Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Sleet »

I disagree, actually. Though it was still fantastic.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Wolfy

Post by Wolfy »

Oooh I always wanted to get that pokepark game. curse my lazyness, must go to shops to buy awesomness
I WUV MAH KITTIES!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I've been thinking about picking up a cheap copy of super mario sunshine next week.
Is it worth it?
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yes, very much. That game has amazing aesthetics. And it's a Mario game, so you know the gameplay is good.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Agreed, Super Mario Sunshine was the first game I got on my Gamecube (along with Super Smash Bros. Melee; both on Christmas) back in 2001. I still hop back on it every now and again to replay certain parts of the game; it's just -that- good. :3
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Random thought: so what would you guys consider to be the main series of Mario games? I personally think it's near-impossible to argue against the inclusion of these games:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2

And these games are the ones where I feel there's at least some ambiguity:

Donkey Kong
Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
New Super Mario Bros.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario 3D Land

Everything else I think can pretty clearly be excluded from the list. Unless I forgot something.

So here's the list I'm considering:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

As long as your Super Mario Sunshine copy isn't in Japanese like mine
I didn't understand anything in that game lol.

There are so many hidden things in that game, you'll most likely miss some stuff.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I've actually 100%'d the game, but I'm pretty sure I used internet guides to help find the last few things. The best thing is though, even after you find certain things, it's still a challenge to get them because most of the hidden levels are genuinely engaging, even to more experienced players.

I know one of my friends eventually ragequit the game a while back and hasn't come back because they kept getting super frustrated on one of the levels. :lol:
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Just Finished Saints Row 3 and sent it back to GameFly yesterday, Now back to Skyrim and hopefully finishing SolatoRobo.
DismayWolf

Post by DismayWolf »

-jumps up and down- Finally defeated Ruby and Emerald Weapon......now to debate on either starting another file.........or concentrate on pokemon for awhile -ponders-
ImageImageImage
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

OH GOD. JOSHUA AND BEAT ARE IN KINGDOM HEARTS 3D! AND SO IS THE DISNEY THREE MUSKETEERS WORLD! HNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG- *passes out from heart failure*
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

KalloonWhite wrote:OH GOD. JOSHUA AND BEAT ARE IN KINGDOM HEARTS 3D! AND SO IS THE DISNEY THREE MUSKETEERS WORLD! HNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG- *passes out from heart failure*
wiki wrote:Neku, Joshua, and Beat, from the Nintendo DS game The World Ends with You, will be making cameo appearances
WHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!??!??!
Walt Disney and Final Fantasy in... Shibuya!?!?!?
I has Deviant... urrm... by same name (durr)
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

KalloonWhite wrote:OH GOD. JOSHUA AND BEAT ARE IN KINGDOM HEARTS 3D! AND SO IS THE DISNEY THREE MUSKETEERS WORLD! HNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGG- *passes out from heart failure*
I have a feeling that may be the only way any of them appear in the future, given TWEWY didn't set the world on fire sales wise.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm excited for Joshua (if I ever play that game). He was always one of my favorite characters! The others were alright, I guess.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Okay people I wanted to ask you something, what games do you think are ambitious failures? I think Fallout New Vegas is sort of on this list, for one that added things, but they added to many un important things you could completely avoid like the survival skill. Plus the weapon list seems to be more long range firearms but the game is often so hectic its hard to get to the distance these weapons are made for. While I like New Vegas, it sort of fails in some regards espically on the DLC. Lonesome Road is great as well as Honest Hearts, however Old World Blues really is more driven by dialog than anything else and whereas a good amount of games can do this well it just wasn't quite done right. And Dead Money is just to difficult, I'm not normally a person to whine about difficulty in a game but it could just be unfair, espically inside the Madre, where you couldn't kill half the enemies. A particular puzzle is burned in my mind forever where you have to go up stairs to get to a terminal to tun off a radio, now here is the thing there are two places where you won't begin beeping and it takes so long to get to the terminal that you will die several times before getting to it, I once got to it but it had to go through an animation with the keyboard opening up and I died. To add insult to injury, it still let me turn off the alarm radio thing.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ambitious as in tried to be great but sucked? Or tried to be great, succeeded, and failed in sales? I'd say Red Steel for the first, and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts for the second!
Mettlebird
Location: I heard a lot of shouting and stuff, then I got shoved into a car. Where to this time?

Post by Mettlebird »

Well, I know of a game series that tried to be totally awesome....AND SUCCEEDED!! The Legend of Zelda series cussing ROCKS! I just got the new one, Skyward Sword, but I can't have it until Christmas. :'3

*mutters under breath about parents tempting me like that and telling me I have to wait* You guys just HAD to tell me you got it and ruin the surprise...

*giggles*
The Grey Wolverine

To answer your question Sleet, I mean by failures that it tried to be innovative or good, but sucked.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

OH GOD, NOW THEY"VE CONFIRMED SHIKI AND RHYME, AS WELL AS A TRON LEGACY WORLD!!!! *has another heart attack*
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:To answer your question Sleet, I mean by failures that it tried to be innovative or good, but sucked.
Then that would definitely be Red Steel.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:
The Grey Wolverine wrote:To answer your question Sleet, I mean by failures that it tried to be innovative or good, but sucked.
Then that would definitely be Red Steel.
well to be fair, wasn't that game just kind of piggy-backing off the fact that the wii was innovative?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:well to be fair, wasn't that game just kind of piggy-backing off the fact that the wii was innovative?
We gamers don't ask for excuses; we demand results!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I was just pointing out that the game itself was only innovative because it was made for a new and innovative system. I wouldn't call a game innovative if all it does is utilize the system it's made for somewhat effectively.

basically, they said "look at these awesome new gameplay mechanics. who cares about it being a good game?"
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I dunno, I think it tried to use those mechanics in a way they haven't been used for before. Even with a clean slate, that still counts as innovative.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well I suppose I'm unqualified to speak on the matter, considering I've barely even started to play that game despite it being one of the first ones I bought for the wii.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I was just being obnoxious. :B
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

Why is Queen Bee a playable character in the new Mario Kart? Oh and those worlds in the new Kingdom Hearts are meh to me. I want Pixar films :C But I know that I'll just enjoy Jesus Beams being in their. *squeals* Joshyyyyyy~
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it.
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

KalloonWhite wrote:
OH GOD, NOW THEY"VE CONFIRMED SHIKI AND RHYME, AS WELL AS A TRON LEGACY WORLD!!!! *has another heart attack*
Bu-....
........bu-..............
I WANT A 3DS!!!!!!!!! *wails*
I has Deviant... urrm... by same name (durr)
exranio

Post by exranio »

I thought Red Steel was pretty good.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It would've been had they not taken so many shortcuts. It had a really cool setting and premise, but the execution was so shoddy. And the graphics weren't stylized so much as lazy.
zeldakeeper wrote:Why is Queen Bee a playable character in the new Mario Kart?
It seems virtually every Mario Kart game tries new characters seemingly at random until one sticks.
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

Its sad, really, can't think of games that fail cause I just generally ignore them. I'll agree with New Vegas, though, that one just didn't do it for me. After killing Benny there was no drive to do anything else for Vegas. A bit better than following ol' dad around everywhere without doing anything for yourself, but the immersion wasn't enough for me. Loved the music.

In other news, Star Wars: The Old Republic. I've got two brothers howling at me. Should I get it?
"Rancid - its like a wine or cheese." "Or like roadkill!" ".....or like roadkill...."
Not a dead wizard
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

From what I've seen so far of the Beta coverage from various commentators I watch on Youtube, The Old Republic looks to be -very- promising. If it's not gonna clear out your wallet to do so, and you are a Star Wars fan of any degree, I'd say go for it dude.
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

Yeah, my worry is I'm always talked into games to play with friends and then they never play it with me. But, if the community is good that's all I really need.
"Rancid - its like a wine or cheese." "Or like roadkill!" ".....or like roadkill...."
Not a dead wizard
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

The Grey Wolverine

Coooooooooooooooooooooool.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Never really cared much for KH so can't really say anything. xP
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I'd like to get it just so I can see where the story is going, because near as I can tell, they're trying to keep all of the games linked together story-wise. The gameplay itself looks to be a lot closer to KH2 style than the original, which while faster-paced, the second game was also a lot easier and (for me) a lot less fun. Maybe if they've found a balance between the difficulty of the first and the faster pace fighting of the second, this could still be a good game.

Either way, I really don't know if I'd buy a 3DS just -for- this game. Currently, there's not too much else I particularly care enough for to get on a 3DS.
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

Same here, great game series, but I'm terrible about playing my portables. Haven't even bought a DS game since soulsilver, and before that it was SuperMario DS. Y'know, the one that came with it back in 2004 :P I'd probably just borrow my friends to play KH3
Not a dead wizard
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Heh, I'm worse. I didn't even -get- a DS until about a year and a half ago when my friend got a new one ('cause his [now mine] was/is in pretty bad shape), and he was like, "Hey, want my old, crappy one whose L button doesn't work anymore?" and I was like, "Uh, yeah!"

I bought Pokemon Black right after it came out in the US, and I haven't bought a DS game since. XD Before that, the last handheld game I bought was the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (Red Rescue Team) for my GB Advance SP.
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

Nice, same went with a friend of mine who got a pink dslite from a coworker of his. It was bedazzled and had unicorn stickers, just about the funniest/coolest thing ever.

I've taken more to my PSP since I learned the Persona games were made portable, and don't even get me started on the hundreds of hours playing Moster Hunter. But again, bad at paying attention to portables, so now I have Persona 1-3 with nothing done.
Not a dead wizard