How did you come up with your username?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Koda

How did you come up with your username?

Post by Koda »

Some people have rather interesting reasons for their usernames, and I'm wondering how you all thought of them.

Me: I just like the way it sounds, honestly.
yuki wrote: It is purpose that created us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, that drives us. It is purpose that defines us, purpose that binds us.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: How did you come up with your username?

Post by Sleet »

I've always liked simple screen names, as well as ones that are real words and therefore can't be effectively Googled. I happen to love winter, and the more well-known forms of frozen precipitation were probably/definitely already done, so I went with this one. Additionally, I made it my fursona's last name, as well as his/her nickname (rather than using the first name). So calling me "Sleet" works on multiple levels.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Koda

Post by Koda »

And it's gender neutral. Seems to be important to you.
yuki wrote: It is purpose that created us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, that drives us. It is purpose that defines us, purpose that binds us.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Just an added bonus. I actually never intended it like that. It just worked out that way.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

My username is the name of a song. Pure and simple.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Divinaparadiso4

Post by Divinaparadiso4 »

At the time we were reading the Divine Comedy in school and it's the words "Divine" and "Paradise" in Italian. And 4 has always been my lucky number.
Hey look a distraction!!!!
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

A long time ago I wanted Typhoon for a username on an email website. I wanted something similar so i dropped an O and ended up with Typhon. Which coincidentally is the name of the most powerful Greek Titan. Sweeeeeeeeet.
Koda

Post by Koda »

Huh, thought Typhon was Roman. Learn something everyday.
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

Koda wrote:Huh, thought Typhon was Roman. Learn something everyday.
Well it could be. The Romans adopted many customs, traditions, and beliefs when they conquered the Greeks.
Koda

Post by Koda »

I mean the name. The Roman's tended to change the names.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

At first I wanted to use "Fon", which is a part of my last name. But since this forum doesn't allow 3-letters username, I end up needing another one.

I thought of the signature spell for most wizards: Fireball. However, I am not really a fire/hot person, so I settle for the opposite: Aquablast.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I took it from my XBL gamertag which is "DubiousDeicide" which refers to the crucification of Christ.

I figured I'd just take the first part and change it, and now I want to change my GMT to it.

Disclaimer : I do not practice religion.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

I was getting into my first online MMO Star Wars Galaxies, and I needed a name. I wanted to use Ace Azameen, a name that came from the game X-Wing Alliance, but of course, it was already in use. I had always liked how Zeek sounded, but I needed a surname. Thought about it for a bit and transformed Az-a-meen to Gen-a-teer. Thusly you now have Zeek Genateer. If I'm ever online with you don't pronounce it Gen-ay-tur it makes me >.<
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
EvilTwin

Post by EvilTwin »

Mine comes for and old gag my twin brother and I used to play. If ever the topic of the "evil twin" came up instead of our usual tactic of flat denial of myths surrounding twins, we would say it was true but alternate who the supposed evil twin was as many times as possible before the conversation finished. Since then I've liked the concept so when it came to a web persona EvilTwin stuck.
May you lead an interesting life.
Ozzy - S5 P7 E4 C3 I10 A8 L5
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

First + last name mashup.
Ebri
[magic goes here]
Ebly

Was actually a nickname given to me by mon bain, and i thought it was so awesome for who knows why.

which is a nickname i gave to her
since her name is beth. she used to be called bath.

wow, i've never thought much about this whole nicknaming business
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

I was watching the movie "Repo the Genetic Opera" (sweet movie btw), there was a song where the father was singing and asked his daughter "Can't we, just go home Shi, and forget this awful night?" The daughter's name being Shiloh, and the way he sang it, there wasn't much pause between the "Shi" and the "and" so it ended up sounding like "Shi-ann" and when I heard that (or thought I heard that) I really liked the sound of it, so I changed the spelling slightly and have used that name ever since. :) My last name is Skye, I was gonna have the last name be Fox but that was too obvious, so I decided Skye sounded very nice :) So that's where my screen name came from. :3
Harby

Post by Harby »

Harby was a nickname from my xbox live gamertag Harbonaut, online i played as a character called the arbiter (Nickname arby) So i put harbonaut and arby together and vwala, Harby :D
Memory is the key.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

My first nick was Necrid witch i have gotten from Soul caliber II
then i made that Necrith (see what I did there?)
Then i needed a new name for my World of Warcraft character, and I liked something in the lines of drake or Valentia (ironical sounding a lot like Valirio I'm now find out)
so what I did is go to google.com and kept entering names like "Drakar, Drakara, zaventia" until i ended up with Kyderra and google's page said <nothing found>

so basically, i kept googling till i found a name that was not taken yet.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

44R0NM10 quite honestly first came from me rushing to Runescape for the first time. I was first called Aaron M10 though. Aaron being my first name, 'M' standing for my second name and 10 being an awesome number. When I tried to go on youtube, AaronM10 was a username that was already taken. I decided to go all 1337 and turn into 44R0NM10 at that point. Since then, I've liked the name 44R0NM10. :D

Anytime I can't use numbers though (like for WoW characters) I call myself 'Hourder'. This is because of the TimeSliptters: Future perfect award 'Hoarder' and a typo on my end. :D
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

'NickCole' came from my real name, Nicole, I just added a 'K' in the middle and people refer to me as "Nick" anyway. Plus 'Cole' is one of my original characters I used.

As for 'Nickiestyer', it just came from a game my friend and I made, adding '-er', '-est' and '-ty'. We made a very weird long word with those. Soon, I just used that on my nickname but in a short form.
Kaido

Post by Kaido »

I keyboard mashed and "Kaido" was somewhere in the middle.

HUZZAH!

"FlintTheSquirrel cries for Kaido. He is the only one who understood me not understanding things. :("
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

As I have said plenty of times, my nickname is derived off of the first webcomic I have ever read, UTC. The comic has quit a year and a half ago. The main character's little brother's name is Flint and he got turned into a Squirrel because he drank something meant for someone else. I've always liked squirrels as well so yush! :3
Last edited by FlintTheSquirrel on Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

From Wolf's Rain, the character Toboe. But Toboe was busy so I had to go with Tobee instead :3
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

i didn't want to use the username I usually do (my name, heheheh) because I know someone who googled my username and proceeded to ask me about every forum I was a part of...

My username is something that I do, and something that I am.
The Game

Post by The Game »

I read the first couple arcs of Housepets! and i thought the username here had to be related to the comic.
I was like, a super newb
Vadiant

Post by Vadiant »

I took my user name from a cleaning company in Canada. ... Not really, but that IS one of the first things to come up if you Google me. :lol:
RG; Seb & Dahlia
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

The Game wrote:I read the first couple arcs of Housepets! and i thought the username here had to be related to the comic.
I was like, a super newb
ORIGINAL THE NAME, DO NOT STEAL.
Koda

Post by Koda »

The Game wrote:I read the first couple arcs of Housepets! and i thought the username here had to be related to the comic.
I was like, a super newb
Nothing wrong with being new.
Dubiousity wrote:
I was like, a super newb
What? "Original the name"? That doesn't make sense.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Koda wrote:
I was like, a super newb
Nothing wrong with being new.
Dubiousity wrote:
I was like, a super newb
What? "Original the name"? That doesn't make sense.
It would make sense if you got the reference.
Koda

Post by Koda »

Oh. I rarely do get references. :(
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I've had it... basically... forever. x3 Lemme think, in Internet terms is nearly a decade a long time? x3

Any Dissension you run into is probably me and any NeoDissension certainly is.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Well, I think I can remember my whole transfer of NN's over the past several years:
Chaos Guardian
.:CG:.
Cr4z3Y_3r1c
Cr4zY3r1c
.:C3:.
EmptyRealm
DubiousDeicide
Firenzei
Dubiousity

Yup.
Koda

Post by Koda »

I've never understood why someone would put their real name as part of their username. IE: Crazy Eric.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I had an old screen name I used a lot which I won't repeat since it's completely unique (and Googlable) and at least one member here knows it, but when I decided to disconnect from it I went through a number of potential names. One of them, which is still my Xbox Live name, was SnowFox7. Sadly I didn't know there were spaces at the time, or I might have gotten away with no numbers.
Liam

Post by Liam »

My first consideration was ##--HyperProvolvedMegaShockwaveOfPuresomeTranscendence1927--##, but unfortunately too long.

Then I remembered being the reincarnation of Franz von Taxis and spelled mail backwards.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Koda wrote:I've never understood why someone would put their real name as part of their username. IE: Crazy Eric.
Is there something wrong with that?
devils

Post by devils »

the New Jersey Devils, they were my favorite hockey team when i was younger
Cinder:S:5 P:6 E:3 C:5 I:8 A:7 L:2
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

I used to be Sir Sniper for everything, coming from my weapon preference on FPS's. However, when Super Smash Brothers Brawl came out, I binged on that for a month, and changed interests. I needed a username for Housepets, and "Sir Sniper" didn't work for me. So, I took "Brawler", from Brawl, and made it as internet relevant as possible by adding "Teh" to the front.

How predictable of me.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

devils wrote:the New Jersey Devils, they were my favorite hockey team when i was younger
I would start to brag but I'm just gonna keep my hockey ego in check.
Koda

Post by Koda »

Dubiousity wrote:
Koda wrote:I've never understood why someone would put their real name as part of their username. IE: Crazy Eric.
Is there something wrong with that?
Not per se, but it just seems weird to me.