Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Liam

Post by Liam »

Ok, if the Death Planet's death ray travels in hyperspace, how can Finn and co. see it on their planet? Especially if the beam travels even further to the other end of the galaxy to destroy the New Republic's HQ?

You may not post spoilers without spoiler tags.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Douglas Collier

Re: 2016/01/04 - Buy Me A Star War

Post by Douglas Collier »

Spoilers.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Liam wrote:Ok, if the Death Planet's death ray travels in hyperspace, how can Finn and co. see it on their planet? Especially if the beam travels even further to the other end of the galaxy to destroy the New Republic's HQ?
Obviously they were in the same system, in fact based on the observed trajectory of the beam and the fact that the planets were visible from the same point at the time of impact the whole New Republic and the Reb--- Resistance was all in one system. And very close, probably artificial orbits or in orbit around a gas giant.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
valerio

Post by valerio »

Which leads to ask why didn't the Emp-the Prime Order blow up the resistance's base as well, since they weren't lacking of firepower...

Argent

Post by Argent »

valerio wrote:Which leads to ask why didn't the Emp-the Prime Order blow up the resistance's base as well, since they weren't lacking of firepower...
Because Jar Jar Abrams doesn't care about plot consistencies?

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Regarding Star Wars:

Kylo Ren wanted to find Luke Skywalker. The droid with the map was reported to be on that planet. I'm sure they would nuke it if he wasn't there. Granted, they probably could just destroy all the planets and just guess he's dead, but killing planets these days doesn't guarantee anything either unless you know for sure where they were hiding.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Argent

Post by Argent »

GameCobra wrote:Regarding Star Wars:

Kylo Ren wanted to find Luke Skywalker. The droid with the map was reported to be on that planet. I'm sure they would nuke it if he wasn't there. Granted, they probably could just destroy all the planets and just guess he's dead, but killing planets these days doesn't guarantee anything either unless you know for sure where they were hiding.
If he cared about finding Luke, he wouldn't have used a flamethrower on the village the map was supposedly hidden in.
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Argent wrote:
Liam wrote:Ok, if the Death Planet's death ray travels in hyperspace, how can Finn and co. see it on their planet? Especially if the beam travels even further to the other end of the galaxy to destroy the New Republic's HQ?
Obviously they were in the same system, in fact based on the observed trajectory of the beam and the fact that the planets were visible from the same point at the time of impact the whole New Republic and the Reb--- Resistance was all in one system. And very close, probably artificial orbits or in orbit around a gas giant.
Actually, if I remember reading (somewhere) correctly, they're not in the same system (the Resistance HQ, that is, the New Republic ones all are), but the weapon does enough damage that it makes a tear in hyperspace, making it visible instantly all over the galaxy, speed of light be accursed. Or something. This isn't exactly (real) rocket science.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Argent

Post by Argent »

CosmicCoyote wrote:Actually, if I remember reading (somewhere) correctly, they're not in the same system (the Resistance HQ, that is, the New Republic ones all are), but the weapon does enough damage that it makes a tear in hyperspace, making it visible instantly all over the galaxy, speed of light be accursed. Or something. This isn't exactly (real) rocket science.
From that distance all the planets in the Republic would be basically at the same point, so instead of seeing the beams flaring out to hit the planets, they'd converge to a point from basically anywhere that could see them.

Also, once the light left the tear in hyperspace it would be traveling at the speed of light, so nobody would see it for tens of thousands of years.

Contrariwise. If it wasn't light, but some kind of hyperspace light, it wouldn't interact with the lens in your eye so even if it triggered the sensation of vision you'd just see a blur.
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Actually "A New New hope" should have been the name of the movie... Abrams well deserves his name of franchise killer. The characters were two dimensional at best and the plot itself defied even the greatest attempts to suspend disbelief... that's to say nothing about the sheer amount of disney-fication that has gone into it or even the sheer logistical impossibility based on previous star wars cannon. I mean come on... if it took the entire combined might of a united galaxy for 30 years to build a deathstar you expect me to believe that a small fragment of that now toppled government can carve an entire planet into a battle station in only a fraction of the time?

And that's not even bringing up that the new "pseudo emperor" apparently moonlights as the wizard of Oz.

The death of Han Solo was so poorly done and badly orchestrated into the plot that you couldn't even feel emotion when it happened... just...nothing.. And the new Vader wannabe brat kid who throws tantrums every time he didn't get his way.... that was a nightmare.. he didn't even have a reason to be evil nor was one really even attempted at... it came across like "I just want to be evil for the heck of it". no depth no emotion... not even any logic..

Even when they fired the weapon and blew up that star system all i could think of is "why do i care? what is in this system that is so important? Its not corasaunt, its not Kaut, its not even anyplace we have heard of as having any real significance... we are told "oh the senate is crippled now and there fleet is destroyed" but... how? why would blowing up one small backwater system in any way affect the senate? why would it cripple the republic fleet? after all if the republic is the remains of the empire shouldent it have thousands of star destroyers? am i to believe that they stuck there entire military randomly into one spot with no known significance?

also... if they blew up the whole solar system why did they decide to spare the ONE planet that the rebels were on? I'm sorry but as bad as episode 1 was, Jar Jar has been redeemed after this festering turd of a film... And i wont even get started on the Hitler speech that the general gives only to have the storm troopers give him a Nazi salute... seriously since when do storm troopers do that?

Lastly i will end my rant with this one comment... every star wars movie has always had ONE iconic scene... one thing that no matter what everyone remembers from that move for years to come. can anyone name what that is in this movie? I cant...
Image Image
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Adoring Fan wrote:Actually "A New New hope" should have been the name of the movie... Abrams well deserves his name of franchise killer. The characters were two dimensional at best and the plot itself defied even the greatest attempts to suspend disbelief... that's to say nothing about the sheer amount of disney-fication that has gone into it or even the sheer logistical impossibility based on previous star wars cannon. I mean come on... if it took the entire combined might of a united galaxy for 30 years to build a deathstar you expect me to believe that a small fragment of that now toppled government can carve an entire planet into a battle station in only a fraction of the time?

And that's not even bringing up that the new "pseudo emperor" apparently moonlights as the wizard of Oz.

The death of Han Solo was so poorly done and badly orchestrated into the plot that you couldn't even feel emotion when it happened... just...nothing.. And the new Vader wannabe brat kid who throws tantrums every time he didn't get his way.... that was a nightmare.. he didn't even have a reason to be evil nor was one really even attempted at... it came across like "I just want to be evil for the heck of it". no depth no emotion... not even any logic..

Even when they fired the weapon and blew up that star system all i could think of is "why do i care? what is in this system that is so important? Its not corasaunt, its not Kaut, its not even anyplace we have heard of as having any real significance... we are told "oh the senate is crippled now and there fleet is destroyed" but... how? why would blowing up one small backwater system in any way affect the senate? why would it cripple the republic fleet? after all if the republic is the remains of the empire shouldent it have thousands of star destroyers? am i to believe that they stuck there entire military randomly into one spot with no known significance?

also... if they blew up the whole solar system why did they decide to spare the ONE planet that the rebels were on? I'm sorry but as bad as episode 1 was, Jar Jar has been redeemed after this festering turd of a film... And i wont even get started on the Hitler speech that the general gives only to have the storm troopers give him a Nazi salute... seriously since when do storm troopers do that?

Lastly i will end my rant with this one comment... every star wars movie has always had ONE iconic scene... one thing that no matter what everyone remembers from that move for years to come. can anyone name what that is in this movie? I cant...
Are you forgetting that even in the original movies the empire was able to almost finish an even bigger Deathstar within just like 6 years?
And what is the problem of the Wizard of Oz parallels?

Your opinion of Han's death is obviously that, your own opinion. Also, the Darth wannabe WAS MEANT TO BE WHINY, that's his character, and he pulls it off.
Who ever said it was backwater system? Just because it didn't appear in any previous movie doesn't make it a backwater system. And the reason they didn't blow up the planet the rebels were on was because they WERE IN A DIFFERENT SYSTEM.

As for your iconic scenes statement. First, what iconic scene was in Attack of the Clones? And second, Jakku massacre, Han's death, Kylo vs. Fin and Rei, and the closing scene.
GreatKitsune

Re: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Post by GreatKitsune »

Adoring Fan wrote:Actually "A New New hope" should have been the name of the movie... Abrams well deserves his name of franchise killer. The characters were two dimensional at best and the plot itself defied even the greatest attempts to suspend disbelief... that's to say nothing about the sheer amount of disney-fication that has gone into it or even the sheer logistical impossibility based on previous star wars cannon.
Most of the plot was taken from the Legacy novels, which have been accepted as canon. The same books that explained Sidious's survival by saying he had somehow made perfect force-adeptive clones. Also, a planet weapon that eats suns for energy has been done before: KOTOR, which is also canon.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Yeah, I remember someone on the crew getting on twitter and saying the Starkiller attack was so powerful it actually damaged hyperspace, allowing many systems to see it. I like that concept.

I get others' complaints, but I liked Snoke and Maz being cg because they're both singularly unlike any other character in the film. Ancient, otherworldly, deeply involved with the Force, yet visually set in opposition by the massive difference in size. If Maz follows Yoda's theme of a wise old elf or gnome, than Snoke is a mythical and terrible Titan. At least, that's how I see it.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Adoring Fan wrote:if it took the entire combined might of a united galaxy for 30 years to build a deathstar you expect me to believe that a small fragment of that now toppled government can carve an entire planet into a battle station in only a fraction of the time?
I don't believe either Death Star took anything like the combined might of the entire galaxy. It was just such a stupid idea that nobody had bothered up to that point. General Cheekbones was terribly jelly of Darth Vader and the Emperor being Sith-buddies and was desperate for something to restore the rep of the conventional forces.
SuperStar wrote:And the reason they didn't blow up the planet the rebels were on was because they WERE IN A DIFFERENT SYSTEM.
They were clearly within the same system as the target worlds because they could see the beams diverging. Even a couple of light years off, the beams would have been converging to a point, plus the light from the beams would have taken years to reach them.
GreatKitsune wrote:Most of the plot was taken from the Legacy novels, which have been accepted as canon
According to Jar Jar Abrams, nothing but the movies is canon any more.
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Argent wrote:According to Jar Jar Abrams, nothing but the movies is canon any more.
I hate that because The Clone Wars was such a good show and did far more character development for Anikan than the prequels ever did but now it was all for naught.

Remember that the planet destroyed by the First Order could have been an important trade centre, military garrison or massive producer of raw minerals and materials.

I think that Chewbaca should have died in this movie because he didn't really serve a purpose other than to please fans. He could have heriocly sacrificed himself to save the rest of the team escape the exploding planet.
Hi Hi Pie
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

IdleCurator wrote: I hate that because The Clone Wars was such a good show and did far more character development for Anikan than the prequels ever did but now it was all for naught.
I think Clone Wars is still canon, considering that Rebels is considered canon.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Regarding what's still canon, try this.

Lots of stuff I wasn't even aware of is listed as canon as well. Personally, my brother and I were really glad to hear that Clone Wars was still canon. We loved that series.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Argent

Post by Argent »

According to Wookieepedia, the beam destroyed the New Republic's inhabited planets in the Hosnian system, including their capital on Hosnian Prime.

So I was right, they were all in one system.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hosnian_system
D-Rock wrote:Lots of stuff I wasn't even aware of is listed as canon as well.
Those are all new books, movies, and TV shows that haven't been published yet. The new canon is the existing six (now seven) movies, and new works from "Lucasfilm Story Group".
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Argent wrote:
D-Rock wrote:Lots of stuff I wasn't even aware of is listed as canon as well.
Those are all new books, movies, and TV shows that haven't been published yet. The new canon is the existing six (now seven) movies, and new works from "Lucasfilm Story Group".
Not all, in fact not even half of the items on that list are new. Even a few Legacy books are still canon. Also, I refuse to discard the Old Republic books/games, the pre-Episode I books, and the Sith Chronicles books/games as noncanon. It would be especially unwise of Disney to GT the KOTOR games and SWTOR since they're STILL selling copies and DLC, even as long as 14 years after their first release, and since BIOWARE Corp. still holds partial-ownership and copyrights.
Hello, low order beings!

Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Argent

Post by Argent »

So when the article says "they tossed it all out" it doesn't mean "they tossed it all out"?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, as I don't believe that anything has replaced that era yet, one can still hold to that as "head canon." Officially, it's non-canon, but it could still fit.

Sort of how like Death Battle handled Goku in his matches with Superman. For Goku, every source was used as long as it didn't directly contradict with the canon manga, so at the time of the first battle, it included GT, and nothing pre-Crisis was used for Superman in either battle.

Anyway, let's not let this subject get hostile. If you didn't like it, you have your reasons. If you did like it, you have your reasons. We can talk about all points civilly. Who knows, maybe one side might agree with the points the other brings up. I loved the movie, but I still had a few issues.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

I thought Abrams did a good job of keeping the tone of the saga and implementing some aspects of George Lucas' directing style. I'm not saying it was a perfect fit, or that it couldn't have been improved, but considering the pressure involved in taking over a much-loved franchise that has long and always been made in the same manner, Abrams performed excellently in compromising where needed and only where needed. He even made sure someone had lost a hand by the end. Seriously, tho'; is that a fetish of George's or something? I especially liked that the music kept the same feel as John Williams' orchestrations. If anything bothered me, it was the occasional cheesy dialogue from the first couple of scenes.
Hello, low order beings!

ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

All Star Wars dialogue is cheesy =P
Just an Arc
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

ArcWolf wrote:All Star Wars dialogue is cheesy =P
Well, I meant generically cheesy.
Hello, low order beings!

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

It's hard to get a exact quote on this, but from what i read from TVTropes, Wikipedia, news sites and literature, Disney isn't throwing away everything that was done. The stuff Disney is dealing with is the main trilogy and anything dealing with that, such as Rebels and the movies. the stuff they scrapped is now on the expanded universe called Legends such as Bioware, and Legends is an appropriate name since they deal with anything ancient and past-tense, so it's possible that ancient references will be made in the future. hoping on Revan material.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I think that the only things that were made non-canon were things that could contradict the movies they're making. so anything after the original trilogy is out, the movies are establishing the new canon there. probably anything about Boba Fett between movies is out because of the Fett movie. basically, "throwing everything out" just meant "we withhold the right to contradict anything other than the movies and what we put out from now on."
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Argent

Post by Argent »

Today I Learned: Governor "cheekbones" Tarkin's first name was "Wilhuff". No wonder he had issues.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Argent wrote:Today I Learned: Governor "cheekbones" Tarkin's first name was "Wilhuff". No wonder he had issues.
It doesn't help that his official title ("Grand Moff") so closely resembles "grandma".
Hello, low order beings!

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Until just a few days ago, I thought Moff was his first name, and Grand was part of his title, :P
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

GreatKitsune wrote:I thought Abrams did a good job of keeping the tone of the saga and implementing some aspects of George Lucas' directing style. I'm not saying it was a perfect fit, or that it couldn't have been improved, but considering the pressure involved in taking over a much-loved franchise that has long and always been made in the same manner, Abrams performed excellently in compromising where needed and only where needed. He even made sure someone had lost a hand by the end. Seriously, tho'; is that a fetish of George's or something? I especially liked that the music kept the same feel as John Williams' orchestrations. If anything bothered me, it was the occasional cheesy dialogue from the first couple of scenes.
Not surprising the music had that John Williams feel, considering John Williams did the music. :P

Also I think it's safe to say that some form of the KOTOR story is canon. A couple KOTOR alien species appeared in the CLONE WARS series, which is canon, the spirit of Darth Revan was planned to appear in an episode of CLONE WARS, and in a recent canon map of the galaxy they had Rakata Prime, which was vastly important in KOTOR.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:
GreatKitsune wrote:I thought Abrams did a good job of keeping the tone of the saga and implementing some aspects of George Lucas' directing style. I'm not saying it was a perfect fit, or that it couldn't have been improved, but considering the pressure involved in taking over a much-loved franchise that has long and always been made in the same manner, Abrams performed excellently in compromising where needed and only where needed. He even made sure someone had lost a hand by the end. Seriously, tho'; is that a fetish of George's or something? I especially liked that the music kept the same feel as John Williams' orchestrations. If anything bothered me, it was the occasional cheesy dialogue from the first couple of scenes.
Not surprising the music had that John Williams feel, considering John Williams did the music. :P

Also I think it's safe to say that some form of the KOTOR story is canon. A couple KOTOR alien species appeared in the CLONE WARS series, which is canon, the spirit of Darth Revan was planned to appear in an episode of CLONE WARS, and in a recent canon map of the galaxy they had Rakata Prime, which was vastly important in KOTOR.
Of course, Gregor appeared, too, so that would make his games canon as well, which would make the semi-related Bounty Hunter and Clone Wars (GC) games canon, effectively canonizing all of the Activision and Bioware games from 2002-2005.

The Battlefront trilogy (quadrilogy now? I dunno) Is obviously canon. I wonder how they'll do the Force Unleashed games.
Hello, low order beings!

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Found out something interesting about Kylo Ren's lightsaber. The crossguard blades are vents for the main blade, apparently because he's using a more ancient design that needed said vents instead of the more recent designs.

I previously heard a theory that the need for vents was because he was using a broken red crystal, but that's not mentioned in the article I found.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-force-awak ... explained/

Of course, one could still argue whether it's a practical design or not, but at least it stops an opposing lightsaber from sliding down your blade at your exposed hand.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

D-Rock wrote:I previously heard a theory that the need for vents was because he was using a broken red crystal, but that's not mentioned in the article I found.
not a theory, it's in Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, which is a canon source written by one of the guys in charge of maintaining the new canon continuity.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

D-Rock wrote:The crossguard blades are vents for the main blade, apparently because he's using a more ancient design that needed said vents instead of the more recent designs.
It also explains why his lightsaber crackles and lacks stability.
Originally I thought that the crossguard was stupid and more dangerous to the user but then I did some research into sword fighting styles and I learned that it can be done without much trouble. Also in the actual movie Kyle Ren uses it to cut into Fins arm.
Hi Hi Pie
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Speaking of the crystals, is there a set size for them? From the cross-section of Kylo Ren's lightsaber, it seems pretty big, while the crystals seen in Clone Wars and Rebels are about the size of pebbles. Could it be because the red crystals are synthetic?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

looking it up it looks like there are various types of crystal used to achieve various colors and powers for the lightsabers. so they likely vary in size a lot. source

of course that's extended universe, so the number's probably lower. but crystals naturally come in different sizes and I imagine cutting them woul reduce their usefulness. they build the saber around the crystal.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

If you remember back to the Clone Wars episode where the younglings are thrown into a cave to find their crystals, you'll see that they are more or less randomly shaped and sized.
Hi Hi Pie