Spaceships

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

VeryAngryDeer

Spaceships

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

I'm planning out a book series (whether I end up writing it or not, coming up with ideas is fun) and I thought a while back that making some of the spacecraft in it using CAD software would help me envision the setting better. So I did.

From smallest vessel to largest:
- The bottom image shows an atmospheric shuttle. Its capable of re-entry and long distance gliding (and can land safely on low gravity bodies.) For Earth and Venus, it needs an electromagnetic catapult to speed it up and take it out of the atmosphere, since it doesn't have much delta-V.
- Taurus, in the upper image on the left. Its a comet redirector. Equipped with a lightsail, nuclear thermal propulsion, a centrifuge ring for gravity, and towing apparatus for moving rocks and ice around.
- HMS Werewolf, in the upper image in the middle. Its a British Royal Space Force warship, equipped with lightsail, nuclear lightbulb, spinal coilgun, and is piloted by a sapient AI called Harriet.
- Antelope, in the upper image on the right. A smuggler cargo ship operating out of the Mars Trojan asteroid 5261 Eureka. Its equipped with lightsail, nuclear thermal propulsion, a spin-hammer type centrifuge with garden, a coilgun turret on the nose, and a pressurised cargo bay.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Re: Spaceships

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Yay, other space fans :D Great designs, realistic ships are my favorite. The warship reminds me of those from Children of a Dead Earth (inspiration, perhaps? I haven't seen similar designs elsewhere).
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

Nice model work. How well do you envision it?
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote:Yay, other space fans :D Great designs, realistic ships are my favorite. The warship reminds me of those from Children of a Dead Earth (inspiration, perhaps? I haven't seen similar designs elsewhere).
Thanks!
CoaDE is a big inspiration for Werewolf, yes. Though I did try to make it look a little more aesthetically pleasing than the vessels in that game.
Zesortinge wrote:Nice model work. How well do you envision it?
I've got a word document that I put all my setting, plot and character notes in. I've got protagonists and villains and all sorts of factions. And, well... spaceships.

Its a hard sci-fi setting. Its kind of like The Expanse, but without the unrealistically efficient Epstein drives. On Earth, automation has put most people out of work, so a lot of them are moving out to colonies in the solar system which don't have much automation. Mars is the primary destination, and has a bunch of cities on it all founded by various countries, corporations and private efforts. They've formed a very loose "government" called the Ares Confederation whose job it is to mediate disputes and put on a show of a united front towards Earth, but has little actual power. Earth still has around 200 separate countries, many of them space powers (meaning they have their own surface-to-orbit launch capabilities.) I can't explain much about the plot or the villains without going into spoilers.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Drew this today. I'm thinking that I might have a go at making the first arc of the first book into a webcomic. I haven't drawn anything in ages, and this might get me back into it.

EDIT: Turns out 5261 Eureka is only 1.6 kilometres across, so I'd need to do another drawing to get it right.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Great drawing. Whatever format you choose, I'll be interested in checking it out.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote:Great drawing. Whatever format you choose, I'll be interested in checking it out.
Thanks! I hope I can keep it up.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

They all do look really nice! That's just splendid!
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:They all do look really nice! That's just splendid!
Thankyou!
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

That is an interesting idea. It might lead you to adding all arcs to the webcomic depending on how much you like making it and how the feedback turns out.
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Zesortinge wrote:That is an interesting idea. It might lead you to adding all arcs to the webcomic depending on how much you like making it and how the feedback turns out.
I might at that. The Antelope arc lends itself to the webcomic format best though. Its fast-paced and informative about the setting.