Metal Gear Solid(c) series Fandom

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

The-J-Man

Metal Gear Solid(c) series Fandom

Post by The-J-Man »

As few of you may know or have figured out. I am a Hardcore member of the "M.G.S series- (a game/graphic novel by Kojima productions) -fandom."
With the recent release of "M.G.S 5 The phantom pain"; I wanted to know if there was anyone else in this fandom on this Forum and for any questions you guys might have about it, I or some other fan will try to answer
Attachments
Sneaking suit.jpeg
Sneaking suit.jpeg (149.75 KiB) Viewed 10193 times
D-Rock

Re: Metal Gear Solid(c) series Fandom

Post by D-Rock »

I got my first taste of the series on a Pizza Hut demo disc for the PS1. Didn't think much of it. Was able to borrow MGS 3, had a surprising amount of fun with it (eventually found the Subsistance version). Then a friend let me borrow Twin Snakes, and that pretty much solidified it with me. Played MGS 2 and 4 over time, loved it, and wow, such a complicated story. Original games were surprisingly good, too. And had a lot of fun with Rising. Haven't played any of the portables or new ones, as I don't have those systems.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

D-Rock wrote:I got my first taste of the series on a Pizza Hut demo disc for the PS1. Didn't think much of it. Was able to borrow MGS 3, had a surprising amount of fun with it (eventually found the Subsistance version). Then a friend let me borrow Twin Snakes, and that pretty much solidified it with me. Played MGS 2 and 4 over time, loved it, and wow, such a complicated story. Original games were surprisingly good, too. And had a lot of fun with Rising. Haven't played any of the portables or new ones, as I don't have those systems.
You can buy the HD versions/remakes of games "1-3" and "Peace walker" on PS store to play on your PS3.
I got peace walker HD... and it was SOOOOO worth the 20 dollars
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I really liked the first game. I didn't actually play it but I watched it all the way through. I saw some of V and it looks really cool! It's a neat series with some neat mythos, I have to say. But heck if all the stuff I missed doesn't confuse me.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I think I've heard that people are STILL trying to explain MGS2. Yeah, that was an odd one. And while I was interested in Raiden (a lot of complaints I've heard are about him, though) too much just doesn't make sense! The ending is just one giant mind screw!
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

D-Rock wrote:I think I've heard that people are STILL trying to explain MGS2. Yeah, that was an odd one. And while I was interested in Raiden (a lot of complaints I've heard are about him, though) too much just doesn't make sense! The ending is just one giant mind screw!
I remember playing through it as a teenager and thinking it some philosophical masterpiece. But after playing through the rest of the series, it's just... best not to think too hard about anything, or take it too seriously.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I wouldn't doubt it was intended as such, such as the whole "trained by games" thing that was big at the time. But the use of the dog tags that Raiden gets rid of at the end could have been better implemented, especially as they don't seem to appear on his model until the VERY end!
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

D-Rock wrote:I wouldn't doubt it was intended as such, such as the whole "trained by games" thing that was big at the time. But the use of the dog tags that Raiden gets rid of at the end could have been better implemented, especially as they don't seem to appear on his model until the VERY end!
Yes. I'm so glad you noticed that too! I always thought there was a deeper meaning to the tags appearance at the end, but everyone kept dismissing it as an error.
I could also explain the ending in detail...but i'd probably hit the 60000 word limit and give you all a migrane...
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I would imagine the gist of the dog tags being the fact that Raiden is finally taking control of his life himself, instead of someone else dictating it, i.e., the player, as it bore your name (assuming you didn't screw around with that). A big thing about Raiden is taking control of his destiny, away from overseers, his past, and the Patriots.

By the way, if you've read/seen the HiImDaisy comics about MGS2, it points out so many of the things wrong with it. Even Raiden gave up trying to understand everything! :lol:
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

D-Rock wrote:I would imagine the gist of the dog tags being the fact that Raiden is finally taking control of his life himself, instead of someone else dictating it, i.e., the player, as it bore your name (assuming you didn't screw around with that). A big thing about Raiden is taking control of his destiny, away from overseers, his past, and the Patriots.

By the way, if you've read/seen the HiImDaisy comics about MGS2, it points out so many of the things wrong with it. Even Raiden gave up trying to understand everything! :lol:
Yeah. The only way to truly understand it is to play/watch the walkthrough of MGS PeaceWalker, which is where the Patriots are "first" referenced in the game series timeline.
Like I said, the HD version is available for about 20 USD on the play station store for PS3 gameplay
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

D-Rock wrote:By the way, if you've read/seen the HiImDaisy comics about MGS2, it points out so many of the things wrong with it. Even Raiden gave up trying to understand everything! :lol:
what comics?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Buster wrote:
D-Rock wrote:By the way, if you've read/seen the HiImDaisy comics about MGS2, it points out so many of the things wrong with it. Even Raiden gave up trying to understand everything! :lol:
what comics?
These guys have several of hiimdaisy's comics with voice-acting attached. This one is MGS2 in particular - there's one for every MGS (up to Peace Walker? I think?) through Portable Ops before hiimdaisy stopped making the comics. As for just the comics themselves, just... search for it on google. The 'originals' were taken down by the author, but there are like 5 billion back-ups all over the internet.

Like these ones here.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Yeah, those dubs are definitely worth ones time.

Anyway, about MGS3, quite a lot was left vague. I think I heard that Kojima did that because he kept hearing that MGS2 had WAY too much exposition (which I won't deny, I think I still spent two minutes loading while skipping a set of cutscenes). The Cobra unit had barely any backstory, Volgin was pretty much out of the blue throughout the entire thing, heck, there's not much mention of Naked Snake's past, either, just that he was a Green Beret that trained under The Boss.

Speaking of which, the final battle with her was pretty saddening, anyone else agree?
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

D-Rock wrote:Yeah, those dubs are definitely worth ones time.

Anyway, about MGS3, quite a lot was left vague. I think I heard that Kojima did that because he kept hearing that MGS2 had WAY too much exposition (which I won't deny, I think I still spent two minutes loading while skipping a set of cutscenes). The Cobra unit had barely any backstory, Volgin was pretty much out of the blue throughout the entire thing, heck, there's not much mention of Naked Snake's past, either, just that he was a Green Beret that trained under The Boss.

Speaking of which, the final battle with her was pretty saddening, anyone else agree?
Okay. There is one rule of MGS:
Never skip cutscenes.
Also you can find plenty of backstory on the wiki
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

When it's your fourth play-through (yes, fourth), I think one has the option to skip cutscenes.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Nope, still gotta watch em. Especially on that many plays. cause you gotta watch for all the stuff you missed last time.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Welp, too late for that now, don't have the game, anymore. I tend to try different methods each playthrough. First is be as stealthy as possible, second is finding alternate routes and secret drops, third is infiltration, Rambo-style. Fourth is usually speed. I had a lot of fun just exploring in MGS3 and 4.
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

D-Rock wrote:Welp, too late for that now, don't have the game, anymore. I tend to try different methods each playthrough. First is be as stealthy as possible, second is finding alternate routes and secret drops, third is infiltration, Rambo-style. Fourth is usually speed. I had a lot of fun just exploring in MGS3 and 4.
You forgot the fifth:
EASTER EGG IMAGE HUNTING!
Deske

Post by Deske »

Just thought I'd throw in my .02.Binged MGSV:TPP hard. Chapter 1 finished in a few days. Worth. I need to play the restm I have the first on my PS3.
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

Deske wrote:Just thought I'd throw in my .02.Binged MGSV:TPP hard. Chapter 1 finished in a few days. Worth. I need to play the restm I have the first on my PS3.
It's really award switching through different gameplay types. Just play them in order and you'll be fine and dandy...