Favorite MOVIES (?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Re: Favorite MOVIES (?)

Post by Seth »

Went and saw the purge last night. It was pretty good
Kinda predictable but it was a good enough story that I could overlook the shortcomings and enjoy it. The guy who played the main villain was awesome. Like christian bale in American psycho good. And the violence threaded the line between stylized
and visceral wonderfully. Not a classic by any means but I don't regret seeing it either.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Balto the best

Post by Balto the best »

Seth wrote:Went and saw the purge last night. It was pretty good
Kinda predictable but it was a good enough story that I could overlook the shortcomings and enjoy it. The guy who played the main villain was awesome. Like christian bale in American psycho good. And the violence threaded the line between stylized
and visceral wonderfully. Not a classic by any means but I don't regret seeing it either.
I had a felling it would be a good watch after watching the rock. anyone remember the rock?
I'd hate to disappoint, but...
What can I say?
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Punchy wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:After you finish with the Universal films you must continue on with the Hammer films. Peter Cushing makes a great Dr. Frankenstein!
Will do, I haven't seen enough Hammer films and need to find more.
Penwrite wrote:Oh wait, have you seen Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein? That's the first film to introduce vampires fighting werewolves.
No, but I've seen Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff and Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
If you like different variation of Frankenstein, you might also want to check out some of the more outrageous versions of that classic novel. Like, "Lady Frankenstein", "Flesh For Frankenstein" (aka "Andy Warhol's Frankenstein") and "Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks". Two of those are public domain so you can watch them for free.

I saw a movie called "Bunraku" and it is the closes that I have seen to an anime turned into a live action film. I don't mean that it is an adaptation of an anime, they just did their best to imitate the style of an anime. Its a good martial arts film with a name cast.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

One of my favorite movies is: Austin Powers: Goldmember.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Balto the best

Post by Balto the best »

hypernovatic wrote:One of my favorite movies is: Austin Powers: Goldmember.
International man of mystery
What can I say?
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I know what I'm about to say isn't a popular or widespread sentiment anywhere at the moment, but I seriously love Man of Steel.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I actually really enjoyed Man of Steel myself. I didn't like the way Zod talked, but other than that, I enjoyed it.
SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

I have to say my favourite movie is The Grey. That film is depressing and unpleasant in a lot of ways but it just sucks you right in. I'd say it's Liam Neeson's best role. Definitely worth a watch. I just wish they hadn't marketed it as an action movie when it's really about survival, religion, life philosophies and basically life in general.
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Still "Real Genius".

I suspect Jordan Cochran was secretly a pine marten.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

SkyeCaptain wrote:I have to say my favourite movie is The Grey. That film is depressing and unpleasant in a lot of ways but it just sucks you right in. I'd say it's Liam Neeson's best role. Definitely worth a watch. I just wish they hadn't marketed it as an ation movie when it's really about survival, religion, life philosophies and basically life in general.
That movie doesn't get enough credit for how hauntingly beautiful it was and how well it tackled big philosophical issues. The ending still gives me chills.

I watched white zombie last night. It definitely ages well. I can see why rob zombie named his band after it.
Last edited by Seth on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Ahhhh so many films I like, yet I just cannot form opinions! Being impartial has difficulties, but one zombie film I liked was Shaun of the dead. That film was genius. :lol:
Anyone seen Dead Snow (it's only in German as far as I know but I found subs)
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Radio Blue Heart

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Ahhhh so many films I like, yet I just cannot form opinions! Being impartial has difficulties, but one zombie film I liked was Shaun of the dead. That film was genius. :lol:
Anyone seen Dead Snow (it's only in German as far as I know but I found subs)
I loved "Dead Snow" so much I bought a copy! It is genius!

Relevant to this, I just ordered two Troma movies by mail. "Father's Day" and "Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead". Both are highly inappropriate and funny! I think that "Poultrygeist" is the only zombie music ever committed to film.

I you like "Shaun of the Dead", you should see "Return of the Living Dead", "Re-Animator" and "Cockneys Vs Zombies". All three are excellent zombie horror/comedies.

I would probably write a whole list of my favorite films from the zombie sub-genre, but that would take up half a page!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

SkyeCaptain wrote:I have to say my favourite movie is The Grey. That film is depressing and unpleasant in a lot of ways but it just sucks you right in. I'd say it's Liam Neeson's best role. Definitely worth a watch. I just wish they hadn't marketed it as an action movie when it's really about survival, religion, life philosophies and basically life in general.
*hugs* That movie is fantastic. I put it near the top of my best movies of 2012 list.

So anyways, everyone, today (June 20) is the 38th anniversary of Jaws.
SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

I've never seen Jaws. Is it actually good or is it one of those over-hyped classic films?
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

jaws is amazing. It definitely lives up to the hype.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

It lives up to the hype. See it if you ever get the chance. Though, avoid the sequels.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Penwrite wrote:Though, avoid the sequels.
Unfortunately the sequels are the only ones that I have seen.
Panda Panda Panda
Balto the best

Post by Balto the best »

Punchy wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Though, avoid the sequels.
Unfortunately the sequels are the only ones that I have seen.
Well jaws 2 isn't that bad, but the other two...
What can I say?
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I haven't seen any of them.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Balto the best

Post by Balto the best »

Mad Max fury road is set to be released next year. I hope it's good.
What can I say?
Radio Blue Heart

I just watched "Man of Steel" and I really liked it. It was very well made and entertaining. I loved what Christopher Nolan and David Goyer did with the script. Making Superman's existence a flawed one they gave more depth to the character who is almost always portrayed as perfect in every conceivable way. I think that it takes the character back to the original Siegel and Shuster stories where Superman is an outsider.

I will go as far as to say that it easily eclipses all past Superman film adaptations. This is what happens when people who have a great deal of understanding of the material make a film. The others, although Richard Donner was good director and Mario Puzo a great writer, I could not help but think that they just didn't put their best into it. They were picked on their credentials as Hollywood elites and not on their understanding of task they were given. Although I think that "Superman II" was by far a superior film and that the first was painfully necessary for set up.

Other than that, I loved the film and its themes of free will and destiny. Having villains that were his equal helped too. In the other films it was him trying to stop some sort of disaster caused by Lex Luthor. Being out numbered by a small force of beings like himself and their advanced technology made for more of a challenge. I have always maintained that a interesting antagonist makes for an even more interesting protagonist.

I saw a 2D showing but I am pretty sure that it would look spectacular in 3D.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Actually, I've seen it in both 2D and 3D, and there really wasn't much of a difference. I hardly noticed the 3D in fact.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I don't like 3D. Not because it looks funny or anything, just because you don't notice it at all. For me, it's paying extra money when the 2D movie looks the same.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

That is true, the 3D movie looks no better.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

3d could very well be the future of film. But for now its just a gimmick. Whether its a "2D" blockbuster with superfluous 3D like superman or the avengers or a movie that seeks to exploit the gimmick for now 3D is just a toy movie makers play with. But most innovations in cinema start that way. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future 3D film is just a standard part of the movie experience
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

I just know its an excuse to charge two extra dollars for a film!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Seth wrote:3d could very well be the future of film. But for now its just a gimmick. Whether its a "2D" blockbuster with superfluous 3D like superman or the avengers or a movie that seeks to exploit the gimmick for now 3D is just a toy movie makers play with. But most innovations in cinema start that way. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future 3D film is just a standard part of the movie experience
The earliest known 3D film shown to paying audiences was all the way back in 1922, while the technology for 3D film has been tested and experimented patented since the late 1890s. People have been trying literally since the beginning of film to make 3D a standard part of the movie experience, and they haven't yet. It's just not going to happen.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Penwrite wrote:
Seth wrote:3d could very well be the future of film. But for now its just a gimmick. Whether its a "2D" blockbuster with superfluous 3D like superman or the avengers or a movie that seeks to exploit the gimmick for now 3D is just a toy movie makers play with. But most innovations in cinema start that way. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future 3D film is just a standard part of the movie experience
The earliest known 3D film shown to paying audiences was all the way back in 1922, while the technology for 3D film has been tested and experimented patented since the late 1890s. People have been trying literally since the beginning of film to make 3D a standard part of the movie experience, and they haven't yet. It's just not going to happen.
I wouldn't be so sure. It could just be a matter of tech catching up to imagination.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Liam

Post by Liam »

Guys, Man of Steel is the best movie of the year! Maybe the decade! (Even the coming years of the decade!)

Only a Genius with a capital G like Zack Snyder could reinvent, nay, perfect Superman like this.

No more of that boring truth, justice and the American Way stuff, at last we get to see him kocking over high-rises!

And smashing his elderly mother's house with a truck!

And him ditching that antiquated boy scout attitude by finally doing the truly heroic thing, snapping his opponent's neck in murderous rage!

Spoilers!

It's about time the new generation gets their own improved Superman, and Snyder just friggin nailed it! The movie has everything what makes cinema great: splosions!

Loud noises!

Punching!

Gigantic Space Lasers leveling and pulverizing entire cities and throwing the rubble and corpses into the air again and again and again!

Nothing says "Superman" than million of people dying!

Just AAAAAAAWWWWWEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost as awesome as Transformers 2, in fact.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Firstly, 3D exists mainly since it's harder to pirate 3D movies, it sells to a larger audience and can cost more, and because it can be used to make things more entertaining (the 3rd only happens in very rare cases...and I've never experienced them, but I trust some of my fav' directors). So yeah...I'm fine with 3D.

And yeah, Liam, Man of Steel definitely was a Nolan film. A lot darker than you'd expect the boy scout to be. =p
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I love Humphrey Bogart.
He's in so many great films, have yet to see one I didn't enjoy.
I just recently watched All Through the Night, it also starred Peter Lorre and Conrad Veidt (and a bunch of other familiar faces).
Panda Panda Panda
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I think the only thing I've ever seen him in is the Maltese Falcon. But he was amazing in that so I'll probably watch some more of his stuff at a later date. I'm not even really a film noir fan but that movie is just fantastic.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

My number 1 favorite movie is Wreck it Ralph.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Seth wrote:I think the only thing I've ever seen him in is the Maltese Falcon. But he was amazing in that so I'll probably watch some more of his stuff at a later date. I'm not even really a film noir fan but that movie is just fantastic.
I still haven't seen that one yet. Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Casablanca are some great films that he's in.
Panda Panda Panda
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So, latey I've been on a horror movie binge. Not so much the films themselves, but the commentaries by writers and directors. Learned some interesting stuff. Like how Sinister, one of my fave horror movies ever, only had a budget of 3 million dollars! :O
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:So, latey I've been on a horror movie binge. Not so much the films themselves, but the commentaries by writers and directors. Learned some interesting stuff. Like how Sinister, one of my fave horror movies ever, only had a budget of 3 million dollars! :O

That's cool. Ever watch "Evil Dead 2" with the commentary? It is highly entertaining!

Today I watched one of my all-time favorite horror films, "Lifeforce". It is awesome. Imagine giving the writer of "Alien", the director of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and the special effects artists of "Star Wars" $23m to make a movie!

They strayed from the novel that was the source material for it, but that was a good thing as I found the novel a little dull. Its one of the rare times that happened and it worked.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:So, latey I've been on a horror movie binge. Not so much the films themselves, but the commentaries by writers and directors. Learned some interesting stuff. Like how Sinister, one of my fave horror movies ever, only had a budget of 3 million dollars! :O

That's cool. Ever watch "Evil Dead 2" with the commentary? It is highly entertaining!

Today I watched one of my all-time favorite horror films, "Lifeforce". It is awesome. Imagine giving the writer of "Alien", the director of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and the special effects artists of "Star Wars" $23m to make a movie!

They strayed from the novel that was the source material for it, but that was a good thing as I found the novel a little dull. Its one of the rare times that happened and it worked.
I'll be sure to check both of those out!

So wow, I just remembered that the next Thor movie is coming out this year. Kinda got distracted by Man of Steel, lol.
Herseio

Post by Herseio »

My favorite movie? mmm "La gabbianella e il gatto" but maybe outside Italy is know as "Lucky and Zorba".

Is ironic that a Italian movie can be beautifull, maybe because today the Italian cinema is full of Z-series x-max comedy...

But I recommend this movie because in the end can let something inside... :mrgreen:
Radio Blue Heart

Herseio wrote:My favorite movie? mmm "La gabbianella e il gatto" but maybe outside Italy is know as "Lucky and Zorba".

Is ironic that a Italian movie can be beautifull, maybe because today the Italian cinema is full of Z-series x-max comedy...

But I recommend this movie because in the end can let something inside... :mrgreen:
I love Italian movies! Although, I tend to watch Italian horror films more than any other genre. Just last night I watched Lucio Fulci's film "Zombie", known as "Zombi 2" in Italy.

Here is the Italian poster..

I saw "Lucky and Zorba" on television. I thought it was a very well made film.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I saw The Lone Ranger with my father yesterday evening. Man, I don't know what the critics are talking about. Yeah it dragged a lot in the middle, but otherwise I thought this a fantastic film. The use of the old William Tell Overture was masterful, and the final action sequence was cinematic perfection.