Housepets! Radio Show Is Closed

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

ChewyChewy

Re: Housepets! Radio Show

Post by ChewyChewy »

Question: who is speaking the last line in this comic? I don't quite understand it, and there's no way to tell because it's a silhouette and there's no identifying markers even in the dialogue.

I want to know so that if it's Joel I'll know to record it and if it isn't I won't bother.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

ChewyChewy wrote:Question: who is speaking the last line in this comic? I don't quite understand it, and there's no way to tell because it's a silhouette and there's no identifying markers even in the dialogue.

I want to know so that if it's Joel I'll know to record it and if it isn't I won't bother.
I think it's Officer Bill, who previously was handcuffing Joel, but the fat PETA guy ran off, and Bill chased him. This gave Joel his time to escape.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

yes is bill
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

I have a mic but it has some static. Ill get another one soon enough. And one interesting fact is that everyone's voice is actually higher pitched than the person saying it would seem. That's because the voice travels around in your head amplifying it. So, nobody will actually know what their voice really sounds like to other people, even with recordings....just a little fun fact. And i have sort of a kiddish voice, so i dunno, might go for peanut. Depends.

edit: ugh, my voice sounds nasty. I would hate for peanut to sound like that in real life..
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

I've recorded my lines, and will send them to Ebly eventually. I hope they're short enough that I can attach them to e-mails, even just one per e-mail.

Just one question, though: I didn't do King's Valentine's Day card, or the "All the King's Men" prose arc. I don't expect the latter is desired, but what about the former?
PF chars

--Phoenix

Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

ChewyChewy wrote:I've recorded my lines, and will send them to Ebly eventually. I hope they're short enough that I can attach them to e-mails, even just one per e-mail.

Just one question, though: I didn't do King's Valentine's Day card, or the "All the King's Men" prose arc. I don't expect the latter is desired, but what about the former?
Wait, are we doing the recordings word for word from the comic, or are we waiting on Ebly to rewrite them for the switch from visual to aural? This is the quote that confuses me:
Ebly wrote:Put it this way. Housepets as a comic is a visual media. It is drawn, and most of the 'description' in it comes from what you see. To an extent, it is also written like a book and plotted out, and one 'reads' a comic, but generally a comic is a visual media.

What I would propose is an aural media. That is, the setting, interaction - it's all through sounds and voices. You would be able to listen to Housepets instead of just read it. The archives would be performed in such a fashion, and then we would be able to do more as new comics come out.

In honesty, I'm not thinking "oh we need this like Mary needs her little lamb", it's more "that would be a whole lot of fun if people got into it". A hobbyist thing rather than a serious media. Either way, the idea still stands.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Teh Brawler wrote:
ChewyChewy wrote:I've recorded my lines, and will send them to Ebly eventually. I hope they're short enough that I can attach them to e-mails, even just one per e-mail.

Wait, are we doing the recordings word for word from the comic, or are we waiting on Ebly to rewrite them for the switch from visual to aural? This is the quote that confuses me:
Ebly wrote:Put it this way. Housepets as a comic is a visual media. It is drawn, and most of the 'description' in it comes from what you see. To an extent, it is also written like a book and plotted out, and one 'reads' a comic, but generally a comic is a visual media.

What I would propose is an aural media. That is, the setting, interaction - it's all through sounds and voices. You would be able to listen to Housepets instead of just read it. The archives would be performed in such a fashion, and then we would be able to do more as new comics come out.

In honesty, I'm not thinking "oh we need this like Mary needs her little lamb", it's more "that would be a whole lot of fun if people got into it". A hobbyist thing rather than a serious media. Either way, the idea still stands.
Er...I don't know, I forgot about that post.... :oops: If he still wants them, I can send what I've done, but if he wants to re-write it, I'll re-record them....

I was so proud of myself for getting them all done in one day, too....
PF chars

--Phoenix

Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

ChewyChewy wrote:
Teh Brawler wrote:

Er...I don't know, I forgot about that post.... :oops: If he still wants them, I can send what I've done, but if he wants to re-write it, I'll re-record them....

I was so proud of myself for getting them all done in one day, too....
No, I think you're perfectly fine, because you may very well be right. I was just asking is all. And since Ebly is probably the only one who can answer the question, we'll have to wait until he gets on and replies. Sorry for making you worry. :oops:

Also, Caelei is thinking about auditioning (if I'm interpreting her correctly), but her mic isn't working at the moment.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

It's okay. And even if he does re-write and I do have to re-record, I probably won't have to do TOO many do-overs. And at any rate I will of course keep what I have either way (I'm kind of proud of them). :)

Did she say who she'd audition for?
PF chars

--Phoenix

Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Nobody in particular, I mentioned it to her, and she didn't seem opposed to the idea, but she didn't mention any specific characters she was interested in.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Vadiant

Post by Vadiant »

Given that no female characters have been placed yet? I think it's okay not to be too worried with specifics, just yet. xD
RG; Seb & Dahlia
Neko

Post by Neko »

I would be interested to do this, though most of the spots have probably been filled in by now :p
(I'M not even sure how you would record and send your voice <_< )
ImageImage Back after 7 years to GM once more.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Neko wrote:I would be interested to do this, though most of the spots have probably been filled in by now :p
(I'M not even sure how you would record and send your voice <_< )
There are different ways, but I've been using Audacity and exporting the sound files as .wav files, and then e-mailing them to Ebly as attached files.
PF chars

--Phoenix

ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

I just found some time to re-record the Fox part for you, Ebly. I'll have it to you really soon :mrgreen:
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Teh Brawler wrote:Wait, are we doing the recordings word for word from the comic, or are we waiting on Ebly to rewrite them for the switch from visual to aural?

On original content: The main thing about just having strips is that each strip would last for all of half a minute long, and that's only on the ones with exposition. We could do it arc-by-arc but the problem with that is fitting everything together, since there are some transitions that make sense in a comic but not in a recording. If we were to do it in the style of a radio performance similar to, say, war of the worlds or hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, we'd want proper scripting.

Even then, I don't trust myself to do this alone, and it would be a lot healthier for the community to be involved in the writing rather than me be a taskmaster going, "Record this, record that!"

Essentially we could just do the strips as they are for now, but I don't think that would be all that interesting in the scheme of things. Still, what it comes down to is: What do you guys think?
Give opinions - even if you're not planning on recording, that doesn't mean you can't be involved in anything, and even if you weren't involved with anything you'll still be listening...

Right?
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Ebly wrote:
Teh Brawler wrote:Wait, are we doing the recordings word for word from the comic, or are we waiting on Ebly to rewrite them for the switch from visual to aural?

On original content: The main thing about just having strips is that each strip would last for all of half a minute long, and that's only on the ones with exposition. We could do it arc-by-arc but the problem with that is fitting everything together, since there are some transitions that make sense in a comic but not in a recording. If we were to do it in the style of a radio performance similar to, say, war of the worlds or hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, we'd want proper scripting.

Even then, I don't trust myself to do this alone, and it would be a lot healthier for the community to be involved in the writing rather than me be a taskmaster going, "Record this, record that!"

Essentially we could just do the strips as they are for now, but I don't think that would be all that interesting in the scheme of things. Still, what it comes down to is: What do you guys think?
Give opinions - even if you're not planning on recording, that doesn't mean you can't be involved in anything, and even if you weren't involved with anything you'll still be listening...

Right?
Well, in that case, I think it would be better to rewrite them, just for the sake of keeping interest. I mean, for me, it wouldn't be terrible interesting after awhile to just be hearing the same thing I read.

On the other hand, I really don't want Chewy's work to go to waste. :?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

At this point I primarily want to know if Ebly wants the files I've got so far, since I've pretty much done all of Joel/King's lines. If not I don't have to waste time sending him eleven e-mails, but if so I want to get it overwith quickly so he can have the lines.
PF chars

--Phoenix

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Well, Chewy, seeing as how Pete isn't even cast yet, I wouldn't worry about getting King's lines to Ebly so ASAP-ish. :lol:

On the subject of original content, that actually sounds like a pretty good idea in some places. But this would definitely have to be a huge collaboration of all the people working on the show.

No matter what, we need to decide what constitutes as a good transition and how to do it in such a way that the audience understands "this is a transition to the next part of the story."
Or if we want to be really linear we could leave no transitional gaps (lots of work).

If we're going to fill in some gaps we have to identify which comic transitions really should have filler and which are fine as is.
Then we need to decided how much of the perceived gap in the story line we need to fill in.
We need a good connecting plot (probably ending with some sort of joke or gag to keep with Rick's original intent, or if we want it as just a connecting plot it might be better to have the joke from the next actual strip be the end joke of the connector as well).
And there needs to be lots of polling along the way, to make sure it stands up to our expectations.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Obbl wrote:Well, Chewy, seeing as how Pete isn't even cast yet, I wouldn't worry about getting King's lines to Ebly so ASAP-ish. :lol:

On the subject of original content, that actually sounds like a pretty good idea in some places. But this would definitely have to be a huge collaboration of all the people working on the show.

No matter what, we need to decide what constitutes as a good transition and how to do it in such a way that the audience understands "this is a transition to the next part of the story."
Or if we want to be really linear we could leave no transitional gaps (lots of work).

If we're going to fill in some gaps we have to identify which comic transitions really should have filler and which are fine as is.
Then we need to decided how much of the perceived gap in the story line we need to fill in.
We need a good connecting plot (probably ending with some sort of joke or gag to keep with Rick's original intent, or if we want it as just a connecting plot it might be better to have the joke from the next actual strip be the end joke of the connector as well).
And there needs to be lots of polling along the way, to make sure it stands up to our expectations.
Well, neither is Sasha, for that matter.... :P I was just curious as to whether he wanted to hear it. Honestly I forgot to do King coughing, so I might re-record that anyway.... :oops:

What you're saying about transitions is making me think of "When you hear this sound.... *ringing bells* ...you'll know it's time to turn the page. Are you ready? Then let's begin." :lol:
PF chars

--Phoenix

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

ChewyChewy wrote:What you're saying about transitions is making me think of "When you hear this sound.... *ringing bells* ...you'll know it's time to turn the page. Are you ready? Then let's begin." :lol:
:lol: Oh, wow! I haven't done one of those in a long time!
Yeah, probably shouldn't use that :D
Chron

Post by Chron »

Just my own two bits, but what if we just recorded the original strips in a single arc and released them bundled together?
Yeah, I guess that's not all that creative, but it's an idea, nonetheless.
*WARNING* This product contains A.D.H.D. and is therefore liable to suddenly lose interest in what he's saying, stare into space for unknown amounts of time, and point at random objects shouting, "Look, a chicken!" when there is no chicken.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Obbl wrote:Well, Chewy, seeing as how Pete isn't even cast yet, I wouldn't worry about getting King's lines to Ebly so ASAP-ish. :lol:

That might not be necessary; I mean, setting up the recordings in an original form would constitute the understanding that each recording is an episode, kind of like the posting of a new comic serves as its own transition. In other words, a signification of transition would be unnecessary, because moving from recording to recording would be the transition. Any movement in setting will be taken care of within the recording itself, so overall, the audience can figure it out. As for gaps, if we go with the original content, gap fillers wouldn't be necessary, either, as the original content would alleviate the need. Only during a rewrite would fillers for gaps be needed.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Ah, that makes much more sense :D
Though there are occasions where action is not spoken (the entire strip where Joel is turned into King makes no reference to the actual change, and the joke is that said change has already occurred)
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Chron wrote:Just my own two bits, but what if we just recorded the original strips in a single arc and released them bundled together?
Ebly wrote:We could do it arc-by-arc but the problem with that is fitting everything together, since there are some transitions that make sense in a comic but not in a recording.
Sorry if I didn't make it clear that that is what I meant by "arc-by-arc".

So, personally I am leaning towards scripting it, but as I said that takes a lot of effort. I'm asking for you guys to give opinions on which option you would prefer: Original scripting (of course, we would still be using the dialogue presented as is), a direct recording (individual strips) or a direct recording (bundled arcs).

Obbl seems to support scripting, but I can't quite get a read on anyone else's feelings.

Chewy, I would love to have your recordings, though you should know I would collect them in a folder and leave them to be used when they come into play. Remeeeember, your second recording was my favourite. <3
Also, you can have multiple files in one email, silly. And you can record multiple strips in the one recording: I kind of have editing software, silly! I can cut out any silences, or if you feel you did a line poorly and want to redo it, etc etc etc. Come on, I've got to have some work, right? *giggles* If you really want to record everything one-by-one I can't (and won't) stop you, though.
Chron

Post by Chron »

I guess I wasn't that clear either, but what the heck. :P I cast my vote for original scripting, cause regardless of the extra work, it'd be worth it in the end, methinks.
*WARNING* This product contains A.D.H.D. and is therefore liable to suddenly lose interest in what he's saying, stare into space for unknown amounts of time, and point at random objects shouting, "Look, a chicken!" when there is no chicken.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Chron wrote:I guess I wasn't that clear either, but what the heck. :P I cast my vote for original scripting, cause regardless of the extra work, it'd be worth it in the end, methinks.
Oh shoot, you meant put the recordings of the strips that are scripted bunched in arcs, didn't you?
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Ebly wrote:Chewy, I would love to have your recordings, though you should know I would collect them in a folder and leave them to be used when they come into play. Remeeeember, your second recording was my favourite. <3
Also, you can have multiple files in one email, silly. And you can record multiple strips in the one recording: I kind of have editing software, silly! I can cut out any silences, or if you feel you did a line poorly and want to redo it, etc etc etc. Come on, I've got to have some work, right? *giggles* If you really want to record everything one-by-one I can't (and won't) stop you, though.
Thank you for letting me know. :D (What's wrong with that?)
Mine as well--I sounded more natural there. I still re-did it, just in case (I might even have done better this time), but I certainly did better re-recording the other lines I auditioned for you.

And I'm not the silly one. ;) I know you can have multiple files in one e-mail, but when I e-mailed you those auditions, the files were SO BIG that more than one didn't fit, and I'm sure the same would prove the case for these that I have now (though hopefully not so big that ONE won't fit....). And I DID record multiple strips in each recording this time (hence why I only have eleven files when there were more than eleven pages with Joel/King speaking). And I figured you would have editing software. ;) The worst thing about my files, I think, is that I forgot to make King cough when Pete changed himself into "Gaspar." That's really the only thing I might re-do, unless you think the file's good enough by itself that I don't need to.... Other than that, I didn't do his line for the Valentine's Day card, or any of his dialogue for "All the King's Men."

Anyway, thanks again for letting me know. :D

EDIT: Apparently I was wrong. I got FIVE files onto one e-mail. :shock: I guess that means I only need to e-mail you three times, then....

EDIT AGAIN: Sent them all!
Last edited by ChewyChewy on Mon May 17, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PF chars

--Phoenix

Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

I'm going for original scripting, myself. :P
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Chron

Post by Chron »

Ebly wrote:
Chron wrote:I guess I wasn't that clear either, but what the heck. :P I cast my vote for original scripting, cause regardless of the extra work, it'd be worth it in the end, methinks.
Oh shoot, you meant put the recordings of the strips that are scripted bunched in arcs, didn't you?
Yeah, but now that I think about it, just having a bunch of 30 second sound bites released together might not be that great an idea. So, regardless, my vote still goes for orginal scripting.
Foldo

Post by Foldo »

Guys, how do we engage Patrick Warburton who plays the voice of Bill in the show? (see the alt text)

I just realized it... :?
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

We use magic, and then we give up and get someone to imitate
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

I'm okay with whatever, although if we do original scripting my hope is that it won't affect the actual characters' lines--in other words, just maybe have a narrator saying what's going on for the benefit of those who can't see what they need to see, but not add or change lines that already exist.

Of course, theoretically that could get annoying, even if it were confined to only what HAS to be changed from pictorial to audible content in order to make sense.... But I do think that CHANGING lines is unnecessary and probably inappropriate. At most, maybe adding a line here or there as needed....

Since King has a new line now I'll get a recording of it when I can. I'll also redo the line where I forgot to cough, and make sure I do cough this time.... :oops:

EDIT: Sent as one audio file.
PF chars

--Phoenix

ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Sorry that I haven't been able to get you the recording I promised you Ebly. Something always turns up when I try to record. Please be patient for just a little while longer, and I'll record more of Fox's lines for you.
Chron

Post by Chron »

ctcmjh wrote:Sorry that I haven't been able to get you the recording I promised you Ebly. Something always turns up when I try to record. Please be patient for just a little while longer, and I'll record more of Fox's lines for you.
Ditto. >.< Still trying, though!
Jack

Post by Jack »

haven't checked this in a while. i need to get better sound you say? wonder how i do that.... hmm.... i have a friend with a good mic... should ask for his help.
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
DarkHeartsAndSuch

Post by DarkHeartsAndSuch »

This looks like a lot of fun, but seeing since this thread was started in Jan and it's now may, I don't know
if there is still anything that I could do... Is there?
Kuja wrote:"Why should the world exist without me? That wouldn't be fair. If I die, we all die!"

RP Characters
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

DarkHeartsAndSuch wrote:This looks like a lot of fun, but seeing since this thread was started in Jan and it's now may, I don't know
Yep; you can audition. :3
There are plenty of spaces open, so feel free to jump in.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
DarkHeartsAndSuch

Teh Brawler wrote:
DarkHeartsAndSuch wrote:This looks like a lot of fun, but seeing since this thread was started in Jan and it's now may, I don't know
Yep; you can audition. :3
Spaces like wha-... who?
Kuja wrote:"Why should the world exist without me? That wouldn't be fair. If I die, we all die!"

RP Characters
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

DarkHeartsAndSuch wrote:
Teh Brawler wrote: Yep; you can audition. :3
Spaces like wha-... who?
So far only a few parts have been given actors by Ebly:
Ebly wrote:Vadiant is Peanut
Brawlyboy is Tiger and Zach
ChewyChewy is King/Joel
Buckdida is Joey, Bino, and Fido
I fancy ndigit for Keys and of course Joey's crazy friends
I like what Icharus does for Fox, but I think he's best as Maxwell. (Send me a recording to make sure!)
Chron and Isaac are both Spo. Hmm. This needs fixing.
So we basically need lots more people. And no female voice actors have auditioned as of yet.
DarkHeartsAndSuch

Obbl wrote:
DarkHeartsAndSuch wrote:
Teh Brawler wrote: Yep; you can audition. :3
Spaces like wha-... who?
So far only a few parts have been given actors by Ebly:
Ebly wrote:Vadiant is Peanut
Brawlyboy is Tiger and Zach
ChewyChewy is King/Joel
Buckdida is Joey, Bino, and Fido
I fancy ndigit for Keys and of course Joey's crazy friends
I like what Icharus does for Fox, but I think he's best as Maxwell. (Send me a recording to make sure!)
Chron and Isaac are both Spo. Hmm. This needs fixing.
So we basically need lots more people. And no female voice actors have auditioned as of yet.
well, I MIGHT be able to do a female voice due to my unresonablr high voice, bur I'll try out for as many people as I can.

RP Characters