Truth... Stranger Than Fiction?

For playing all sorts of silly I-don't-know-whats

Moderators: Render, ArcWolf

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Truth... Stranger Than Fiction?

Post by Hlaoroo »

Here's a little game inspired by a favourite TV show of mine which sadly got cancelled.

The aim is this: I give you a spiel on a random topic and you guys have to pick out as many facts from that spiel as you can. But beware! The facts are hidden in a tangle of lies so don't get caught!

You get a point for every fact you get right and lose a point every time you pick a bit of fiction.
Pick as many facts as you can find and make a list because the more facts you get right the more chance you have of winning.
For ease of reading and marking, please write your chosen "facts" in dot point form in either [ quote ] or [ List ] tags.

At the end of one week or when somebody gets a perfect score, whichever comes first, I will announce the winner and their score and the correct answers and total possible score. The winner will get to pick the next topic I write about.

NO GOOGLING OR RESEARCHING ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD because that ruins the fun. It has to be pure guesswork based on your own knowledge or lack thereof. :)

You can, if you wish, post an update to your list as the game progresses and I will mark only the latest update. If you do this, be sure to do it in a new post so that I can see that you've done it.

So, without further ado, let the game begin!

Good luck!

The first challenge is all about my home state of Tasmania.
TSTF CHallenge #1 wrote:Tasmania, colloquially known as Tassie or Taswegia, is also known as the Apple Isle as it's the birthplace of Apple founder, Steve Jobs. This leads to its official slogan, iMcold, which is appropriate as Tasmania's average annual temperature is 10.35C/50.63F. Tasmania is home to the Tasmanian Devil, the world's largest carnivore, whose scientific name translates as "Harris' Flesh Lover". Tasmania is also home to a large population of Tasmanian Tigers which despite being related to dogs, look much like Bengal Tigers.

Tasmania is a state of firsts, being home to Australia's first spread (Vegemite), Australia's first opal mine and Australia's first parking meter. The latter of these firsts is what lead to Tasmania's isolation from mainland Australia as the residents of the mainland wished to prevent the spread of parking meters any further than the town of Devonport which they wrote off because it was a prison full of convicts anyway.

Recently Tasmania reached a landmark as its population finally surpassed five million people. This was, of course, five million people counting from when the state was first colonised in Risdon Cove in the year 1803. Since the state's colonisation, the convicts who were brought over from England and mainland Australia have proved themselves very useful, so much so that they are still kept for slave labour today despite being over two hundred years old. In their time, they built Australia's oldest bridge which is still in use (Ross Bridge), Australia's oldest theatre (Hobart's Theatre Royal) and Australia's oldest clock which is situated on the Town Hall in Hobart.
Last edited by Hlaoroo on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Render
Wanna play a game?

Re: Truth... Stranger Than Fiction?

Post by Render »

Okay, I'll start with my guesses. Here they are. I hope that my thoughts aren't to crazy.
  • Tasmania, colloquially known as Tassie or Taswegia, is also known as the Apple Isle
  • Tasmania's average annual temperature is 10.35C/50.36F
  • Tasmania is home to the Tasmanian Devil
  • Tasmania has had Australia's first opal mine
  • The state was first colonised in Risdon Cove in the year 1803
  • Convicts have been brought over from England and mainland Australia
  • Australia's oldest clock is situated on the Town Hall in Hobart

ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
VEB152
Location: Land of vowels with dashes and consonants with commas

Post by VEB152 »

Looks interesting enough... Let's try!
  • Tasmania is colloquially known as Tassie
  • Tasmania is home to Tasmanian Devil ((well, ain't that, indeed, logical?))
  • Let's say Tasmania got not only the first opal mine, but also where Vegemite was made. ((Does latter count if we throw away that "first spread" part as a valid answer?))
  • First colonised place in Tasmania was Risdon Cove
  • Convicts were brought to Tasmania from England, as well as mainland Australia
  • Ross Bridge is Australia's oldest still-used bridge
  • ...Hlaoroo is going to facepaw a lot while reading the answers :lol:
Yes, that is about the best thing to write that I could think of.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Shame on me, I saw that but forget to insert it into my list... Furr, there is an amendment in my list.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

Tasmania, colloquially known as Tassie or Taswegia
Tasmania's average annual temperature is 10.35C/50.36F.
Tasmania is home to the Tasmanian Devil
Tasmania is a state of firsts, being home to Australia's first spread (Vegemite)
Australia's first opal mine
Recently Tasmania reached a landmark as its population finally surpassed five million people.
the state was first colonised in Risdon Cove in the year 1803
Australia's oldest bridge which is still in use (Ross Bridge)
Australia's oldest theatre (Hobart's Theatre Royal)
Australia's oldest clock which is situated on the Town Hall in Hobart.
Also render, I think the apple isle is a fake name.
Last edited by Jacey on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

VEB152 wrote:((Does latter count if we throw away that "first spread" part as a valid answer?))
Yes, it counts. Some statements may or may not be half true so you might or might not have to pick the right half. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

• Tasmania is the birthplace of Apple founder, Steve Jobs.

Tasmania's average annual temperature is 10.35C/50.36F.

Tasmania is also home to a large population of Tasmanian Tigers which despite being related to dogs, look much like Bengal Tigers.

Tasmania is a state of firsts, being home to Australia's first spread (Vegemite), Australia's first opal mine and Australia's first parking meter.

The latter of these firsts is what lead to Tasmania's isolation from mainland Australia as the residents of the mainland wished to prevent the spread of parking meters any further than the town of Devonport which they wrote off because it was a prison full of convicts anyway.

Since the state's colonisation, the convicts who were brought over from England and mainland Australia have proved themselves very useful, so much so that they are still kept for slave labour today despite being over two hundred years old.

In their time, they built Australia's oldest bridge which is still in use (Ross Bridge), Australia's oldest theatre (Hobart's Theatre Royal) and Australia's oldest clock which is situated on the Town Hall in Hobart.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

And the winner, with a grand total of 7 out of a possible 10 points and only 1 wrong answer is...

*drumroll*

Render!

Send me a PM with the next topic, Render!

Here are the correct answers:
1.) Tasmania, colloquially known as Tassie or Taswegia, is also known as the Apple Isle.
2.) Tasmania's average temperature is 10.35C/50.63F
3.) Tasmania is home to the Tasmanian Devil
4.) The Tasmanian Devil is called "Harris' Flesh Lover" (Sarcophilus Harisii)
5.) Tasmania is home to Australia's first parking meter
6.) Tasmania did just reach a landmark in it's population but it's 500,000, not 5 million. So that was a trick question. ;)
7.) Tasmania was colonised in Risdon Cove in 1803
8.) Convicts were brought over from both the UK and mainland Australia
9.) The convicts did build Australia's oldest still-used bridge in Tasmania but it was Richmond Bridge. Ross bridge is the country's seconds oldest still-used bridge but it was convict built.
10.) The convicts did build Australia's oldest theatre and it was indeed Hobart's Theatre Royal.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters