Computer Drawing

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

FoxRocks

Computer Drawing

Post by FoxRocks »

I actually didn't know where to put this, but this thread seemed most suitable.

I simply CAN'T draw on the computer, I don't know how anyone does it without buying a bunch of programs. I am better with a pencil than a mouse, or even a touch screen! But is there a good program anywhere that anyone knows about? I think Paint ToolSAI (I think that's how it's written) was one, but are there good quality ones that are cheap?
Buy a goat today!
Douglas Collier

Re: Computer Drawing

Post by Douglas Collier »

There's one called Gimp that comes pretty close to Photoshop, and I think it's free.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

Gimp is free, and works pretty well.
I personally try to draw on the computer, but can't stand using my mouse. I caved and bought a art tablet.

However that is not cheap. I am not sure about how cheap Sai can be since I got mine for free. but SAI is also very handy and I found it to be much more user friendly after gimp did an update and changed the UI on me.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Draw with the mouse is always really hard, the hand hasn't a natural position for drawing. At least, it can be used to do vectorial drawing with splines made with the pen tool (what I've done so far). Paint Tool SAI is great for drawing, the trial version has one month of time using limit.
Here are some free drawing and photo editing programs for Windows OS: GIMP, FireAlpaca, Krita Studio, MyPaint, Paint.Net.
FoxRocks

Post by FoxRocks »

I have Windows XP on a PC...yes.
Buy a goat today!
Deske

Post by Deske »

I can't draw in general but I used Gimp to edit out a speech bubble and to continue some tree lines I think in my avatar. I have no actual photo editting knowledge, but Gimp is the best Photoshop alt I've used.
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Are you trying to suggest that some people are better with a mouse than a pencil?

Alright, let me break it to you. No professional artist draws with a mouse. You could perhaps paint with one, but its just not feasible to sketch or draw line art with a mouse alone. What Drake said above is correct, if you wish to take digital art seriously, you WILL need a graphics tablet. Its a handy device which gives you access to a pad and stylus, so it emulates a pen, and allows you to draw directly on your computer. However, as Drake said, they do not come cheap. Quality graphics tablets can cost you $1000 USD.

You also mentioned computer programs in your post. You are correct in that a quality program such as Paint tool SAI and Photoshop can give you more options to enhance your artwork, as you can't really work professionally in MS Paint. However, as long as a program provides you with enough features and functions, you should be fine. If you are looking for free art software, I would recommend 'Firealpaca', which is terrifyingly similar to Paint tool SAI, and 'Gimp' which is free Photoshop. But like I said, although programs do help, it is the tablet that really matters. Do not draw with a mouse. Drawing on paper and scanning it onto your computer is a good alternative to a graphics tablet, provided that you have a scanner.

I am not much of an artist though, so you may want other opinions on this matter.

Good luck with your art! :)
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

You can actually get art tablets for much less than 1000$
Mine is $89 and thats mostly because I wanted a stylus with a eraser function (and some extra art programs). The better the more expensive and if you want a wireless one, those can cost to.
If you want an art tablet Wacom is rather good. Use amazon to, you can find a variety there.

I do know of some digital artists that draw and use a mouse as well. but they also use whats called vectoring a lot. where the lines can curve and be more uniform.
Last edited by Jacey on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Deske

Post by Deske »

deepskycyan wrote:Are you trying to suggest that some people are better with a mouse than a pencil?

Alright, let me break it to you. No professional artist draws with a mouse. You could perhaps paint with one, but its just not feasible to sketch or draw line art with a mouse alone. What Drake said above is correct, if you wish to take digital art seriously, you WILL need a graphics tablet. Its a handy device which gives you access to a pad and stylus, so it emulates a pen, and allows you to draw directly on your computer. However, as Drake said, they do not come cheap. Quality graphics tablets can cost you $1000 USD.

You also mentioned computer programs in your post. You are correct in that a quality program such as Paint tool SAI and Photoshop can give you more options to enhance your artwork, as you can't really work professionally in MS Paint. However, as long as a program provides you with enough features and functions, you should be fine. If you are looking for free art software, I would recommend 'Firealpaca', which is terrifyingly similar to Paint tool SAI, and 'Gimp' which is free Photoshop. But like I said, although programs do help, it is the tablet that really matters. Do not draw with a mouse. Drawing on paper and scanning it onto your computer is a good alternative to a graphics tablet, provided that you have a scanner.

I am not much of an artist though, so you may want other opinions on this matter.

Good luck with your art! :)
I wouldn't say drawing with a mouse is as bad as you make it sound. Sure it's not the way professional artists do it, but if you don't have the money for a tablet then it can suffice. Don't forget that Gimp and Photoshop, even Paint (not .net) have a tool where you can draw a line and then bend it. If you can get comfortable using that and the other tools then a tablet can wait. Sure it might not be the same style as by hand or have necessarily the same quality, but I think it's an okay way to draw if you don't have the money for a tablet.
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Perhaps you're right, I guess it could replace a pen in the short run. But as you said yourself, it is vastly different from the pencil which you are used to, and just learning and getting used to it could take quite a bit of time. Also, its inefficient and also limits your amount of artistic freedom.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Deske

Post by Deske »

Very true. I think artistic freedom would be a bit dampened depending on how used to a mouse you are. Maybe it gets better with practice. I don't know, I'm not good at putting lines on paper.