RandomGeek's Chat Thread Featuring Sleet and Pea: Episode 29

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Psykeout

Re: RandomGeek's Chat Thread Featuring Sleet and Pea: Episod

Post by Psykeout »

Really, I feel sorry for them. I know they try really hard to be socially accepted and popular, and it's really important to them, and they're willing to sacrifice their uniqueness for that. They work really hard to be plastic.
So when people like that give me trouble, I just let them. I know they're hurt deep down.
bwah bwah
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Psykeout wrote:
sonic id furreh!!! wrote:i call most people nobodies nowadays, only because they act the same, listen to the same music, dress the same, do the same stuff, etc ._.
I wouldn't say that. I'm all for non-conformity, but i don't think you NEED to be an entirely unique individual to have a personal identity. Also, having common interests doesn't mean that there aren't things that distinguish them from all the other conformists. Society is a little to hard on the people who enjoy conforming to the norms. Most people who are against conformity are just conforming to the norms of anti-conformity, anyway.
This sounds like I don't know what i'm talking about, but just ignore me if it makes me sound stupid, please.
Makes sense to me, non-comformity for the sake of itself is really based on the exact same principle of conformity based on itself, which is that the way other people do things directly dictates what you do.
Daggy wrote:Madness. To be an individual, I must be alone, with no one around to stain my ideals! THIS IS HOW IT MUST GO, SIR.
This sounds like Lord Henry McRamblesalot Wotton
sonic id furreh!!! wrote:but i'm just talking about the people that if you were with them in a large group, you wouldn't be able to single anyone out or find a certain person.... so basically the people who are EXACTLY the same
Oh, wait, this is a different issue entirely. In this case, it's less of an issue of conformity and more of an issue of human cloning. You'll want to start by finding the mad scientist who's raising an unbeatable clone army. Then fine him if he does not have a permit.
Image Image
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

CaptainPea wrote:Makes sense to me, non-comformity for the sake of itself is really based on the exact same principle of conformity based on itself, which is that the way other people do things directly dictates what you do.
yay, i don't sound like an idiot all the time. :D
CaptainPea wrote:sounds like like
bwah bwah
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Lol, conformity. In my opinion, the only way to avoid it is to not think about it at all, really. It seems like everyone is trying to be one of a popular group or a unique "non-conformist" hipster like group.

I consider myself to a non-conformist because I'm not influenced by anyone except myself, I accept anyone unbiased to what their taste in music is (or anything else for that matter) or how they live their lifestyle as a friend, and I don't consider my ways of life or taste in anything to be superior of others.
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

Kitela wrote:Lol, conformity. In my opinion, the only way to avoid it is to not think about it at all, really. It seems like everyone is trying to be one of a popular group or a unique "non-conformist" hipster like group.
i consider popularity on how good someone is with people, like if they can just strike a conversation with anyone and is friends friends with everyone
Kitela wrote:I consider myself to a non-conformist because I'm not influenced by anyone except myself, I accept anyone unbiased to what their taste in music is (or anything else for that matter) or how they live their lifestyle as a friend, and I don't consider my ways of life or taste in anything to be superior of others.
the only thing that would really effect my opinion is how they treat everyone else :/
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:i consider popularity on how good someone is with people, like if they can just strike a conversation with anyone and is friends friends with everyone
I was talking about the people who chose to follow trends.
sonic id furreh!!!

Kitela wrote:
sonic id furreh!!! wrote:i consider popularity on how good someone is with people, like if they can just strike a conversation with anyone and is friends friends with everyone
I was talking about the people who chose to follow trends.
i know, but you mentioned the word "popular" and that made me think of all that ;3
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Trends tend to be popular.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

CaptainPea wrote:They're teaching us "netiquette", a word I'm fairly sure nobody who is familiar with the internet has ever used.
Guess what's way worse than the word netiquette? The consistent use of quotation marks around it:
My Health Teacher wrote:Make sure a level of respect is maintained and "netiquette" is being used!
Is it a word or isn't it? I feel like I'm living in Curtis.
(I realize I did initially put quotation marks around my first use of the word, but I'm fairly sure that's common practice when introducing jargon or slang. Like, I might say, "He posted a message on Twitter, or "tweeted", about his life. He continued to tweet about his life")

Speaking of my arbitrarily selected example, I'm somewhat unhappy with the way people are using "tweet" as a verb in reference to Twitter (more than partially because, unlike "google", it was a verb before it adopted this second meaning), but I grudgingly accept it because it has a clear meaning and is simpler to say than "post a message on Twitter".

I do not, however, like the use of Facebook as a verb. When somebody says "I'm facebooking, it's kind of straightforward (it still sounds weird and informal, but I'm the only one who doesn't like that), but use of "facebook" as a verb with a direct object is evil and needs to end. It could mean that you intend to talk to them through Facebook, or look up their page through Facebook, or post something on Facebook at them, or any myriad of things because Facebook does not have a single defining function like Twitter or Google do. It's an awkward, cumbersome word and its use in this sense is unclear, so there is no reason for it to exist.
Daggy wrote:Trends tend to be popular.
I've noticed that too, weird.
Image Image
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

It's like a sickness, some are contagious and some aren't.

To those that spread, people eventually grow immunity, fight it off temporarily or perish with those it infected.

On a semi-related note: This would make jeans the AIDS of the modern trend world. LoL

I love being silly.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Psykeout wrote:
Sleet wrote:Actually you were completely right, Psykeout. The only way to truly avoid conforming is to like what you truly like. If that means liking the same thing as everyone else, you have to be willing to accept that you like it. To do otherwise is to conform to some artificial ideal of nonconformity.
High school is a great place to observe all the trends. Not everyone has everything figured out, and everyone is struggling to establish a social niche.
Now that I'm in college it's kind of funny to look at the high school kids. They try so hard. :lol:
Psykeout wrote:So when people like that give me trouble, I just let them. I know they're hurt deep down.
And that's a great way to go about things.
The amusing part of this statement is that it's a trend.
CaptainPea wrote:I do not, however, like the use of Facebook as a verb. When somebody says "I'm facebooking, it's kind of straightforward (it still sounds weird and informal, but I'm the only one who doesn't like that), but use of "facebook" as a verb with a direct object is evil and needs to end. It could mean that you intend to talk to them through Facebook, or look up their page through Facebook, or post something on Facebook at them, or any myriad of things because Facebook does not have a single defining function like Twitter or Google do. It's an awkward, cumbersome word and its use in this sense is unclear, so there is no reason for it to exist.
Facebook is just asking for bizarre half-cussed neologisms to happen. Additionally, my mom refuses to say she's Facebook friens with someone. No, she's "on Facebook with them."
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Sleet wrote:Facebook is just asking for bizarre half-cussed neologisms to happen. Additionally, my mom refuses to say she's Facebook friens with someone. No, she's "on Facebook with them."
"Friend" is another verb I only accept because it is clear. (For the record, there is already a perfectly usable word meaning "to become friends"; befriend.) Also, friend just sounds oddly forceful to me when used as a verb, I don't know why.
Sleet wrote:
Psykeout wrote:
Sleet wrote:Actually you were completely right, Psykeout. The only way to truly avoid conforming is to like what you truly like. If that means liking the same thing as everyone else, you have to be willing to accept that you like it. To do otherwise is to conform to some artificial ideal of nonconformity.
High school is a great place to observe all the trends. Not everyone has everything figured out, and everyone is struggling to establish a social niche.
Now that I'm in college it's kind of funny to look at the high school kids. They try so hard. :lol:
We try the hardest, and we also have a tendency to not try at all. Like right now, when I'm supposed to be doing work but I'm instead writing manifestos explaining my opinions of the use of casual internet slang.
Image Image
Liam

Post by Liam »

I'm just plussing so I can hangouting.
Must be a new meme, or so.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

I tried my hardest to try as little as possible, if that makes sense. I'll show you, teachers that don't actually care about the students they teach!

In hindsight, I shouldn't have done that. Left me in an awful, awkward place.

Sleet wrote:
The amusing part of this statement is that it's a trend.
Oh no, I'm trendy now. D:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I wear a tail because tails are cool. Not because other people don't wear tails. That's how to non-conform!

And I can't stand slang for slang's sake.
Liam wrote:I'm just plussing so I can hangouting.
*twitches*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Sleet wrote:I wear a tail because tails are cool. Not because other people don't wear tails. That's how to non-conform!
You only do stuff you like because other people do things they like, you disgusting conformist
I've thought about plussing, but I have yet to be invitationed, and I don't ever facebook so I don't eyeballs what I would use it for.
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ruffian pennyante disparges, grottoes marquee?
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Sleet wrote:
*twitches*
By my guesstimate, that makes you a moist frenemy, irregardless of whatever you say.

*boils himself in soap and water*
Sleet wrote:I wear a tail because tails are cool. Not because other people don't wear tails. That's how to non-conform!
I wear a collar, and I realized it's actually an interesting thing. On the one hand, I wear it to conform to cool furry trends. But the other very large part of it is that I enjoy expressing my non-conformity. It got even more complicated when a guy at my school started copying me, wearing a (very lovely) black dog collar. He was conforming to my expression of non conformity that I was using that was unique and non conformist to the typical expression of non conformity whilst also conforming to a subculture.

So now I'm just like whatever man.
bwah bwah
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Psykeout wrote:
Sleet wrote:
*twitches*
By my guesstimate, that makes you a moist frenemy, irregardless of whatever you say.

*boils himself in soap and water*
Those are at least the right parts of speech, even if some of them are quasi-words at best.
And I'm glad you used water. It's not easy to boil soap.
Psykeout wrote:So now I'm just like whatever man.
A quick search indicates that "Whatever Man" is the name of a musical about "disturbed Superheroes". I'm intrigued that this is your role model.
Image Image
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

CaptainPea wrote:
Psykeout wrote:By my guesstimate, that makes you a moist frenemy, irregardless of whatever you say.
Those are at least the right parts of speech, even if some of them are quasi-words at best.
I was xkcding
CaptainPea wrote:
A quick search indicates that "Whatever Man" is the name of a musical about "disturbed Superheroes". I'm intrigued that this is your role model.
I want to eyeballs that musical.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Psykeout wrote:
CaptainPea wrote:
Psykeout wrote:By my guesstimate, that makes you a moist frenemy, irregardless of whatever you say.
I was xkcding
CaptainPea wrote:
I want to eyeballs that musical.
"Hey! Stop eyeballsing my wife!"

(Too bad the proper quote from that xkcd comic you referenced isn't allowed here.)
sonic id furreh!!!

i just had the best oven baked pizza ever! o.o
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

Pizza sounds delicious right now....

Well, speaking of non conformaty, I am a man well aquainted with it. I have never been one for nomality I find it boring and tend to stear clear of it. the way I act, talk and dress all stand out from the norm.

Stranger things have happened, and do, with alarming regularity.

--Vespier R. Leo
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I don't eat pizza. Too greasy for me.

I conform accidentally. Never intentionally. Then again, I never intentionally go against it either...
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

I lack the ability to conform, mostly because I lack a proper classification for my social capabilities, and who I am in general.

I'm... "wierd", as most people would quite bluntly put it.
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

I get sick off pizza a lot. Mostly because I have a pizza place named after me and I get free pizza when ever I want.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

That's awesome, Mana.

Conformity is laaaaaame.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Tha Housefox wrote:That's awesome, Mana.

Conformity is laaaaaame.
Everyone conforms to some extent, and everyone is unique to some extent.
bwah bwah
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

sonic id furreh!!! wrote:i just had the best oven baked pizza ever! o.o
Oooh, did you bake it yourself?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I usually just like delivery pizza. There are some good, cheap places so it's not much more than oven pizza.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I remember a story from a while ago, me and my brothers ordered some pizza for delivery over the phone, but they still had not arrived even after like 1 1/2 hours.

Then, we got a call from the pizza place, and the clerk told us that the delivery guy was caught in an accident, and was sent to the hospital for injuries. The pizza place gave us like 50% discount on our order that finally arrived after another 1/2 hour.

I felt bad for the first guy, but getting the discount was sweet! Urm, I feel bad now...

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Matchbox pizza.
They have like four restaurants in DC and then one in California for no reason
kurowolfe wrote:Then, we got a call from the pizza place, and the clerk told us that the delivery guy was caught in an accident, and was sent to the hospital for injuries.
Ooh. Usually when our pizza's late the driver just gets lost somehow, and we'll call and be informed that they're several miles away...
Sleet wrote:I usually just like delivery pizza. There are some good, cheap places so it's not much more than oven pizza.
Sole D'Italia
Which again is only around here.

I'M SO ELITIST WITH MY LOCAL PIZZA PLACES
Image Image
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

I don't always eat pizza, but when i do, I eat Red Baron frozen pizzas.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

CaptainPea wrote:Sole D'Italia

Whatever man, you've probably never heard of it.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Oh look, Google turned evil.

A corporate entity turning evil? What a surprise.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

How is that evil? Their terms of service disallow pseudonyms.
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

Social Networks will always be evil and restrictive like Facebook in which I can't have my username as I want. >:(
In a time warp from 2011.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's not a username, it's your name. Google+ has a field for any and all nicknames, though. Plus you have a tagline under your name you can use for stuff like that if you so choose.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Evil is killing and manipulating people
Attempting to maximize the amount of money made in a situation is essentially the point of any business venture.

Considering Google+ is a voluntary service, don't give personal information to Google if you don't trust them. It's not like they're tricking you into doing it, it's pretty clear that it's a social networking service that uses your name, so you know up front what information you're giving them.

I think it's silly of them to be so strict about what you're allowed to fill in as your name, but I think evil is several steps further away.
Sleet wrote:
CaptainPea wrote:Sole D'Italia

Whatever man, you've probably never heard of it.
Yeah man, it's like this stuff with cheese and tomato sauce, but obviously you're too mainstream to like that kind of stuff.
Image Image
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

kurowolfe wrote:I remember a story from a while ago, me and my brothers ordered some pizza for delivery over the phone, but they still had not arrived even after like 1 1/2 hours.

Then, we got a call from the pizza place, and the clerk told us that the delivery guy was caught in an accident, and was sent to the hospital for injuries. The pizza place gave us like 50% discount on our order that finally arrived after another 1/2 hour.

I felt bad for the first guy, but getting the discount was sweet! Urm, I feel bad now...
Wait..... The pizzas weren't free!? Even if was hour and half of waiting?
In a time warp from 2011.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.