So, where do you work?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

ctcmjh

So, where do you work?

Post by ctcmjh »

I'm just now starting to go job-hunting, and this seems like an appropriate time to open this thread.

So I ask you, fellow Housepets fans, where do you work? If you don't work, have you worked before?
Senator_Sunburst

Re: So, where do you work?

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

Don't currently work because of school. I work sometimes during the summer, when I do, it's always been as a temp clerk at the IRS.

Extremely boring work but it pays well enough, and it's really really easy.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Online applications can bite me.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I go to school now, but until about a week and a half ago I worked as a lab technician intern (basically a full lab technician) at the local neighborhood genome center. Before that I worked on data entry on a radiotherapy research project, at Sonic (which sucked, and I was fired for being too slow at the job I was never trained for) and at Steak 'n' Shake (which is pretty much as good as you could possibly get from a job making/serving cheap or cheap-ish food).
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Vadiant

Post by Vadiant »

As said before, school, now. But when I'm not in school, I work at PetSmart. Or occasionaly I help out at the law firm that... Everyone else... In my family works at. ... Huh. It just now occurred to me that I'm not only the random one in my family, but I'm also the one making the least money-per-hour.
RG; Seb & Dahlia
Senator_Sunburst

Sleet wrote: Before that I worked...at Sonic (which sucked, and I was fired for being too slow at the job I was never trained for)...
You're too slow! You should have stepped it up!

But seriously.
Sleet wrote:I go to school now, but until about a week and a half ago I worked as a lab technician intern (basically a full lab technician) at the local neighborhood genome center.
This sounds like an awesome job that I wish I could have. Not permanently, but if I were to get into the sciences, this would probably be an intern job I'd like.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

That was a terrible yet ironic pun, you should be ashamed.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:You're too slow! You should have stepped it up!

But seriously.
The irony would be stronger if the restaurant wasn't itself very slow.

Well, the irony is just as strong, but concentrated elsewhere.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Senator_Sunburst

I've never had any problems with it personally, other than their food is overall bad. Their drinks are good though, so long as the people mix them properly, which sometimes they don't.

Also, I had a friend get all but fired from there because he asked "What condiments do you want?" instead of "do you want mustard or mayo?" His reasoning was that asking the latter sometimes caused people to say "yes", leaving him confused as to what exactly they wanted.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:I've never had any problems with it personally, other than their food is overall bad. Their drinks are good though, so long as the people mix them properly, which sometimes they don't.

Also, I had a friend get all but fired from there because he asked "What condiments do you want?" instead of "do you want mustard or mayo?" His reasoning was that asking the latter sometimes caused people to say "yes", leaving him confused as to what exactly they wanted.
Talk about a strict boss.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:I've never had any problems with it personally, other than their food is overall bad. Their drinks are good though, so long as the people mix them properly, which sometimes they don't.

I think their food is delicious. We must get different things.

The funny thing is that a week or so before I left, we had a manager get in a shouting match with an employee over an innocent comment she made that he interpreted as racist and then made a huge deal about it. They were both still working after the incident. Their priorities are out of whack.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I don't work.

I go to school, and I be on here when I'm not x3

Or sleeping.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

*sigh* I work as a groundskeeper and I HATE it.. but the pay is decent. So I will continue untill I can afford an apartment, then my best friend will move in so we can be roomates, then I will get a part time job (and prlly enjoy that more, my past jobs were part time ones and I liked them alot more) and be able to go back to college. Once I figure out what to go to college for though. I'm not sure if I should go and be a Vet Technician, go for Art, or go for Writing..the one good thing about my current job is that it's seasonal. So in the winters I don't have to work and still get paid unemployment for it :)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You could get the best of both worlds and be the groundskeeper for a hotel up north or something in the winter when it's closed down and use all that extra time to be a writer. You could even bring your family.
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Sleet wrote:You could get the best of both worlds and be the groundskeeper for a hotel up north or something in the winter when it's closed down and use all that extra time to be a writer. You could even bring your family.
sounds reasonable, I hear the Overlook hotel may be hiring soon..
Zander

Post by Zander »

At a sign store. I work on the computers and design signs.
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Adzo
Location: The twised parallel reality of my own mind, my mind is in Scotland at the moment

Post by Adzo »

I work as a general dogsbody at my Dad's hairdressing salon, mostly cleaning and making coffee, but any non-hairdressing jobs nobody else wants to do.
My weirdest task so far was searching the whole town for Irn-Bru bars when the rest of the staff had a craving for them (The finest in bright orange soft drink based confectionery, 100% artificial ingredients).
I made some good money when Dad closed one of his two shops, and decided that seeing as he had my, and my brother's services on offer, and that the shops are walking distance from each other, that removal companies were for saps. twin brothers carrying large items of furniture through the city centre has a kind of laurel and hardy slapstick feel to it.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I wish I had a job, I've been searching for one for months.
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

Chemical labs technician intern at a college.
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

Typhon wrote:Chemical labs technician intern at a college.
so.. like.. if you ever find any potions that might make someone into a furry you can always send me them! XD
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Shyanne wrote:
Typhon wrote:Chemical labs technician intern at a college.
so.. like.. if you ever find any potions that might make someone into a furry you can always send me them! XD
I recently brewed something following a recipe from Harry Potter. I drank it and was given magical powers to rival Pete's. Huzzah
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

I finished the application for a job at the local cinema. I hope I get that job!
Adzo
Location: The twised parallel reality of my own mind, my mind is in Scotland at the moment

Post by Adzo »

Best of luck!
I am currently seeking some better work than the hairdressers. It pays less than minimum wage, and since the other shop closed there isn't enough work to keep me busy.
I have applied for a few bar tending and waiting jobs to keep me going through university.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Well, I had some different jobs for ATU when I was a student. Graduation video photog & editor, computer graphics & digital VTR operator for the football stadium's video board, associate producer at the TV station, and I wasn't technically a holder of the position, but I wrote parking tickets for folks that didn't have the proper access hangtags. That was interesting.

I'm currently an unemployed slob living with his mother.

My current job prospects include Microsoft Networking Technician and New & Used Car Salesman.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Jack

Post by Jack »

i breed different types of penguins.
im a penguin breeder. :|

just kidding, i don't have a job.
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Jack wrote:i breed different types of penguins.

That would have been so cool :/
Jack

Post by Jack »

Typhon wrote:

ya it would! xD

but, if it counts, i volunteer as a first aid giver. just yesterday i was medically securing a soccer game. i swear to god, those professional players are a bunch of whiners! so you fell, stop making a scene! at least that means i was seen on tv every time we were called out to take the player away. ^^
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Jack wrote:
Typhon wrote:

ya it would! xD

but, if it counts, i volunteer as a first aid giver. just yesterday i was medically securing a soccer game. i swear to god, those professional players are a bunch of whiners! so you fell, stop making a scene! at least that means i was seen on tv every time we were called out to take the player away. ^^
They make a scene for a reason. The more they whine and whimper about a scratch the higher the chance they can get FOUL called.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I need a job. I've been looking but nobody will hire.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Typhon wrote:They make a scene for a reason. The more they whine and whimper about a scratch the higher the chance they can get FOUL called.
It's also really bad in college and especially high school basketball. I love (nonprofessional) basketball as a sport, but I hate how fouls are pretty much part of the game at this point. Referees should be more conservative with their foul calls, but then they'd have fans cussing all over them about it.
thrasherblades

Post by thrasherblades »

I work at a music store.
HP Universe's Furry Guitarist LEHUSKEH. I offer lessons exclusively on Skype. PM if interested ;)
Medli

Post by Medli »

I am professional dogsitter, and some kind of super hero since I once stopped a hand bag robbery and earned money for it.
But I´m out of work :(

If I don´t work, I go to school of course.
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
The Game

Post by The Game »

At my school, as a student, with no pay.
Yup, that's the life
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Medli wrote:I am professional dogsitter, and some kind of super hero since I once stopped a hand bag robbery and earned money for it.
But I´m out of work :(

If I don´t work, I go to school of course.
Did he/she have a gun??
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

my school, for some insane reason, presents itself as a "workplace for learning"

that count?
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Today, I received a job offer contingent on the results of a criminal background investigation (and it's been more than a decade since I've had negative contact with the police). *laughs hysterically*

On the 20th, I start training to be a call center operator... doing customer service stuff. I'll be working in a large facility with dozens of other people taking phone calls related to product replacement and repair and the like. Well, assuming I don't mess up during the training period, anyway. My actual shift is scheduled to begin on October 25th. Pay is not bad at $9.00/hour base with various programmed increases and bonus opportunities, there is a 401k plan, and the insurance is apparently tremendous. I'm hoping there will be an opportunity to transition from hourly to salaried status, but that will wait till I've been there for a while.

If you buy something from Wal-Mart (or one of more than 130 other companies) and you break it, you might be talking to me.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i worked for a week as a dishwasher at a Chinese Buffet, i even got free dinner
i also worked at a cafe/bakery my family owned. we called it Om Nom.
i am currently unemployed
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You had/have a bakery called "Om Nom?" How cool is that?
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i thought it was pretty good, but we had to sell the store because we weren't getting enough customers

also on one of the walls of the store, we had a bunch of random om nom pictures, like this Image
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

mariomarc wrote:i worked for a week as a dishwasher at a Chinese Buffet, i even got free dinner
i also worked at a cafe/bakery my family owned. we called it Om Nom.
i am currently unemployed
You worked at a place called Om Nom????

:D way cool