Tech Talk

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Beagle

Re: Tech Talk

Post by Beagle »

yehoshua wrote:Well a solid state drive might be helpful because it won't break if it shakes a little.
I know that; a SSD in my iPod would be especially useful seeing as how I drop it constantly. A converter and a compact flash card can turn it into a makeshift (and fairly cheap) SSD.

@Shho13- That's perfectly okay! Your post was pretty interesting too. :3 Thank you for your time!

@Anthroguy- Just to clarify, are you using it to record people singing or is this just a headset for like talking to people online via Skype or computer games? I honestly don't know much of anything about good vocal microphones (but I have a few friends in the music department that I can probably ask), but for just a simple headset used for talking I bought a used Xbox headset at Gamestop and then a cheap little adapter at RadioShack and that's been working perfectly for me.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Beagle wrote:
yehoshua wrote:@Anthroguy- Just to clarify, are you using it to record people singing or is this just a headset for like talking to people online via Skype or computer games? I honestly don't know much of anything about good vocal microphones (but I have a few friends in the music department that I can probably ask), but for just a simple headset used for talking I bought a used Xbox headset at Gamestop and then a cheap little adapter at RadioShack and that's been working perfectly for me.
Yes, it's a vocal microphone for singing actual music.
Retinq

Post by Retinq »

I found this article on the net:

The 500 Ghz Processor, Worlds Fastest Processor

Researchers from IBM and Georgia Institute of Technology designed and built a computer processor that broke the world speed record reaching an astonishing 500GHz speed, more than one hundred times faster than the fastest commonly available computer chip.

The chips were made from silicon-germanium (SiGe). Gallium is used to better performance and lower power consumption.

The processor made by IBM and GIT run at a whopping speed of 350Ghz in room temprature as compaerd to the commercially availible processors which range froom 1Ghz to 3.8Ghz. Lowering the temprature to -450 degrees Farenheit made the chip touch the speed of 500Ghz which translates into 1/2 trillion calculations per second.breaking the world reord for the Fastest chip ever made.

SiGe chips, the scientists theorized, could eventually hit 1 terahertz, or 1 trillion cycles a second.

:shock:

Hmm...how about making a Tech Talk - Science thread? this one is all about electronics.
Actually, its RETINQ. See, Retinq. Q.

Post by Aarden »

Those news about 500GHz were from 06/07 though D:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Does anyone know where I can still buy a power cable for this monitor?
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... 3#Overview

Or heck, any ideas I can do for improvision to get this thing working?
Retinq

Post by Retinq »

Beagle wrote:Does anyone know where I can still buy a power cable for this monitor?
http://htaccessories.dell.com/sna/produ ... 3#Overview

I found a picture of it. It's a regular IEC power cable. you can buy it anywhere. just find a computer shop and ask for a power cable. :D
Were you looking for this?

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I'm considering getting an AKG D5. It's well within in my price range, and at that price I can probably afford to get a stand and a pop filter.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Retinq wrote:
Beagle wrote:Does anyone know where I can still buy a power cable for this monitor?
http://htaccessories.dell.com/sna/produ ... 3#Overview

I found a picture of it. It's a regular IEC power cable. you can buy it anywhere. just find a computer shop and ask for a power cable. :D
Were you looking for this?
Thank you for that. :) I did find a power cable from a friend. Then we discovered that the LCD screen (which we already knew was damaged, I was given it as a kind of "gift") was busted beyond the monitor's entire worth. So there goes replacing my dad's nasty old CRT monitor. XD
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

AT&T is about to start giving free WIFI to 20 different parks in New York because they always get all the good stuff.
Sent from my conifer.
Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

Awesome! I should go check it out! Although it would cost me over 20 bucks, and about a half hour just to get to the city for the "free" wifi! I know the people who have apartments right next to the parks will be happy! Free internet! Haha!
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Shho13 wrote:Awesome! I should go check it out! Although it would cost me over 20 bucks, and about a half hour just to get to the city for the "free" wifi! I know the people who have apartments right next to the parks will be happy! Free internet! Haha!
You gringos always get the good stuff T_T
Sent from my conifer.
Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

It is kinda awesome, acutally, though I can go anywhere for free Wi-Fi, no need to go to a park... You can go to almost anywhere for free Wi-Fi, I can go to McDonalds, Starbucks, Barns & Nobles, ect... I guess once you get used to all the stuff that is around, you take things for granted... I guess that its not available in your area, huh... Sorry about that.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

People here have that strange tendency of asociating WIFI with Wii Fit.
Sent from my conifer.
redmarker97

Post by redmarker97 »

yehoshua wrote:People here have that strange tendency of asociating WIFI with Wii Fit.
How does that... I don't even...?
Seriously. Ones a gaming console accessory. The other is a form of connection to the Internet. Might I ask how the -heck- this happens?!
Psykeout wrote:
redmarker97 wrote:WMD's.
Waterballoons of Mass Drenching.
Echo of Eden(Over XBL): "3 Kill Streak! Ford Pinto is read for combat!"
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Similar pronunciations, in spanish people tend to pronounce WIFI "weefee" and Wii Fit as "weefeet" so... yeah.
Sent from my conifer.
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Hello! I have some question that guitarists (I saw some in the Do you play guitar topic) might know! Image Especially the electric guitar ones, but it's also technical in nature.

What kind of electrical signal waveform does the oscillating string produce? I mean, when the metallic string oscillates near the pickup, which contains coil and some magnetic core and it causes electromagnetic induction in the wire, that's then transferred into the amplifier, but I'm interested into this unprocessed signal.

Changing the length of the string (well not actual length, but only the length that's loose and can oscillate) changes the frequency of the oscillation, but what's the produced waveform? Theoretically, the frequency adjusts to the length, so the wavelength is equal to a multiply (or half?) of the length of the loose part, so the oscillation is perfectly sine. However, that would probably require you to pluck the string right in the middle and if you do it somewhere else, the amplitude of the waveform won't be in the center and the oscillations would "bounce" from the ends of the string creating a super positioned waveform.

The thing is, normal acoustic guitar has complex waveform, that's superposition of several sine waveforms (well any harmonic signal is composed from them, including the square waveform), but I'm not sure how this is produced - is it by the actual oscillation of the string, that directly produces the waveform, or is the sound produced by the string just a single sine and the sound waves bounce from the inside walls of the guitar, interfering with the new ones and creating a composed wavelength.

The actual oscillation of the string is what's my interest. You see, I'm working on a sound WPU a sound generator chip and I want to use it to create a new programmable musical instrument, so I'll have some strings there, their oscillations converted to an analog electrical signal and fed trough ADC into an input buffer (to compensate for variable number of cycles needed to calculate a single sample), but I need to know the exact shape of the waveform produced, because if it's not a basic sine, I need to transform it into one, but I can't use the band-pass filter because the frequency changes and what if I actually remove/distort some wanted frequencies?

I don't have an electric guitar nor a string with a pickup so I could measure it right now, actually I'm not working even on the WPU sound generator chip, but I'm doing some research, so I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Also I wonder what kind of input buffer I'll use and how to handle buffer overflows and underflow, because the machine code and output sound buffer won't be exactly in sync (not to mention that there will be two output buffers and there might be actually several passes before the current half of the buffer is finalized and ready to be played after the other one is finished playing and the program needs to wait until the buffer's can be swapped... hmm... unless I use triple sound buffering, that will help a lot, both for output and input probably... just to keep them in sync. Though I don't really need triple for input, since only one buffer will be filled with data at the time, so I need just two for input, though it must be accessible for reading and writing from two locations at the same time, but I can actually solve that with time multiplex and frequency that's at least double of the sampling frequency... Hmm... yeah... *goes to write some notes* Image
hug_overflow.asm wrote: LOOP: HUG #Peanut, #Grape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

My guitar teacher told me that they just have small microphones where the mouth of an acoustic guitar should be. I was surprised at how uncomplicated it was too.
Sent from my conifer.
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Microphone? Image Is he kidding? Sound quality of such solution would be horrible not only because it would pick up a lot of other sounds than just the one generated by the string.
No there's a coil around a ferromagnetic core and the oscillation - movement of the metallic string causes electromagnetic induction - low electric signal just like I explained above. Unless he calls this a microphone, which is not correct.

But I was just wondering about even a bigger problem: speed and how many cycles will be required to calculate a sample. I would need at least 50M-cycles and depending on how many oscillator cycles are needed for a single cycle, would determine the clock frequency, ideally it would be scalar, but I'll probably need to design it as superscalar and use parallel processing, because if there will be several runs to complete a buffer and there would be a huge risk (if not certainty) of buffer underflows... So I would need to process several points at once, but that's complicated by the fact that some points depend on a position of another one, so either I'm going to waste cycles by waiting for the result, or always use the previous result, but there would be still some sync required, because some points might require more cycles than some other and they just can't run wild, not to mention that the fast ones depending on slow ones would be limited and I get back to wasting cycles... It would be better to run several runs on a one buffer in parallel, then again there would be wasted machine time for a single run... I guess I can't avoid wasting in some scenarios if I want enough performance, enough parallel runs to complete and mix buffers and more complex calculations for a point. I need to think of something to optimize the usage and still provide high performance Image. Any ideas?
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Retinq

Post by Retinq »

I saw it once. Not sine. My physics teacher showed it, but you can find it on the net:

Bass guitar D

Relevant site.
Relevant site.

Theoretically it should look like this.

Hmm...Looks like the frequency of springs attached to each other. I tried to help but i don't know much about this.
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The perfect sinusoid wave would happen if the string were infinitesimally thin, had purely longitudinal tension and no shear, and was played exactly at the 12th fret rather than near the bridge. Each deviation from this ideal string provides additional overlaying sinusoid waves which combine to form the waveform you see on an oscilloscope. That's why unwound strings tend to sound "cleaner."

Other question: I got a used car and the speakers rattle and buzz a bit, particularly with pianos and electric guitar solos. Is this repairable or does it need to be replaced, and if so, how much do you think that would cost for a fairly standard sedan?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Sleet wrote:The perfect sinusoid wave would happen if the string were infinitesimally thin, had purely longitudinal tension and no shear, and was played exactly at the 12th fret rather than near the bridge. Each deviation from this ideal string provides additional overlaying sinusoid waves which combine to form the waveform you see on an oscilloscope. That's why unwound strings tend to sound "cleaner."

Other question: I got a used car and the speakers rattle and buzz a bit, particularly with pianos and electric guitar solos. Is this repairable or does it need to be replaced, and if so, how much do you think that would cost for a fairly standard sedan?
Not sure about the price, but pop the speakers and check the connections. It could also be your radio. My little brother stuck quarters in ours until the speakers started acting up (No joke).
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Do what now? Don't let my knowledge of physics fool you into thinking I am any good at taking things apart and/or fixing them. :lol:

It's not the radio, because it happens with MP3 as well. I haven't tried a CD but I imagine that'll happen too.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

What I meant by radio is the speaker control system (which is in the radio). That can also go bad and the speakers could be fine. The only way to properly test would be to swap out speakers for known good speakers.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Retinq: cool, thanks. Image I'll probably need to obtain some strings and the pickup and experiment with filtration and wave transformation to obtain what I need, I'll perform also some experiments with the natural waveforms, how will they sound. Maybe it would be interesting to provide both filtered (pure sine) and unfiltered waveform to the machine code to produce different sound effects. It's up to the program anyway, how it will interpret these values. I'll perform some tests in the emulator, before I start building a prototype. Image

What's a bigger problem though, is the processing speed, assuming I want to provide reasonable number of runs on a buffer before it's finalized and reasonable number of points, each having assigned reasonable number of instructions and prevent buffer underruns. The best way to achieve that would be most probably rich and complex instruction set, reducing number of needed instructions per tasks (and providing special oscillation instructions), although that increases the complexity of the controller core, which I want to implement in parallel, although I need quite massive parallelism, to process not only runs, but also points in parallel. Ideally, the queue controller would fill the processing cores with instructions from all points of all concurrent runs ideally, so the instruction wouldn't block it for too long.

If I simply store previous result of each point, then I don't have to wait in calculations for it and I can process all points concurrently without any locking, however, there's still going to be some synchronization needed, because sample will need to be finalized, before calculating a new set of points. However, because the separate runs are independent until they're finally mixed, I might transfer the locking into the queue manager and simply prevent it from filling more instructions from a locked run, which would in turn provide more space for other runs. I think that sounds like a good idea, that would use the sound processor efficiently and still provide high superscalar performance. Problem is, the results would be dependent on the program itself and some of the possible programs might produce suboptimal results. Image
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Hello everyone! I have a question for all you with a little iPod or maybe even some programming experience.

I have the Scarlet Letter book in my iTunes library, and I have pinpointed its exact file location. However, I can't seem to open it with my computer. I also think Apple said it is an HTML document? I'm trying to open it so I can Copy & Paste certain passages into Word so I don't have to type huge pieces. This is for my English project. How may I open it so I may save my time and my Carpal Tunnel from getting any worse? :P

Type of File: "EPUB File (.epub)"
Opens with: Windows Shell Common(I can't see the rest of it)

Yes, I am aware that iTunes says it's not possible to open with a computer. Yeah, okay, right. :P
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

This is a list of EPUB readers. I don't think you would need an editor just to copy text. I don't know anything more about any of those programs, so if anyone else has a few cents to input... :D
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Obbl wrote:This is a list of EPUB readers. I don't think you would need an editor just to copy text. I don't know anything more about any of those programs, so if anyone else has a few cents to input... :D
Thank you Obbl! =) I don't have any of those programs though, so it didn't help. But thanks! That article is very informative and I'll take any tech knowledge I can get. =D

I found two converters that I'll try tomorrow; they look like at least one of them might do the trick?

http://www.epubtopdfconverter.net/epub-to-text.html

http://www.epubtopdfconverter.net/epub-to-doc.html

^ (That's also kinda for me so I can find them again when I look them up on my better laptop tomorrow. :P )

And, just out of curiosity, what program can you use to copy/extract the text off of a picture?
For example, if I scanned a page from a book and it created a picture file, and then say I wanted to extract/copy this text so I could paste it into a Word document or Notepad? [/trying to be a productive student]
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

What are your expectations for Google+?
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I got invited to Google+ and I still have some spare invites (i think) if you want me to invite you.
The only requirements is a Gmail account.
Sent from my conifer.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

yehoshua wrote:I got invited to Google+ and I still have some spare invites (i think) if you want me to invite you.
The only requirements is a Gmail account.
WANT. I'll PM you my Gmail.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Hey, this is probably irrelevant for most of you, but for anyone with an iPod Touch:

I've run into the annoyance of having my albums listed multiple times with the new(er) firmware. Many people are suggesting to just downgrade to the older fireware, but there is a much easier solution. Go onto your iTunes and highlight all the songs that are being listed too many times. Click "Get more info" and get to that window and all that.... Then type in "Various Artists" to the Album Artist label. It SHOULD fix itself then. I found this useful when all my Now That's What I Call Music! CDs kept getting listed 30 times each. ;D
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

My Skype's kinda had a problem where it keeps shutting itself down due to an unexpected problem. It works for a minute or so then suddenly...

Anybody have any clue how to fix this?
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Have you tried reinstalling skype?:3
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

yeah. I've done it 5 times already...
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Ooh, Aaron, I think I've had the same problem as you. I had a stupid little glitch where if I didn't click the "profile" tab (verses that "News" tab or whatever that Skype automatically loads when it first starts), the entire program would freeze and it'd kick me off. I dunno why it does it, and the only advice I can give you is clicking onto the profile tab AS SOON AS Skype loads so it won't crash. My Skype glitch fixed itself on its own accord after a while... You just have to grit your teeth and deal with it in the mean time.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

thanks a lot for the information, it is working now! :mrgreen:
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Hey guys, I did something stupid today
Well, that's not really news; the point is, I removed a disc drive from my computer and replaced it. I removed a disc drive with a disc still in it.

What I'm wondering is, is there a way to manually "eject" the drive when it is not being hosted by a computer? Because that would be preferable to taking out the one I put in and putting the old one back and then taking the disc out and then taking the drive out and putting the new one back in again.
Image Image
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

You mean like where you put CD-ROMs and the like in? There should be a teeny tiny pin hole somewhere on the outside of the drive. (Usually below where the tray lives). You stick a straight pin/safety pin/needle in there to open it. Usually.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Obbl wrote:You mean like where you put CD-ROMs and the like in? There should be a teeny tiny pin hole somewhere on the outside of the drive. (Usually below where the tray lives). You stick a straight pin/safety pin/needle in there to open it. Usually.
I'm assuming this is on the outer casing?
In that case I'll try this as soon as I can find a safety pin
Image Image
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I considered proposing an alternate solution, but determined enhanced risk of damage to the disc would be detrimental, which makes it moot.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other