite the people who are in denial about their existence there.

It's true that a lot of things in Australia can kill you but really the only time they actually WANT to do that is if you're threatening them.

But this is probably getting way off topic.

I didn't get to see any native British wildlife when I visited England. I'm determined that I shall on my next visit whenever that may be. I shall see a fox and an otter and a mole and a badger. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Hlaoroo wrote:I didn't get to see any native British wildlife when I visited England. I'm determined that I shall on my next visit whenever that may be. I shall see a fox and an otter and a mole and a badger. :)
Pfft, Good luck with seeing ALL of those in one trip. Especially a mole. :roll:
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Actually, I lie. I saw a lot of water-birds at a lake near an old mill and monastery near Edwinstowe and plenty of pigeons in London. So I saw some native British animals.

Hey, I didn't say how long that one trip would be though, did I, Thom? :P
I'm sure there are ways to go about seeing them anyway. Even if I don't see them in the wild, you'd probably still have a zoo.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Pigeons don't count. :P

Not a zoo for our native animals, no. Though we do have wildlife centers that will be housing imprinted animals. Heck I know of a good one for Foxes and Otters not too far from where I live. Maybe I can take ya.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Aw. Well, I still saw lots of waterfowl. I'll find and upload a picture for you.

That would be fun. :) There was one I think down near Canterbury somewhere too which looked good...
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Yeah, waterfowl's fine. Especially if you got something rare. I'll let ya know if ya do if you can find that piccy.

Yeah, there's a few dotted about the place...but moles will still be hard to come byh even in wildlife centers.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

*reminds herself to never go to Australia*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sounds very nice. Too bad i could've seen it myself =3

I really gotta grab my DS when i go on trips all the time. I'm known to be a fox magnet (My sister can vouch for that =D). I've seen about 15 around where i'm at in the past ten years i worked at my company. However, they run as soon as we see them. some people are concerned there's too many foxes where i'm at as well.

The only bold fox i've seen so far is the one that jumped infront of macdonalds to steal a thrown away newspaper. everyone was watching him since he paused while doing it and looked back at us.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Stealing a newspaper and interacting with humans? You sure it wasn't a human turned fox trying to get with the times?

Seriously though, I wonder why it stole garbage. Did it think there was a burger wrapped in the paper or something?
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

With this type of society, anything can be wrapped inside of paper.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe it just wanted to keep up with current events.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I've heard of a news hound...but a news fox? :o