Arc 42: Not All Dogs

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
PhoenixAsper

Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs

Post by PhoenixAsper »

<reads above>

If that's the case, I don't understand why Fox and Rex don't ditch HIM. A friendship based on the whole cat-lover issue is not a solid basis for friendship, if it is any at all. There has to be more to it.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

PhoenixAsper wrote:<reads above>

If that's the case, I don't understand why Fox and Rex don't ditch HIM. A friendship based on the whole cat-lover issue is not a solid basis for friendship, if it is any at all. There has to be more to it.
No doubt there's more: Fido is most likely the huge factor.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I just realized that the dogs have pads on their feet but not their hands, which would seem to indicate that they've been bipedal for quite a while

On a different note, I like the completely unnecessary H in "Shure Ting".
I'd also never figured that the GODC met in Bino's garage or wherever they are
Image Image
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Fox said a while back that he wondered why he was friends with Bino and not Peanut. Most likely the silly cat lover business. He may see the light someday!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

So, if Fido speaks up, everybody abandons Bino's point of view?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

PhoenixAsper wrote:...I don't understand why Fox and Rex don't ditch HIM. A friendship based on the whole cat-lover issue is not a solid basis for friendship, if it is any at all. There has to be more to it.
We've seen no evidence that Bino is irredeemably evil. He's absolutely a jerk, but even people of that persuasion can have and be good friends. Dogs are tremendously loyal; it's their greatest virtue. Also, we don't know that Bino, Fox, and Rex only have one shared opinion.
PhoenixAsper wrote:So, if Fido speaks up, everybody abandons Bino's point of view?
This is not necessarily the case, but Fido does appear to hold much more sway over the Good Ol' Dogs Club and canines in general than Bino.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Dissension wrote:
PhoenixAsper wrote:...I don't understand why Fox and Rex don't ditch HIM. A friendship based on the whole cat-lover issue is not a solid basis for friendship, if it is any at all. There has to be more to it.
We've seen no evidence that Bino is irredeemably evil. He's absolutely a jerk, but even people of that persuasion can have and be good friends. Dogs are tremendously loyal; it's their greatest virtue. Also, we don't know that Bino, Fox, and Rex only have one shared opinion.
Nor was I implying as such. Now, by THAT argument, Fox's loyalty will REALLY be tested if and when he finds out the secrets of King and Fido.

On another note, wouldn't Bino have as much to LOSE as to gain by Fido's secret being out in the open? :| Think about it: his profile says he gets most of the respect he has by relation to Fido. If Fido is found out, that makes Bino the brother of TWO cat lovers! Or one cat-lover and a weirdo. :roll: What would the other dogs say?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Bino is Fido's brother, and the dogs love Fido. Also, jerk or not, Bino is influential.

Bino isn't evil to the core. He's just very insecure and it causes him to act out.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Yeah, he's a bully, bullies need time-outs.
Sent from my conifer.
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Sleet wrote:
Bino isn't evil to the core. He's just very insecure and it causes him to act out.

What gives people this idea that Bino is evil?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Barkeron wrote:
Sleet wrote:

When people strongly identify and connect with the person being tormented, the tormentor is automatically evil
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

You do something mean, you're evil! Duh.

He's just a big jerk. Even when he tries to not be a jerk, he'll come off as a jerk. I've known people like that, they really can't help it. It's just who they are.

Interesting thoughts about what might happen if Fido's secret came to light...that could make up an arc all by itself.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

C'mon Fido!!! Where are you!?!?!
Sent from my conifer.
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Obbl wrote: When people strongly identify and connect with the person being tormented, the tormentor is automatically evil
Heh, it makes since. Even though not all tormentors are evil. Jerks can torment others as well. I have to give Rick credit on the fact that he keeps us talking and wild guessing at the same time, even though he may not even realize it.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Obbl wrote:When people strongly identify and connect with the person being tormented, the tormentor is automatically evil
This occasionally makes them consider anyone who identifies strongly with their character's antagonist evil, too. Nonetheless, Bino fans unite! x3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Dissension wrote:
Obbl wrote:When people strongly identify and connect with the person being tormented, the tormentor is automatically evil
This occasionally makes them consider anyone who identifies strongly with their character's antagonist evil, too. Nonetheless, Bino fans unite! x3
Sorry, his behavior does not take into account the thoughts and feelings of others. So, can't say I'm a fan currently. ;)
valerio

Post by valerio »

By Rick's words...
He’s envious, greedy, stingy, obnoxious, petty, and downright mean,
So far, his attitude has been tamed by his cartoonish clumsiness.
What's happening tonight is called 'escalation'. It's not like picking on Peanut for the cat tail or for his cat-loving attitude. He knows he can make King suffer and he's enjoying it! He'd always treated King to an extreme -short of beating him up, that is- degree of meaniness.
Folks, he physically had his own brother Joey throw out! He's not just being his usual jerk (provided there's an acceptable degree of jerkiness), he's being evil this time. I am positive that if he knew of the watch particular nature, he'd break it just to make King suffer all the same.

PS - and let's not try to forget, people, that when King accepted Fox's invitation to the GODC, he had done it in good spirit. It's Bino who's doing his best to reawaken Joel's bitterness.
Dissension wrote:This occasionally makes them consider anyone who identifies strongly with their character's antagonist evil, too. Nonetheless, Bino fans unite! x3
Good luck finding one, right now...
Last edited by valerio on Sun May 29, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

valerio wrote:By Rick's words...
What's happening tonight is called 'escalation'. It's not like picking on Peanut for the cat tail or for his cat-loving attitude. He knows he can make King suffer and he's enjoying it! He'd always treated King to an extreme -short of beating him up, that is- degree of meaniness.
Folks, he physically had his own brother Joey throw out! He's not just being his usual jerk (provided there's an acceptable degree of jerkiness), he's being evil this time. I am positive that if he knew of the watch particular nature, he'd break it just to make King suffer all the same.
The word "evil" is not on that list.

I don't like to defend Bino, but I've seen NOTHING to make me believe that he would break it knowing what it is. As you yourself noted, he's NOT having his thugs beat King up, just hold him DOWN so he can't DO anything.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

I LOVE this Update! EVIL RULES!!! HA HA HAAaaa!
valerio

Post by valerio »

All this fuss, and probabily Bino will let the hammer fall, we'll believe Bino broke it...and then Bino will return the clock to King, saying it was funny teaching him a lesson this way or something like that...
Alex

Post by Alex »

valerio wrote:All this fuss, and probabily Bino will let the hammer fall, we'll believe Bino broke it...and then Bino will return the clock to King, saying it was funny teaching him a lesson this way or something like that...
Seeing how protective he was over the clock when he was with Sasha, I doubt that will happen. Looks like he really likes it.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

I think what valerio is saying is that Bino wants to make King THINK he destroyed it but he won't. (Ironically that won't work because King would KNOW if it WASN'T destroyed.) I doubt very much that Bino will GIVE it to King but the rest isn't inconceivable. Bino doesn't even know it's King's at all, and even if he did, since when does Bino GIVE things he doesn't need to, especially to someone he doesn't like?

EDIT: Ooh, what if that's not even the real watch? What if it's a FAKE watch and Bino really DOES shatter it?
PF chars

--Phoenix

Alex

Post by Alex »

ChewyChewy wrote:EDIT: Ooh, what if that's not even the real watch? What if it's a FAKE watch and Bino really DOES shatter it?
Where else can you find a watch that says "Joel" on its back?
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

valerio wrote:All this fuss, and probabily Bino will let the hammer fall, we'll believe Bino broke it...and then Bino will return the clock to King, saying it was funny teaching him a lesson this way or something like that...
No, Bino will smash the watch (if Rick let's him of course :P ). Bino is attempting to put an end to King's resistance of his authority which he views as a desire to one-up and humiliate him. Smashing the watch is, to Bino, an ultimatum: "You cannot defeat me. I am better than you, so stop all your strutting around and showing me up."
Bino has no reason to not smash the watch.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

After reading a lot I came to the conclusion both sides do evil acts (the act itself is from a darker nature, not the reason why they do so) in order to protect their precious stuff. King did use sasha to try take his soul back (but again, she AGREED in doing so and I can't say she's stupid since the strip where she threatened Bino about the unicorn gift).
As for Bino i agree with what you guys said about him just trying to keep his rule. I could've give him some credit for acting the way he is, but the catnip bomb gift he gave to King just because of his name was way jerkish for my taste. I'm not saying Bino is evil to the point where he can't be good anymore. But if the status quo is eternal (with no character development) then I have nothing to say in Bino's defense.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Now what do you suppose Rick is doing right now? Crying over his desk while reading this? :? Or having a good laugh at all of us, because we're all dolts? Or just avoiding the boards so he doesn't have to deal with our rampant speculation?
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

He loves when we speculate! I would if I had something like this. Seeing all the guessing when you know what's going to happen would be...exciting, to me.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

PhoenixAsper wrote:Now what do you suppose Rick is doing right now? Crying over his desk while reading this? :? Or having a good laugh at all of us, because we're all dolts? Or just avoiding the boards so he doesn't have to deal with our rampant speculation?
It's one rule of the forum: speculation is futile, but fun.
another rule is: In Ricky we trust.
I don't know how this arc will end, there are plenty of possibilities, but I can cheer for one or two endings. But either if I'm wrong in my speculation, I'm pretty sure it'll be awsome.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Karl

Post by Karl »

PhoenixAsper wrote:If that's the case, I don't understand why Fox and Rex don't ditch HIM. A friendship based on the whole cat-lover issue is not a solid basis for friendship, if it is any at all. There has to be more to it.
There must be more than issues with cat lover buisness.

Since the comic was starting, we could see Fox and Rex at his side, who were supporting Bino at picking on Peanut.

Cat Tail issue
Pridelands issue

Then, they were know just as bullies who were supporting their band chief. Later, we start to learn more about Fox when he visits Fido, gets kidnapped and is involved in Milton Ferret's contest (where we also have a conversation between Bino and Fox).

However, mainly everything changes when King appears in Babylon Gardens...

King meets Fox

Then, we learn that Fox is not atually a bully. We learn about his other side. People got charmed by his open heart and his will to make a friendship with someone who is upset. In my opinion, this is when the point of view on Fox changes the most.

And then, Christmas party comes, and King gets a boom right into his face.

Christmas Party

The last panel is most important. When readers have seen Fox's reaction on Bino's words, it was judged that their friendship had officially end in a violent way, thus making Fox to go on King's side.

However...

Valentines

Month after the Christmas Party, we see Fox hanging out with Bino.
And that's it. This is the point. Bino commited something bad during a party. He made King cry. And Fox got angry at him. After what all of this happened, when it seemed that their friendship was over, they still hang out and have a good time.

And one more strip:

Peanut and Fox
Fox wrote:Why, again, am I friend with Bino and not you?
This was not adressed only to Peanut. It was also ment for readers.
Bino is a jerk. He picks on people, is greedy, manipulates for his own goals, likes to show domination. All of those features are being seen as bad. Peanut is totally different. He's nice, opened for others, friendly, kind... he's an opposite to Bino. Almost everyone would choose Peanut as a friend instead of Bino. But not Fox. Question is: why?

There must be much more than cat lover thing. Much more. Something that attaches them strongly, despite what Bino had done so far.
And we don't know yet what that is. I believe Mr. Griffin is intentionally keeping them as friends. I'm sure he is planning something.

That's why Dissension wrote what Bino feels about King and Fox's relationship. Bino is jealous and he doesn't want to loose Fox as his friend. It's like King was stepping into his territory and tries to clam something that belongs to Bino. And that drives Bino nuts. And if that drives him nuts, that means Fox actually means a lot to him as friend.

Dunno about Rex for now, since he only appeared few times in the comic :)
I'm a bookworm!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

<sigh> It's not fun for me. -_- Not all the time anyway. In this case it just makes me worry more.

I can think of endings I'd cheer for too, but what seems to occupy my mind are endings that would be unacceptable/terrible. I don't like that. :?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I like all this discussion! It reminds me of the good ol' days!
Barkeron wrote:
Sleet wrote:

Overly simplistic character interpretation.
valerio wrote:By Rick's words...
Keep in mind Bino knows nothing about the watch or its significance. It's something he found, and King is trying to take from him, and is now using very underhanded methods to get. Bino, ignoring the fact that it's literally part of King's soul (which no one ever told him), deserves to have that watch. If anything, King, who Bino felt threatened by, is now actively trying to take something from him. Bino is on the defensive now; he's only going to more extreme measures before because King is actually a threat to him for once.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Just saying, I agree with Sleet's point completely.

Crazy + Awesome = Bino
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

ChewyChewy wrote:I don't like to defend Bino, but I've seen NOTHING to make me believe that he would break it knowing what it is.
keep in mind that if he knew what it was, he'd also know who King was. If Fox's friendship means as much to Bino as some here have speculated, he may still have reason to smash the watch.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Koda

Post by Koda »

Bino's not evil. He's just (apparently) the mafia don. As such, he has to make some hard decisions.
yuki wrote: It is purpose that created us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, that drives us. It is purpose that defines us, purpose that binds us.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Sleet wrote:Keep in mind Bino knows nothing about the watch or its significance. It's something he found, and King is trying to take from him, and is now using very underhanded methods to get. Bino, ignoring the fact that it's literally part of King's soul (which no one ever told him), deserves to have that watch. If anything, King, who Bino felt threatened by, is now actively trying to take something from him. Bino is on the defensive now; he's only going to more extreme measures before because King is actually a threat to him for once.
You do realize that Bino himself acknowledges that he doesn't care about the watch but is just keeping it because he doesn't want King to have it? He's keeping it (and now smashing it) because he doesn't want King to "win" (by getting the watch back). Not that this makes him evil, just that Bino doesn't have any noble cause behind what he's doing either ;)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

He doesn't, but someone who dislikes him is essentially "attacking" him. He's attacking back. I'm not saying that's a good policy, but that's hardly for the evulz.
EvanAierkan

Post by EvanAierkan »

Bino might not be evil but a jerk for sure. No point trying to defend him for what he's doing at the moment, it's starting to go out of line and there's nothing positive in it. I bet Fox is going to show up to save King's watch, but won't give it to him unless he comes clean. Sasha might also come up, scolding Bino being a jerk who probably won't take the hint. Fox learns the truth, drama involves, cosmic nerds shows up and King has to decide on his fate, arc ends. Calling it right now.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Without resolution to ANY of that? :shock: I sure hope not.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
ChewyChewy wrote:I don't like to defend Bino, but I've seen NOTHING to make me believe that he would break it knowing what it is.
keep in mind that if he knew what it was, he'd also know who King was. If Fox's friendship means as much to Bino as some here have speculated, he may still have reason to smash the watch.
I disagree. I haven't seen BLOODlust in Bino so far that I can recall. He gave King exploding catnip but he didn't do anything to HURT him. Even NOW he isn't doing anything to hurt him physically, and he easily could, with two thugs.
PF chars

--Phoenix

Cory

Post by Cory »

Somehow, I think Bino would still smash it if he knew what it was. Just becayse he's on the spot and wouldn't want to lose face in front of everyone.
And Fox and Bino being friends kinda seems status quo to me. As in "I'm a dog, you're a dog, we live in the same neighborhood, therefore we hang out." Peanut being the outcast and doing his own thing basically seems like the reason that he and Fox are just acquaintances.