Undertale

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Buster
Game Master

Re: Undertale

Post by Buster »

No you don't. you can just fill your inventory with burgers and steak
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

For Mettaton or to make the Temmie Armor effective?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Has anyone else heard some of the fan-made Dr. Gaster battle themes? Or the themes for a hypothetical Genocide final boss Papyrus battle?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Buster wrote:No you don't. you can just fill your inventory with burgers and steak
Equipping unique armors during the battle raise the ratings 1500 a pop. And that inxludes the armor you wear going into the battle. Far faster than food.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I have discovered what may be the weirdest remix of an Undertale song, EVER.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Plr9jv8n9eU
Spoilers for the neutral run.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

ASGORE's my favourite soundtrack! Though that was...slightly...disturbing.

Found another impressive cover :)
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

What the heck the internet.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

deepskycyan wrote:ASGORE's my favourite soundtrack! Though that was...slightly...disturbing.

Found another impressive cover :)
Is it, now? Enjoy a choral/a capella version of it, complete with a short (but spot-on!) voice clip for Asgore himself. Recommend headphones though, it gets really soft at some points.

Have a nice melancholic version of Waterfall from the same person, while we're at it.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

ASGORE is one of my favorites too, alongside Your Best Nightmare and Megalovania.

deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

We can post fan art here, right?
Because it's hard to believe that these haven't been posted yet.

Hmm I can't quite remember the name of the artist but I think we can all agree that he's got a skeleton of talent!

ImageImage
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well the last one's artist is pretty obvious! *giggles*
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

I dunno, it seems pretty familiar. Maybe the guy does a comic I've seen somewhere before? :P

I do wonder who the gunblade-wielding character opposite Doggo is in pic 2, though
RP chars:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

that's the main character from Solatorobo. he always has a bone in his mouth like Doggo has his dog treats. except he doesn't smoke them.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Wow, finished pacifist route... Things just got weird... Not sure how I feel about this... :shock:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

did you get the true pacifist ending or the neutral ending you get before the true pacifist ending?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Apparently whatever the first run-through is, cause I'm going back now? That may tell you enough :lol:
Asgore took me a few tries, but he is so awesome! :D
That next part, though... whooooohooohooooo....
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Correct me if I'm wrong, everyone else, but I believe that was one of the Neutral runs. You have to do a bit more to unlock the True Pacifist run. I almost missed it, myself, if I hadn't decided to do some backtracking to see if anything was different.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

If you fought Asgore and Omega Flowey after him that's the 'neutral' ending, which you have to go through first for the "true" pacifist ending.

Backtrack a little and you'll eventually get to go through the "True Lab", which means you've gotten everything you need for the ending. I think you'll enjoy going through there - just make you poke your head around everything to get as much detail as you can!

And well, the true final boss fight is... well, words can't describe it near as well as the game does. So keep playing. :P

Make sure you go back to the start once you've beaten the boss!
RP chars:
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

:( :) I cried at the end. That was such a beautiful game!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The real end?

Yeah, I cried during the final battle too. So did my mate. Made me feel less silly to hear they did too!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Before I go through with it, how do I know if killed all of the encounters in an area? Would hate to put in all of that work only to find out that I didn't get that ending because I missed a frog or something.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Do I have to do a run where I kill everyone? :( I'd be so sad :cry:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

No, you don't, and many players prefer that you don't. After the others told me about it here, I looked into it, and it really does turn out that going the Genocide route will have severe repercussions.

They're amazing characters, but a philosophy from a friend of mine when it comes to dealing with game characters; they're only a collection of zeroes and ones.

Hey, better than another piece of advice he gave for shooters; go in guns blazin', let the god of their choosing sort out the pieces.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

D-Rock wrote:Before I go through with it, how do I know if killed all of the encounters in an area? Would hate to put in all of that work only to find out that I didn't get that ending because I missed a frog or something.
once you've killed all the encounters, you'll get an encounter that only has the text "but nobody came". the save points have a counter once you're past the ruins. don't forget you can;t get encounters once you fight the level boss. I ran into that problem on my second attempt.

(my first attempt I didn't realize you had to hunt for encounters so I pretty much did a full neutral run)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

D-Rock wrote:No, you don't, and many players prefer that you don't. After the others told me about it here, I looked into it, and it really does turn out that going the Genocide route will have severe repercussions.

They're amazing characters, but a philosophy from a friend of mine when it comes to dealing with game characters; they're only a collection of zeroes and ones.

Hey, better than another piece of advice he gave for shooters; go in guns blazin', let the god of their choosing sort out the pieces.
That's all kinda terrible advice. There isn't anything different about video game characters from, say, comic characters. They're fictional, but they're still SOMEone's voice.

It's not "emotionally manipulative" to give characters personalities any more than it is for the author to have a personality. Unless the presumption is that video games only exist to provide kill fodder and not tell a story.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Plus, you don't go into a book, movie, or video game trying to remind yourself the characters are fake. Part of enjoying them is to allow yourself to feel for them, and to imagine they're real!

I know full well the characters are fake but I still didn't want to take away their good ending. I just watched a genocide run on YouTube. Besides, it's probably pretty tedious, and I'm not sure I could beat the final boss.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I understand that, and far be it from me to so much as mention that these fictional characters don't grab hearts by who they are.

Sad thing is, at the very end, video game characters are characters programmed to react in a certain way to certain actions. Sometimes understanding that is the only way to move on, and even with the most extensive programming, it's still finite. It still has boundaries that will separate it from how one would react in real life. Even worse, it's really the only way for players to go through with the Genocide route. It's not easy for everyone, I'm sure. Even when I was playing Mass Effect I had to acknowledge this, because there were moments where I couldn't avoid killing someone. Haven't finished ME2 yet, really hoping I won't screw up and accidentally let anyone else die.

Also, sir, you're making it sound like I have no emotional attachment to any fictional character. In regards to Undertale, it's a possible option that I would like to see how it plays out, which I've read is EXACTLY what Chara represents.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Rick was talking about the advice, not questioning your intentions. To treat the characters like they never existed, like they are 0's and 1's, is basically saying to remember they are not flesh and blood and can discard it like it's a toy. videogames are usually better at projecting that lesson than toys, but the lesson still is the same.

I don't plan on playing a Genocide route anytime soon, maybe never, but i haven't had this much thought about going on that route since the Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic games, where moral decisions were also heavy in it. In this game, though, it does a very thoughtful reminder of teaching us what we're too use to seeing in modern games. completionism in many games comes with benefits, but this game gives us the idea that there is a downside to doing that in this game. I only go for %100 in games if there was no moral problem in doing so, like Final Fantasy, but if the moral ground is barring me, i don't fully intend to give my morals for full game completion. But then again, i probably have without knowing at this point.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

As someone who tend to have a harder time pulling myself from fictional characters and settings I have invested my deep interest and emotion to, and back into reality, I actually avoided playing Undertale and only watched a few playthrough videos on Youtube to get the general idea of the setting itself. It kills the point of experiencing the game in its entirety, but I don't like being surprised too much while playing games. Even while watching these videos, I had to remind myself of DRock's friend's advice as to not get too attached. But that is my idiosyncrasy (and a rather disturbing one at that).

I'm actually on the wall with regards to this discussion, because I agree with everyone, and each of their points are valid in my eyes.

- OC's and characters created by creative people like artists and authors tend to carry some importance in their creators' lives and reflects some if not all of the creators' own beliefs and life experiences. It's disrespectful to just disregard them as fiction outright, because it would seem like you're disregarding some of the creators' beliefs and essence as fiction as well.
- Again, some people like me have a hard time separating fiction from reality, and we have to redraw the border between them several times over while we're delving into a fictional setting
- In my opinion, games, like dreams and good novels revolving around relationships, can also serve as a simulation as to how one should react in certain situations, and what repercussions might happen from one's choices. Keeping in mind what things that reeeallly couldn't happen in real life like fighting monsters with a toy knife or wielding a magic broom, it has been said that people can learn from the characters' ways of handling any issues they face. I read somewhere that reading literary works might improve empathy, and some games are just interactive versions of said works
- And yes, you don't have to do the Merciless route if you don't want to. If you feel you want the characters to live happy after you've done the true ending and if you're following Asriel's pleas to just let them be when the game ends,then you should. If you want to experience all of the game's endings and see how the game holds up as a whole, the you should. How you experience the game is ultimately up to your choosing

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

(I'm not sure if it's acceptable to double-post here, but the next post is different in tone...)

Ever wondered what would happen if Toriel was not there to stop Flowey from attacking you the first time you met him?

A hard battle, of course!

I've seen some Touhou fans delving into Undertale territory, and even created some Undertale fan stages using the Touhou Danmakufu engine. This one by AJS is still my favourite though

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I tried to play Genocide. I wanted to set it up and spare Papyrus to get one of the Mettaton endings later. But I screwed up at some point in the Ruins, and it never let me get all the kills I needed. I think it's because I met Napstablook before I exhausted the kill counter.

Now I'm not sure I want to try again.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

no, I encountered Blook before finishing my monster hunt, that shouldn't have stopped you. It takes a while to hunt down the last few monsters, you need to just move around a lot in rooms you know have encounters. I suggest clicking out of the window while moving and then listening for the encounter sound (or ALT+TAB out of the full screen while moving)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

It doesn't matter now. I rebuilt my computer (got an SSD for Christmas), and abandoned my previous save file.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

took a progress pic of my sans cosplay, I have the whole outfit
I just ordered skeleton gloves and a mask to finish it.
and I just realized it looks like that water sausage is behind me instead of on my head.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So far, looking good.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Here's the Mettaton EX battle music in the Pokemon FR/LG soundfont: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng_EWY3nmgA

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So, Honest Trailers finally made a video on Undertale. If you know Honest Trailers, you know what to expect. If you don't know Honest Trailers, don't get too mad, it's mostly in good fun. Can't link due to the fact that nearly all trailers have adult humor.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I've had this stuck in my head for the last couple days
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Woo, following links from there.

Spoiler city (bad times)!
RP chars:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Long one, so just have a link.

...Pun not intended, but not unwelcome.