Zootopia Discussion

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

GameCobra

Re: Zootopia is coming

Post by GameCobra »

IF I see someone in costume at theaters when I see this, i'll laugh my butt off. Cape Breton as far as I know doesn't dress in fur suits costumes except at sports events. :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

This movie looks really good and the trailer was DEFINITELY either directly focusing on or recognizing the fandom. Why else would they explain anthropomorphism? WOW that's a long word. It is hilarious how the internet is going bananas over this movie. Foxes are cool.
Hi Hi Pie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am just glad that it is bringing a lot of much-needed attention to the furry fandom.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

The fandom wasn't lacking attention so much as respect. We're kinda seen as a joke...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Or worse.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

We tend to be the punchline.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And unfortunately I also thought like that at one point in time. X_X
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think it'll bring a bit more non-negative attention at least.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Thankfully this attention is being brought by a Disney movie, they rarely go wrong and even if they do no damage will come from it.
Back on track, the movies animation looks sleek and very well done. It appears to be an action comedy movie which would be great and I have heard that the creators have done A LOT of research into all of the characters about their individual species so this should be exciting.
Hi Hi Pie
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Food for thought: Disney could make a cameo appearance with Rocket Raccoon.

Do it, Disney.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

GameCobra wrote:Food for thought: Disney could make a cameo appearance with Rocket Raccoon.

Do it, Disney.
OH YES PLEASE!!!
Deske

Post by Deske »

I don't see the direct connection to the fandom. It's a movie about anthropomorphic animals, not people being said animals. I mean, I can see the association, but the whole focusing on the fandom or linking to it in an obvious manor, I don't see it. Before people start going for my jugular, I'm asking for an explanation since practically everyone seems to hold the same general thought on it.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Deske wrote:It's a movie about anthropomorphic animals, not people being said animals.
For the most part, the furry fandom isn't about being anthropomorphic animals, it's about being fans of anthropomorphic art, movies, games, ect.

And let's face it, this movie heavily playing on one major draw being that fact it has adorable, walking, talking, anthro animals. The fact it's Disney animation alone is going to attract kids, so I see no reason Disney wouldn't try and shift some marketing towards the furry fandom as that's basically guaranteeing more ticket sales with minimal effort.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Deske

Post by Deske »

Can't lie, the higher ticket sales does make sense. I've never really been the biggest part of the fandom, mostly art and the people, but I never brought up the base of the fandom. Thanks Jeff.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

To be honest, I really don't expect this to sell a bunch of tickets. It doesn't really have a "thing" to draw viewers. Talking animals are old hat.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe they should hire somebody to first as the characters. That would be cool.
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Deske wrote:Can't lie, the higher ticket sales does make sense. I've never really been the biggest part of the fandom, mostly art and the people, but I never brought up the base of the fandom. Thanks Jeff.
The best example would be that if you where the CEO of Hasbro would you market My Little Pony to the originally intended audience of young girls who would have to ask there parents for merchandise. Or would you market it towards the Brony fandom as well? Because they are the fans with jobs and the money to spend (usually). I haven't watched the show but I have heard on multiple occasions hat it makes a LOT of references that would make very little sense to a younger audience, even one from an R rated movie apparently.

As I said previously the key clue in the zootopia trailer was use of the word anthropomorphic. Outside of the fandom that word is largely unknown.
Hi Hi Pie
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

To be fair, from the beginning MLP:FiM was designed for adults to like it. The idea was that parents wouldn't find watching it with their kids to be a chore.

And yes, that's not a well-known word. But that's why they define it!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I can't wait for this movie!

I found out recently they're using sloths as DMV workers which I find hilarious! *giggles*

They have a twitter account for Zootopia run by Disney too so you can follow that for updates!

I also love this:

Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Does make sense to have sloths work at the DMV. Especially with my experiences there. :mrgreen:
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Number9Dysonsphere wrote:Or would you market it towards the Brony fandom as well? Because they are the fans with jobs and the money to spend (usually). I haven't watched the show but I have heard on multiple occasions hat it makes a LOT of references that would make very little sense to a younger audience, even one from an R rated movie apparently.
Which is why that series has steadily gotten worse since the third season, in my eyes. Pandering to a fan-base more often than not creates false expectations and self-entitled fans, and stagnates a work by relying on fandom nods references and inside jokes. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between and almost never come from commercial film or television. Additionally it can, if there's a divide between older and newer fans, drive off those who were fans out of nostalgia for the original (IE: me.).

Thankfully this movie has no predecessor so it's mostly safe from the latter problem, but it's still vulnerable to the former.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Wait until it earns a sequel to start worrying about that. :P
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Just wait until it gets a TV series. This is certain to be TV series material once it hits the theaters :3

The new poster for it is amusing, too. That lamp post graffiti that says Feral makes me think Ferals will be street punks. X3

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Oh my gawsh, I love that poster so much... :o
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wanna marry that poster so much right now that it isn't even funny.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I love that poster. I can't wait for this to come out...

While I agree this would probably fit a TV show really well, I'm wary of TV show spinoffs of animated movies. They tend to not be very good. Plus they look and sound awkward since they don't have the budget for as good CGI or for the same voice actors.
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

they just had to put a just do it joke in there
Foxes unite!!!!!!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:I'm wary of TV show spinoffs of animated movies. They tend to not be very good.
Well, I know I've liked a few of the Disney ones: like Hercules, the Legend of Tarzan, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, Timon and Pumbaa, etc.

so they may be able to pull off a good adaptation if they wanted to.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

What an epic poster! :D Looking so much forward for this movie. ;)
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

I think once this movie comes out a lot of furries are gonna dress up and go to the opening night
Foxes unite!!!!!!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

snappyfox wrote:I think once this movie comes out a lot of furries are gonna dress up and go to the opening night
Are people in costumes allowed in theaters? :?
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

in Australia yes not sure about other country's when doctor who the 50th anniversary came out in theater people dressed up for that same with avengers as long a you do not do any thing wrong you can wear a costume as long as it is appropriate
Foxes unite!!!!!!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I can understand cosplaying, but fursuits tend to be sort of largish, so I think there'd be a difference.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can't see fursuits being allowed in a theater to tell you the honest truth.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

yeah, there's usually rules against wearing masks in public. you need to ask permission before going anywhere in a suit (unless it's a convention or something but then they'd say if they weren't allowed in their costume rules)

plus a big suit head would block other people's views. but I definitely predict seeing some ears and tails at the theaters.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

the fursuiter's would take the heads of when the movie starts also it has been done
Foxes unite!!!!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Plus furries tend to be a bit shy about going out in public. I'm not so sure.
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

Sleet wrote:Plus furries tend to be a bit shy about going out in public. I'm not so sure.
what do you mean because I have met many furries who go in public with there suit
Foxes unite!!!!!!
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

My little experience leads me to believe that in a vast majority of cases, its related to events happening at the time(conventions, meets etc.), and not so much a more casual thing. Of course, living in a large town, I never see anything of a sort. Wherever it be shyness, laws etc. I have only physically seen a fursuiter out in a public place who's reason for being there is not charity/awareness, convention/meet related, or can be easily traced back to such except in one single case. Not saying it won't happen, but definitely very unlikely.

Back on topic, this may be the first movie in a few years that I might actually see at a cinema when it releases.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

Therolyn wrote: this may be the first movie in a few years that I might actually see at a cinema when it releases.
what was the last movie you saw in cinema?
Foxes unite!!!!!!