Tech Talk

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Rojo Ninja

Re: Tech Talk

Post by Rojo Ninja »

Fanboys... People will try to get the ANY of the latest tech, regardless of problems, I also get irritated with apple news, Meh.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Typhon wrote:Do yo guys like subscribe to RSS feeds and all of t hat? I don't but iv heard from others its a real good way to keep updated, but from all this twitter, front page updates, and tech shows i find RSS's sort of just gets lost underneath all that. There are tons of other ways to get informed. What do you guys think?
I keep up to daye via http://live.twit.tv/ (or twit.tv)
and mainly http://www.Digg.com
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Android doesn't suffer from all the problems of the (overhyped) iPhone 4. I think Steve Jobs is getting old and senile.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Anthroguy101 wrote:Android doesn't suffer from all the problems of the (overhyped) iPhone 4. I think Steve Jobs is getting old and senile.
Here, you all get free cases!
There's no problem at all with the iPhone 4!

...Riiiiiiight.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

Buckdida wrote:
Anthroguy101 wrote:Android doesn't suffer from all the problems of the (overhyped) iPhone 4. I think Steve Jobs is getting old and senile.

...Riiiiiiight.
Whats this talk about free cases?? They're giving out free cases??
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

Typhon wrote:
Buckdida wrote:

...Riiiiiiight.
Whats this talk about free cases?? They're giving out free cases??
yup giving away "$30" bumper cases to all iPhone 4 owners...

ImageImage
ImageImage
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

In other news I hate openDNS blocking any attempts to VPN or IRC. I have to end up using mibbit.... well I am on a bus with wireless, but still, can has vpn for data protection?
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Rojo Ninja wrote:yup giving away "$30" bumper cases to all iPhone 4 owners...
Those bumper cases look like they cost about 1 buck to make each...
Shinmera

Post by Shinmera »

Typhon wrote:
Rojo Ninja wrote:yup giving away "$30" bumper cases to all iPhone 4 owners...
Those bumper cases look like they cost about 1 buck to make each...
make it a tenth of that price and we're close to the production costs.
Tymoon.eu A new webcomic every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Just like HP!
Shinmera@deviantART | Shinmera@FurAffinity
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

YouGov either testing the waters on installing something very akin to spyware, or seeing if people are epically gullible.

Article here

I'm really big on internet privacy and profiling.
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Sorry for double post, but some more article goodness.

ACTA leaks - but secret squirrel stays secret

Article mentions the ACTA talk leaks, but also mentions how it hasn't been leaked who demanded the talks be a secret. I wouldn't put it past the US to try and shove copyright laws down countries throats. I actually believe it is the US because US rights holders have the most to gain out of any world copyright law.

I really don't like polices of rights holders and their attack lawyers. Precedents set by some law cases have pushed internet law back a couple of paces. That and getting away with extortion (see Davenport Lyons) is pretty seedy too.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Earbuds are designed to break.
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

WPA2 has security hole (Article)

WPA2 can be attacked by spoofing broadcasts and getting client PCs to send bits of data that give clues as to the secret keys used to generate the encryption. It takes a bit of number crunching to go from the clues to the key, but this is the same way WEP started to end.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

My personal advice: ALWAYS get an extended warranty when buying audio equipment. ALWAYS.
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

WUXGA(1920x1200, 120 pixels taller than 1080p HD) on a 15.4" screen.
(or to give you a perspective on how high the DPI would be)crunching the windows taskbar to just over half a centimeter.
Overkill or perfect? :P I say perfect.
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
Zander

Post by Zander »

Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Nah, Nick Burns does it better. Sorry Euro's its a Hulu link so it might not work for you and the youtube links are horrible quality.
Anthroguy101

zomigosh I just found the best camera EVAR!!

Post by Anthroguy101 »

So I did some window-shopping on the Internet and I found what I was looking for.
THIS is what I want for Christmas. THIS. I have never found a better camera for everything.
Beagle

Re: zomigosh I just found the best camera EVAR!!

Post by Beagle »

Anthroguy101 wrote:So I did some window-shopping on the Internet and I found what I was looking for.
THIS is what I want for Christmas. THIS. I have never found a better camera for everything.

THAT is a nice camera. :O

Here's what I want (but will never get) for Christmas:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834101229

I don't know how to make that link look any better. Help?

And since this is the Tech Talk thread, does anyone understand processor speed in a computer? I had a friend explain it to me once, and I swear my brain exploded. :shock:
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

There is currently an awesome deal on Newegg where you can buy a 1TB external drive for about 50 dollars!

So much cheap space!
Typhon

Re: zomigosh I just found the best camera EVAR!!

Post by Typhon »

Anthroguy101 wrote:So I did some window-shopping on the Internet and I found what I was looking for.
Thats not a camera silly. You just happened to stumble across Captain Kirk's legendary phaser.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:There is currently an awesome deal on Newegg where you can buy a 1TB external drive for about 50 dollars!

So much cheap space!

I would never, ever use 1TB of memory. I don't even use 25 GB, let alone 1024. :lol: (Would be awesome to have though)

If anyone's never heard of it, macmall is a great website for cheap electronics too. Got my iPod classic for about $120 cheaper then at a store. Don't know if that deal is still running, I got it about two years ago.
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

Beagle wrote: I would never, ever use 1TB of memory. I don't even use 25 GB, let alone 1024. :lol: (Would be awesome to have though)
How could you not use 25GB?!

I used to have over 25GB of just wallpapers before I got my new comp! :P
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Beagle wrote: I would never, ever use 1TB of memory. I don't even use 25 GB, let alone 1024. :lol: (Would be awesome to have though)
How could you not use 25GB?!

I used to have over 25GB of just wallpapers before I got my new comp! :P

I've got dial-up, and a dell inspiron 1501. Neither handle very much, so I have virutally no programs, games, downloading music, etc. Heck, I can barely get songs off iTunes with wi-fi at the library. It sits there and just loves to freeze on me.

11 GB for my iTunes, 3 for videos, 5 for pictures, and probably not even a GB for school papers.
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

So guys

I'm a fantasy nerd and the such. But I want to be a smarty tech nerd, to an extent.

HOW I DO DIS? How do I teach computer tech to myself ;A ;
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It's pretty much impossible; I've been trying for nearly a decade.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:So guys

I'm a fantasy nerd and the such. But I want to be a smarty tech nerd, to an extent.

Like, how to type in Microsoft word and stuff?
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Well the best way is through experience. Try messing around with linux, always try and fix problems yourself. If you're in High School and your school has an A+ class on computer repair take it (it's an industry standard certification). Honestly I don't know how I learned a lot of the stuff I know, it was just accumulated randomly.
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

Typhon wrote:
Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:So guys

Like, how to type in Microsoft word and stuff?
More the hardware tech and how it works, but a basic understanding of programing would be nice. But I can do that myself with like guides and cARp can't I?
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Depends on how in depth on hardware you want to go. I for one can't prototype (build) anything electronic, but I can put a computer together and debug hardware issues. Programming I would suggest starting out messing around with HTML (yes it isn't really programming but it gets you into the idea of syntax and debugging) and then try some Java. Definitely take a course on Java, but do stuff outside of class on your own.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

What anti-virus would you people recommend?
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

zeekgenateer wrote:In other news I hate openDNS blocking any attempts to VPN or IRC. I have to end up using mibbit.... well I am on a bus with wireless, but still, can has vpn for data protection?
Use google DNS. I even memorized the (IPv4) DNS server addresses :P, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4. Also, tunnel over HTTP(S(SL) if you want secure)?
zeekgenateer wrote:Depends on how in depth on hardware you want to go. I for one can't prototype (build) anything electronic, but I can put a computer together and debug hardware issues. Programming I would suggest starting out messing around with HTML (yes it isn't really programming but it gets you into the idea of syntax and debugging) and then try some Java. Definitely take a course on Java, but do stuff outside of class on your own.
HTML is a markup language. (HyperText Markup Language) But for starters, Id recommend an easy to use language like GML, Python or turing(correct spelling?).
Anthroguy101 wrote:What anti-virus would you people recommend?

For free, I would recommend avast.
no longer active, sorry
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I'd concur with Avast. I used it at home for several months and it seemed very effective.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

I also run suspicious software sandboxed.(with sandboxing software :P) It's super effective! :P
Okay, lame pun. >.>
no longer active, sorry
notthatlol

Post by notthatlol »

Am I the only one who thinks this iPhone vs. Android thing is history repeating itself?

Seriously.

Wayyyyy back when Apple was the only brand of pc anyone really wanted, Microsoft actually helped with the OS.

Then, Microsoft made a better OS, and completely overshadowed Apple.

Here, Google's been helping with iPhone OS, and has come out with Google Android.

Google Android will (probably) eventually overshadow Apple's iPhone OS, and Apple will be left behind... again.

Poor Apple.

I'm sorry I rambled.

Quack.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

apple has a history of starting as an underdog and then getting too big for its britches. i have no sympathy.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

I am very worried about this Bill and even though many on the forum don't live in America, it has worldwide repercussions. On the surface its a bill to fight pirating, but it can be very easily be shoehorned into being an internet censorship tool. Basically a lawyer can send a notice to the Department of Justice to force a sight to be taken down by removing it from the root DNS servers which are controlled by America (since ICANN is America run). So if a shady company or group of people wanted to disrupt a site they could send takedown notices for questionable even bogus claims to the DoJ and the site would get taken down, not just for the US, but the entire world. Having that much power in one country to control the multinational internet is just scary.
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Well, I don't really do anything on the internet that would get me involved with the feds. Nor use anything that could end up being taken down if what you say is true. So I guess I'm fine. :P

Anyways, I upgraded my video card from an ATI Radeon x1550 to a ATI Radeon x1300/x1550(thats the model windows reports). The old one had an active(with fan) heatsink, while this one is passive(fanless). O.o Yet the new one preforms much better than the previous(WEI score is 1.2 more than with the old, and GPU clock is 200MHz faster than previous. which is 600mhz)
So now I can play Half Life 2 and portal at full XGA(only 1280x1024, though) with everything set to high and MSAA set to 6x. And wait for vertical sync turned on. Perfectly. O.o
Winflip in windows 7 is also much more smooth, not laggy or choppy.

And the best part is, that this has a little dongle that splits the DVI-like connector to two VGA connectors.(it's low profile, only one DVI connector fits) so that means i can use two monitors. :P Each at a max res of 1920x1200, or full HD.
So yay, i wont have to get a secondary video card to put in a second monitor. When I first tested the card, i expected it to preform much worse than my old one. O.o

And wow, i just realized i've typed up a partial wall of text. XD
no longer active, sorry
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I'm looking at buying a new laptop. However, customer service is a fail. I can't get a human on the line..

Anyways, I've got everything else down pat, but I need some help with wireless network specs.

I see two things:
~802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
and
~Intel® Centrino Advanced-N + WiMax 6250 Wireless Card (802.16e/2.5G WiMax Forum Certified, 802.11a/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED)

What's this Intel® Centrino Advanced-N + WiMax 6250 Wireless Card (802.16e/2.5G WiMax Forum Certified for, and why would it be important to have? I don't want to buy a laptop, then all of a sudden: "Oh! You need a ..." My dad. Will. Kill. Me.

I'm looking at the Dell Gateway NV series, if that helps anyone.

If anyone's good with computers, please help me out here. D:
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Anthroguy101 wrote:What anti-virus would you people recommend?
I use Kaspersky. It works really well as a Virus Scanner, but it updates EVERY SINGLE DAY. Bad for my computer's speed. :(
@Beagle: That's just the specs on the wireless card in your laptop so that it can connect to whatever wireless signal it finds.That's a high-speed wireless you're got there. You might want to check with your internet provider to see if they support the N network (I know Time Warner doesn't, especially in my area).