A Game Concept

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

FowlJ

A Game Concept

Post by FowlJ »

I've started working on a game. That's about as in-depth of an introduction I can give before jumping right into the details, so I will do this now.

The idea is for a first person survival/horror type game. Much of it, particularly story, is still a work in progress, but I wanted to create this thread to bounce ideas off of everyone.

The setting is going to be mainly or entirely indoors - It would have to be quite a large building, though, so I was thinking a castle or some such structure with some sort of catacombs under it. The idea is that the higher levels would start off as a sort of safe haven, but would progressively become less so until the player is pushed into the underground. (The player could of course push into the underground on their own - That is likely where most of the story would take place.)

Magic will be a major plot point. The player will get access to this magic at some point, but it will not automatically make them some sort of all-powerful god; the powers will take a toll on the player, and using them too much will end up killing you. (Not to mention that enemies are still extremely powerful whether you use magic or not - The main thing is that some enemies can only be harmed by magic.) I was thinking of having enemies more or less invincible, but while I don't want the game to turn into a shooter, I want the player to be able to fight back. If I do it right, that could even be more tense than simply a run-for-your-life sort of thing.

The player is not alone, at least not at first. The other people with you can die (Which may or may not be scripted, though likely at least one will be.), and when they do, they are brought back as the most dangerous enemies, while still retaining elements of the person that they were. (They will sometimes say things to you that fit the person's personality, in a distorted version of that person's voice.) Each character, when actually designed, will have their own distinctive personality, which should hopefully make for these enemies being pretty terrifying.

Food, drink, and possibly sleep will be required - Additionally, there will be a sanity system (and an associated 'paranoia' system).

Firearms will be powerful, but there will be a limited amount of ammunition in the game. Once you run through it, it's gone.

I'm running through some other ideas in my head, but these are some of the basics. I'm working on story, character and enemy design, and how things are going to run internally, and would be very interested to hear anyone's opinions or ideas about the project.

I'm pretty sure I actually meant to say more than I did, but I'm pretty sure I'll think of it later.
Tattorack

Re: A Game Concept

Post by Tattorack »

Well, all I can say at the moment is that its not a "stock" idea.
Sounds very original.
I'd have to do some thinking to help........... like imagine it and
such......
I has Deviant... urrm... by same name (durr)
FowlJ

Post by FowlJ »

Well, one could argue that is technically a ridiculously large collection of stock ideas, mashed together into something so bizarre it could actually work. :lol:
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

Well, that's how you get something new... I think...
I has Deviant... urrm... by same name (durr)
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

run with it man it's a cool idea.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz