Homework Thread

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Re: Homework Thread

Post by Seth »

Cm4F wrote:I just started a paper on another one of T.S. Eliot's poems | "The Hallow Men" |

It's incredible hard to understand

Can anyone tell what this poem is about!!!!?!?!?!????!?!!
hmmmm
He seems to be describing some kind of wierd state between life and death, not sure if you want to take that literally or look into what the symbolism of it is.
that probably didnt help but I really liked the poem, so I figured I'd try.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Cm4F wrote:I just started a paper on another one of T.S. Eliot's poems | "The Hallow Men" |

Best thing is to read over it a few times and then give your honest view of what you think it's about. A good teacher doesn't want cookie cutter, they want your thoughts, even if they aren't always spot on.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

so...I have exams in January. I have not began studying/revising yet...What are your methods? Not your schedules if you don't mind, but your methods. Like, do you use mind maps, sticky notes, just read notes highlighting etc?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

This is going to be totally helpful. I... don't study for tests. I just do well on them.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Amusing how most of the tests I fail on are the ones I study for, the ones I don't care about are the ones I do best on.
Sent from my conifer.
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

Seth wrote:

hmmmm
He seems to be describing some kind of wierd state between life and death, not sure if you want to take that literally or look into what the symbolism of it is.
that probably didnt help but I really liked the poem, so I figured I'd try.
Foxstar wrote:
Best thing is to read over it a few times and then give your honest view of what you think it's about. A good teacher doesn't want cookie cutter, they want your thoughts, even if they aren't always spot on.
Just for those of you who don't know this, in these essays, I have to find something to prove.
What I have decided to do is prove that negation further supports and proves one of the themes of the poem which is "Nothingness, meaninglessness, and paralysis."

Negation meaning the author using contradictory, Present Simple, stanzas.

For example, when he says, "We are the hollow men, / We are the stuffed men," (Eliot 1) both lines cancel each other out, kind of like in math - Positive 1 and Negative 1 canceling each other out.

Just imagine my excitement after coming up with this idea for a six page paper... and realizing it has to be done on Thursday.

And just a word of advice for people who will soon be writing these kinds of essays, if you want a good idea for a topic, go to Google Scholar, search the title/author and find a scholarly article/analysis.

These things are my lifelines, and I love them, A LOT!!!!

Whenever I have to write these things, follow a list of steps:

1. Find an Article and Essay Topic.
2. Write a Proposal with a Three Point Theses.
3. Write an outline that has as many pages as the Essay is supposed to be. (Makes paper easier and longer)
4. Have at least Two quotes for each Roman Numeral.
5. Start converting Each Roman Numeral into its own Paragraph within the outline.
6. After having Each Body Paragraph done, write the Introduction and the Conclusion.
7. Delete Outline structure and the The Paper is finished.
8. Meet MLA/APA requirements.
9. Site Work.
10. Print and turn in.
11. Hope that all goes well.

P.S. | I Don't Know Why I Just Quoted Y'all In This.
Oh Well!!!
ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

This probably won't be helpful for a lot of you but it's something I always did.

Get a regular size piece of paper and super condense your information so your formulas and lecture notes from the entire semester gets compiled there. That's usually all the studying I do for some classes.

Now obviously this doesn't work on language classes but it works well for math, physics, easy class, etc.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

44R0NM10 wrote:so...I have exams in January. I have not began studying/revising yet...What are your methods? Not your schedules if you don't mind, but your methods. Like, do you use mind maps, sticky notes, just read notes highlighting etc?
Wanderer wrote:Get a regular size piece of paper and super condense your information so your formulas and lecture notes from the entire semester gets compiled there. That's usually all the studying I do for some classes.
Wanderer makes a very good point. That'll help you tons in math-based classes.

I first start my finals studying by going through my notes and highlighting all important information. Then I usually condense everything onto a few sheets of paper. After that, I find any tests or quizzes I've done and rework the problems to see just how much I remember. For the more "there's a situation for every problem" classes like Geometry and Chemistry, I'll usually take it a step further and go back and study any old homework or classwork that I have.

I find this works well for every class except history. Although, we have these nifty little packets that our teachers buy (called Jason Adam's packets) that underline or bold most terms/concepts that appear on our state-mandated finals. So that usually takes care of that.

Oh, and remember: if you're studying for an English class, make sure to study any vocabulary you've learned over the term.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I'm really glad my school doesn't have partials/midterms/whatever you call it.
Sent from my conifer.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

My finals plan: open my world history textbook read a few pages of boring and sleep. Wake up and procrastinate more, eventually getting stressed about not doing anything but waste my time the entire day.

Don't follow this example!

Oh yeah midterms suck too.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Best way to beat insomnia: history textbooks.
Sent from my conifer.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Math works for me. I can't even read a chapter without my eyes going >.>
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

44R0NM10 wrote:so...I have exams in January. I have not began studying/revising yet...What are your methods? Not your schedules if you don't mind, but your methods. Like, do you use mind maps, sticky notes, just read notes highlighting etc?
If you are truly English, old bean, I'll assume you'll be taking GCSE's like me? ;) I tend to use different methods for different subjects quite honestly - for English I just read a ton and seem to have developed a noice vocabulary for use in my exams. Anything is viable literature from newspapers to webcomics :D
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I need help figuring this out. I'm doing a review for the final, which is TOMORROW.

3^(x+1) = 5^x
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Are you taking the derivative or just solving for x?
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Anthroguy101 wrote:I need help figuring this out. I'm doing a review for the final, which is TOMORROW.

3^(x+1) = 5^x
You are solving for x, right?

3^(x+1)=5^x
3*3^x=5^x
3=(5^x)/(3^x)
3=(5/3)^x
ln3=ln((5/3)^x)
ln3=xln(5/3)
ln3/(ln(5/3))=x
x=2.15066...
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Wanderer wrote:
Anthroguy101 wrote:I need help figuring this out. I'm doing a review for the final, which is TOMORROW.

3^(x+1) = 5^x
You are solving for x, right?

3^(x+1)=5^x
3*3^x=5^x
3=(5^x)/(3^x)
3=(5/3)^x
ln3=ln((5/3)^x)
ln3=xln(5/3)
ln3/(ln(5/3))=x
x=2.15066...
Thanks! I also am doing another one and got stuck at log x = log (3x+9)
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Anthroguy101 wrote: Thanks! I also am doing another one and got stuck at log x = log (3x+9)
Actually nevermind I was right before. Yeah they never intersect.
With x=-9/2, there would be log(-9/2)=log(-9/2).
Which might be true, but you cannot have a log of a negative number.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Wanderer wrote:
Anthroguy101 wrote: Thanks! I also am doing another one and got stuck at log x = log (3x+9)
Actually nevermind I was right before. Yeah they never intersect.
With x=-9/2, there would be log(-9/2)=log(-9/2).
Which might be true, but you cannot have a log of a negative number.
How did you get (-9/2)?
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

It's not correct because a logarithm of a negative number would yield a complex number. Anyway you're supposed to raise both sides to the tenth power (or e if it is presumed that it is base e) which would get rid of the logarithms.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Anthroguy101 wrote:Thanks! I also am doing another one and got stuck at log x = log (3x+9)
log(x) = log(3x + 9)

Take ten to the power of each side:

10^log(x) = 10^(log(3x + 9))

10^x and log(x) are inverses, so they cancel out:

x = 3x + 9

Then subtract 3x from each side:

x - 3x = 9

-2x = 9

Then divide each side by -2:

x = -9/2 or -4.5
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Exam time has already happened for most of us or will be coming up shortly. For those who have study questions, feel free to ask them here. I will be using this thread more often as it gets closer to exam time for my physics course.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Exam time? We just got our progress reports for the midway part of the marking period. Why is my school always off when it comes to this stuff?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit

Post by 0404 »

I think school that Beagle goes to put too powerful batteries into their clocks. I got mid report a month ago.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

My high school operates on a college-like schedule. We have four classes one semester, and an entirely different set of classes the second semester.

Post by 0404 »

anyone good at physics?
I'm doing a small math project about free falling object that is falling out of a plane with a high velocity, and I'm going to predict where it's going to land and yadi yadi yada. I don't know how to get the horizontal Air resistance force. I get terminal velocity and gravity or what not but not the air resistance...
PM me or Skype me If you are willing to help. Thanks
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I take it the strike-through means you no longer need the help that I am more than able to provide if need remains?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I have a physics question for all of you:

"A car is rounding a curve on a horizontal stretch of road. the minimum coefficient of friction needed to keep the car from sliding off the road is us= 0.15. If the speed of the car is doubled, the minimum value of us in this case is:
A) 0.15
B) 0.30
C) 0.45
D) 0.60
E) 0.75

I think the answer is B. I'm working through a practice test since I have a test Tuesday and if anyone would be willing to help me with some of these problems, I would be really grateful. ;_;
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

If I may offer my thought on that question Beagle, I think the answer would be 60.

If you double the speed of something, it has 4X the energy. Therefore, I would imagine it takes 4 times as much friction to keep it from sliding.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

JeffCvt wrote:If I may offer my thought on that question Beagle, I think the answer would be 60.

If you double the speed of something, it has 4X the energy. Therefore, I would imagine it takes 4 times as much friction to keep it from sliding.
Thank you, but that's not really what I'm looking for with this question. This question doesn't have anything to do with energy.
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

Beagle wrote:I have a physics question for all of you:

"A car is rounding a curve on a horizontal stretch of road. the minimum coefficient of friction needed to keep the car from sliding off the road is us= 0.15. If the speed of the car is doubled, the minimum value of us in this case is:
A) 0.15
B) 0.30
C) 0.45
D) 0.60
E) 0.75

I think the answer is B. I'm working through a practice test since I have a test Tuesday and if anyone would be willing to help me with some of these problems, I would be really grateful. ;_;
Hmm... suppose we have m for the mass of the car, r for the turning radius, v for the velocity, g for gravity and u_s for the coefficient of friction.

So in order to turn a car at that velocity, v, our radial force should be equivalent to:

(1) F_r = m*v^2/r

And the force needed for that is supplied by friction which in this case is:

(2) F_r = u_s*m*g

So (1) and (2) gives:

(3) u_s*m*g = m*v^2/r

By what factor, A, should u_s increase if we increase v by 2? Or...

(4) A*u_s*m*g = m*(2*v)^2/r

(5) A*u_s*m*g = 4*m*v^2/r

Combining (3) and (5) tells us that:

(6) A = 4

So the coefficient of friction, u_s, must be 4 times the original value, which is 0.60.
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

It was actually .60, it was just that I needed equations related to centripetal force, since we haven't discussed energy at all in this physics course. (Then again, I got a garbage instructor....)

Thanks for the help you guys!