Any Pro Wrestling Fans Around?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

WeirdGamer

Any Pro Wrestling Fans Around?

Post by WeirdGamer »

I just really got into pro wrestling this past year after knowing a little about it for the past several years before that. So I was wondering if there are any other Pro Wrestling fans about? Or am I alone here?
My RP Characters and their Voice Claims

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
Buster
Game Master

Re: Any Pro Wrestling Fans Around?

Post by Buster »

Briefly, because of being a fan of André Roussimoff thanks to a certain movie. But it didn't last more than a few months.
Haven't followed it in over a decade, sorry.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Used to be. My brother and I started with WWF. We loved the stories that would play out, and we loved seeing the action. We stayed long enough to see things that changed the direction they were originally going for, first and foremost being the death of Eddie Guerrero. It was a sobering moment, and we saw that the wrestlers involved also felt that. It allowed us to see the real side of them for once. We eventually stopped watching when it was changed to a bad time for us, making us lose interest in the stories that came about. Played a handful of the games, those were fun.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Invisan

Post by Invisan »

I was in that for almost a decade but i stopped with it around 2012 and havent watched much except from wrestlemania to see Taker Wrestling. He still is one of my idols but i felt screwed when the WWE decided to rip him of the Streak by letting Bork Lasor aka Brock Lesnar defeating him on the year before last years Mania.

Imho one of the biggest upsets and screw jobs in all of Sports Entertainment imho even bigger then the famous Montreal Screwjob involving Bret Hart.

For the time being i only watch PPVs where i know for sure Taker will show up and some Indy stuff. Like Ring of Honor, AAA or New Japan Pro Wrestling. Even though im not watching those regularly.

I still read my weekly dose of news though so im quite informed when it comes to WWE/TNA and stuff.

You can divide the Wrestling Fans currently into a few categories:

Fan Boys: Just watching it to root for their Hero. Mostly Kids or young ladies. (They think Storylines are real and the Wrestlers really hate each other most of the times)
Generel Fans: They like the sports itself and know a bit about it and root for the storylines. (They say Wrestling is fake and there are just storylines being played but cant differ)
Hardcore Fans: They love the sport and the Wrestlers but they give a *beep* about the storylines and Backstage politics and Infos. They just wanna see their Star succeed. (They know Wrestling is a Sport and injuries can happen.)
Smartmarks: They know the storylines are fake, like the sport and read the "dirt sheets" regular to get Background info. (Is this injury a Storyline or real?) (They know Wrestling is a sport but injuries can happen and they know most storylines are crap and try to cheer their champ of the Indies to the Big Leagues (mostly WWE) they also constantly brag about the bad Storylines and how the Companys/Writers buried this Wrestler or didnt push that one with lousy stories or dumb Matches.)

Some categories are quite mixed though. I for myself would refer to myself as Smartmark but when it comes to Taker i am a Hardcore Fan ^^ Ah yes btw

EC DUB EC DUB EC DUB!
My Fan-Fic Fox goes to Heaven (again)

Well i have a furaffinity acc now so i can upload my Fanart somewhere else then imgur ^^ Come in and find out.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I like wrestling! My friend introduced me to WWE almost exactly one year ago, so I'm pretty new to everything. I thought wrestling was pretty dumb most of my life so I really know almost nothing about the older stuff. But it just takes the right mindset (and the right friends) and it can be a lot of fun!

I watch Raw and NXT every week, as well as every pay-per-view. My friends and I went ballistic when Seth Rollins entered the championship match at Wrestlemania and won. I was even at Battleground this year (I'm even on TV three times, but I won't say when or what sign(s) I was holding :P) I'm really excited for how the women's division is starting to not suck again. I'm a big Charlotte fan!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I use to be a hardcore wrestling fan back then. Bret Hart, Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan and Macho Man deals. :3

Wrestling was my childhood up until the silliness of the RAW Drama. I loved RAW and the attitude era, but some things just got really weird.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Sleet wrote:I like wrestling! My friend introduced me to WWE almost exactly one year ago, so I'm pretty new to everything. I thought wrestling was pretty dumb most of my life so I really know almost nothing about the older stuff. But it just takes the right mindset (and the right friends) and it can be a lot of fun!

I watch Raw and NXT every week, as well as every pay-per-view. My friends and I went ballistic when Seth Rollins entered the championship match at Wrestlemania and won. I was even at Battleground this year (I'm even on TV three times, but I won't say when or what sign(s) I was holding :P) I'm really excited for how the women's division is starting to not suck again. I'm a big Charlotte fan!
This is basically the same for me. :D I've only been a fan for about a year too, but I haven't been to any live events (I was going to go to an indie show near me, but got sick the day of). I think my favorite part is learning about what goes into it and the history of it. I've read the excellent book "The Death of the WCW" twice. A lot of times behind the scenes stuff fascinates me, such as how movies are made. I'm just weird I guess. :lol:
GameCobra wrote:I use to be a hardcore wrestling fan back then. Bret Hart, Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan and Macho Man deals. :3

Wrestling was my childhood up until the silliness of the RAW Drama. I loved RAW and the attitude era, but some things just got really weird.
Yeah, Wrestling Fans treat the Attitude Era as if it was perfect, but I think people forget for every good thing there were a lot of bad and really weird things.

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
Invisan

Post by Invisan »

WeirdGamer wrote:
Sleet wrote:I like wrestling! My friend introduced me to WWE almost exactly one year ago, so I'm pretty new to everything. I thought wrestling was pretty dumb most of my life so I really know almost nothing about the older stuff. But it just takes the right mindset (and the right friends) and it can be a lot of fun!

This is basically the same for me. :D I've only been a fan for about a year too, but I haven't been to any live events (I was going to go to an indie show near me, but got sick the day of). I think my favorite part is learning about what goes into it and the history of it. I've read the excellent book "The Death of the WCW" twice. A lot of times behind the scenes stuff fascinates me, such as how movies are made. I'm just weird I guess. :lol:
GameCobra wrote:I use to be a hardcore wrestling fan back then. Bret Hart, Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan and Macho Man deals. :3

Yeah, Wrestling Fans treat the Attitude Era as if it was perfect, but I think people forget for every good thing there were a lot of bad and really weird things.

Well the Attitude Era was the best WWE had Story wise. Which was thanks to the Monday Night Wars. Invasion Storylines etc. Also there was less talking and more focus on the Matches back then.
Nowadays most storylines are really bad cause they dont have a real meaning or are dropped before they even start.

The Storyline i remember most was after the Attitude Era though. When Cena just started and there was a huge Story involving Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio fighting for Rey/Eddies son Dominic.

Even though i really love the Storyline which revolved around Stone Cold / McMahon too.

Well i have a furaffinity acc now so i can upload my Fanart somewhere else then imgur ^^ Come in and find out.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I look back at the Attitude Era (which I was not watching during) and it seemed pretty dumb. Like it tried way too hard to be edgy and inappropriate for children. But perhaps the reason it's so loved goes beyond just that?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

maybe the appeal was a case of "so bad it's good"?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The Attitude era was fun. Stone Cold, The Rock, Mankind, Generation X... it was all funny. even Vince McMahon.

It just ruined it for me when certain questionable content started to get involved. it started to go to disturbing levels. Something i'm sure really should not be in wrestling and overstretched it's boundaries of drama at that point.
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Sleet wrote:I look back at the Attitude Era (which I was not watching during) and it seemed pretty dumb. Like it tried way too hard to be edgy and inappropriate for children. But perhaps the reason it's so loved goes beyond just that?
To paraphrase Max Landis, a lot of wrestling stinks, but when it's good, it's great. I think that's what made the attitude era for people. they remember the best stuff like Austin vs. McMahon and The Rock's promos and forget the many, many terrible things that happened during it.

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Okay, I need a refresher course, what was the Attitude Era and what made it weird?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

It was awesome, honestly. Lots of good, fun trash talking on the mic. Wrestlers trolling other wrestlers on TV screens to make themselves look good.

What made it weird was the moments where it was get adult at times, and sometimes they even pushed that too hard to the point it made me just say "...What..."
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think we're on the verge of a pretty good place right now. Cena is good again, and he's joined in the upper card with people like Seth Rollins, Brock Lesnar, Kevin Owens, Cesaro, Neville... heck, when Randy Orton is the least exciting upper-carder, that's a very good sign. And the women's division just got reinvigorated by Charlotte, Becky Lynch and Sasha Banks, plus the Bellas are improving.

Plus the New Day is a thing and there can be no sadness in the world while that is true.
Invisan

Post by Invisan »

@Sleet

Cena good? >.< PUNK was good. BRYAN is good! Cena was NEVER good. Gonna leave this two images right here...
http://pre00.deviantart.net/df01/th/pre ... 3fc6yk.jpg

Brock Lesnar too is no Material for the Uppercard. His Mic Work is bleh and well he is just plain beef. Only muscles and no brain.

Rollins, Owens, Cesaro and Neville. Yes those are good. They have the technical Background to be good Wrestlers.

I agree on the Divas Division though. It was good that they freshened it up with Charlotte Becky and Co.
Though WWE needs to get them more time.

But well maybe this is just my sight of look at this from the Smartmark base.

@GC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwXl6r5Eu58

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

John Cena is a veteran with a lot of experience who has good fundamentals. He's also been diversifying a bit. More importantly, he's actually making other guys look good, which is important. He used to just drain the momentum of anybody he faces by plowing right through them, but now people can look strong because he's good at doing that.

Brock Lesnar belongs nowhere except the top. Who cares if he isn't some technical master? He's scary as heck and wrestles like a total monster. They need guys like that. He may not be great at talking but Paul Heyman sure is.

I'd like to see more Natalya. She was my favorite pre-revolution, post-AJ Lee's retirement diva, other than possibly Paige. She was doing great but now she kinda got pushed aside by the three-team thing. :/