Friendcodes Pokemon

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Friendcodes Pokemon

Post by Sleet »

The face is kind of weird, but I'm more happy about the fact that it exists.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Flint wrote:flying squirrel Pokemon followed by ecstasy
I still can't figure out why Game Freak feels the need to come up with a Pikachu equivalent for every generation. It's impossible to outdo Pikachu, and I've never found any of the others to be useful anyways. I mean, you had to catch both Plusle and Minun to actually give them purpose.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Cute things sell games to children. And plushies.

Generation II didn't have a Pikachu clone (unless you count Pichu), and if this is an evolution of Pachirisu, it hardly counts as a Pikachu clone for generation V. Heck, Pachirisu at least didn't look like Pikachu like Plusle and Minun did. I mean, sure it's an electric rodent with a name untranslated from Japanese, but still...
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Sleet wrote:Cute things sell games to children. And plushies.

Generation II didn't have a Pikachu clone (unless you count Pichu), and if this is an evolution of Pachirisu, it hardly counts as a Pikachu clone for generation V. Heck, Pachirisu at least didn't look like Pikachu like Plusle and Minun did. I mean, sure it's an electric rodent with a name untranslated from Japanese, but still...
I was counting Pichu, actually.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

That Flying squirrel is nothing like Pikachu, unless you mean the tail. That is because of electric thunderbolts, they ran out of ideas. Anyways, cuteness is what makes a team for me. :)
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:That Flying squirrel is nothing like Pikachu, unless you mean the tail. That is because of electric thunderbolts, they ran out of ideas. Anyways, cuteness is what makes a team for me. :)
Appearance-wise, no. But it's an electric rodent. If it's not the evolved form of Pachirisu, I bet you can find it in a forest area early on in the game, which is where you could find Pikachu in the original. Basically, it's the concept that's Pikachu's equivalent.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

You know, instead of debating about the new pokemon generation 5 evolutions, I think serebii.net has their Gen. 5 pokedex updated by now. I haven't been on that site in a while, so I don't know.

If they haven't gotten the nex 'dex updated yet, y'all only have about 6 days left to wait. They post the new 'dex (this time for Black and White) usually the very same day the new games get released in Japan.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
FlintTheSquirrel

Teh Brawler wrote:
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:That Flying squirrel is nothing like Pikachu, unless you mean the tail. That is because of electric thunderbolts, they ran out of ideas. Anyways, cuteness is what makes a team for me. :)
Appearance-wise, no. But it's an electric rodent. If it's not the evolved form of Pachirisu, I bet you can find it in a forest area early on in the game, which is where you could find Pikachu in the original. Basically, it's the concept that's Pikachu's equivalent.
Well that is probably true, but I never like to think of squirrels as rodents so out of personal beliefs, me end still holds true for me.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Beagle wrote:You know, instead of debating about the new pokemon generation 5 evolutions, I think serebii.net has their Gen. 5 pokedex updated by now. I haven't been on that site in a while, so I don't know.

If they haven't gotten the nex 'dex updated yet, y'all only have about 6 days left to wait. They post the new 'dex (this time for Black and White) usually the very same day the new games get released in Japan.
Not all the new Pokémon have been released/leaked yet. They have a lot of new Pokémon, but little more than a picture, a type and a Japanese name.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sleet wrote:
Beagle wrote:You know, instead of debating about the new pokemon generation 5 evolutions, I think serebii.net has their Gen. 5 pokedex updated by now. I haven't been on that site in a while, so I don't know.

Not all the new Pokémon have been released/leaked yet. They have a lot of new Pokémon, but little more than a picture, a type and a Japanese name.

Ahh. Well I'm sad to say that I've grown out of pokemon, so I haven't been on the website lately. I think the repetiveness of HeartGold is what killed it for me. I seriously wish I could find a new video game series to get addicted to during my free time. If I ever get a chance to play my Kingdom Hearts 12 game, I'll see if that's a good series or not.

You know, we have all completey de-railed this thread. Or are we still okay since we are talking about pokemon, at least?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Beagle wrote:Ahh. Well I'm sad to say that I've grown out of pokemon
That breaks my heart. :(

HeartGold is a ten-year-old game. Perhaps you'll be revitalized with Black and White? I kind of lapsed a little bit during the third generation (my least favorite), but Diamond and Pearl got me back on the obsession bandwagon when they came out.

In the meantime, try Fire Emblem! Assuming you haven't already.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Sleet wrote:In the meantime, try Fire Emblem! Assuming you haven't already.
I've only played Shadow Dragon and I find it amazing. :P
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sleet wrote:
Beagle wrote:Ahh. Well I'm sad to say that I've grown out of pokemon
That breaks my heart. :(

HeartGold is a ten-year-old game. Perhaps you'll be revitalized with Black and White? I kind of lapsed a little bit during the third generation (my least favorite), but Diamond and Pearl got me back on the obsession bandwagon when they came out.

In the meantime, try Fire Emblem! Assuming you haven't already.

Yeah, I was figuring maybe Black or White would get me recharged, but I've looked at the newest leaked ones, and I fear they're just making random pokemon now, they aren't that original anymore, and the names are just getting stranger and stranger. :(

I've tried Fire Emblem. It was... okay. Shining Force was my favorite stradgey (mispell, I know) game, ever. When I play video games, I usually like more free-ranged, open games. Like how you can roam around in pokemon, Spyro, Destroy All Humans and even Zelda. It stems from my inablility to stay focused on things for long periods of time. :lol:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Beagle wrote:Yeah, I was figuring maybe Black or White would get me recharged, but I've looked at the newest leaked ones, and I fear they're just making random pokemon now, they aren't that original anymore, and the names are just getting stranger and stranger. :(
Eh, they all look random at first. I didn't like a lot of the Diamond and Pearl designs at first until they grew on me.

Also, the only names that are confirmed for English are "Reshiram" and "Zekrom." Most of the rest, if not all of them, will change.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Beagle wrote:Yeah, I was figuring maybe Black or White would get me recharged, but I've looked at the newest leaked ones, and I fear they're just making random pokemon now, they aren't that original anymore, and the names are just getting stranger and stranger. :(
That probably has a lot to do with the fact that Ken Sugimori isn't designing every Pokemon by himself anymore. He actually did the first 151 on his own, and most of the second generation as well. Then the third generation came around, Sugimori solely became head of character design, and well, the rest is history.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Teh Brawler wrote:
That probably has a lot to do with the fact that Ken Sugimori isn't designing every Pokemon by himself anymore. He actually did the first 151 on his own, and most of the second generation as well. Then the third generation came around, Sugimori solely became head of character design, and well, the rest is history.
The first two generations were amazing. My favorites. On the old games though, HG&SS are just too bloated with the new stuff.

As a friend at school put it, "It was cool when there were 151. It was a nice challenge. Now it's over 500. Those little kids that grew up playing the games? Yeah, we're all getting jobs and moving out and having lives now. Don't have enough time to 'catch 'em all!' "
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I never worried about catching 'em all. I just like catching what I liked.

A lot of people have nostalgia filters up when it comes to new Pokémon. I try my best to turn mine off and ultimately I enjoy seeing the Pokédex grow.
FlintTheSquirrel

I enjoy the additions to the Pokémon family, it gives me more names to memorize and more episodes to watch. :3
Their is nothing wrong with putting more in small doses. Or in this case, 100 at a time.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There will be 156 new Pokémon this time. Since three are event Pokémon and the original 493 will be unobtainable during the initial playthrough, there will be only three more available non-event Pokémon than in Red and Blue until you beat the game. Or trade.

For those without math ability or a calculator, that makes the grand total 649. Apparently they really didn't want to make that 650th Pokémon.

Or perhaps they just deny its existence at first, not unlike Arceus.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Mmhmm. I can agree with the filter. I also have no patience to level all the pokemon up; and playing HG, I used an ActionReplay since it just took too long. Wasn't the same as putting in hours of long, hard work. I guess my lack of patience just ruins the whole experience too. XD

649 pokemon?! Oh. My. Goodness. O.O
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

While I do like a lot of the polish in HeartGold and SoulSilver, I do think the levels were not balanced well (which was a flaw of the original). Many Pokémon in Kanto were underleveled, leaving my not suficiently leveled up for the stronger Elite Four and especially for Red. I had to do some serious grinding to get my Pokémon to the level to beat them. That led to a lot of tedium.

Maybe Black and White will have ways to actually battle Pokémon your level for experience for the last 30 levels for once.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Sleet wrote:There will be 156 new Pokémon this time. Since three are event Pokémon and the original 493 will be unobtainable during the initial playthrough, there will be only three more available non-event Pokémon than in Red and Blue until you beat the game. Or trade.

For those without math ability or a calculator, that makes the grand total 649. Apparently they really didn't want to make that 650th Pokémon.

Or perhaps they just deny its existence at first, not unlike Arceus.
Event Pokemon meaning the three you can choose from at the start, I assume?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

No, the ones you can't get if you're trapped in the middle of a desert with an AC outlet, two DSs, both versions of the game and no Wi-Fi.

The legacy started with Mew. Though technically, very recently a glitch to get Mew in Red or Blue without any external help was discovered.
FlintTheSquirrel

I don't know. We had Mew for as long as I can remember in that game, or it might have been Gold and Silver. I am not fully sure. Anyways, Missing No. Still is my weird Pokemon of choice. And the method to find it is surprisingly easy.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

With the exception of the glitch, the only way to get Mew was to get it at an event (I got mine at a mall tournament), to trade, or to cheat. That will likely be the case for these three, though nowadays the event releases usually involve getting it over Wi-Fi at certain retailers on a certain day.
FlintTheSquirrel

Yea, it is a shame that events like that are not as good as they used to be. Slow and in-efficient is normally the funnest way to go if you want to have a memorable moment. But we really did stray off of the true meaning of this thread.
I hope Jakkal does not mind.
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

nope carry on... just PM me if you got your FC
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Gah, Black & White information is leaking everywhere and it looks like Mijumaru's final evolution is in fact a sea lion and not an otter.

I'm so disappointed. Apparently they couldn't think of a way to make a freaking otter samurai look powerful enough?!
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Everyone I know is hating on Black/White gen pokémon. Being someone who really does not care about pokémon beyond nostalgia, can I just say that its pokémon suffer from the same problems every generation's does. If pokémon black/white came out first and the series went backwards, I can say with absolute certainty that people would be absolutely trashing magnemite and its evolutions because "what on earth it's a freaking MAGNET have they completely RUN OUT OF IDEAS???"

I only used one example, but you get what I mean, right? And I know nobody's mentioned it here yet, but someone's been bugging me all day because they kept talking about how 'crap' the new series is.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
FlintTheSquirrel

Well it does have a flying squirrel. So I instantly love this generation. 8-) Can't Wait!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ebly wrote:Everyone I know is hating on Black/White gen pokémon. Being someone who really does not care about pokémon beyond nostalgia, can I just say that its pokémon suffer from the same problems every generation's does. If pokémon black/white came out first and the series went backwards, I can say with absolute certainty that people would be absolutely trashing magnemite and its evolutions because "what on earth it's a freaking MAGNET have they completely RUN OUT OF IDEAS???"

I only used one example, but you get what I mean, right? And I know nobody's mentioned it here yet, but someone's been bugging me all day because they kept talking about how 'crap' the new series is.
It's a common problem in the fandom. People look at the new stuff like it's ruining the games, when in reality everything looks bad compared to the rosy-tinted world of discovering Pokémon together with your entire school. The designs are dropping in quality slightly, but not much at all. Meanwhile, the games are getting better. I've learned to appreciate everything as objectively as possible.

I still stand by Daikenki being lame though.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Sleet wrote:
Ebly wrote:Everyone I know is hating on Black/White gen pokémon. Being someone who really does not care about pokémon beyond nostalgia, can I just say that its pokémon suffer from the same problems every generation's does. If pokémon black/white came out first and the series went backwards, I can say with absolute certainty that people would be absolutely trashing magnemite and its evolutions because "what on earth it's a freaking MAGNET have they completely RUN OUT OF IDEAS???"

It's a common problem in the fandom. People look at the new stuff like it's ruining the games, when in reality everything looks bad compared to the rosy-tinted world of discovering Pokémon together with your entire school. The designs are dropping in quality slightly, but not much at all. Meanwhile, the games are getting better. I've learned to appreciate everything as objectively as possible.

I still stand by Daikenki being lame though.
Sleet wrote:The designs are dropping in quality slightly, but not much at all.
I'd have to disagree. The quality hasn't changed, but the style has. Considering the large amount of people on the character development team these days, it's completely natural that the design should change.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Of course, but do you really think that after 649 Pokémon the idea well might start drying a little? I think that's the only problem they're having. They're doing just as good of a job otherwise.
Last edited by Sleet on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

you realise there's a trash bag pokemon, right, brawlyboy?

I agree that the designs are worse to a degree but the way people look at it is just melodramatic. Yay for agreement.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well there always was a floating ball of smelly poison Pokémon. That's just as ridiculous I'd say.

Also, my vote for the worst design of the generation: Maggyo the electric/ground "what is this I don't even" Pokémon. I mean what is that? Did they just want to make a Pokémon with that type combination, and then not thinking of making a lightning rod-themed Pokémon, fall back on drawing... That?

As for the best, more thought needs to go into that one. I'll need to wait to get the actual game, see them in action, and watching them animated on the cartoon starting late next January wouldn't hurt. There's a lot more to design than just a static sprite.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Ebly wrote:you realise there's a trash bag pokemon, right, brawlyboy?
Sleet wrote:Also, my vote for the worst design of the generation: Maggyo the electric/ground "what is this I don't even" Pokémon. I mean what is that? Did they just want to make a Pokémon with that type combination, and then not thinking of making a lightning rod-themed Pokémon, fall back on drawing... That?
Where do you people find this stuff out
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

This page. Usually Bulbapedia is a better source, but it's still in the process of updating the new ones.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Sleet wrote:This page. Usually Bulbapedia is a better source, but it's still in the process of updating the new ones.
I remember Serebii. Good times. :P
DOH HO HO WELL THEN