YBCO

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Strange Matter

YBCO

Post by Strange Matter »

Does anybody happen to know of any facility that might be able to synthesize a 100 kg, single crystal of YBCO, or where to get the reagents to make it cheaply? For those of you who don't know, YBCO is a superconductor, which means it can conduct electricity without resistance below a certain temperature. I want a large, single crystal for an idea, but from what I understand it may be difficult to synthesize a single crystal of that size.
CosmicCoyote

Re: YBCO

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Not... exactly your everyday question.

100 kilos, though?! That's less a crystal and more a... small boulder. I mean, doing the density conversions, you're talking about a stone that's equal to roughly 16 liters. I have to admit, one wonders what exactly you'd need that much for. Even if constructing that big a piece was easily feasible, cooling that entire mass to the critical temperature necessary for superconductivity would require quite a lot of liquid nitrogen. Not the sort of materials you'd find in your everyday science fair project. More like "engineering firm" level, tbh.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Strange Matter

Post by Strange Matter »

CosmicCoyote wrote:Not... exactly your everyday question.

I have to admit, one wonders what exactly you'd need that much for. Even if constructing that big a piece was easily feasible, cooling that entire mass to the critical temperature necessary for superconductivity would require quite a lot of liquid nitrogen.
I don't actually need liquid nitrogen for what I am interested in. Also, how pure do you think the reagents would need to be?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Wh...why do you need something like that?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Strange Matter

Post by Strange Matter »

Sleet wrote:Wh...why do you need something like that?
Let's just say that I have an ambitious physics experiment that I want to attempt. I'm rather paranoid when it comes to people stealing my ideas, so it may best if I keep the details to myself.

By the way here is a link to a method a large crystal YBCO synthesis: http://www.google.com/patents/US6046139
Do any of you think it would work?

I'm really living up to my username, aren't I?
Liam

Post by Liam »

Info available on the net suggests to me YBCO superconducting crystals have a diameter of mere centimeters, so synthesizing a 100 kilogram block of the stuff wouldn't just be ambitious, but also revolutionary and, uh, non-trivial.

You may want to take this up to your university professor instead.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Strange Matter

Post by Strange Matter »

Liam wrote:Info available on the net suggests to me YBCO superconducting crystals have a diameter of mere centimeters, so synthesizing a 100 kilogram block of the stuff wouldn't just be ambitious, but also revolutionary and, uh, non-trivial.

You may want to take this up to your university professor instead.
Is the upper-limit of crystal size in centimeters, or has it not been attempted/would be difficult? Also, I have talked to a professor at my university, but he couldn't really help in this regard.