Flame of Tartarus

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Buster
Game Master

Re: Flame of Tartarus

Post by Buster »

it's a byproduct of his powers; all gifted do that when their powers are in use. he keeps it going on purpose while masked to hide his eye color.

and yes, his flames are always purple. if the lighting is dim enough they have a black-light effect.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

*drools*
He looks awesome. Please tell me this is starting soon?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

if everything goes to plan, (which it usually doesn't, but oh well.) i'll have enough down time time in January to get everything up and running, as my work schedule slows down considerably between Christmas and valentines (i do product demos in a store. right now things are INSANE.)
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Just realized that I never thought to ask this; is Gymball keeping his Hellfire persona secret if he's using the power to shield his eyes? Just wanted to know if the theme of identity extends to that.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

yes, the secret identity rule is in effect. and this is one of those cases where it's not arbitrary, if the department knew who hellfire was he'd be arrested in a heartbeat. burning someone to ash is still murder regardless of whether they're a killer, a crooked cop, a traficking ring member, or other criminal. arson is still a crime even if you're torching an abandoned building to drive out the gang that was using it as a base.
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

Buster wrote:burning someone to ash is still murder regardless of whether they're a killer, a crooked cop, a traficking ring member, or other criminal. arson is still a crime even if you're torching an abandoned building to drive out the gang that was using it as a base.
Manslaughter is best case scenario in regards to the whole 'killing a "insert example here" ' and only for certain criminal charges...Though he definately is getting Le Chair for exactly HOW he commits said vigilantism if he did get caught...

Also, Hurray for someone actually incorporating how real law works if someone was a vigilante superhero! Only other time I saw that is in the webcomic "P.A.I.G.F."("Professor Amazing and the Incredible Golden Fox")..

Though the arson claim is debatable since actual law enforcement used the 'Smoke 'em out' technic way up until the early 1930s in rural areas until the fire was generally replaced with tear gas. And if it's an abandoned building, no possibility of it spreading to other places, and doesn't have insurance on it, technicalities can get in the way of the arson charge.

Either way, this is interesting and cool sounding, and has thus gotten me hyped..
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Wheee, design problems! *frustrated groan*

so, I've been working on star's design, and while i've got the motif down (mostly, i keep making the hands too small...) for the arms, legs, head, and wings...
the chest piece keeps turning into samus' Varia suit.

How the heck do i make a clean robotic looking armor design with a srarp triangular motif and tastefully placed running lights, without it turning into that?!

(for refrence the character is about the size of MCU Ironmonger (see 1st Iron Man movie) but WAY skinnier, and minimal curvature, sharp angles everywhere. I'll post a pic when i get a chance.)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Had to look up Ironmonger, it's been a while since I've seen the movie. That is one tall girl.

The Varia suit doesn't seem all that sharp to begin with, really, especially if you're going with sharp triangles.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

it's not the whole thing, just the chest piece itself. look.
those are two of the attempts so far.

ignore the legs, those aren't the final design i decided on. the final ones are less weirdly proportioned. still have the ostrich feet though. eenyhoo, my attempts at a jutting chest piece, which she kinda needs to keep the silhouette angular when viewed from the side, winds up doing that.

i'm not sure what to do, if i take away the few details that are there, the torso looses all definition and looks oddly flat compared to the rest, but if i add more, it will make the character harder to draw on a regular basis.
Attachments
design issue.png
design issue.png (103.96 KiB) Viewed 24302 times
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Okay, that second sketch looks a lot better. More robust. Can't figure out what can make it better, though. Let's see.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

there are actually seven others, but these two are the least disastrously bad.
Not quite out of the concept stage yet...
D-Rock wrote:Had to look up Ironmonger, it's been a while since I've seen the movie. That is one tall girl.
For several reasons, mostly revolving around shady groups not being able to conceal them among civilians, "person sized" tactical grade mechanoids are illegal in this setting. Most manufacturers work around that by scaling up their tactical models to between 10'-12'. And since Star either is, or is trying to pass for, a machine...
Last edited by Buster on Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, if you get to the point of assembling an art book, you got something to fill it with. *shrug*

I'm taking a look at the second sketch, let's see if I can manage something.
UPDATE: Got...something?
hWDhx04proposal.jpg
hWDhx04proposal.jpg (245.52 KiB) Viewed 24280 times
Blue is the original as best as I could get, red is my additions. Got surprisingly little.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

okay, fiddled around with it, now i have a chest piece that works...
except the physics of how forward-facing thruster intakes could possibly feed upward facing thrusters now means i have to redesign the back plate and wings, or that's going to drive me bonkers...
urgh...
next time i get the "brilliant" idea to make an oversized flight capable machine as a reoccurring character who needs to be finalized before the first arc can start, hit me. i did not expect star to take this long to work the kinks out of.

on the up-side at-least one major character is being cooperative.
even if i don't have the right color markers to make the colors match the digital version from earlier: the cape should be more of a dark muddy maroon, and the sleves/pants somwhere between indigo and charcoal. also my cell phone's camera can't tell the difference between "white" and "bleached bone" (more of a beige color) apparently.
and yes, he's wearing body armor. Pyrokenesis =/= bulletproof.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Every time I see this post...
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Hellfire is looking great! Liking how the bone parts are added to his armor. Don't know why, but I always found it cool, especially with the skull helmet. Somehow just noticed that the bone part even goes to the ears.

Is his cape bullet-proof like Batman, or would that be redundant in this case with the body armor?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Please stop posting all this amazing concept art. The drool is starting to pool up, and I don't know if our insurance covers self-induced water damage.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

D-Rock wrote:Is his cape bullet-proof like Batman, or would that be redundant in this case with the body armor?
The amount of material you would need to add to it to achieve that effect would make it prohibitively heavy. He'd be chocking himself with the clasp.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

That only adds to how awesome Batman can be, depending on the writer.

Any other vigilantes that Hellfire and Dawn Star have to worry about? Or will they come into play at a later part of development?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

none planned.

also...
Attachments
Star.png
Star.png (241.93 KiB) Viewed 24094 times
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

That is awesome! I thought that her primary colors would be whites and pale grays, but wow, this looks great!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

if she were predominantly white, a resemblance to Samus wouldn't have been worrying, but red...

also, i said ages ago:
Buster wrote:...traditional color schemes and designs get flipped on their heads too. Star and HF's designs are all jagged angles, dark muddy colors and glowing eyes.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Oh, right, I forgot about that color tidbit. Also, I would imagine making her eyes green would be what it would take to make her look like Samus, so you're good there, as well as the lack of an actual visor. I actually really liked her Dark and Light Suits, I thought they were really unique.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I'll probably do a digital pass of hellfire's finalized design tomorrow so i can fix his colors.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright, looking forward to how that turns out.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

by the way, if you're wondering about the 'sockets' in the hand facing the camera, Star's hands are liquid metal claws that retract when they'd be in the way, or something else is needed. The extrusion system for them, and by extension her Close-quarters capabilities, are loosely based on the weapons used in Alseides Class Guymelefs (Escaflowne).

Albeit, hers only have a range of 2m, since they don't throw the laws of physics (conservation of matter specifically) out the window the way that show does.
I don't care if Dilandau's guymelef is 20ft tall, there's no way it's carrying enough ferofluid on bord to form a spear several MILES long.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I was curious about that. Initially it looked like she had different arm models. Pretty cool.

I barely remember Escaflowne, actually. I've heard its initial English dub was pretty bad, recently.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

It has it's good moments... and it's bad ones.
the dub giving Dilandau a voice that lacked the origional's odd effeminate mannerisms backfired horribly when the 'He's actually a teenage girl, surprise!' twist came around 3/4 of the way through the series... instead of being subtly foreshadowed from day one it comes out of nowhere.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Seems the dubbing company didn't look too far ahead when translating it. I hear Samurai Pizza Cats didn't even get the original script. Never saw that show, though.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

:mrgreen:

he looks MUCH better in his proper colors.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Oh god, the drool is up to my ankles now! STOP POSTING SUCH GLORIOUS ART!!!!!!

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

*whistles* Dude looks incredible! Also just noticed the boots, pretty cool.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

A lot of the inspiration for the boots and gauntlets came from Ember Celica and... Whatever Mercury's shot-greaves are called.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Just realized, any chance of showing off Gymball's normal officer attire?
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Buster wrote:Image

he looks MUCH better in his proper colors.
Great job, Buster.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

D-Rock wrote:Just realized, any chance of showing off Gymball's normal officer attire?
I stopped working on this because of art block then promptly forgot it existed... >.< oops.
David (Formal uniform).png
David (Formal uniform).png (60.2 KiB) Viewed 21919 times
the field uniform is similar, but is dark gray, has a multipurpose utility vest instead of the jacket, and has shoes instead of boots.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

That's a great look!

And I sort of get forgetting a project out of loss of motivation. There were some things I wanted to design but forgot until the other day.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

hanging out with the carvers after work.
the cardinal is Perry, the grizzly is Jay.<br />I shouldn't need to introduce the one telling a dumb joke at this point.
the cardinal is Perry, the grizzly is Jay.
I shouldn't need to introduce the one telling a dumb joke at this point.
Off duty.png (87.35 KiB) Viewed 21889 times
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Friend of the family. Nice to see. I was curious if there was that much of a persona difference between his two identities. this has got me thinking, does anyone else know of David's alter ego?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

More like friends from work. Perry is the special tactics uint medic, and jason the explosives expert.

As to identity, none initially. Down the road though? Cant answer that; Spoilers.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

So, um... i know this is going to sound incredibly stupid, but despite having the basic plot of the first arc planned out,

i...

er...

:oops:

I have no idea what to actually put on the first page.