Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Admittedly I don't really play video games anymore. Now I much would rather watch walkthroughs on YouTube. I wanna change that with the Pokemon color and gem series though. :mrgreen:
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Admittedly I don't really play video games anymore. Now I much would rather watch walkthroughs on YouTube. I wanna change that with the Pokemon color and gem series though. :mrgreen:
Gonna do nuzlockes?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Heck no. It has been a DECADE since I played them and when I did, I was never good enough to get up to the Elite 4. If I do play these games, I'm gonna have to use some tools in order to get the full experience of the game.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

It's been a while since I played this but I was thinking about (Mario) The Music Box, which has four things you could never imagine describing one thing, a horror rpg mario fangame, and well made!
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I need some help with Smash Bros. What level does everyone else set the CPU to when fighting? My limit is about 6 and 7 but they're hit and miss a lot of the time. I'm trying to get better but I just get overwhelmed most of the time. This is why I don't usually play fighting games.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I've been hearing that the AI is generally a lot smarter in Ultimate. We tried a tourney the other day, and found that level 3 is still kinda dumb.

When we got used to it in Brawl, my brother and I set them to level 9.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Glad to see Bowser is still as good as ever :3

Been playing the World of Light stuff, but I still haven't found Richter Belmont yet. Argh!

At least I got Simon on normal mode.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

GameCobra wrote:Glad to see Bowser is still as good as ever :3.
Bowser’s my main for a reason :P
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Eh, don't have Smash Ultimate yet, I don't even have a switch, I have been enjoying Subnautica, it was free on epic games.
Rp characters
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Here's a random question, but did anyone play Skylanders? I was just thinking that it was such a huge part of my twenties. Not my childhood, my twenties. I was 20 when it came out and spent thousands of dollars on the figures just for them to be displayed in my room right now. :lol:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

For me it was Disney Infinity. Got into it almost right before the cancellation was announced. Had a lot of fun with it, though, even if I never figured out how to properly work the Toy Box.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

I would say my favorite games are: Earth Defense Force 2025 (THE EDF DEPLOYS) and Deja Vu on the NES...but that is barely even putting a fingerprint on the surface of my favorite games hehe. As for last one I got...gotta say it's hard to say as I review games for a living so I'm getting games mostly everyday. BUT if I were to say the last ones I bought personally, it would be Metal Gear Survive (I really like this game), Yooka-Laylee, Resident Evil 5 (Have it on Xbox 360 but wanted to upgrade), and Mortal Kombat XL.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I’ve been viewing different peoples ranking of the Zelda series and they keep putting Twilight so low. Here’s my ranking and I want to know what other people’s thoughts are.
1. Twilight Princess (I could and have played this several times without losing interest. It is highly addictive.)
2. Breath of the Wild (the reason this is second is because of replay value)
3. Ocarina of Time (just not as good as the first two)
4. Link Between Worlds (some of the most creative storytelling and plot development)
5. Wind Waker (vast overworld is intriguing but the dungeons leave a lot to be desired)
6. Majora’s Mask (crazy difficult and complicated)
7. Phantom Hourglass (love the game just not the overuse of the stylus for literally everything)
8. Skyward Sword (was not that impressed with the controls and the lacking story)
9. Minish Cap (cute but not exciting)
10. Spirit Tracks (huge letdown)
11. Oracles of Seasons and Ages (old. I never could finish ages but loved Seasons)
12. Four Swords Adventures (could never finish)
13. TriForce Heroes (you know why)

These I've tried playing and gave up on after five minutes so they really don't count.
Link’s Awakening (made it through the first two dungeons then lost interest)
Zelda 1 (never played)
Zelda 2 (tried and hated it)
Link to the Past (literally fives minutes in I gave up)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

My first time playing and beating the original Zelda was on the GBA Classics series. Managed to beat both variants. Actually did the "Master Quest" first, as I heard you can skip right to it if you input your name as "Zelda." I liked it for what it was; the first entry.

Zelda 2, okay, as much as I loved the things it did, and the graphics I thought were pretty good, I could never beat it. The temple theme was awesome, though.

Link to the Past, like Zelda 1, I first played on the GBA port. Been thinking of getting the SNES version recently. I thought it was great.

While I have Link's Awakening DX, I haven't made time to actually play it.

The first Zelda game I played to completion would be Oracle of Ages. Loved every bit of it, though it would be a long while before I got to try the second quest, as I didn't have a copy of Oracle of Seasons at the time. Had to make do with a REALLY long transfer code I found online.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The only two Zelda games I have played at all were Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time and both were never to completion due to my OCD making me think about something else or me getting so angry at something I couldn't do I just deleted the file.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Last Zelda game I played was Skyward Sword and I never really cared much for it...and I don't like talking about Breath Of The Wild. Honestly, my favorite ones are Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

I put in my pre-order for Kingdom Hearts 3. Apparently there were 3 or 4 other games between main numbered titles, so I'm looking forward to having absolutely no idea what's going on for the first several hours. :P

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

There are plenty of videos online that help explain what happened otherwise. The only ones you need to know about is Birth By Sleep, Dream Drop Distance, and probably 365 Days.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I keep forgetting it’s coming out this month. I’ve already requested two days off of work to play it, and if the Best Buy I preordered it from has a midnight release I’m getting it there so I can just plow through it and cry like a little baby at all the sad bits I know are there.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

I had thought about trying to review KH3 but I never really had that much interests in the series, to be honest. Only game I'm interested in hopefully getting this month is the Resident Evil 2 Remake on Xbox One (Along with Overwatch on the system as well if it went down in price).
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

SeanWolf wrote:Last Zelda game I played was Skyward Sword and I never really cared much for it...and I don't like talking about Breath Of The Wild. Honestly, my favorite ones are Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening.
The problem with Skyward was that it was trying to do so much and combine so many aspects of previous games while still being unique. Take the Sky part of Skyward, along with Skyloft you have all these cute little floating islands where you go do whatever, cut bamboo or collect pumpkins for no good reason (It's been several years since I played) that was taken from Wind Waker. Then you have the collecting the tears in the Silent Realm which was a complete ripoff from the Twilight Realm from Twilight Princess except worse because of the horrible little Guardians (somehow worse than BoTW Guardians) and the fact you have no weapons. Even Wolf Link could defend himself. Then you have the worse part of the game which was the desert section. To this day I'm not sure what was going on with those timestones or the little robots or that ship! Then they tried to do the upgrading the weapons like in other adventure games which to me was a huge failure and not worth it. It was better in Link Between Worlds because all you had to do was find the little calamari and boom. Then there were the lock puzzles which for the life of me, I don't know what Nintendo was thinking making those Boss Keys so overly complicated for no reason. They really wanted to push the motion control which although cool in theory, it became more frustrating to have to swing the Wiimote so precisely especially in life or death situations. Then you got the imprissoned which you fought over and over again which was a complete waste of time and more trouble than it was worth. All in all the creativity of the story even down to basic stuff like what you are collecting was lame and limiting. Three fires, one harp, and basically a trail of breadcrumbs leading to the Temple of Time. You did literally all of that just to get the Master Sword. Even the dungeons were not even unique, A temple in the forest :o , a fire temple, then the Lanayru Mining Facility which we basically did the same thing back in Twilight. Then you have the Ancient Cistern which is the water temple yeah, big surprise, then you have the Sandship, which actually was the most creative if not the most confusing dungeon of the game, then Fire Sanctuary which is another fire temple. The world was so small and there was so much backtracking. I remember having to basically go through the exact same areas again and being disappointed by the familiarity of them. I mean the art style and the flying aspects made the game enjoyable and different but the story was not well developed and the characters were cookie cutter versions of past Zelda characters. Fi was so animatronic and creepy at times. I'll play it again if they release it on the Switch but I won't like it. I actually bought the special addition with the golden wii-mote. I woke up that morning and drove to Gamestop when they first opened and bought one because I was so scared they were going to sell out. I was the first one and no one else was around.
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

I saw a video about smash on YouTube earlier today. Apparently a giant Little Mac with hyper smash attacks hits really hard. If you get the ability and have the spirit for hyper smash equipped as well as the giant spirit, Little Mac could be a steamroller. The video did use the highest level spirit he had, so most of the fights were over in one punch.
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

fenrirblack wrote:I’ve been viewing different peoples ranking of the Zelda series and they keep putting Twilight so low. Here’s my ranking and I want to know what other people’s thoughts are.
1. Twilight Princess (I could and have played this several times without losing interest. It is highly addictive.)
4. Link Between Worlds (some of the most creative storytelling and plot development)
5. Wind Waker (vast overworld is intriguing but the dungeons leave a lot to be desired)
7. Phantom Hourglass (love the game just not the overuse of the stylus for literally everything)
8. Skyward Sword (was not that impressed with the controls and the lacking story)
11. Oracles of Seasons and Ages (old. I never could finish ages but loved Seasons)

These I've tried playing and gave up on after five minutes so they really don't count.
Zelda 1 (never played)
Okay, you and i differ greatly in that regard. if i were to rank them it's be more like
1) Link to the past
2) Link between worlds
3) Oracle of ages
4) Oracle of seasons
5) Link's Awakening
6) Minish Cap
7) Four sword Adventures
8) Triforce Heroes
9) Zelda
10) Adventures of Link
11) Phantom Hourglass
12) Spirit Tracks
13) Windwaker (the 3d games are this far down because most of them, while good games, don't feel like 'zelda' to me.)
14) Breath Of The Wild
15) Majoras Mask
16) Ocarina Of Time
17-19)CDI Trillogy
20-21) DS remakes of the N64 games

Never played, probably never will:
Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword (by the time TP came out i had started to see traditional consoles as a waste of money. besides which i HATE motion controls and wont touch the wii.)
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I’ve only played three Zelda games, BOTW, TP, and WW, and the only one I’ve beaten is BOTW. BOTW is my favorite, because I’ve always loved exploring things, and it scratched that itch HARD. I loved discovering all the little secrets, I loved recreating Castaway on Eventide Island, I loved discovering one of the dragons and becoming terrified as I thought I stumbled upon a bonus boss I was in no way prepared for before looking at the compendium entry and realizing it was passive. It’s the only game I want to 100% someday, because I fell in love with it that much.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Legotron123 wrote:I’ve only played three Zelda games, BOTW, TP, and WW, and the only one I’ve beaten is BOTW. BOTW is my favorite, because I’ve always loved exploring things, and it scratched that itch HARD. I loved discovering all the little secrets, I loved recreating Castaway on Eventide Island, I loved discovering one of the dragons and becoming terrified as I thought I stumbled upon a bonus boss I was in no way prepared for before looking at the compendium entry and realizing it was passive. It’s the only game I want to 100% someday, because I fell in love with it that much.
OMG, I know right, fighting Naydra on Mount Lanaryu was crazy. I remember just climbing around the mountains, minding my own business when I stumble upon the spring. Then Naydra appears and suddenly I have to beat her and I'm like "IM NOT READY! I was not expecting this. If I don't do this, who knows what will happen. I have to do this and I can't afford to lose." I did. I won without dying and went on my way. I remember freaking out by the entire ordeal.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Buster wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:I’ve been viewing different peoples ranking of the Zelda series and they keep putting Twilight so low. Here’s my ranking and I want to know what other people’s thoughts are.

Zelda 1 (never played)
Okay, you and i differ greatly in that regard. if i were to rank them it's be more like
1) Link to the past
2) Link between worlds
3) Oracle of ages
4) Oracle of seasons
5) Link's Awakening
6) Minish Cap
7) Four sword Adventures
8) Triforce Heroes
9) Zelda
10) Adventures of Link
11) Phantom Hourglass
12) Spirit Tracks
13) Windwaker (the 3d games are this far down because most of them, while good games, don't feel like 'zelda' to me.)
14) Breath Of The Wild
15) Majoras Mask
16) Ocarina Of Time
17-19)CDI Trillogy
20-21) DS remakes of the N64 games

Never played, probably never will:
Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword (by the time TP came out i had started to see traditional consoles as a waste of money. besides which i HATE motion controls and wont touch the wii.)
Buster, did you just say the CDI trilogy is better than the remakes of the N64 games?
I WILL THROW YOU INTO THE ABYSMAL ABYSS.
Rp characters
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

How anybody can like those is beyond me. The AVGN's facial expressions were right on the mark with them. Not to mention how uncanny the animal was.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Pointless, maybe?

I've played Ocarina on N64, great game, played Majora's Mask on the Legend of Zelda collection on Gamecube, rather intense. I just don't think the 3DS is the best designed in terms of controls.

In all honesty, in Ocarina, I'd often play the songs just to listen to them. Wish I could have done the same in Majora's Mask.

And loved how several of those songs made it as howls in Twilight Princess. Played that on Gamecube, as I didn't have a Wii at the time.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

not all of the remakes, just the ds versions specifically.
they're badly done butcheries, majoras mask 3d in particular, that feel less like remakes and more like mean spirited mockeries.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:not all of the remakes, just the ds versions specifically.
they're badly done butcheries, majoras mask 3d in particular, that feel less like remakes and more like mean spirited mockeries.
Would you mind explaining this in more detail? As someone who hasn’t played roughly 90% of the Zelda franchise, I lack the proper frame of reference to understand what you’re talking about.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

a few examples from MM:
Problem 1: the redone graphics look off in several places, but none more so than the false moon. it's gone from menacing and creepy to kinda goofy looking
problem 2: nearly all of the transformation mask based movement mechanics went from 'steep learning curve but learnable, and tons of fun once mastered' to 'no learning curve at all, are my feet made out of molasses or something?'
problem 3: mm was one of the only 3d games that didn't have annoyingly predictable bosses with obvious weaknesses. guess what the remake gave it.
problem 4: the majority of the changes arent platform limitations or the result of bugfixing, but intentional redesigns of working systems into broken ones.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Yeah, I remember seeing the new moon and thought, "really?" It didn't have the menace to it anymore. Sometimes low poly counts help in getting a certain mood. I never did quite master the original transformations, though I had the most fun with Zora Link. Seemed the most combat-capable to me. Goron Link was a bit too slow for my liking, and the roll was hard for me to control. And I see why they would make weaknesses obvious, but at the same time it was more challenging to now see them.

Side note, I remember hearing about this and did some checking. Like the original release of Majora's Mask, there's a lot of leftover data from Ocarina 3D in the files. Some new ones were made, too. Ganondorf, Sheik, and Impa have what seem to be new models that are labelled for the fishing holes added into the remake, but go unused. Maybe like with Koume and Kotake being rather friendly salespeople in Termina, Ganondorf would have been another shop owner.

...I think I would have liked to see that. :lol:
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:a few examples from MM:
Problem 1: the redone graphics look off in several places, but none more so than the false moon. it's gone from menacing and creepy to kinda goofy looking
problem 2: nearly all of the transformation mask based movement mechanics went from 'steep learning curve but learnable, and tons of fun once mastered' to 'no learning curve at all, are my feet made out of molasses or something?'
problem 3: mm was one of the only 3d games that didn't have annoyingly predictable bosses with obvious weaknesses. guess what the remake gave it.
problem 4: the majority of the changes arent platform limitations or the result of bugfixing, but intentional redesigns of working systems into broken ones.
Okay. Good to know.
On an unrelated note, was anyone else disappointed by the fact that you couldn’t go inside the Akkala Citadel in BOTW? Considering how it was apparently the spot of the last stand against the Calamity 100 years ago, I was kinda hoping it’d be some sorta maze dungeon where you have to lay the spirits of all the fallen soldiers to rest, and maybe face some kind of miniboss (I’m still waiting for a Stalnel). I was disappointed to find out it was just another tall thing to climb.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

botw needed about 800% more interior areas in general. shrines get old fast when they're all there is to see. one of the reasons LTTP is at the top of my list is having 13 dungeons (3 starter, 8 darkworld dungeons, hyrule castle, and the pyramid, even if the pyramid only has 3 rooms and serves more as a boss room for the darkworld in general it still counts)
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Moving away from Zelda for a bit (Trust me, I can get into a full discussion why I consider BOTW the worst Zelda game I ever played)...anyone checked out the Resident Evil 2 Remake demo yet? If not...HOLY PEANUTS that is good! I can't wait to get it now!
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

I've seen some gameplay footage on Outside Xbox. It looks amazing! I loved the original, and even though I heard that my memorized layout of the police station isn't going to help me too much, I'm looking forward to seeing the new experience. I got a code for a free copy with the Graphics card I bought, so I just have to wait for the release date.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

SeanWolf wrote:I can get into a full discussion why I consider BOTW the worst Zelda game I ever played
does it involve the game giving you 90% of your weapons and items in the intro area? replacing the dozens of varied and unique enemies and monsters of previous games with pallet swaps and minor variations of the same eight enemies over and over? making all of your weapons hit like foam swords and break like glass? cause even with those combined, pretty sure i could make solid arguments for the CDI trilogy and the bad remakes being worse.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Buster wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:I can get into a full discussion why I consider BOTW the worst Zelda game I ever played
does it involve the game giving you 90% of your weapons and items in the intro area? replacing the dozens of varied and unique enemies and monsters of previous games with pallet swaps and minor variations of the same eight enemies over and over? making all of your weapons hit like foam swords and break like glass? cause even with those combined, pretty sure i could make solid arguments for the CDI trilogy and the bad remakes being worse.
That and the fact I hate how open it is (Sure the other games were somewhat open-world, but at least you still knew where to go), that [censored] stamina bar and how restrictive it is, how it feels less like Zelda and more like Dark Souls (I don't mind Dark Souls but it just doesn't fit within a Zelda Game), the inclusion of voice acting *shudders*...I could go on forever.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

okay the stamina thing i agree with, It's an absurd hindrance until you start getting close to a full 3 rings, but I never once found myself not knowing where i wanted to head next, so that 'lost' comment doesn't really make sense to me, i fail to see the connection to darksouls considering that series defining traits are it's foreboding atmosphere and difficulty curve from hell, neither of which this has, and how is the characters being chatty in verbal form any better or worse than being chatty in text-dump form? they've talked that much since zelda II.

also still not seeing anything the CDI trilogy didn't do one worse than.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

For me, getting lost was kinda my goal in BOTW, since god knows I wasn’t taking on Ganon until I explored every nook and cranny of Hyrule, and enough weapons and skills to fight my way through the Yiga Hideout (since I SUCK at the stealth in that game). There is, however, once exception to that. The Typhlo Ruins and their associated shrine. As someone who is afraid of the dark, that area stresses me out to no end, and the fact that I kept getting lost only made it worse. There’s a reason I always avoid it whenever I start a new playthrough.