Starting Dungeons and Dragon

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Civilization

Starting Dungeons and Dragon

Post by Civilization »

Ok, since the idea for starting a D&D thing is getting bigger, here's a thread for it.

First, let's take things slow. I want to know how many people are interested in playing.
1. If you already know how to play, let us know, and tell us what edition you know/use.
Then say if you are willing to teach others if they do not know how to play.
2. If you are interested but do not know how to play, still let us know.

This is just to see how many people want to play for now, once we figure that out we can move on to what edition will us and how to sort out how to play and rules, etc.

Of course I know how to play, but I use the 3.5 edition. And of course I will be willing to teach people how to play.
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
The Blue Fox

Re: Starting Dungeons and Dragon

Post by The Blue Fox »

As I mentioned in the chat thread, I've been kinda meaning to have a go at D+D but don't know of anyone who plays it and definitely don't really know how to play it myself.

I know dice are used to determine the chance of something. And I know you gotta use your imagination quite a bit. I also know game boards are used, but I'm not sure what a typical D+D game board looks like or whether you move player peices over spaces like in most other board games like Monopoly and the like.

That's about the extent of my knowledge.
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Ooh, I think I'll be interested in learning how to play. But iunno about actually playing...yanno busy schedules and timezones and stuff.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

I knew somewhat a while ago, but I've since forgot. I wouldn't mind re-learning, tho.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I never really could figure out how DnD works. :(
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Well, if you want to learn how to play you can go here. Beware though, it's a face full of information. If you do read it just stick to the Core rules section, and if that is too much I'll try to simplify it (3.5 is the hardest of them). And, if you guys have any ideas on how to go about this, please tell me. (Just viewed a few dead D&D ideas from the past, that was a little down heartening.)
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I'll have a look through that when i have a bit of time to kill.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Are we using 3.5e or 5e. 5e is the easiest, 3.5e is one of the more in depth ones. Depending on which ones we use, I can provide excel character sheets to make the creation process easier.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

That would be very helpful, I would say do it for either one, if you feel like doing it.
Deske

Post by Deske »

I think I still have the pdfs for 3.5 and 5 that my DM's gave me. So if anybody needs one for either of them, I'll shoot a .zip. I've got a couple of campaigns for 5e that came with the pdfs for it.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Deske wrote:I can provide excel character sheets to make the creation process easier.
Excel as in Microsoft Excel or Excel as an abbreviation of Excellent?

Either way you could probably quite easily copy the raw text into a forum post so we have a character sheet template we can use for a D+D RP
Deske

Post by Deske »

Microsoft Excel, and no I'm not allowed to. The 3.5e one doesn't copy because it's got special macros and stuff that make it easy to fill in and the 5e one doesn't copy because it's protected with a password that I do not know. I thought this was going to be like a roll20.net thing, I don't know how a dice based RPG is going to work on a forum.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

There are websites that actually let you roll a DnD dice online.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Maybe I'm being a bit too untrusting. See, that 4 you rolled for initiative could easily become a 14 with an added 1. But this site seems better. I've got one of those sites too :P Maintained by Wizards of the Coast.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You'll need a neutral part to be the dice roller then.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

There are random number generators on the web. Figured we could those for dice.

It can be way too easy to just say you got a good number when you didn't, but a good way to get around that is the fact that all the D+D games I've seen on cartoons and whatnot have a dungeon master who doesn't have a character in active play but more tells you what the situation is and rolls the dice for chance. I'm thinking, instead of players with active characters in the game rolling for stuff like intitiative, we could have the dungeon master rolling the dice all the time and telling you what you got, that way there's no cheating.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

That would probably be the best way to go for the dice rolling situation. Or if everyone wants to get their own numbers using dice/random number generators etc. It would be harder but the DM could create multiple sheets for which each number could lead to a different outcome depending on what sheet they are using. That way someone is not cheating by just saying they got high numbers all the time.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

So it's like a high number isn't always a good number? That could be good, yeah. Maybe a combination of the two. That could really make things interesting.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I would be interested in this, I will read through that when I have time. I do not know how to play, everything I know about the game comes from this comic and forum. :P
Deske

Post by Deske »

The Blue Fox wrote:So it's like a high number isn't always a good number? That could be good, yeah. Maybe a combination of the two. That could really make things interesting.
In the 5e campaign my friend just set up, rolling under a 10 keeps you from getting any encounters for that extent of the journey. Anything above 10 is a guaranteed encounter. My luck usually rolls with under 10. But this campaign seems intent on making me roll Nat20's for days.

Finished a round of DND.
That D&D round was painful. Our paladin rushed in to an obvious trap which all of us, save him, spotted. We took out the guys on the outside, he rushed inside first while we were still fighting, He proceeds to get ambushed by 5 enemies, knocked unconscious. The other two of us run inside to save him, I'm outside killing off the last of the people. Everyone inside proceeds to go unconscious to the enemies. Our cleric almost fails all of his life saves and almost dies. Finally the city gaurd shows up and helps me murder everyone else inside.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

So I guess this ended? Oh well. I met a couple of players at my new job, so my needs will be met.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Yeah, it was worth a try, good for you GK... I'm still playing by myself. If anyone is still interested PM me, it won't be big but if your as die hard as me over stuff it's something.