Arc 51: Show Business

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
FlintTheSquirrel

Re: Arc 51: Show Business

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

RUN! All I can say bout that creepy strip.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

A joke like this in the comic was extremely unexpected on my end, it's also why I thought it was pretty funny.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
sean21

Post by sean21 »

angelusbr wrote:As I said, haters gonna hate.
haters? nobody is hating on Rick, we give him a hard time; but what else are fans for...

"haters gonna hate" i've heared that phrase constently on tons of furry video over youtube, and those haters or 'trolls' are much worse than anyone on here, they also bring religion into it, i hope you never have to deal with that Rick.
Shawn "hey."
Sean "greetings."
Alex "hi everyone ^_^"
Justin "wazz'up dudes."
David "i hope it rains today."
Shawn "this is my loving family, sort of speak."
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

<sigh>

I've said it before, in some way, I'll say it again: he puts up with WAY too much crap in his life. :shock:
PhoenixAsper wrote:Since when did Housepets become "Fatal Attraction", or something like that? :P
Someone tell me I wasn't actually RIGHT.
ChewyChewy wrote:I'm disillusioned. I really am.
And I DON'T want to be in this club either, but Rick, if HE'S disillusioned........ :? :? :? .
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Jeez. I go away for a day, and the board explodes. :roll:
rickgriffin wrote:
Sleet wrote:I won't deny that this is very funny.

But...

...Just wow. Isn't that kinda past rating?
Okay stop.

This only touches the PG line. Seriously. I could name several dozen Saturday morning cartoons where this could or has occurred. Want me to start?
Top Gun was PG, too, and it had a fairly raunchy love scene.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Well, I'm fairly certain this is the most posts regarding a single strip this section of the forum has had in quite some time. I'd call that a success in and of itself.

Also, just feel the need to reiterate how much I approve of this sort of comedy. It's very much reminiscent of cartoons from past years that didn't see it as a bad thing to push the limits on censorship (though, as has been previously stated, this is hardly "pushing it"). I also find it highly ironic that the ones who are most concerned that younger viewers could be negatively impacted by this sort of thing are the ones who end up pointing it out to that younger audience who would be otherwise entirely oblivious to it.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

KJOokami wrote:Well, I'm fairly certain this is the most posts regarding a single strip this section of the forum has had in quite some time. I'd call that a success in and of itself.
I'm certain it's the most popular since Grape smooched Peanut at the end of "Imaginate, Too!".
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

You may be right.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Okay, okay, OKAY!!! :roll: :oops: :( :oops:

Let me back up a second.

This is a VALENTINE'S DAY arc. I DOUBT Rick would do anything in the way of an ending that REALLY intentionally subverts or distorts that (though "It's A Wonderful Dog's Life" is still fresh on my mind).

Don't misunderstand me, I still think the ending to "Not All Dogs" sucked, personally, but it was still powerful storytelling. This, as I am gathering, is not as bad as that was. I hope. Rick's never TRULY given any reason for any of us to chase him mob-style for things he's written so far.

I guess some of us, myself included, are thinking that the general tone could be affected by this comic. And that's probably not true.

I still have SOME doubts, but the point stands.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It's important to remember this is, first and foremost, a humorous comic. There may be some times when it's a bit more serious, but Rick always tries to keep things funny.

ZambieHugger

Post by ZambieHugger »

I honestly read the seventh panel and nearly lost it, which is a bad idea during computer class...due to the fact that this comic's on a PG rated level, I never expected a moment like this to show up...well played Rick!
I live in a world managed by children, whenever they don't get what they want, they yell and scream.
Insanity is just a name, crazy a color, and psychopaths a person.
Secretly...I am Batman.
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

I wonder what the dog version of "Carp" is because you can just see King has that on his mind right now.

I didnt even notice Duchess had no collar till someone pointed it out. Heh, adds effect i'll say that. So, she's going for the old "I'm so crestfallen that I need some tender love and care" routine. I think King would rather be bathed by Boris again.

This is totally nothing to complain about. I mean we should be used to Rick throwing in the occassional borderline joke. Like back in the beginning when he first introduced the idea of some dogs being "Cat lovers" or Cross species dressing. And who could forget the slow motion pillow fight or Mr Bigglesworth mistaking one of their own for a girl. It's nowhere near as bad as Sandra and Woo. That comic really goes a long way.

And think about what Dreamworks have done. Madagascar and its spin offs are full of mixed species courting. Heck, recently i saw an episode of Adventure time which featured a senile elephant trying to seduce a tentacle flower monster. While we're on the subject you should look up the character designs for Winx.
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
ZambieHugger

Post by ZambieHugger »

You drive at a good point, and I had almost completely forgotten about most of the borderline jokes Rick makes nearly all the time. Then again now that I look back, I didn't notice that Duchess wasn't wearing a collar either, thanks for pointing that out!

King better find some way to ensure she knows that he's not interested or else the love square with collapse. I hope Rick knows how to get out his own paradoxes!

What does Carp mean anyway?

Mod Edit: Please do not double-post. If you need to add new information to a thread and nobody's posted since you, you may use the edit button in your post's upper-right corner.
I live in a world managed by children, whenever they don't get what they want, they yell and scream.
Insanity is just a name, crazy a color, and psychopaths a person.
Secretly...I am Batman.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Crap?
JohnWillow wrote:Heck, recently i saw an episode of Adventure time which featured a senile elephant trying to seduce a tentacle flower monster.
That was a wall of flesh, to be precise.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

JohnWillow wrote:This is totally nothing to complain about. I mean we should be used to Rick throwing in the occassional borderline joke. Like back in the beginning when he first introduced the idea of some dogs being "Cat lovers" or Cross species dressing.
I still don't quite get the meaning (or PG-validity) of Joey's "I want to wear her skin" line.

It makes me think of Reavers.
sean21

Post by sean21 »

Sansash wrote:I still don't quite get the meaning (or PG-validity) of Joey's "I want to wear her skin" line.
i think it means he wants to be her.
Last edited by sean21 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn "hey."
Sean "greetings."
Alex "hi everyone ^_^"
Justin "wazz'up dudes."
David "i hope it rains today."
Shawn "this is my loving family, sort of speak."
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Or at least fursuit as her. He wasn't implying he wants to actually go Buffalo Bill on her, but the fact that it sounds like that is part of the joke. Joey is creepy and that's funny.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

It sounded to me like he wanted to cut her skin off and wear it

PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Actually, now that you all mention it, this sort of thing HAS happened before. The point on the slow motion pillow fight and the barn cats is quite valid.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

And then suddenly, the arc ended on this strip. King is therefore frightened to death of the whole neigbourhood female dogs with Sasha and Bailey being the only exceptions. Duchess will use the year to forever attempt to woo King for the next valentine's day contest, using the whip in so many lovable ways.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
FlintTheSquirrel

GameCobra wrote:using the whip in so many lovable ways.
I think it is that type of suggestive thing that is turning a lot of people away. I do hope it does not end in any way that will cause bad relations with Baily. Like a misunderstanding or something.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:
GameCobra wrote:using the whip in so many lovable ways.
I think it is that type of suggestive thing that is turning a lot of people away. I do hope it does not end in any way that will cause bad relations with Baily. Like a misunderstanding or something.
Who exactly is being turned away?
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:I think it is that type of suggestive thing that is turning a lot of people away. I do hope it does not end in any way that will cause bad relations with Baily. Like a misunderstanding or something.
Just for the record, I wasn't being suggestive when i said that. Just funny. =P

And if anything, i highly doubt King will fall for such a thing like that <_< considering he's already been pretty much traumatized XD
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote: I think it is that type of suggestive thing that is turning a lot of people away. I do hope it does not end in any way that will cause bad relations with Baily. Like a misunderstanding or something.
Allow me to quote Rick from page 3 of this thread.
rickgriffin wrote:
IceKitsune wrote: Even if Bailey shows up (which I doubt she will) I don't think there will be much drama if there is it should be easily explained by both King and Duchess, so at best it would be very short lived.
I'm not that big a fan of plots that revolve around a simple misunderstanding; while the previous arc had that within its framing device, it was resolved in exactly one step (explaining the situation). If Bailey is to somehow become upset that Duchess and King entered a vanity contest as a couple, the reason for it would have to be one that is not easily resolved by simply explaining what's going on, because if that happens, all I would do is have King explain what is going on.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
FlintTheSquirrel

angelusbr wrote:
FlintTheSquirrel wrote: I think it is that type of suggestive thing that is turning a lot of people away. I do hope it does not end in any way that will cause bad relations with Baily. Like a misunderstanding or something.
Allow me to quote Rick from page 3 of this thread.
rickgriffin wrote:
IceKitsune wrote: Even if Bailey shows up (which I doubt she will) I don't think there will be much drama if there is it should be easily explained by both King and Duchess, so at best it would be very short lived.
I'm not that big a fan of plots that revolve around a simple misunderstanding; while the previous arc had that within its framing device, it was resolved in exactly one step (explaining the situation). If Bailey is to somehow become upset that Duchess and King entered a vanity contest as a couple, the reason for it would have to be one that is not easily resolved by simply explaining what's going on, because if that happens, all I would do is have King explain what is going on.
With that said, many comics tend to follow these types of plots, I can not read Rick's mind, so I have no way of telling without reading every comment he makes in this section.
Tis what worried me in any case, I do not want King to be misserable.
Also, I wonder if he will get that money he was promised?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

King was paid in advance, as depicted in this comic.

KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:With that said, many comics tend to follow these types of plots, I can not read Rick's mind, so I have no way of telling without reading every comment he makes in this section.
He was already payed. Duchess gave him the money before the competition even started. It's the money that she gave him that allowed him to buy a cell phone in the first place.
Yeah. He's got moneyz already.
Rook

Post by Rook »

You know, all Mile's needs now is a pipe, robe, and a pair of slippers.
Always love to live, and live to love others.

I ask a lot of questions... I know.

Rook STR- 9 PER- 3 END- 9 CHA- 7 INT- 3 AGI- 7 LUC- 4
Sergei STR- 7 PER- 4 END- 7 CHA- 4 INT- 8 AGI- 7 LUC- 5
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:With that said, many comics tend to follow these types of plots, I can not read Rick's mind, so I have no way of telling without reading every comment he makes in this section.
Yes, it's true a story should be able to tell itself within its narrative, but Rick did give us a spoiler to calm us down. I'm also against the plot device of "misunderstanding"
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You could always just read the comic when it comes out.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Oooh, this comic's getting saucy...
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

For a human dog, Joel sure knows how to react to the situation... from a human point X3
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

For a human dog, Joel sure knows how to react to the situation...
He comes home to find a totalitarian drama queen (in charge of a body guard who's bigger than a bently) lounging across his bed with a whip and a pair of handcuffs. How would he not react this way?

I think King's one of the only characters who's Arc's revolve around a similar significant event. In this case a girl comes along to make King's life a bit more complicated.

Sasha's kicked out of her house = King gives her company = Fox makes King to sniff her butt

King flirts with Taro = Taro becomes dragon = Dragon forces Pete out of the game = New home

Pete drops King's fate = Sabrina comes to tell him of horrible consequences = King is forced to seek Sasha's help = she messes up and King's watch is nearly destroyed

Then most recently you have Baily and then Duchess right after

KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Oh my gosh, guys. Guess what?

New comic in 5 minutes. :D
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

heheh knew he would go to Fox
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

ah the classic "guess I was just imagining things" gag.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Oh, Fox. Why you so oblivious to your surroundings when your best friend needs you?
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

And she's chased him out of his house.

Nice.

Real nice.

That was sarcasm, by the way.

And what is with this schizoid nature to Duchess? :?
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Duchess doesn't seem to be giving up.

Once again, King is caught in a situation that doesn't favor his luck.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

just MISSED him...