Zootopia Discussion

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

GameCobra

Zootopia is coming

Post by GameCobra »

It would also depend on the actors whether they wanna revise the roles or not. Duck Tales and Aladdin were prime examples of that kind of strategy.

the way i see it, the zootopia TV series would be more focused on the city's expansion rather than a mystery, though i can't see them not leaving out the fun little mysteries of Zootopia. You could also say the TV series would be, comically enough, a truer furry version of the movie and get right into the nitty gritty of furry culture along with things. knowing Disney wanting to target their audience, it wouldn't surprise me if Zootopia: The TV series was basically a tv series primed at the furry demographic and having fun with it.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Zootopia is coming

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I think they'd be able to get Ginnifer Goodwin back, Disney already has her on the payroll as a lead in Once Upon a Time.

I don't know about Jason Bateman, but He has done TV before, most recently in 2014 as a narrator (so just a voice) in Growing Up Fischer. but a narrator job probably takes up much less time than a main role in an animated series. and he's still doing movies, He may not want to come back. But really all they'd need is someone who can do a good impersonation of him, and Disney pretty much would have their pick of great voice actors for that.

The problem of quality would be a bigger problem than the actors. But Zootopia may be successful enough that Disney would consider putting more money into it for at least one season.

Personally I think they should try. If it flops, they probably won't, in one season, lose as much as the movie has gained :P they could throw it on Disney XD and target teens and kids. They have a good history with original shows there, so hopefullty they'd be able to get a good show-runner to pick the crew behind it.

heck, I'd even be okay if they switched to 2D animation if that would save them some money to put into the writing.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

It'd be awesome if they used that computer assisted 2D animation they used for Paper Man.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Something I've always wondered about, is whether in Japan the movie is renamed "Zyutopia". Zyu is the Japanese word for beast so it gets the same point across, and it's pronounced very close to Zoo. It would be a crime if they didn't.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

nah, they call their zoos zoos, so they'd have no reason to change it.
also I just listened to the official Japanese trailer, it said Zootopia.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Well what a shame then.
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

Here's a nitpick I had in the back of my mind- Bogo gave Judy 48 hours or 2 days, but it seemed like the second day went by unnoticed. On the first day she recruited Nick, they went to the Mystic Spring Oasis and the DMV, then it was nighttime. Then I guess either that same night or the next day was the wedding of Mr. Big's daughter, and after that they went to the Rainforest District, and by then it seems dark out; I guess it's just weird to me that we don't see much daylight on the second day.
Last edited by Hlaoroo on Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please put plot details into spoiler tags to avoid spoiling the movie for those yet to see it.
JonnyNova

Post by JonnyNova »

I haven't read through this thread much so I apologize if I'm echoing what other people have said a bit.

I just got back from seeing Zootopia. I had high hopes for this movie, and it managed to hit every. Single. One. I love it. It has a brilliantly crafted world with great characters, a very good plot to tie it together. And the themes are veeery well executed. The whole thing was beautifully animated, and my favourite thing was the small details that really made the world feel real. Like the different sized doors and vehicles for different animals, the way that Judy's headphones were designed differently for her smaller body, the fact that you could see where Nick's wiskers would have been trimmed back. These are all sort of insignificant in the grand scheme of the movie, but it really shows you the amount of care that was put into creating the world of Zootopia

I have never felt more proud to be a furry, because this is what we're capable of. Even if the none of the creators of Zootopia identify as furries (idk if any of them do or not), the concept is very much the same as what this community is based on: acceptance, beauty, and anthropomorphic animals.
*purrs loudly*

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Sansash wrote:Here's a nitpick I had in the back of my mind- Bogo gave Judy 48 hours or 2 days, but it seemed like the second day went by unnoticed. On the first day she recruited Nick, they went to the Mystic Spring Oasis and the DMV, then it was nighttime. Then I guess either that same night or the next day was the wedding of Mr. Big's daughter, and after that they went to the Rainforest District, and by then it seems dark out; I guess it's just weird to me that we don't see much daylight on the second day.
Actually, everything you said there happened on the first day. On the second day she drove to Bunny Burrows and back which is 211 miles away from Zootopia as she said in the play at the start of the movie. So that's a full day's driving which wouldn't have made for very interesting viewing, hence why it wasn't shown. Also bear in mind that the 48 hours didn't start until late in the day. The chase with Duke Weaselton happened in the afternoon. So a lot of the events were at night anyway.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Seth Shepherd

Post by Seth Shepherd »

***These aren't really spoilers, but it does talk about the message the movie sends***

Y'all, I saw it last night and I was blown away. Judy Hopps is my flippin' role-model!! I relate to her so much. At the risk of sounding like I'm on my soap-box, my dream is to earn my Ph.D. in math and be a college professor, but I'm dyslexic. In a manner of speaking, this is somewhat similar to what Judy is going through. Even though I'm 21, I have no shame in looking up to a figure like Judy. Her character was really inspiring to me.

This is my favorite message from the movie; that anyone can be whatever they want to be, but the world is not just going to give it to you. Judy had a dream and the only way she could achieve that dream is to never stop trying. I don't think a lot of people realize that this is often the reality of having a dream in this day and age. The path to success does hold a lot of failures, but these failures don't imply that you're not going to make it. The only one truly stopping you is you. I absolutely love this message!!

Also, on a side note, I heard people in the theater laughing at the kid at the beginning of the movie who said he wanted to be an actuary. But seriously, actuaries make A LOT OF MONEY!!! That kid was on point.
ImageImage
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

JonnyNova wrote:I have never felt more proud to be a furry, because this is what we're capable of. Even if the none of the creators of Zootopia identify as furries (idk if any of them do or not), the concept is very much the same as what this community is based on: acceptance, beauty, and anthropomorphic animals.
This, many times this, sooo much this, thank you for saying this. I love being a furry.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Hlaoroo wrote:On the second day she drove to Bunny Burrows and back which is 211 miles away from Zootopia as she said in the play at the start of the movie. So that's a full day's driving which wouldn't have made for very interesting viewing, hence why it wasn't shown.
actually all that happened after the second day, after they thought they'd already solved the case, Judy resigned because of what had happened in the days following, went to Bunnyburrow for a while until she made the night howlers discovery.
I believe It was still day when they questioned the driver, just dark cause it was the rainforest district. I think Nick said they still had 10 hours to solve the case so the first day to that point had lasted 38 hours. they had the idea about the cameras, went to the mayor's office, saw the wolves and followed them on the cameras to where the missing animals were, found them then got the mayor arrested and 'solved the case'

no one look under the spoilers cause I just recapped about the first half of the movie :P
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

One of us! One of us!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So, I decided to look more into the original concepts for Zootopia due to Rick's comics (great job, by the way), and I'm really curious as to how it would have been. I believe that a reason the directors abandoned the original idea was that was less relevant of a message and made the world and characters they made too unlikable. But it's always the "what-ifs" that get people pondering, isn't it?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Also this, in the topic of that comic. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Just learned on TvTropes that Toshiyuki Morikawa is playing Japanese Nick Wilde. I don't know him much, but when i saw his filmography? wow.

Judy gets played by Aya Ueto.

Amusingly, according to Tvtropes, the other cast members such as Bogo and Lionheart are being played by some other actors that are known for being loud. X3

I can't wait to hear this in Japanese someday to see how the acting translates.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

GameCobra wrote:Just learned on TvTropes that Toshiyuki Morikawa is playing Japanese Nick Wilde. I don't know him much, but when i saw his filmography? wow.
Ryu, Dante, and Sephiroth voicing Nick. I'm sold.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Going to get some time to see it again this weekend. I want to see the climax of the movie again since it was SO good.
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Just saw the movie today. It was good. I always enjoy being pleasantly surprised when a movie I'm unsure about turns out to be good (although I've been less unsure about Zootopia for the last week thanks to all the positive buzz. But before it w released I was very unsure.)
My RP Characters and their Voice Claims

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So, another Disney Infinity find, I unlocked the concept art for Nick and Judy, and found some interesting details. Judy is shown with a taser and a slightly different hairstyle, and Nick is shown with his "tame collar." What's interesting is that Judy is in the same pose as the final figure, so I can't help but think that the characters were being worked on as the movie was being made. If I could find the image online, I'd post it.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm almost tempted to get disney Infinity just for Judy and Nick. seen the previews and loved the extra stuff in it.

Japan seems to have really loved the Sloth trailer i noticed on Facebook.

On a funny topic, I pondered the possibility of this series being an anime. However, after the horrible trouble Disney had with Stitch, I doubt Disney would ever do that again, but if Japan ever went nuts for this like they did with Stitch, I wonder how far they would want Disney to try it again? it has everything i believe that Japan would love to see it adapted into an anime for children.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

WeirdGamer wrote:Just saw the movie today. It was good. I always enjoy being pleasantly surprised when a movie I'm unsure about turns out to be good (although I've been less unsure about Zootopia for the last week thanks to all the positive buzz. But before it w released I was very unsure.)
I mean it's Disney, so it can't have been that bad. I was prepared to like it even if I was bad, but as soon as the reviews came in I was extra excited.

I'm going to go with my mate to see it again this weekend if it's still out!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Anyone else wonder what species other fictional characters would be if they were in the world of Zootopia? I'd imagine that Bruce Banner would be a pig, and when he turns into the Hulk he'd be more like a bore.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Isn't a boar just a male pig?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I think he meant a wild boar, that pigs were domesticated from.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Yeah, I mean't the kind that has those tusks.
I'm also trying to figure what some of the characters from lesser known works would be. I think that Shadow Stalker from Worm would probably be a black panther (she's obsessed with a "you're either weak or strong/predator or prey" mentality, she relies primarily on stealth, she's black, etc).
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

So it's been confirmed that Nick's mom is alive and well and she doesn't share the parent death thing Disney loves doing.

and she wants a grandchild. Gee, I wonder why he keeps Finnick around?
Hehehehe. :3

On another note: China extended Zootopia in their theaters for 2 more weeks due to it's popularity. Sweet. :D
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Just saw this and had to share! For those that don't read "Faux Pas", Uncle Randy is a red fox. :P

Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

GameCobra wrote:So it's been confirmed that Nick's mom is alive and well and she doesn't share the parent death thing Disney loves doing.
ah, but is his dad dead? does he fulfill the dead parent requirement?... or would deadbeat suffice?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
GameCobra wrote:So it's been confirmed that Nick's mom is alive and well and she doesn't share the parent death thing Disney loves doing.
ah, but is his dad dead? does he fulfill the dead parent requirement?... or would deadbeat suffice?
Hard to say. we'll have to find out!

And I found that amusing as well on Faux pas. :3

On another note: Rick finished the March Zootopia sketches here and here if anyone wants to check them out. Mine is Gazelle and Finnick :3
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

One thing I want to compliment on about the film is the animation style. Like Frozen, Zootopia's animation style feels very reminiscent to old school Disney. But while Frozen's style feels similar to Disney films from the 50's like Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, and Sleeping Beauty, Zootopia's style feels similar to Disney films from the 60's to the early 70's like 101 Dalmatians, The Jungle Book, and Robin Hood.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I haven't seen it yet! Are there hyenas? Please tell me there are hyenas!
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

I saw the film today and I loved it to bits. The whole theatre burst out laughing when Flash turned down the window after speeding. I almost cried when young Nick was muzzled and his hopes and dreams were destroyed.
Tucker wrote:I haven't seen it yet! Are there hyenas? Please tell me there are hyenas!
Sorry I don't think I saw any.
Hi Hi Pie
RokukeShiba

Imagining Zootopia Documentary

Post by RokukeShiba »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3pF9owYlRI

"Thousands of years ago, the world was a different place; a place where-" "Everybody was naked!"

I like that in the original script that Finnick, Nick, and Clawhauser are classmates. Finnick freaks out then got shocked, polar bear parent and cub, and nick and his dad.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hey, try not to double post, alright? There's an edit button for that! I went ahead and fixed it for you.

Is the original script posted anywhere? I've heard of it but I don't know what form it exists in really.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Hey, uh, shouldn't this thread be renamed to something like "Zootopia Discussion" or something? Cause it isn't coming anymore, it's already came.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Good call!
Douglas Collier

Re: Zootopia Discussion

Post by Douglas Collier »

But it still has yet to come out on DVD and Bluray. What do you think the bonus features are going to be? :D
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

The usual. Deleted scenes, directors commentary, each version of the newscast scene, stuff like that.

On a different note, has anyone found any good fanfics?

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Aside from Rick's? :P