The FaceRig Discussion Thread!

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Douglas Collier

The FaceRig Discussion Thread!

Post by Douglas Collier »

So, there is a really cool program on Steam called FaceRig. For those of you who haven't heard of it, FaceRig is a program that uses your webcam to take your expressions and movements and put them on a virtual avatar. The FaceRig home page can be found here. As of this post, FaceRig is in its Beta phase, so there are still some bugs that need to be worked out, but it's still works pretty good. It can be downloaded on Steam, and there's a promotional price until December 1, 2014 (for you people in the future, this promotion will probably have expired and show just how dated this post is. :P )

Anyway, this thread is to discuss your expectations and experience with the program, post screenshots/video links, ask and answer questions (the program's new, so there probably won't be much help troubleshooting until later in the thread), and suggest ideas for addons.

So, without further ado, here is my customization of Moon Moon - it is my old werewolf avatar, Dogboy.
Dogboy Wolf Screenshot.gif
Dogboy Wolf Screenshot.gif (241.3 KiB) Viewed 7925 times
(I'd recommend posting GIF files - apparently other files take too much space; or you could link your pictures.)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: The FaceRig Discussion Thread!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I have this and I was very impressed. It does work well. I haven't done any customisation yet though.
They even included coding to delay the sound slightly so your voice even matches up with the movements of the avatar. It's such fun to use. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Douglas Collier

Hlaoroo wrote:I haven't done any customisation yet though.
You're going to though, right? I could totally see Fluffo being customized to resemble Furrhan. :mrgreen:
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Stan Collier

Post by Stan Collier »

I might get that...
I like shorts. Shorts are comfy. Do you like shorts?

http://jmillart.deviantart.com/
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Eh, its tricky because of the head shape. I'll have to play around.
I think the fox (I forget her name) works better. You just have to drop her down to hide her chest.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Douglas Collier

And it'd make it more realistic, considering Furrhan's less than 2 feet tall. ;)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

xD That too!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Deske

Post by Deske »

I have the program. I just don't have a webcam for my main computer to use it. Even still, when I get one, I'll already have the program. I thought about kickstarting it but lacked the funds at the time.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

It's a pretty fun gimmick...as a consumer, that's all I can say about it. I mean, even when you're Skype chatting with mates, it's more or less only a 1-time thing.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

I'm going to get this when I have the chance...
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

I was able to support it in campaign a while back. It's quite fun to play with though I wish it was easier to customize it. But it's still in beta, I bet they'll release more in time. :D
Syk attempt:
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That actually came out very nice! It looks really good there!
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

I kicked in I dunno, $50? for the Facerig kick starter, but haven't yet downloaded the software. I don't know anything about steam or how it operates, and haven't had much time to figure it out. I thought it held great potential, and hope I can try it out sometime in the next few months.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Douglas Collier

Amazee Dayzee wrote:That actually came out very nice! It looks really good there!
*Agrees enthusiastically* :)
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:That actually came out very nice! It looks really good there!
Douglas Collier wrote:
*Agrees enthusiastically* :)
Thanks!

I guess currently the main limitation for facerig is the current limited number of models and props. But given that they allow user made models and props and will be releasing at least a couple of more model packs, together with the customizeability of these skins, the potential is limitless- Hlaoroo can finally make his quoll avatar with a male fox instead of a female one. :lol:
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo