Roleplaying Section Rules - Updated!

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Roleplaying Section Rules - Updated!

Post by Blue Braixen »

Check out the Main OOC thread for a concise and updated version of these rules.

This goes without saying, but any rules in the Forum rules also apply to this section.

General rules
  • Always make an OOC (Out of Character) topic before making the IC (In Character) topic so that players may read the setting and whatever rules or changes you may wish to set before the roleplay begins. IC topics made without an OOC will be locked.
  • Do not randomly join a roleplay. The GM (Game Master) of the roleplay has to approve you before you can play. Most of the time, you can join a game by posting in the relevant topic in the OOC subforum, but always make sure beforehand, as some roleplays may work in a different way.
  • Before an IC roleplay commences, approval must be given from one of the roleplaying or global moderators. This is only to give a period in which interest can be gauged to ensure the life of the roleplay and not clutter the forum with dead topics.
  • Stay sensible. If you don’t think something is PG-13, don’t post it. If you believe you must post it, send a PM to either a global or roleplaying moderator beforehand to read over it, make changes, and ensure its acceptability.
  • The GM controls who is accepted into his/her roleplay and how loose/strict the rules are. However, in the case of a roleplayer breaking the GM's rules (perhaps in the GM's absence), the global or roleplaying moderators may intervene to ensure the cohesiveness of the roleplay even if they are not personally involved with it.
  • The roleplaying forums are held to higher standards of writing than the rest of the forums. We all make mistakes, since we’re all only human, but when somebody consistently uses incorrect spelling and grammar it makes roleplaying harder for everyone involved. Perfection isn’t expected, but decent writing is. If English isn’t your strong point, you should still put some extra care into your posts. It's more than likely that the extra effort will help you improve much faster.
  • If you need extra help with something, don't be afraid to ask a moderator. We're here to help too, not just enforce the rules.
  • Try not to be inactive. Some GMs demand you post at least once a day, which isn't really a lot. Others are more loose, but you should still post a decent amount as not to be unfair on the other players.
  • If you foresee being unable to post for an extended period, please notify us in the Main Out-of-Character thread. This will cut down on unnecessary duplicate posts and save you time. It is your responsibility to check that thread before assuming another player disappeared without notice.

Advice for creating a roleplay

First, ask yourself what type of roleplay you want to make. If you would like it to take place in the ‘Housepets!’ universe, you may wish to create a PF (Pet Friendly) roleplay and label it as such. If you want to make a PF roleplay, you should read over all the rules in the PF Main OOC. The page provides basically everything you’d need to know about PF. If you want to know anything else, however, feel free to ask a roleplaying or global moderator. We've been doing this for a while, and more than likely know how to help.

If you would like to make a roleplay that isn’t Pet Friendly, you should describe it very clearly so that potential players can understand your intentions for the world they would be playing in. You may use parts of prior roleplays for your RP, from the ground rules to character sheets. This choice gives you more freedom, but could make matters more difficult if you want to create something significantly different from the roleplays that already exist. Of course, the maximum forum rating is still PG-13, and all the forum rules still apply. Please do not create a roleplay for the sole purpose of roleplaying with no rules.

In both cases, the more detail going into the OOC, the better. Normally, the first post should include:
  • A description of the setting, as in-depth as you wish.
  • A list of the relevant rules to be followed for that particular roleplay.
  • Number of players involved, and how many slots are open (remember that more slots means more roleplayers and characters to keep track of).
  • A list of active players and their characters, updated as players join and leave
That said, it could pretty much include anything you want it to. A map of the setting is seen sometimes, and is often very helpful. If your roleplay includes keeping track of items held by players, it may be wise to keep a spreadsheet or item list updated so that the players may know their options.

Next, don't be afraid to suggest rules that you think may improve the section. Please post here about it if you choose to suggest one. Us moderators will definitely review them and see if we can't make everyone's lives better with them. You're all bright people.

Last, but definitely not least, have fun!

--------------------------------------------

There is currently a limit on the number of RPs that are active on this forum. For now, there are no open spaces available. Our apologies for any inconvenience.
Dissension

Re: Roleplaying Section Rules - Updated!

Post by Dissension »

Please see the bold entry above for the most recent update, pertaining to notification of inactivity.

Additionally, please be aware that use of the word 'hell' as profanity is not allowed and your posts may be edited or deleted if you use it as such.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
D-Singer

Post by D-Singer »

Dissension wrote:Please see the bold entry above for the most recent update, pertaining to notification of inactivity.

Additionally, please be aware that use of the word 'hell' as profanity is not allowed and your posts may be edited or deleted if you use it as such.
I've already been told otherwise about this once, but just to be sure does this apply to the word in general or only when it's used as a curse?"
Richardson Valley RP: Blood
Edge City RP: Zaya & Cruiser
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

only used as a curse. If the word itself when referring to the place were not allowed, the censor would still be catching it.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

What's that, another update? It's for the same rule. Please don't post in the thread for every game you participate in if you're going to be gone. That is most certainly pointless and will result in your message(s) being deleted.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
karowolf

Post by karowolf »

ok that went over my head can some one dum it down plz
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

erm, what exactly are you asking? I don't quite understand. If you mean Dissention's post, we basically updated the rules twice in a row. We added a rule, and then changed it again a day or so later. It's the one in bold in the first post.
XxCyberGamerxX

Post by XxCyberGamerxX »

(i just new to this) im a suppose to ask Tha Housefox to join?
Gamers have lifes its called a 1-up.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

no, you need to ask him or raccoon if you want to make your own neighborhood.

to join an existing neighborhood, you only need approval from that neighborhood's GM, or a majority vote of the members of that neighborhood depending on that neighborhood's preference.

unless there's a new rule I don't know about.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

*raises paw* can I have an appearance of an OOC character from my fanfic in Sunset Plateau? I'm asking here because I'm not sure if it's the level of question that must be first approved by the mods and then, eventually, by the GM.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

valerio wrote:*raises paw* can I have an appearance of an OOC character from my fanfic in Sunset Plateau? I'm asking here because I'm not sure if it's the level of question that must be first approved by the mods and then, eventually, by the GM.
...No one answered this... Why has no one answered this...

Ok, whether or not a character can be introduced is up to the GM. Mods only really step in when forum rules are being broken or guidance is needed. And if it's a character you wrote up, I don't see why you can't use it: people do that all the time anyway...
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
69eist

Post by 69eist »

So um, we're allowed to post ideas of a RP here? I want to try making one.
My Personas

Remember the past to understand the present. That way, we can look forward to the future.
TheInsaneMaster

Post by TheInsaneMaster »

So, do I need to PM a mod about a RP idea before making the OOC? I have an idea for a RP, that I might make someday.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

yeah, It's usually best to ask a moderator before you do anything with an idea for a neighborhood. If the mod thinks the idea is different enough (or other RPs are full enough) to warrant it being made, they'll tell you to post about it in the main OOC to see if there's enough interest to make it work. Once enough people have made character sheets for the suggested neighborhood, then the OOC can be made.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
TheInsaneMaster

Is that "there are currently no slots avaitable true"? I have an idea of an Pet Friendly neighborhood.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

If the idea for the neighborhood is interesting enough we'll make an exception, we basically mean that there aren't any slots left for more average neighborhoods.\

unless I'm wrong and the slots weren't filled when the last few neighborhoods started.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
TheInsaneMaster

Well, i have 2 ideas now. One would be some sort of wilderness or forest neighborhood, where the pets and their owners would live at some huge forest. The other one is some sort of fantasy world neighborhood.
69eist

Post by 69eist »

My idea is a group of hollywood pet stars. There are two main tv shows and the casts of both shows are pets but both of them are competing with one another. It's inspired by sunny with a chance.
My Personas

Remember the past to understand the present. That way, we can look forward to the future.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Sorry guys, I didn't notice this conversation was going on until just now. I feel like there's a rule that we talked about as Mods but forgot to post that needs to be re-clarified.

If you want to start a new neighborhood, you should actually just post in the Main OOC. You don't need to ask a moderator to talk about your RP idea, you just need a moderator to approve it before you actually start.

For non-PF RPs, create a new thread in the OOC noting your interest.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
69eist

Post by 69eist »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:Sorry guys, I didn't notice this conversation was going on until just now. I feel like there's a rule that we talked about as Mods but forgot to post that needs to be re-clarified.

If you want to start a new neighborhood, you should actually just post in the Main OOC. You don't need to ask a moderator to talk about your RP idea, you just need a moderator to approve it before you actually start.

For non-PF RPs, create a new thread in the OOC noting your interest.
What's the difference between PF and non-PF RPs?
My Personas

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

PF is in the Housepets universe, in a pet friendly neighborhood

non-PF includes the pony RP, and any SRPs (which in case you don't know is an RP centered around a single storyline and only lasts as long as that storyline does)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
69eist

Post by 69eist »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:PF is in the Housepets universe, in a pet friendly neighborhood

non-PF includes the pony RP, and any SRPs (which in case you don't know is an RP centered around a single storyline and only lasts as long as that storyline does)
Um, I still don't understand, sorry for sounding dense.
My Personas

Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

69eist wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:PF is in the Housepets universe, in a pet friendly neighborhood

Non-PF RP doesn't follow the rules and canon of the Housepet's universe, as written by Rick.
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
69eist

Post by 69eist »

Keeshah wrote:
69eist wrote:

Non-PF RP doesn't follow the rules and canon of the Housepet's universe, as written by Rick.
Where can I find the list of rules for PF and Non-PF RPs?
My Personas

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

the first post in this thread tells you where you can find the rules for the PF RP's

non-PF RPs have their rules in the first post of their individual OOC threads, which can all be found here
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

What if I want to create a sort-of "choose your own adventure" style game, combined with "story starters"? Also, what if I only want to put in character number limits as the story progresses? For example, say I want to create a "wild west" adventure, starting with a single player/character and growing from there... Start with a short bio of the main character and introduce a "story starter" plot...
Example:
Chez is a grey tabby with a wild past...etc etc etc...
Chez gets off the train and walks into town at sunset...etc...he walks into the Palace Saloon, looking for the fuzzball who asked him to come. He approaches the bartender...

Then someone else would introduce the bartender with a short bio, and another "story starter." ...

Cosgrove is a boxer with a decent temper, but when he goes off...etc etc etc...

Cosgrove looks at the stranger, wondering how many holes he'll put in the floor...etc. As the stranger approaches his bar, he asks, "What'll it...

Story continues until end of conversation, and then another character comes in. Again a short bio is given, and another conversation follows. Then say the main plot is introduced, causing the main character to form a gang of five members. Up until this point these four additional slots haven't been created because there was no need for them. The story continues until the gang meets other characters, at which point more slots open.

Has this type of system been used? Could it be allowed? In my game I'd rather not have all the characters introduced before the gameplay begins, but during play, as you would see in an actual movie or tv show. It would also allow, near as I can tell, new users to join after the game has started so that anyone can join at any point, even during battles. For example, a new player might create a character who jumps in during the middle of a showdown, trying to protect his store windows from getting shot up in the crossfire. That's just an example, but it shows how I'd allow new characters to jump in.

One more question: what's the rule on in-character user profiles? For example I'm TheOne, but what if I made a Chez profile strictly for gameplay? Is that a "don't go there" thing or would it be allowed?
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Thanks for your interest in the RPs, TheOne.

Unfortunately we don't feel that that style of RP is workable as it would get confusing with the sheer number of players you'd end up with as capping the number of players would be difficult, and as GMing would also be difficult since everyone would be doing their own thing. Sorry.

As to the other question, alt accounts are also not allowed as they could also cause confusion and needless cluttering of the servers. However, if you did wish to change your username, that can be arranged by PMing either Diss or Rick.

Sorry we couldn't be more obliging and please don't hesitate to ask if you've got any more questions.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Hlaoroo wrote:Unfortunately we don't feel that that style of RP is workable as it would get confusing with the sheer number of players you'd end up with as capping the number of players would be difficult,...
I don't want to argue, but I do want to calmly debate this point. I didn't mean to say that anyone could create a new main or secondary character at any time, but only tertiary characters could be introduced. And when they're inserted they could be easily dismissed in-game. To use my example from before where a new character interrupts a showdown, the new character would be limited to words only and be unable to act against any current characters. And in response to interruptions the current characters could give a quick response, either accepting or rejecting the new character. To make the idea focused, here's the situation as it would happen:

Chez: Your hold on Dry Gulch ends today, Big Bad!

Thomas is the son a local shop owner, and he notices something. So he runs between the two shooters and raises his arms.

Thomas: Can you take this outside of town, please? If either of you miss, someone could get hurt, or windows could get destroyed. Glass is scarce in these parts!

(Two options...option one: acceptance)

Chez: That sounds reasonable. What say you, Big Bad?

Big Bad: I never miss, but there ain't no sense in having you shoot up my town. Let's take this to the Miller Farm.

(Option two: rejection)

Chez: Get out of the way, kid! I never miss!

So as I see it there's a reasonable way to control interruptions as they happen. Also, even though I would allow interjection of ideas through new characters, the main cast would be limited. As I said, main and secondary characters would be introduced as gameplay goes along, with limits according to the plot. I would also encourage the creation of tertiary characters at random times. That way people don't get left out.
Hlaoroo wrote:...and as GMing would also be difficult since everyone would be doing their own thing. Sorry. ...
I'm a newb to this, so I'll admit my lack of knowledge to the specifics, but that's where game rules come in. I've already mentioned my rule that randomly inserted characters can only have short speaking roles. (Internal monologues would be allowed to a degree as well.) I haven't mentioned though, I would also make a rule that only things relevant to the plot would be allowed. For example, during the showdown I wouldn't allow a side story about what's going on at the silver mine...unless Big Bad has sent his gang to blow it up...
Basically my main rule is that the plot comes first.
Hlaoroo wrote:...As to the other question, alt accounts are also not allowed as they could also cause confusion and needless cluttering of the servers. However, if you did wish to change your username, that can be arranged by PMing either Diss or Rick. ...
That's understandable. I thought that was the rule, but I couldn't remember for sure. Not interested in messing with my username now, but thanks.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

It sounds like what you're talking about now are guest characters.
From the main OOC:
Roleplaying Forums Main Out Of Character Thread wrote:Guest characters are the most minor of characters who are brought in only for an arc or two. They may include, for example, a visiting relative or someone relevant to the current arc that will not be needed again.
They're a character that's brought in to further a scene or impact a scene and then left in the background or never used again.
Or perhaps an NPC:
Roleplaying Forums Main Out Of Character Thread wrote:NPC (non-player characters) characters are minor or supporting characters that are usually created and controlled by the GM although they may be delegated to other players, and that may be used to further storylines without impacting a player’s allowed number of characters.
Both kinds of characters are used all the time in virtually every RP and need no special mod approval.

As best I can understand, what you're describing is the same rules as any other RP on these forums would have with the only difference being you'd allow the players a slightly higher level of freedom with their RPs.

If you can come up with a unique proposal for a RP then we'd be glad to hear it but I can't approve just an iteration of the rules, sorry. Perhaps try developing your Wild West idea into a proper concept of a township and back story and whatnot and then submitting it via PM. I'd suggest reading the first post of some of the other OOCs which can be found here to see how it's done and also make sure you read the first three posts in the main OOC to make sure you've got a good handle on everything. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

If I'm understanding your suggestion right and you plan on doing this as a choose your own adventure thing (where you make the story and the other "players" suggest actions/choose from possible actions that you then write the consequencs of), I think it might be more suited to the fan projects section (or media median if it has nothing to do with the Housepets! universe)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
King Bailey

Post by King Bailey »

Can I make a new RP even though I'm not an admin?
I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Absolutely!

If you're intending it for four players or less then you can go ahead and write about it in the main OOC and see who's interested. When you get some interest, then you can start the game. No need for an individual OOC thread for these small ones, and you can play in any universe you want including in Babylon Gardens.

If you want a bigger RP with five players or more then you need to write a description of the RP and send it to one of us mods via PM. We're not allowing any more big Housepets! universe RPs because we already have enough of those and we know from experience that too many of them means they start to lose interest because they're all the same. You can make a big RP in any other universe you like though including a universe of your own creation. Once you've written the description of the setting of your RP we mods will review it just to make sure it's not too similar to anything we already have and if we give it the go-ahead then you can advertise it in the main OOC and see if you can get enough interest in it from the players.

I hope this helps but if you need any more clarification or if you have any questions then don't hesitate to ask!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

King Bailey

Post by King Bailey »

Awesome!

So.. how do I make one? :oops:
I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I'll walk you through it if you like. :)

The first thing to do is to decide on how many players you want to have and on what the setting should be. Have you any ideas for those yet?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

SerperiorMew

Post by SerperiorMew »

Dissension wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:19 am Please see the bold entry above for the most recent update, pertaining to notification of inactivity.

Was reading this from past to present and saw this... I just wanted to say that I gathered as such from Rick himself inserting 'heck' into the comic when we all know what it is.

It's kinda cute, if I had to give a more embarrassing opinion.
To be able to see both the good and the bad while still retaining hope, that is what we need to strive to do in everyday life above all else. Live, learn, laugh and roll with the punches.

-SerperiorMew