Non-HPU: Beacon of Hope

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: Non-HPU: Beacon of Hope

Post by Hlaoroo »

Cailean clinks his glass against Sarah's.
"An' tae th' memories o' times gone by." he replies, drinking deeply.

~~~~~~~~
"Aye, but Ah meant haow it all started. Did ye start wi' people wantin' tae join th' ship as soon as it was ready or did it tak' a while tae get interest in th' ship? Haow did this all come tae be?" The collie pauses to take a drink and then continues a little more hesitantly.
"Er, fergive mah curiousity. We dinnae hae anythin' like this in our universe. Feel free tae stop me if Ah ask anythin' inappropriate."
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Y
CyberDragon wrote:"Indeed!" Old Jaken said cheerfully. "It seems I'm moving to the Beacon. One second my house was fine, the next it was smashed by falling space debris. In the meantime, I've decided to help where I can."
Rika sighed, then nodded. "Fair enough. Sorry to hear about your home though, and thank you for pitching in, too. These people are thankful as well, I'm sure." She replies. "But, you kind of didn't answer my question of - "

She was cut off by Eira bringing up yet another patient.
CyberDragon wrote:"Hey, Rika. I've got another patient for you. Lots of broken bones. Also, I've brought you some help. I don't know if you've been introduced, but these are..." She pointed at the clones. "Um... shoot. Which ones were you guys again? It's hard to tell..."
Rika looked over shoulder and gave a short nod before turning back to Old Jaken. "*Ahem* Well then, sorry to cut this short but I'm needed right now. It was a pleasure, Mr Montoni." She said finally.

Rika then turned her attention to the severely injured Ceilcan, looking them over before she acknowledged the clone doctors and Eira. "Anyway, thank you Eira, and greetings to you two, too. I'd like to save introductions until after we've got this patient properly stabilised, if that's alright." She said simply. "Now, do you guys know roughly where the most damage is? If there's as much as I think there is, we'll need to fix most of it before I can give them my treatment.."

------
CyberDragon wrote:"Excellent! I'm sure he will love to meet you. Once he gets back, I'm not sure he'll fully know what to do with his newly gained autonomy. I don't even know if he realizes that with sentience, he also gains all of the rights and privileges of an everyday citizen. It should be interesting, seeing how he interacts with the civilian world." Hivemind thought out loud. "I will suggest he meet with you two first. Maybe you can help teach him how to be a everyday person when he isn't working."
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"I was remembering Silverwolf," Keeva said before looking to Hivemind. "On the 'HAVEN there's a Holographic Entertainment room. One of the entertainments is a theme park. Most of the 'inhabitants' were pre-programmed to always do the same thing. Cyclical. But SilverWolf was different. He was designed to know what ride was best for you and he began to notice everyone around him kept doing the same thing. We didn't catch on to the fact he was becoming sentient until he was part way there and thinking he was going mad. We managed to get him calmed down but the program had begun corrupting the computer in the rest of the ship. We tried to save him, well the Scottish Collies did as they know computers, but it wasn't possible. So I don't want to fail Predator. Especially as I like him."
"I'm... sorry to hear about that. I'm afraid there isn't much I can do though. Rest assured, nothing like that will happen to Predator." Hivemind reassured Keeva.
Dan went quiet as Keeva explained the Silverwolf incident. "Mmm, Yeah.." He replied before Hive spoke. "..How are you so sure his data will not corrupt, or anything like that? He became sentient due to some kind of error, correct? How can you be sure that it's not going to corrupt or glitch?" He added after he spoke. "I would think intricate code such as AI is very suceptable to errors and corruption unless it is well controlled.."
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
Deske

Post by Deske »

Collins grinned at Eira as she called over Rika, "I'm Collins, the workaholic is Norwood. Good point though, we should do something to differentiate ourselves a little. Anyway!" He turned to Rika as Norwood began pulling new syringes filled with some sort of white liquid out, "Pelvic area sustained the most damage, 13 fractures, some some oblique, some comminuted."
"Recommended course of action is to move the bones back in place before trying to quick set them. Alternatively, we could quick set them, transport him out, rebreak them and reset them once we get to a higher echelon of service," Norwood added without looking up as he assembled what looked like some sort of handheld scanner.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Seena swallowed as the Sparrow swooped and Sana whooped. The little Fennec had been expecting to spend time at a theme park on Earth but duty had intervened so this was as close to it as she was going to get for now. She laughed as they landed and then slipped off the booster seat onto her feet and headed out the back. "It's a good thing I remembered my badge," she said aloud as she looked at the half dozen uniformed hunters pointing firearms at them. "Um, Agent Sana," she called out, holding it up and failing to sound intimidating. "IOC? here to see Sheriff Messalca?"
A middle aged Vixen, slightly smaller than the others and possibly a little fond of the local poultry, put her hand out to signal the others to stay back before she stepped from behind cover. "I'm Messalca," she said. "Whaddya want?"
"Sheriff Messalca..." Hivemind said, stepping forward. "I am Hivemind of the Beacon of Hope. We are here investigating an anomaly in a case we believe to be related to the invasion of Celica. Is there somewhere we could speak in private?"

---------------------
Welsh Halfwit wrote:With that finally sorted, Corp looked at the menu, considering the Ribs. If a Shark liked them they were probably good.
Buster wrote:With June returning to her seat it quickly becomes apparent that she doesn't realize your not supposed to eat the rib bone as well, as she's making short work of those.
Legotron123 wrote:Liz didn’t seem all that surprised by June chewing the bone, at most reacting with a small ”Hmm” before looking back at the menu. She simply figured it was part of the normal diet for her species.
Sal-Hleel glared at June out of the corner of his eyes. He decided he was in the mood for terran seafood, so ordered a whole salmon from the nervous looking human waiter. The waiter seemed so afraid of Sal-Hleel he was about to rush off without taking the other orders and get Sal-Hleel's order as if afraid not getting the Varanian his food fast enough would result in Sal-Hleel snacking on the patrons. Then he remembered the others and quickly started taking their orders.

Sal-Hleel huffed. "Timid little hatchling... baby." He corrected himself when he remembered humans don't hatch from eggs. "On Varan, such obvious fear display would be end of freedom or end of life. He lucky he live here."

---------------------
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"New portal coming up," Jaken enthused, trotting over to the new location and rubbing 'his' hand paws together. "And is a good name for them the PopperDocs," he asked, regarding the clones.
Deske wrote:"PopperDocs?" Norwood raised an eyebrow.
"I have no idea what that means..."
~\Rook/~ wrote:Rika sighed, then nodded. "Fair enough. Sorry to hear about your home though, and thank you for pitching in, too. These people are thankful as well, I'm sure." She replies. "But, you kind of didn't answer my question of - "

She was cut off by Eira bringing up yet another patient.

Rika looked over shoulder and gave a short nod before turning back to Old Jaken. "*Ahem* Well then, sorry to cut this short but I'm needed right now. It was a pleasure, Mr Montoni." She said finally.

Rika then turned her attention to the severely injured Ceilcan, looking them over before she acknowledged the clone doctors and Eira. "Anyway, thank you Eira, and greetings to you two, too. I'd like to save introductions until after we've got this patient properly stabilised, if that's alright." She said simply. "Now, do you guys know roughly where the most damage is? If there's as much as I think there is, we'll need to fix most of it before I can give them my treatment.."
Deske wrote:Collins grinned at Eira as she called over Rika, "I'm Collins, the workaholic is Norwood. Good point though, we should do something to differentiate ourselves a little. Anyway!" He turned to Rika as Norwood began pulling new syringes filled with some sort of white liquid out, "Pelvic area sustained the most damage, 13 fractures, some some oblique, some comminuted."
"Recommended course of action is to move the bones back in place before trying to quick set them. Alternatively, we could quick set them, transport him out, rebreak them and reset them once we get to a higher echelon of service," Norwood added without looking up as he assembled what looked like some sort of handheld scanner.
"I can help set the bones." Eira said. "Organic tissue has water in it that I can manipulate. Even bones are about 31% water. You might want to give him a pain killer first though."

---------------------
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Excellent, Mr Hive, sir," Keeva said, irrationally wondering if she should salute. "I suppose we'd better go watch the film in the meantime, yeah? It any good?"
~\Rook/~ wrote:Dan went quiet as Keeva explained the Silverwolf incident. "Mmm, Yeah.." He replied before Hive spoke. "..How are you so sure his data will not corrupt, or anything like that? He became sentient due to some kind of error, correct? How can you be sure that it's not going to corrupt or glitch?" He added after he spoke. "I would think intricate code such as AI is very suceptable to errors and corruption unless it is well controlled.."
"Simple. He developed his sentience fully while under the influence of a probability manipulating power. In other words, he had no issues with errors during the development of his sentience because he got lucky. Only, he didn't get lucky. He manipulated luck so that he would be lucky... I'll stop now. Point is, he got a power that gave him a 100% probability of success, and used that power to develop his sentient mind. So... really it isn't simple and we should just go with the explanation of 'a wizard did it.'"

---------------------
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Climb up," Hannabelle mock complained as she started down again, rifle stored on her back. "Climb back down again. Good job I'm fit."
The two snipers made their way to the silo MT and Chris just flew down. Gear looked over the edge and saw the mech at the bottom. "'Scuse me..." Gear said before picking Hannabelle up bridal style and jumping down the silo.

Jump jets emerged from his back and started up, slowing their descent until Gear tapped lightly on the ground. He set Hannabelle down.

---------------------
Buster wrote:>>Just make sure you can seal it behind you. those heavy silo doors are gonna be our friends now that this is turning into an extermination mission. I'm starting to think the elevator and silo being the only intact ways down i could pick up earlier was an attempt at containment, not collateral damage...
>>Now if you'll excuse me, i need to reposition and make sure nothing tries to climb the elevator shaft, with it wedged open due to the cable failure.

Disconnecting from the comms, kobor asked, "Hey predator, you you have anything for cutting concrete cleanly? or should we just digitize it? we need to widen a hallway without causing excessive collateral damage." all while Talya was at the controls, heading for the main entrance, and stating to plot out what can be safely cut away to give clear line of sight with the elevators.

"With the surface level in ruins at least we don't have to worry about it being load bearing."
"Not anymore, I'm afraid." Predator replied. "I had a sword that would work, but the Warlord nicked it from me. It's somewhere back in the capitol... I guess we could try digitizing it, but that will only work with loose chunks. The machine won't take part of a whole. Not unless we want to try digging with my jaws."

---------------------
Deske wrote:Chris preemptively prepared the kinetic weapons systems for their imminent fight.
MT Pried open the door and stepped through before noticing Hannabelle and Gear. He held the door open for them to enter.

---------------------
Hlaoroo wrote:"Aye, but Ah meant haow it all started. Did ye start wi' people wantin' tae join th' ship as soon as it was ready or did it tak' a while tae get interest in th' ship? Haow did this all come tae be?" The collie pauses to take a drink and then continues a little more hesitantly.
"Er, fergive mah curiousity. We dinnae hae anythin' like this in our universe. Feel free tae stop me if Ah ask anythin' inappropriate."
Hivemind waved a hand as the waiter took orders for food and walked off. "You're not saying anything inappropriate. These are all fair questions. At first, we had a few people join the Beacon from the planets that contributed to it the most. Then, after the ship's grand entrance where it smashed through Varanian lines during their invasion of Earth and promptly played a key role in repelling the invasion, interest in the ship naturally skyrocketed, and we got a lot more people wanting to join. The more worlds we saved, the better we treated the people both on and off the ship, the more interest we generated."

---------------------
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Right," Jenny breathed, "Sorry about that. Error in localisation. Did learn things though," she added, taking up a combat position. "They adapt quickly. They couldn't get through the field so they went through the wall. They're tough. Oh, and a possible thing. One of them isn't interested in us. There may be someone else on this level it's hunting."
"I think they just lost track of you..." Recon said, quietly and unsure. "But I could be wrong..."
Legotron123 wrote:”Does anyone recognize any of the other species used to make these things? It would be nice to know what kind of traits and resistances they might have.” Quint texted to the others, not wanting to make any noise that might alert the creatures to their location. ”Also, if we see any sign that these things can reproduce, I say we get out of here and pull the same orbital bombardment we tried on the Warlord. Wipe every trace of these things off the face of the planet.”
"I know they somehow got a hold of havoch genetics. I can tell by their horns." Gadgeteer whispered. "To know how bad that is, havoch are the only animal so highly respected for it's strength that it is a capitol offense to hunt one. Keep in mind, in Varan it wasn't even illegal to hunt other Varanians until the Beacon basically forced them to make that a law. They are nearly unstoppable and nearly invulnerable. They are so strong, even that egotistical self-important megalomaniac warlord, Havoch... the one we just fought? Yeah, he named himself after them. Pompous *******..."
Deske wrote:"Thanks," Ulrich said with a smile as he regained his bearings. He looked down the hall that the advancing Stalkers had decided to make their entrance and prepared a small orb of light that, when in contact with the creature, would quickly expand to cover it's body, hopefully immobilize it.
Gkkkkkk.... The creature looked curiously at the orb, before ducking under it. Then, it saw Ulrich. KRRRRIIIIIIKIKIKIIIII It let out a shrill, clicking shriek and charged, running straight for Ulrich...
Buster wrote:with jenny and ulrich hauled back, that puts kol furthest out front.

out front in this case being about 5m from the rest of the group, so not really that far.

because of her position kol can't actually see the creature, any more than it can her, around a corner, but she can hear it. the moment the Stalker puts it's head where kol can see it from her position behind the corner, she's swinging the power axe with everything she has, hoping to do enough damage to remove it from it's neck.
... And runs right into Kol's swing. The monster lets out a horrible, raspy gurgle as the axe embedded itself into it's throat, before it fell to the ground, twitching slightly.

GRAAAAAAAHGLGLGLGLGL! KREEEEEEEE! The sounds of the second one reverberated down the hallway. The second monster was on it's way.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

”Me and Kolt have faced many enemies with claims of near invulnerablity. Taking down these beasts should be no different.” Quint said as he stepped out of his hiding spot. As he walked into the hallway, his suit started changing. Wings grew off the back, armor panels shifted and opened in places up to reveal all sorts of weaponry, while in other spots the weaponry simply grew out of nothing, giving him everything from shoulder cannons to elbow blades to some sort of oddly shaped protrusion out of his forehead. ”Let me handle this one. Kolt has gotten most of the combat today, and I would like a chance to test out this suit for myself.”
-
”To be fair, you are a member of a species known for being violent and cannibalistic.” Liz said, placing an order for a soda, some curly fries, and an absolutely massive hamburger, before turning back to Sal-Hleel. ”Plus, he’s a waiter on what I’m told is one of the safest spaceships in the universe. I doubt he’s had to face a lot of people who might want him dead.”
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

with time being of the essence, and her position revealed by the downed creature she's standing over, kol doesn't attempt to get the power axe free, instead drawing and starting the rotors on both chain axes, and shifting into a defensive stance. admittedly with the right one being over her shoulder rather than in her main hand for that side, it's a tad lopsided.

- - - - -

"biting chunks out of the building to clear a killbox will be slow. but i don't see much other choice..." Kobor grumbled as the two used predator to get to work breaking up and digitizing anything that stood in the way of properly covering the elevators.

- - - - -

at the mention of luck wizards june sneezed, despite being in an entirely different part of the ship.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Right," Messalca said, spitting out a wad of something red onto the grass. She stepped forward to offer a hand. "Probably best to go back to my office then. Away from prying eyes, Lingza," she added, emphasising the last three words as her eyes flicked to a young male who was obviously surreptitiously taking notes. "Local press," she explained.
"You have a shop in town for supplies," Sana asked.
"No," Messalca joked, "we're the only town in the universe without one. So this is a professional visit AND a grocery run?"
---------------------
"It means they pop outta no-where," the Not-Jaken said before hopping through the portal to 'sniff' for scents.
--------------------
"So how many of them do you have here," Keeva asked with a grin. "Wizards, I mean?"
-------------------
Jenny kept her aim steady in case Kolt - or Quint - needed her.
------------------
"Ha," Hannabelle whooped as they dropped, "you're supposed to get mated before you do that! Although," she added as they landed, "as we didn't cross a threshold, I suppose we get away with it."
------------------
Corp ordered the ribs. With barbecue sauce.
------------------
Sarah agreed and nodded a salute to Cailean - and Conall as well - before taking in some drink.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"Sounds like it was meant tae be then. Can Ah ask what inspired it in th' first place? Ye must hae had a reason tae invest sae much intae it." Conall asks.

~~~~~~~~
Cailean returns the salute and also drinks before his ears prick up at a familiar skirl from the large TV over the bar. A soccer match is about to begin and as one all the Scots in the pub stand and belt out their national anthem along with the crowd in the stadium on the TV. Cailean joins in too, but Conall doesn't, not noticing the ruckus with his attention on Hivemind.
"O Flower o' Scotland,
When will we see
Yer like again,
That fought and died for,
Yer wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood agin' him (agin' who?),
Prood Edward's army,
And sent him hamewart,*
Tae think again!"

The border collie's tail is wagging as he takes his seat again.
"Och, Ah've missed tha'." he grins at Sarah before cocking an ear again as a fanfare sounds.
"Ah think it's yer turn naow, hen." he says as the English fans launch into "God Save The Queen" as is traditional before soccer matches despite it not actually being the national anthem of England.

*Hamewart = homewards
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Ah 'ope yer good wi' donnybrooks, Hive, luv," Sarah said, sighing and standing up, "'coz I'm about ta be lynch'd like." So saying, the lone voice in the bar spoke up for the southern British nation in a confident (but slightly off-key) manner, leaving out the sixth verse as the tune didn't go that far. ((It has a line about crushing rebellious Scots)) he had a grin on her face the entire time as one or two tried to drown her out.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Deske

Post by Deske »

"He's already got a painkiller in him," Norwood stated, having put together the machine. "Fire away if you know where all the fragments go. Try not to push anything through his organs, alright?"

------

"They do not seem so unstoppable with their heads nearly separated from their neck. Is it going to regenerate or something?"

------

I'm torn between wanting there to be more because I want part of the action and being glad that there's only two because they're still dangerous.
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana waited as the first one was dispatched, seeing how seemingly easy that went she decided to not fire plasma at the creature. Instead, she holstered her rifled and awaited the creature to come into view, readying herself to use her telekinesis to throw it against the wall and hold it there for Kolt to take care of. "I'm ready to immobilize it. Get ready to go in for the kill." She whispered. While she heard Quint's request for combat, she prefered to avoid injuries against an enemy with an unknown threat level.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"many things go down easier if ambushed. the axe blade should have burned through the neck completely, though, not got stuck. Durable hide." kol ponits out, reminding Tatiana that despite being an energy based blade, the power axe was currently embedded in the downed one. "I've seen that thing burn metals my claws can't even chip."
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Legotron123 wrote:”To be fair, you are a member of a species known for being violent and cannibalistic.” Liz said, placing an order for a soda, some curly fries, and an absolutely massive hamburger, before turning back to Sal-Hleel. ”Plus, he’s a waiter on what I’m told is one of the safest spaceships in the universe. I doubt he’s had to face a lot of people who might want him dead.”
"I don't want him dead." Sal-Hleel said. "Any more than I wish shame upon me. Warlord Sep-Heth ordered me to follow laws and orders of swarm-person... Hivemind. I study human culture as field interpreter. If he do bad job, I do what human do. I give him pigeon and not come back."

----------------------
Buster wrote:"biting chunks out of the building to clear a killbox will be slow. but i don't see much other choice..." Kobor grumbled as the two used predator to get to work breaking up and digitizing anything that stood in the way of properly covering the elevators.
As they started biting and tearing off more and more chunks of the building to clear the way, predator noticed a slight problem. "Kobor, Talya, I'm... getting kind of full. Overloading the power source will be less than ideal. Perhaps there is a way we could burn off some of the excess power?"

----------------------
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Right," Messalca said, spitting out a wad of something red onto the grass. She stepped forward to offer a hand. "Probably best to go back to my office then. Away from prying eyes, Lingza," she added, emphasising the last three words as her eyes flicked to a young male who was obviously surreptitiously taking notes. "Local press," she explained.
"You have a shop in town for supplies," Sana asked.
"No," Messalca joked, "we're the only town in the universe without one. So this is a professional visit AND a grocery run?"
"Purely professional for me. Agent Sana was just hoping to find a certain drink that can't be found on the Beacon while we are here." Hivemind said as he followed Messalca. Once they got to where they could speak privately, Hivemind said what they were there for. "We are currently investigating the attack on the Gastanvar family, particularly an anomaly we noticed in the files regarding the father, Keldar. We believe this case is directly related to the invasion of Celica by the Varanian forces."

----------------------
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"It means they pop outta no-where," the Not-Jaken said before hopping through the portal to 'sniff' for scents.
"I guess that makes sense. Don't go to far, Jaken."
Deske wrote:"He's already got a painkiller in him," Norwood stated, having put together the machine. "Fire away if you know where all the fragments go. Try not to push anything through his organs, alright?"
"Got it." Eira held out her icy hand, open palm facing toward the Celican. Then, there was a somewhat ugly sound that emanated from his body as all of his broken bones spontaneously snapped into their proper positions. "Bones are set. Doctors, if you could please administer the treatment?"

----------------------
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"So how many of them do you have here," Keeva asked with a grin. "Wizards, I mean?"
"Let's see..." Hivemind thought, taking the joking question maybe a bit too seriously. "Depends on how you define "Wizard" I suppose. If you mean a person with a magic-like ability to manipulate the physical world to their will in one way or another like with domain-telekinesis, then there are thousands. If you mean people who utilize specialized personal energy stores to give themselves limited reality-warping powers, which is the power we actually refer to as magic power, then the number is 123. Speaking of male individuals with that power who specifically call themselves "wizards", it's 42."

----------------------
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Ha," Hannabelle whooped as they dropped, "you're supposed to get mated before you do that! Although," she added as they landed, "as we didn't cross a threshold, I suppose we get away with it."
"Well, there's yer threshold, but I ain't carryin' ya over it." Gear joked back, pointing to the door MT was holding open. He ran through, gesturing for Hannabelle to follow.

There was a huge thud and the ground shook. Gear looked over and saw Titan was joining them since she wasn't able to fit in the elevator.
Deske wrote:I'm torn between wanting there to be more because I want part of the action and being glad that there's only two because they're still dangerous.
"If you hope for both, then you won't be disappointed... when... we......" MT had never been this close to Titan. He knew she was tall, but now that they were side-by-side, he realized that she actually towered over him, being at least a foot taller than he was. "... Anyway, if you hope for both, you will get one or the other and be able to enjoy it whichever the case." if titan doesn't literally step on them by accident first that is... he added the last bit mentally.

----------------------
Hlaoroo wrote:"Sounds like it was meant tae be then. Can Ah ask what inspired it in th' first place? Ye must hae had a reason tae invest sae much intae it." Conall asks.

~~~~~~~~
Cailean returns the salute and also drinks before his ears prick up at a familiar skirl from the large TV over the bar. A soccer match is about to begin and as one all the Scots in the pub stand and belt out their national anthem along with the crowd in the stadium on the TV. Cailean joins in too, but Conall doesn't, not noticing the ruckus with his attention on Hivemind.
"O Flower o' Scotland,
When will we see
Yer like again,
That fought and died for,
Yer wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood agin' him (agin' who?),
Prood Edward's army,
And sent him hamewart,*
Tae think again!"

The border collie's tail is wagging as he takes his seat again.
"Och, Ah've missed tha'." he grins at Sarah before cocking an ear again as a fanfare sounds.
"Ah think it's yer turn naow, hen." he says as the English fans launch into "God Save The Queen" as is traditional before soccer matches despite it not actually being the national anthem of England.

*Hamewart = homewards
"What inspired it? Well, at first it was going to be a multi-purpose trade, research, and colony vessel. A place where I could study the secrets of the universe to my heart's content, funded by intergalactic trade that I myself made affordable. It was also going to be smaller. Then, when the Varanians began their extended invasion of Earth, I had to change a lot." Hivemind explained. "I made it bigger, stronger, and tougher. I gave it shields that could let it fly through a star with no damage. I gave it weapons and armor that I had to develop myself because what already existed wasn't sufficient. Once the Varanians were repelled, I and five of the best heroes of that war joined together to form the Champions. This ship has been the base for the Champions ever since."
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Ah 'ope yer good wi' donnybrooks, Hive, luv," Sarah said, sighing and standing up, "'coz I'm about ta be lynch'd like." So saying, the lone voice in the bar spoke up for the southern British nation in a confident (but slightly off-key) manner, leaving out the sixth verse as the tune didn't go that far. ((It has a line about crushing rebellious Scots)) he had a grin on her face the entire time as one or two tried to drown her out.
There was definitely some rivalry among the patrons there, but it appeared to be mostly in good fun. Some tried to drown out Sarah's singing with a repeat of the Scottish National Anthem while others booed her, but while laughing and smiling. Apparently living on the Beacon does a good job of taking hostility out of even old rivalries.

----------------------
Legotron123 wrote:”Me and Kolt have faced many enemies with claims of near invulnerablity. Taking down these beasts should be no different.” Quint said as he stepped out of his hiding spot. As he walked into the hallway, his suit started changing. Wings grew off the back, armor panels shifted and opened in places up to reveal all sorts of weaponry, while in other spots the weaponry simply grew out of nothing, giving him everything from shoulder cannons to elbow blades to some sort of oddly shaped protrusion out of his forehead. ”Let me handle this one. Kolt has gotten most of the combat today, and I would like a chance to test out this suit for myself.”
GRRRAAAAAAHKKIKIKIKI the creature howled and clicked as it charged toward Kolt, armored arms in front of it in an effort to block incoming shots.
Buster wrote:with time being of the essence, and her position revealed by the downed creature she's standing over, kol doesn't attempt to get the power axe free, instead drawing and starting the rotors on both chain axes, and shifting into a defensive stance. admittedly with the right one being over her shoulder rather than in her main hand for that side, it's a tad lopsided.
Neon Icy Wings wrote:Tatiana waited as the first one was dispatched, seeing how seemingly easy that went she decided to not fire plasma at the creature. Instead, she holstered her rifled and awaited the creature to come into view, readying herself to use her telekinesis to throw it against the wall and hold it there for Kolt to take care of. "I'm ready to immobilize it. Get ready to go in for the kill." She whispered. While she heard Quint's request for combat, she prefered to avoid injuries against an enemy with an unknown threat level.
The creature pounced at Kolt/Quint but was thrown back against the wall when Tatiana used her telekinesis. GRRRAAAAAAAAARRRR! HSSSSSSK! The creature spat and hissed and roared in fury.
Buster wrote:"many things go down easier if ambushed. the axe blade should have burned through the neck completely, though, not got stuck. Durable hide." kol ponits out, reminding Tatiana that despite being an energy based blade, the power axe was currently embedded in the downed one. "I've seen that thing burn metals my claws can't even chip."
Deske wrote:"They do not seem so unstoppable with their heads nearly separated from their neck. Is it going to regenerate or something?"
As if on cue, the first creature started twitching again. It's bug-like arm waving around aimlessly, fingers grasping and flexing at air before they got hold of the axe embedded in the creature's throat. The monster started standing up, and it wrenched the axe out of it's neck, which healed almost immediately. More than that though, an armored, almost metallic plate formed on it's throat, and the creature's fur around it's neck grew into a long mane of steel-like spikes. The monster was adapting.

Kikikikikiki.... The creature got on all fours and started running, not at the team, but towards the door to the control room. The room that had the ability to control the tubes and their contents...

"NO! STOP THAT CREATURE!" Gadgeteer shouted. Recon bolted forward and touched the tips of both shock sticks to either side of where she assumed it's heart was and turned the weapons to maximum power. The creature seized up, it's eyes rolled back, and it collapsed onto the ground, completely still.

...At least, for a moment. The creature stirred again. Recon tried shocking it again only to discover it's skin was insulated now. "Eek!" She jumped back as the monster swiped it's long, sickle-like claws at her. But while the creature was distracted, Archangel flew around and blocked the door. KRSSSSSSK! The creature hissed at him and immediately lunged. Archangel grabbed the monster's arms, but the force of the creature slammed him against the door. "Could... use... a little help!" Archangel said as he wrestled with the Darwinian beast.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

"There it is," Ulrich said as a blue glow appeared between the creature and Archangel. The glow quickly grew into a thin sheet of light which wrapped it's way around Archangels hands. "Forgive me for not asking permission, my friend!" Ulrich shouted as the sheets encompassed the champions hands, then arms, augmenting their strength enough to crush the creatures arms. A needle of light formed just in front of the creatures mouth before shooting forward, forcing it's way down into it's mouth and beginning to expand outward in random directions, going through anything not deemed "Friendly."

------

Feeling a bit outclassed? Chris chuckled, "I gotta agree though, once she gets there, it's going to be over."

------

Doctor Collins quickly turned around and picked up the needle, pushing it into several injection sites until it was empty. Norwood followed up by slowly running the scanner over the Celicans pelvic area, a light hum coming from it. As he finished, the two used their cybernetic eyes scanner to ensure the job had been done correctly.
"Looking pretty good. Nice job," Collins said from his position over the patient.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

sheathing and retriving her weapons for the moment since she doubts they will have any better luck a second time, and heading over the one pinned against the wall, Kol proceeds to try and force-feed it a grenade.

- - - - -

"Then lets use that material. You've got my nanofab pattern library and Hivemind's drone software on board, and I've seen you rematerialize material in a different configuration than it came in as. How quickly can you make replicas of Halcyon's Prowler* product line?"

((*She's referring to a series of Hunter-Killer class drone from her own timeline. about about 1m tall, wildcat shaped, pneumatic claws and fangs, spine mounted weapon pod, HF tail blade.))
Last edited by Buster on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Using her captured firearm, Jenny fired on the creature being held against the wall by Tatiana's TK before she saw what Kol was up to. "Ulrich," she called, "soon as Kol gets her hand out of the way, invert a force field around that thing's head!"
---------------------------------
The NotJaken began tracking down the few scents he could make out in the rubble. Those he could help, he pulled or pushed through the portal. Those he couldn't, he closed their eyes. He set himself to the thought that he was Celican. This thing happened. No sense crying about it whilst there was work to be done. He almost believed himself and wondered if he would do in the future. "Could always talk to myself," he muttered, "or you," he added, realising he'd found a young Vixen with a broken leg who was breathing heavily and just looking at him with frightened eyes. "I'm a rescue party," he told her, squatting beside the girl. "Got one here!" he called, making her flinch and shake. "S'all right, S'all right, I'm with the Champions."
"L...L...Lyc'n," the girl stammered, shivering.
'Jaken' smiled. It was always him, he thought. "He's around up there, yeah. She's got a broke leg, I think," he added to his call. "I think." She nodded. "She's pretty sure."
"Socalising is as much a tactical move as anything,"Corp told Sal-Hleel. "Forms bonds and lets you see how others act when not 'on guard'."
Sana had decided to go visit the shop but Seena was still with Hive after deciding she probably wouldn't like half the products carried.
Messalca tutted as she entered her station. "Keldar Gastomar," she said. "There was a *********** of a case. Taken off me by the state police and dropped after certain samples 'vanished' between here and the city. But how does that link to an invasion?"
Hannabelle followed Gear through, telling herself she wasn't just going to follow this guy around... unless he was going the right way, of course.
--------------------------------
"42," Keeva queried. "isn't that the answer to life, the universe and everything?"
-------------------------------
Sarah bowed to her crowd with a flourish and sat back down. She mouthed to Cailean that it was One-all.
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"Angelic!" Cailean smiles at Sarah when she retakes her seat. "'Tis just a shame yer nae frae Scotland or ye'd make a fine wife." he jokes.

~~~~~~~~
"Sae who are th' Varanians an' why did they invade? What's Earth like in this universe?"
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Quint looked at the rapid adaptation of the creature Kol was tangling with and grimaced. ”It seems we do not have as much time to play with these things as I thought. I shall have to finish this quickly.” He said, before executing a number of different actions in a row. First, he pulled out one of the spatial warping grenades Mythos had given him, set it on a twenty second timer, then shoved it down the creatures throat. Mythos had said in no uncertain terms that setting one off inside a living creature would subject that creature to a horrible death, so hopefully it worked on Lusus Naturae here. Second, he shoved the cannon on his left arm into its mouth and opened fire, sending jets of flame down its throat and scarring any flesh it touched. Finally, a long spike like object grew out of his right wrist and was subsequently shoved into the creatures neck, sending enough electricity to jumpstart an average emergency generator into its body.
-
”Well I know you don’t want him dead, but he doesn’t. As far as he knows, you were thinking about having him as an appetizer.” Liz said as she waited for her food to arrive. ”From what I understand, most people don’t exactly have the fondest view of your species, so you’re going to have to deal with reactions like that a lot while you’re here.”
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Why would you want to do that? Human kinda tastes gross, and you wind up with bits of nylon diving suit stuck in your teeth." June decides to chip in, drawing on memories from her host body in her attempt to add some insightful commentary. completely misreading the mood of the comments.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Sarah chuckled and gently elbowed Cailean. "An' as yer a Scottie, it'd be a cheap ceremony, eh?"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Deske wrote:Doctor Collins quickly turned around and picked up the needle, pushing it into several injection sites until it was empty. Norwood followed up by slowly running the scanner over the Celicans pelvic area, a light hum coming from it. As he finished, the two used their cybernetic eyes scanner to ensure the job had been done correctly.
"Looking pretty good. Nice job," Collins said from his position over the patient.
"Nice work."
Welsh Halfwit wrote:The NotJaken began tracking down the few scents he could make out in the rubble. Those he could help, he pulled or pushed through the portal. Those he couldn't, he closed their eyes. He set himself to the thought that he was Celican. This thing happened. No sense crying about it whilst there was work to be done. He almost believed himself and wondered if he would do in the future. "Could always talk to myself," he muttered, "or you," he added, realising he'd found a young Vixen with a broken leg who was breathing heavily and just looking at him with frightened eyes. "I'm a rescue party," he told her, squatting beside the girl. "Got one here!" he called, making her flinch and shake. "S'all right, S'all right, I'm with the Champions."
"L...L...Lyc'n," the girl stammered, shivering.
'Jaken' smiled. It was always him, he thought. "He's around up there, yeah. She's got a broke leg, I think," he added to his call. "I think." She nodded. "She's pretty sure."
"But it looks like we're going to get more..." Eira said as people with varying degrees of injury exited the portal. The Lycan and Tempest walked through the group to enter. Some of the civilians, particularly the younger ones, were staring at The Lycan in awe.

The Lycan jumped through the portal and walked over to the girl. "You're safe now. We're going to get you out of here." He called back to his wife. "Tempest! I need a cast!" He reached into his utility belt and pulled out a sort of syringe. "This is a pain killer. You're going to feel a bit of a pinch, but then you won't feel anything in your leg or be able to move it. It's only temporary." He stuck the syringe into her broken leg and started administering the medication as Tempest stepped in through the portal. Much like how Eira did it, as soon as the painkiller took effect, Tempest set the bone and encased the leg in an ice cast. The Lycan carefully lifted her and started carrying her out through the portal. "Well done, Jaken."

"Rika, she needs treatment. I'll leave it up to you." The Lycan said, gently setting the girl down.

---------------------------
Deske wrote:Feeling a bit outclassed? Chris chuckled, "I gotta agree though, once she gets there, it's going to be over."
I admit I am very interested in seeing her work up close. This should be an interesting fight.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Hannabelle followed Gear through, telling herself she wasn't just going to follow this guy around... unless he was going the right way, of course.
Everyone seemed to be following Titan, who apparently had a good idea of where they were supposed to go. Then, the wailing of an alarm sounded off and turrets sprung from the ground. Gear reacted first, grabbing Hannabelle and pulling her into a sort of alcove for cover. MT raised his left arm and generated a full body shield from his wrist as the turrets started firing. Titan stood in front of the group, pretty much ignoring the bullets flattening themselves as they struck her.

Buster wrote:"Then lets use that material. You've got my nanofab pattern library and Hivemind's drone software on board, and I've seen you rematerialize material in a different configuration than it came in as. How quickly can you make replicas of Halcyon's Prowler* product line?"

((*She's referring to a series of Hunter-Killer class drone from her own timeline. about about 1m tall, wildcat shaped, pneumatic claws and fangs, spine mounted weapon pod, HF tail blade.))
"I've never done that before, but I can try." Predator got on all four legs and bent his head down close to the ground. He downloaded the blueprints of the Halcyon Prowler from Talya's nanofab pattern library and fitted it's brains with the Hive software. He modified the software slightly so that he, Kobor, and Talya would be in control of them. He opened his "mouth" and three of the droids leaped out of the converter device. One for each of them.

Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Socalising is as much a tactical move as anything,"Corp told Sal-Hleel. "Forms bonds and lets you see how others act when not 'on guard'."
Legotron123 wrote:”Well I know you don’t want him dead, but he doesn’t. As far as he knows, you were thinking about having him as an appetizer.” Liz said as she waited for her food to arrive. ”From what I understand, most people don’t exactly have the fondest view of your species, so you’re going to have to deal with reactions like that a lot while you’re here.”
Buster wrote:"Why would you want to do that? Human kinda tastes gross, and you wind up with bits of nylon diving suit stuck in your teeth." June decides to chip in, drawing on memories from her host body in her attempt to add some insightful commentary. completely misreading the mood of the comments.
"Varanians don't even eat humans anymore! Humans grudgingly considered weird people, not prey. They keep beating us in all fights despite being tiny, so are given privilege to not be hunted unless weakness is demonstrated. Generals, Warlords, Governors, and like are only ones allowed to actively hunt humans." Sal-Hleel said a little defensively, not realizing that he probably just reinforced the reason why people don't like Varanians.

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Sana had decided to go visit the shop but Seena was still with Hive after deciding she probably wouldn't like half the products carried.
Messalca tutted as she entered her station. "Keldar Gastomar," she said. "There was a *********** of a case. Taken off me by the state police and dropped after certain samples 'vanished' between here and the city. But how does that link to an invasion?"
Hivemind decided to try to preform a quick scan on Messalca to see if she had any chips in her brain like Not-Zabta did. "We believe that a number of people on Celica conspired to call the Varanian fleet here in order to trigger the invasion. We are still trying to figure out why, but we believe that the Gastomar family was killed because Keldar Gastomar knew who was involved."

Welsh Halfwit wrote:"42," Keeva queried. "isn't that the answer to life, the universe and everything?"
"Yep." Hivemind said, nodding and sounding amused. "Could be a coincidence, but Wizards are sometimes known to be a bit nerdy, so I suppose it's possible they're keeping it at that number somehow."

Hlaoroo wrote:"Sae who are th' Varanians an' why did they invade? What's Earth like in this universe?"
"Varanians are a reptilian species from the planet Varan. They invaded Earth because they were trying to expand and escape beyond their own planet, which was on a collision course with it's neighboring planet. They specifically went for Earth because Earth is considered a wild planet with a greater diversity of fauna than most other worlds. Plenty of life, plenty of things to hunt. Varanians are a predatory species, and have been known to hunt anything weaker than them, which is pretty much everything." Hivemind explained.

"As for Earth, it's a beautiful and diverse planet. That said, while it's diverse in terms of wildlife and terrain, a lot of places are still Xenophobic, particularly since the Varanian invasion. As a result, humans are the only widespread sentient species on the planet."

Deske wrote:"There it is," Ulrich said as a blue glow appeared between the creature and Archangel. The glow quickly grew into a thin sheet of light which wrapped it's way around Archangels hands. "Forgive me for not asking permission, my friend!" Ulrich shouted as the sheets encompassed the champions hands, then arms, augmenting their strength enough to crush the creatures arms. A needle of light formed just in front of the creatures mouth before shooting forward, forcing it's way down into it's mouth and beginning to expand outward in random directions, going through anything not deemed "Friendly."
Fortified by the shields, Archangel was able to push harder against the monster since he didn't have to worry about injuring himself. The creature's throat bulged out as the hardlight inside expanded. With the chimera distracted, Archangel pushed forward, pinning it to the ground. "I don't know if you can understand me..." Archangel said, looking into the creatures wild and feral eyes. "But if so... I'm sorry about this." His eyes glowed. Intense but invisible rays of radiation escaped from Archangel's eyes and went straight into those of the chimera. The monster started to shriek and writhe and smoke poured from it's eyes as the rays penetrated into it's skull until after a few final twitches, it lay still. Archangel closed the lids on what used to be the thing's eyes, and stood up, feeling sick.
Buster wrote:sheathing and retriving her weapons for the moment since she doubts they will have any better luck a second time, and heading over the one pinned against the wall, Kol proceeds to try and force-feed it a grenade.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Using her captured firearm, Jenny fired on the creature being held against the wall by Tatiana's TK before she saw what Kol was up to. "Ulrich," she called, "soon as Kol gets her hand out of the way, invert a force field around that thing's head!"
The barrage of attacks had multiple effects. The creature swallowed Kol's grenade, which went off. It's abdomen expanded with a muffled bang, before smoke billowed out of it's mouth and it doubled over, coughing and wheezing. Then, Jenny's shots came. However, it didn't seem to help. What shots actually penetrated it's thick armored hide healed over even stronger than before.
Legotron123 wrote:Quint looked at the rapid adaptation of the creature Kol was tangling with and grimaced. ”It seems we do not have as much time to play with these things as I thought. I shall have to finish this quickly.” He said, before executing a number of different actions in a row. First, he pulled out one of the spatial warping grenades Mythos had given him, set it on a twenty second timer, then shoved it down the creatures throat. Mythos had said in no uncertain terms that setting one off inside a living creature would subject that creature to a horrible death, so hopefully it worked on Lusus Naturae here. Second, he shoved the cannon on his left arm into its mouth and opened fire, sending jets of flame down its throat and scarring any flesh it touched. Finally, a long spike like object grew out of his right wrist and was subsequently shoved into the creatures neck, sending enough electricity to jumpstart an average emergency generator into its body.
The creature swallowed the spatial warping grenade much like it did with the standard grenade. There was a delay though which allowed Quint to launch his other attacks. The moment Quint stopped zapping the creature, the grenade went off, twisting and distorting the creature, spaghettifying apparently random parts while causing other parts to shrink apparently out of existence.

The creature fell to the ground, completely still.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Quint looked down at the still form, a look of disdain on his face. ”I highly doubt that thing is dead,” he said as he opened a portal to his hammerspace pocket, ”but at least it is staying still enough for me to do this.” He picked up what was left of the creature and put it inside the portal, closing it as soon as the potential corpse was through. ”I have no idea if it can survive in there, but we will find out on the Beacon, where we have the firepower to deal with it permanently.”
-
”And therein lies another very big reason people don’t like the Varanians. You force your ideals upon other races, making them earn the right not to be hunted. Most people feel they earn that right once their species achieve civilization, and to be brought back down to that primitive level is insulting.” She said as her food arrived, while Lewis got what appeared to be some sort of bacon mac and cheese. As she ate her hamburger, she gave June an odd look for her remarks. ”I am curious how someone who seems as young as you do has, ah, had the experience of tasting human flesh.”

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Three days isn't that young for a Kaal. I'll be sounding like you by the end of the month. watch." June interrupted, sounding equal parts offended and childish. closing her argument by sticking her tongue out.

After letting the captain finish and pausing a moment, she added a bit more calmly, "I remember bits of what 'I' used to be before 'I' was Me, Father called it... Residual host memory, I think?" stumbling slightly and trying to remember the words right.

- - - - -

leaving Preadator's body parked guarding the now mostly cleared elevator, area Kobor is the first one to start moving gingerly testing out each limb, before stretching, then flexing his neck about, watching how the movement of the twin pulse blasters mounted to the spine pivoted to track where he's looking.

"this feels wierd... I'm not used to not being able to feel myself inside the chassis at the controls." he grumbles sounding disoriented, his movement towards the elevator doors ironically stiff and mechanical. not able to rationalize the disconnect between himself and the drone as easily as he could with predator due to the scale. at this size, his limbs should be inside the bots, every movement should have direct kinetic feedback... except it doesn't because he's not here physically...

Talya on the other hand, after muttering a quick 'diagnostic complete, systems synchronized' is moving far more naturally, fluid feline grace in every step. "Time to find out how well these things climb?" she asks rhetorically, tail pointing at the elevator as she looked back at the boys, taking the lead.
Deske

Post by Deske »

"Or it'll be over so quick that there won't be anything to be interesting in," Chris said with a chuckle.

------

Ulrich frowned slightly, "Sorry Jenny, I was a bit too slow that time. Won't happen again." He left the light gauntlets around Archangel's hands just in case, "Are there any others?"

------

"I meant you, but thanks," Collins said to Eira as Norwood packed away the machine.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Sarah chuckled and gently elbowed Cailean. "An' as yer a Scottie, it'd be a cheap ceremony, eh?"
"O' course nae! Ah'm th' brother o' a laird an' next in line fer th' title. Only th' best fer mah bride!" Cailean scoffs.

~~~~~~~~
CyberDragon wrote:"Varanians are a reptilian species from the planet Varan. They invaded Earth because they were trying to expand and escape beyond their own planet, which was on a collision course with it's neighboring planet. They specifically went for Earth because Earth is considered a wild planet with a greater diversity of fauna than most other worlds. Plenty of life, plenty of things to hunt. Varanians are a predatory species, and have been known to hunt anything weaker than them, which is pretty much everything." Hivemind explained.

"As for Earth, it's a beautiful and diverse planet. That said, while it's diverse in terms of wildlife and terrain, a lot of places are still Xenophobic, particularly since the Varanian invasion. As a result, humans are the only widespread sentient species on the planet."
"What aboot animals like us? Are we nae on Earth? What happened tae us?"
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"OK," Jenny said, "someone needs to copy the data from these computers for later use. If this," she continued, holding the captured weapon up, "is Phase One of their Varanian response, I think we just met Phase Two. Or, possibly, Three. We need to find out all we can. Without, obviously, letting them out," she added, indicating the chambers. "Typical arrogance," she spat. "They design a weapon capable of fighting a threat and then they develop something even more dangerous with their own weapon in mind! Blinding stupidity!"
--------------------------
"Don't worry, kid," Corp said to June, trying not to sound patronising, "we're finding everything unusual at the moment so, to us? You're perfectly normal."
"Um, thank... thank you, Mr Lycan, sir," Jaken said, trying not to go just a bit giddy at being complimented. It wouldn't be right for a hunter, would it? He sniffed around but the smells of life were gone from here now so he headed back out, closing the portal when he was sure everyone was out. He even counted the PoppaDoc's twice to make sure. Then he crossed to near HIS Doctor. "You alright, Miss Rika," he asked, feeling a tad weary as the day drew on.
-------------------------
"Figures," Messalca said as the street lights came on outside. The chip less Sheriff perched on her desk to face the pair as Sana came in with an escort Deputy carrying a crate. "Think she found her drink, and some chips too," she muttered before returning to the subject matter. "Figured he did work on certain 'high ranking' types every now and again. When you're the Sheriff of a rural district you note when your high rollers go 'out of town'. Of course he was on call for a lot of rich types too but he'd often be away from home when someone infamous 'skipped bail' or escaped in some other part of the planet. But you can't arrest someone for going on holiday and I've no resources for long term investigation so..." she shrugged. "Figure yer gonna ask why the two sets of tests," she prompted, waiting for a response. "And, incidentally, you can tell her the Net is still down," she added, indicating Sana, now sat at a computer and waiting for it to boot up.
-----------------------
Hannabelle peered around at the nearest turret and pulled herself back in. "That things accuracy is shocking," she complained. "Do you have an armour piercing bullet by any chance? Or a High explosive one? Use that on the middle turret and we might get a chain reaction."
----------------------
"Might 'ave t' see tha'," Sarah said slyly. "Makin' sure yer not fibbin' a'course."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana let her telekinetic hold fade as Quint devastated the creature. Once he was finished she walked towards the others, hearing Jenny's words on the subject. "It does make me wonder though. Depending on my relation to my old asteroid lab, I wonder how close I was to becoming something like this. Different lab, different scientist, makes all the difference. Especially since I don't doubt the Rim's ratio of good labs to ones that wished they could be this place ain't a pretty metric." She put a hand to her chin in thought. "Think we should get more champions down here? This is just ONE floor after all, and we still need to hit the target."
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"We should be clear, Tat," Jenny mentioned. "There only seems to be two tubes broken and I don't think those things had much intelligence. They were hunting on instinct so, if there were more down here, we should have met them by now. But I do think we need to get out of this room before the other one comes back at us."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Quint seemed to grimace a little at Jenny’s words, and walked over to talk to her. He leaned in to whisper to her, taking care to make sure she wasn’t hurt by any of the weapons protruding out of his suit. ”Kolt would be a lot more delicate with this, but I am going to just cut straight to the point. Just because you share a similar origin with these creatures does not make you anything like them. You are a kind, brave woman, and having you around is very good for Kolt and his well-being.” He backed off, a friendly smirk on his face. ”Though don’t tell him I said that.”
-
”Though admittedly, a three day old who looks like she’s at least eight years old is still new to us.” Liz said, continuing off of Corps comment. She absentmindedly put a curly fry in her mouth as she looked at June with intrigue. ”Not to mention all the things your choice of wording implies. If you don’t mind me asking, who exactly were you before, as you put it, you became you? The term “residual host memory” suggests you are or were some sort of parasite.”
Last edited by Legotron123 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Oh well that's really simple. we are parasites. my host body is technically a brain-dead corpse that's being forcibly reanimated!" June explains cheerfully, perhaps a bit too cheerfully for some of the restaurants guests who can hear the conversation. "the host body was originally a regular shark that swallowed a severed limb from dad, i had to blend the genomes so i could breathe on land, and the colony inside used to be part of father."

she pauses a moment to demolish another rib before continuing, sounding very much like she's repeating something someone else told her, mostly verbatim with only a cursory understanding of what she's saying. there's clearly more attention being put to getting the words right than to giving them a natural inflection. "see there three types of Kaal, nodes workers and floaters. Nodes are mostly stationary growths inside the body acting as approximations of neuron clusters, and are the thinky bit; by connecting the filaments we use to feel our way around we can form a network mostly equivalent to a brain. They used to just be for breeding more floaters but we've changed over the generations. Workers kinda crawl around inside the body, they store our genetic library and reshape or rebuild parts of the host body that break or aren't suitable. most of the time they're in the muscles and organs controlling them for the nodes, since the body doesn't have any nerves or neurons. Floaters are in the blood, constantly moving around leeching nutrients to feed the nodes. They're not too smart, kinda 'ant like' i think is how father put it. They're the infectious part and can grow into the other two by eating the right kind of tissues, that's where 'I' came from. if there's not enough tissue available nodes and workers can build a 'nest' out of silicon and coper and communicate over longer distances, which is close enough to circuitry to run most machines."
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Right," Corp said after listening to June, "remind me not to let you bite me. And change my order to the Macaroni Cheese," he added to the server.
"Thanks, Quint," Jenny said quietly, "and I'll keep your softie nature from Kolt if he asks."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"why? that wouldn't do anything. you'd have to bite me to get infected. I'm not a zombie."
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Legotron123 wrote:”And therein lies another very big reason people don’t like the Varanians. You force your ideals upon other races, making them earn the right not to be hunted. Most people feel they earn that right once their species achieve civilization, and to be brought back down to that primitive level is insulting.” She said as her food arrived, while Lewis got what appeared to be some sort of bacon mac and cheese. As she ate her hamburger, she gave June an odd look for her remarks. ”I am curious how someone who seems as young as you do has, ah, had the experience of tasting human flesh.”
The waiter placed Sal-Hleel's salmon in front of him. It was a whole fish, cooked to perfection. However, while it was quite a large meal for a human, it was bite-sized for Sal-Hleel. The Varanian looked disappointed. "Everything from Earth so small..." He grumbled a little. Then he heard what almost sounded like a whimper from behind him.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..."

Sal-Hleel turned to see the waiter standing there, trembling. "I'm sorry... that was the biggest we had..." The waiter almost whispered.

Sal-Hleel rubbed the bridge of his snout, then stood up. At his full height, Sal-Hleel was twice as tall as the quivering waiter. "Is something wrong?" the Varanian growled. At this point, several people were staring, many with a similar amount of fear as the waiter.

"I-it's... too small..."

"I am Varanian. Everything terran is small. No fault of you. I simply order more. So why you fear me so much?"

"...I-I..."

"You think I am mindless, savage creature. Killing machine. You see toothy mouth on legs when you look at me."

The waiter said nothing in response.

"I ask, If this were case, would I be here, on the Beacon? If this were case, would Hivemind not throw me out?"

The waiter looked down, away from Sal-Hleel, but the Varanian did notice that the human's shaking seemed to lessen greatly.

"I am here because I am on Champion team now." Sal-Hleel said, gesturing to the group he was sitting with. "I ask you, treat me as such. Now... about my order..." Sal-Hleel grabbed a menu and ordered about four large burgers of different kinds and an extra large order of fries. The waiter, looking considerably less shaky, nodded and hurried off. Sal-Hleel took his seat, which was quite small for him, and everyone who had been staring went back to their food and conversations. Looking at his fish, the Varanian shrugged. He picked the salmon up, and tossed it in his mouth like popcorn, and swallowed it whole.
Buster wrote:"Oh well that's really simple. we are parasites. my host body is technically a brain-dead corpse that's being forcibly reanimated!" June explains cheerfully, perhaps a bit too cheerfully for some of the restaurants guests who can hear the conversation. "the host body was originally a regular shark that swallowed a severed limb from dad, i had to blend the genomes so i could breathe on land, and the colony inside used to be part of father."

she pauses a moment to demolish another rib before continuing, sounding very much like she's repeating something someone else told her, mostly verbatim with only a cursory understanding of what she's saying. there's clearly more attention being put to getting the words right than to giving them a natural inflection. "see there three types of Kaal, nodes workers and floaters. Nodes are mostly stationary growths inside the body acting as approximations of neuron clusters, and are the thinky bit; by connecting the filaments we use to feel our way around we can form a network mostly equivalent to a brain. They used to just be for breeding more floaters but we've changed over the generations. Workers kinda crawl around inside the body, they store our genetic library and reshape or rebuild parts of the host body that break or aren't suitable. most of the time they're in the muscles and organs controlling them for the nodes, since the body doesn't have any nerves or neurons. Floaters are in the blood, constantly moving around leeching nutrients to feed the nodes. They're not too smart, kinda 'ant like' i think is how father put it. They're the infectious part and can grow into the other two by eating the right kind of tissues, that's where 'I' came from. if there's not enough tissue available nodes and workers can build a 'nest' out of silicon and coper and communicate over longer distances, which is close enough to circuitry to run most machines."
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Right," Corp said after listening to June, "remind me not to let you bite me. And change my order to the Macaroni Cheese," he added to the server.
Buster wrote:"why? that wouldn't do anything. you'd have to bite me to get infected. I'm not a zombie."
And now everyone was staring again. A few people in the area pushed their food away from them, apparently having lost their appetites, and one or two got up and left. As for Sal-Hleel, he was feeling very glad and lucky that none of his brothers-in-arms managed to actually get to her. He didn't want to think about what would have happened if she had been added to the rations as POWs often were.

Buster wrote:leaving Preadator's body parked guarding the now mostly cleared elevator, area Kobor is the first one to start moving gingerly testing out each limb, before stretching, then flexing his neck about, watching how the movement of the twin pulse blasters mounted to the spine pivoted to track where he's looking.

"this feels wierd... I'm not used to not being able to feel myself inside the chassis at the controls." he grumbles sounding disoriented, his movement towards the elevator doors ironically stiff and mechanical. not able to rationalize the disconnect between himself and the drone as easily as he could with predator due to the scale. at this size, his limbs should be inside the bots, every movement should have direct kinetic feedback... except it doesn't because he's not here physically...

Talya on the other hand, after muttering a quick 'diagnostic complete, systems synchronized' is moving far more naturally, fluid feline grace in every step. "Time to find out how well these things climb?" she asks rhetorically, tail pointing at the elevator as she looked back at the boys, taking the lead.
The Predator drone rested his main body on the surface in stealth mode as his much smaller feline-like drone followed Talya down the elevator shaft. They had a long way to go, and the Prowlers could only climb down so fast...

Deske wrote:"I meant you, but thanks," Collins said to Eira as Norwood packed away the machine.
"Don't pack up just yet, Doc. We have more people over here!" The Lycan called, gesturing to the people who had just exited Jaken's portal.

Hlaoroo wrote:"What aboot animals like us? Are we nae on Earth? What happened tae us?"
"Nothing happened to you. It's just... well... This is what you look like." Hivemind held a palm open and a holographic image of a quadrupedal border collie. "Most animals never achieved sapience. Most walk on four legs, can't use tools, can't talk, can't understand complex language or concepts, and are generally instinct driven. You get some exceptions, but they're normally apes like humans are. Even then, their mental development is limited."

Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Figures," Messalca said as the street lights came on outside. The chip less Sheriff perched on her desk to face the pair as Sana came in with an escort Deputy carrying a crate. "Think she found her drink, and some chips too," she muttered before returning to the subject matter. "Figured he did work on certain 'high ranking' types every now and again. When you're the Sheriff of a rural district you note when your high rollers go 'out of town'. Of course he was on call for a lot of rich types too but he'd often be away from home when someone infamous 'skipped bail' or escaped in some other part of the planet. But you can't arrest someone for going on holiday and I've no resources for long term investigation so..." she shrugged. "Figure yer gonna ask why the two sets of tests," she prompted, waiting for a response. "And, incidentally, you can tell her the Net is still down," she added, indicating Sana, now sat at a computer and waiting for it to boot up.
"I was getting to that, yes." Hivemind said. "Why do both tests if you have enough to do one or the other?"

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Hannabelle peered around at the nearest turret and pulled herself back in. "That things accuracy is shocking," she complained. "Do you have an armour piercing bullet by any chance? Or a High explosive one? Use that on the middle turret and we might get a chain reaction."
"I do, but we don't need 'em. Watch." Gear pulled out a small mirror and held it so he could see around the corner. He could see Titan walking forward without paying any attention to the turrets. Once he saw the turrets were all focused on the giant champion, he peeked his head out and gestured for Hannabelle to do the same.

Titan kept casually walking forward into the stream of plasma, laser, and solid-state projectiles, neither slowing down nor even apparently noticing she was being shot. She didn't even seem to acknowledge them as she casually stepped on the middle floor turret, flattening it with a crunch! The only indication she gave that she even knew the turrets were there was when she reached up and lazily brushed the wall turrets away like spider webs, smashing them to pieces before she just kept moving.

She only stopped to turn around and make a gesture that seemed to say "well? are you guys coming?"

"Heheheh. Gotta love watching Titan work. Come on though. We'll take a different route. Scans show there's a faster way for the two of us to get where we're needed." Gear said to Hannabelle, walking out from behind cover.
Deske wrote:"Or it'll be over so quick that there won't be anything to be interesting in," Chris said with a chuckle.
"You mean like that?" MT said, feeling a little disappointed and lowering his railgun and shield.

Legotron123 wrote:Quint looked down at the still form, a look of disdain on his face. ”I highly doubt that thing is dead,” he said as he opened a portal to his hammerspace pocket, ”but at least it is staying still enough for me to do this.” He picked up what was left of the creature and put it inside the portal, closing it as soon as the potential corpse was through. ”I have no idea if it can survive in there, but we will find out on the Beacon, where we have the firepower to deal with it permanently.”
Given how the creature's leg started kicking before it vanished into the portal, Quint's suspicion that it was still alive appeared to be true.
Deske wrote:Ulrich frowned slightly, "Sorry Jenny, I was a bit too slow that time. Won't happen again." He left the light gauntlets around Archangel's hands just in case, "Are there any others?"
"Just the ones in the tubes. And Beavis here." He gestured to the second creature when he noticed that it's eyes were starting to recover. "No! No! You stay down!" Archangel reached down, grabbed the creature, and lifted it up into a sort of headlock before quickly twisting it's head. There was a loud crack before the monster fell down limp once more. "Might want to put this guy in there too."
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"OK," Jenny said, "someone needs to copy the data from these computers for later use. If this," she continued, holding the captured weapon up, "is Phase One of their Varanian response, I think we just met Phase Two. Or, possibly, Three. We need to find out all we can. Without, obviously, letting them out," she added, indicating the chambers. "Typical arrogance," she spat. "They design a weapon capable of fighting a threat and then they develop something even more dangerous with their own weapon in mind! Blinding stupidity!"
Welsh Halfwit wrote:"We should be clear, Tat," Jenny mentioned. "There only seems to be two tubes broken and I don't think those things had much intelligence. They were hunting on instinct so, if there were more down here, we should have met them by now. But I do think we need to get out of this room before the other one comes back at us."
"They were smart enough to know to make a run for the control room. I don't think these things run on pure instinct. Just an instinctive desire to kill." Gadgeteer mentioned as he took a look around. Then he suddenly stopped dead in his tracks. "Uh... Make that three broken tubes." He pointed to a third tube that had been broken apart from the inside, it's occupant nowhere to be seen.

"Oh, no... But if there's a third monster... where...?"

The room suddenly went dark, the only light coming from the broken door, the glowing fluid in the tubes, and through the window to the control room where the third creature peered down at the heroes, having what almost looked like a psychotic grin on it's face as it held a clawed hand up to the control panel. Then it tapped something on the screen.

"Oh, ****"

The lights on the tubes turned from green to red and the fluid started draining from them. Hundreds of tubes were being activated at once, their occupants were starting to wake up and pound against the walls of their glass cages until a few of them started to crack.

"Well... We're dead..."
"Run! Everyone run for the elevator!"
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"The intruders were professional," Messalca pointed out, "at least at first. Dealt with the mate quite cleanly but, when it came to him, they made a **** of a mess of it. Several intruders and he gets a shot or two off? They do so much damage that he can't be readily identified? What's that about," she asked, gesticulating. "So we go to the dental work. Just to make sure it's him. And it comes back as him, yeah, but then I get to thinking on something else. Two something elses, really." She headed over to a filing cabinet full of paper files and pulled one out. "Stations still keep hard copies of local crimes fortunately," she stated, handing Hive a file written in Celican script. "'Bout a week before the attack, we'd had a break in on the local tooth pullers station. Again a pro job. No damage to the lock and only expensive items taken. But they also went through his records. Took a crowbar to the filing cabinets top two drawers.
I got to thinking 'did they take a record or change some? All of a sudden the dental's not sittin' well with me. So I order the D.N.A. tests.
" Now she snarled slightly. "That's about the time when State decides I shouldn't be handling a case of this matter. Not to mention the issue of Jaken Gastomar being missing and THAT'S still hanging over me like a flamin' anvil. When's his body turning up to re-ignite things?" She huffed. "Ah, sorry. Failures haunt. Especially with cubs. Anyhow, the D.N.A. reports that I got were unclear on things but state were clear it was no longer my case to investigate."
"Still wouldn't be smart," Corp grunted. "You joining us," he asked June as other patrons left. "saves us having to call across the room."
"Oh, that's just too easy," Hannabelle mock complained as Titan worked. "Barely needs an old killer with her around." She went with Gear, deliberately walking at the same pace as him as she wasn't following him, he just happened to be the one to know where they were going.
------------------------
"Right-ho," Jenny said nonchalantly, before heading swiftly back towards the elevators. "We need to collapse the hallway behind us!"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich threw up a shield to stop any of the monster from getting to them and, learning from the first time, made sure it covered the nearest walls, ceiling and floor. After it was done he moved toward the elevator.

------

"Hold on, you see those?" Chris said, referring to the radar panel, "It looks like the funs begun again." He quickly readied the weapons systems again, with maybe a bit too much excitement.

------

The two doctors, Aspen and Denver, that had been watching over the already stabilized patients, headed over to the recently stabilized ones and began providing a higher quality of service, fixing minor fractures and other less lethal forms of trauma. Meanwhile, Collins and Norwood got to work on the ones that had just come through the portal, triaging their wounds and digging into their supplies to begin treatment.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

by the time the team have retreated to the elevator, one of the three bots is waiting there, albeit with a few new dents and a new hole in the ceiling of the elevator. also said elevator has been nudged down far enough that it lines up correctly with the door now.

Talya meanwhile didn't loose her grip on the shaft framing and is about a third of the way down.

"Sorry about the noise I... take it you have more pressing concerns. What's happening?"

"CRAZY UNKILLABLE LIZARD-DOGS!" was the shouted reply he got from one of the team who has seemingly stolen all of her teamates explosive material and was rapidly turning the hallway into what looked like an improvised minefield while the others fell back. knowing it wont kill them but at least hoping it will slow them down once Ulrich's shield fails.

(Drone comms only)
>Tal, which pulse setting will heat a 250KG mass to 7500k?
>Prety sure you need the maximum setting for that but it'll burn out your reactor in six or seven shots. why? are you planning to vaporize a reentry shield or something?
>you know the pressure wave from vaporising large masses in a confined space is like a bomb going off right?

>I'm aware. I'm also in line of sight of multiple hostiles one of our teammates is referring to as 'unkillable' and I'd bet this lot tried.
>you've seen the team's gear. how tough does something have to be for that not to be enough?

(all comms)
>>Assault team, WHERE THE HIFL ARE YOU WE NEED YOU HERE NOW.

Kobor's blaster has deployed, and the twin barrels are starting to glow green and emit a crackling noise from within.

- - - - -

moving a few tables over so she's next to the others, June gives about as friendly a grin as she can with her jawline.
"So were you down below or up on a ship? Oh, if you were up on a ship did you see father's team? He's the big squiddy thing."
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana and her second shell flew alongside her allies, just in case another would need help until she reached the elevator, feeling like a kinetic blast would cause more trouble. "Reminds me of a time I was bought to recover research data from a wrecked research vessel. Could use that unstable reactor now."
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"Och, ye dinnae trust me! Ah'm wounded!" Cailean objects, placing a paw to his heart and slouching back in his chair.

~~~~~~~~
Cailean tilts his head comically as he peers at the holographic canine. He raises and lowers his paws several times before finally starting to sign.
"Huh... Ah dinnae quite ken what tae think..." Reaching around the table he taps Sarah's arm for attention.
"What dae ye make o' this, Sarah? Hivemind says tha's what animals are like here." he signs, indicating the hologram.
"An' apparently we dinnae talk or use language or tools. What dae ye think o' tha'?"
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Sarah paused, choosing her words as she tried to take the implications of that in. "Sounds too simple f'r me, Conall," she signed back. "an' it'd kill me back." She moved a hand around to the small of her back for emphasis. "An' I trust th' pair of ye," she said, signing and speaking at the same time.
--------------------
Seena considered calling Colorado to see how he was getting on and pass encouraging words but waited a few more minutes so she didn't miss anything with Hive and the Sheriff.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

”THEY ADAPT TO WHATEVER DOES NOT KILL THEM!! DO NOT USE ANYTHING THAT WILL NOT COMPLETELY DECIMATE THEM ON A CELLULAR LEVEL!!!” Quint yelled as he bolted down the hallway. As soon as he made it to the elevator, he stopped to catch his breath before turning to Jenny. ”I have something that should take out a good chunk of these things, but I need time to charge it up, and no one can be in the hallway when I set it off.”
-
Liz gave a pleased little smirk at Sal-hleel’s conversation with the waiter. It seems he wouldn’t cause too many problems after all. As she took another bite of her burger, she rolled her eyes at the people leaving. Guess they never had an interest in biology as a kid. ”If your fathers name was Kobor, then we did meet him. He was a big help in taking over the flag ship. Though judging by your wording, I’m assuming he’s a different person from the one you called dad?