Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Esquire Fox

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Esquire Fox »

I don't really have any modern examples. By today's standards, a bad difficulty curve usually makes a bad game.
I've never really been one to purchase modern games without first gathering some information on the gameplay.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
Nitrosparxx

Post by Nitrosparxx »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Okay guys, so, difficulty curves and spikes, what games do you think have the worst ones?
Worst ones? Well despite being a very well made game, Dynamite Headdy was just, insane. I mean, it's curve starts out fairly normal, then once you get to the tower level, that curve suddenly becomes a difficulty wall. I mean it's just completly out of the blue. Another would be Legend of Spyro. The game feels like it's going to get harder, but it really doesn't. It's like it's curve flatlined. The only real difficulty of the game was that when you move on to later stages, more and more enimies show up, but that's hardly a challenge when you have so many broken melee attacks. I mean, it wasn't a bad game by any means; it had a terrific story, unique characters, epic feeling, it's just it lack a curve to make more challenging.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

You guys want a hard game? Go play Dark Souls, or pick up the DMC HD Collection and play Devil May Cry 3.

Both of those games are pretty hard, DMC3 was generally called one of the hardest games to ever be released. When they re-released the special edition with bonus content they made DMC3's normal mode into hard mode, made hard into very hard, made easy into normal and then made a new easy.

The original release is pretty intense.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Or if you want to go back to the old days. Go play any Ninja Gaiden game, the original Kid Icarus, or The Adventures of Link.

The first being the hardest games I know of. ^^;
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Or if you want to go back to the old days. Go play any Ninja Gaiden game, the original Kid Icarus, or The Adventures of Link.

The first being the hardest games I know of. ^^;
Well I was trying to use more modern examples, as they would be easier to find in a store.
FlintTheSquirrel

True enough, there are quite a few hard games now-a-days as well, but many of them you can grind levels to get past.
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

SEGA may be planning a reboot of the Sonic the Hedgehog series in 2014:
http://www.gamerzines.com/xbox/news-xbo ... oming.html
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote: It's meant as an introduction to Magic above all else. If you want to customize your own strategies, just play Magic. :3
But I've lost all my old cards...Besides, as I said, Yu-gi-oh can be played in both real life and in video games and the advantage of video games card game is that i can play with any card+freedom to build my deck. XD
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There's also Magic Online, though that's not free.

Also, you can go to a store and play Limited, which is a fun way to get new cards that also doesn't care if you don't have any.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote:There's also Magic Online, though that's not free.

Also, you can go to a store and play Limited, which is a fun way to get new cards that also doesn't care if you don't have any.
I've never heard of this magic online. do you have a direct link to the website?
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

TheMobian wrote:SEGA may be planning a reboot of the Sonic the Hedgehog series in 2014:
That sounds horrible, I don't want Sonic to be an adventure game I want it to be a platformer! D:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/Ma ... e/download

Check out those system requirements. I hope you can handle them. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I've never played Magic the Gathering.
FlintTheSquirrel

Dubiousity wrote:
TheMobian wrote:SEGA may be planning a reboot of the Sonic the Hedgehog series in 2014:
That sounds horrible, I don't want Sonic to be an adventure game I want it to be a platformer! D:
Huh....this is all news to me. Looking at the comments below, I sure do hope they do not take away Tails. ^^; I do not think I can stand Sonic's attitude if not for Tails being around in the games.

I am curious what their idea for a new adventure game for Sonic will be. Though it is true I like platforming, I also like to see where the platforms are before I already flew past them. The new sonic games do not really cut it for me in the platforming department due to being to fast.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Dubiousity wrote:
And I hope they don't kill Tails to introduce a new side kick to Sonic.
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Dubiousity wrote:
I both agree and disagree with ya there Dubiousity, I like the Sonic games as they are. Fast frenetic platforming with a focus on the 'fast' part. But I can also see the beauty in a redesign of the game as well, as much as I hate to say it, platforming games as they once were are on their way out and for the companies that once made them it has reached a point where those franchises must either be updated or left behind.

Personally I can see how the Sonic universe would lend itself very well to an out and out adventure game setting, and I'd imagine there would still be some platforming elements involved, if for no other reason than to not completely alienate the classic Sonic fans...or at least I would like to hope there would be. Beyond saying that though, I'd really need to see the game to properly begin judging it. Personally I'm going to hold on to the hope that they may do right be this, making it into something with depth, full of story and character and with the sort of features one would expect and/or desire in a Sonic game.

And yes, I know that's a stretch of a hope and that they are more likely to completely blow it and make it into something that is really only 'Sonic' in name...but I'm still going to hope.

In response to the other above comments concerning this...yeah, if they ever make the mistake of removing Tails completely...I'll leave all thing Sonic behind and never look back.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

well, I've not played Sonic in a long time, but Generations was fun. That's all I really know to say. Much better then the Secret Rings at least.

Anyway, wasn't Sonic Adventure an adventure game? Isn't that one of the fan favourites as well?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Sonic Adventure was awesome because it mixed adventuring with high-speed, linear-ish platforming in a good way. If they can imitate that, I'll be happy.

Sonic and the Secret Rings was so bad. There never was a good Wii Sonic game until Colors, as far as I'm aware.
FlintTheSquirrel

Unleashed controlled very well for me, though that technically was a multi-console game. I am not a fan of The Secret Rings though since I could not back up, and the controls were a bit tough. I did actually beat the game though.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Unleashed controlled very well for me, though that technically was a multi-console game. I am not a fan of The Secret Rings though since I could not back up, and the controls were a bit tough. I did actually beat the game though.
Technically? It WAS a multi-platform game you silly!

But yeah, I'll have to see where this goes, though I'm not excited for it at all.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I've been looking at the prices for Guild Wars 2...I'm actually really annoyed at them. Apparantly it's $60 in USA, like a lot of the best games are worth I'm told. In England, the normal price for top games is £40. That's about $64, so USA is still getting it cheaper but since it's not a lot I'm not really complaining.

The Game is selling for £50. That's $80. $20 more expensive then the USA version. I've never been so frustrated withe the price of a game in my life, honestly. The thing is, I can buy the normal edition for the same price USA can buy the delux edition. That's just not fair to me.

...apparently USA didn't apply tax on the buying page unlike UK though...so they are the same price...Wow, their company really screwed up there. They should probably fix that before they get sued or something.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

44R0NM10 wrote:I've been looking at the prices for Guild Wars 2...I'm actually really annoyed at them. Apparantly it's $60 in USA, like a lot of the best games are worth I'm told. In England, the normal price for top games is £40. That's about $64, so USA is still getting it cheaper but since it's not a lot I'm not really complaining.

The Game is selling for £50. That's $80. $20 more expensive then the USA version. I've never been so frustrated withe the price of a game in my life, honestly. The thing is, I can buy the normal edition for the same price USA can buy the delux edition. That's just not fair to me.

...apparently USA didn't apply tax on the buying page unlike UK though...so they are the same price...Wow, their company really screwed up there. They should probably fix that before they get sued or something.
Even if taxes were applied the US price would still probably be around $63, so they aren't the same price :I

Oh and the best games aren't $60, just the newest ones.
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Meh, honestly, I've never been overly impressed with the company that makes Guild Wars. I'll admit that what they've done is fairly impressive for a 'WoW like'(For lack of a better term on my part) MMO that doesn't charge a monthly fee. But the way they've gone about things has always bugged me...especially the whole expansions that aren't expansions thing, never could quite understand that one. But, eh, the formula they're using seems to be working for them, so who am I to judge?

Still, I gotta say, that whole pricing thing does seem a bit wrong to me. I can understand slight differences in pricing, but a disparity like that is a bit over the top no matter how you look at it. Gotta wonder what their marketing team was thinking when they decided to do that, I mean they gotta know it's going to cause them to lose a few customers. Also, if the UK's standard edition is the same price as the US special/collectors/whatever they're calling it, how much are they charging you guys for that one?

----

Back on the subject of Sonic. I really enjoyed the Adventure series myself, despite the bugs it had in some places, it was a lot of fun and was a great new take on things. So yeah, if they make this new reboot in a like style I'll be happy to give it a chance. Still, I'd like to see them put the proper Chaos Emerald system into one of those games personally, 3D movement Super Sonic with out uber boss battle? Yes please.

On another note, the bit in there about monetizing the game does worry me. If it's just straight download content I think I'd be okay with it mostly, but if they try and do something along the lines of Skylanders, as suggested on the info page, it'd bother me quite a bit.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

WoW like? The game was in development before WoW was released, how is it a clone?
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

It isn't...as I said I just lacked a better term. They share systems and dynamics that are of a kind, and WoW is what I am most familiar with out of those MMOs which function in regards to said systems. Were I to use the proper terminology for it, I'd imagine I would actually need to call it 'Everquest like', but then again there is probably an even older MMO that functions on the same basics out there somewhere, so...*Shrugs*

I'm sorry if I insulted anyone with the comparison, I certainly wasn't out to say it was a clone. I just needed a way to reference it that I felt others would understand and that was what came to mind.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Honestly, there really isn't a much better comparison you can make since WoW has essentially been the undisputed king of the genre for the last 6+ years.

Also, WoW was being developed long before Guild Wars. Just saying.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
FlintTheSquirrel

Guild Wars is a very group centered game and has a large ballance and limit on the amount of Armor, HP, SP, and stats that you can have, also with a 20 level cap. So it got that going for it that WoW does not. In any case, my favorite thing about Guild Wars is you only need to buy it once. No subscription base. ^^

If the new one has it, I will become a Elementalist again. An Area of Effect Fire one if possible. :3
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

When I used to play MMOs people always mocked me because of how I played, I was a healing alchemist with a bow if possible. I used to use like buff spells and healing magic an I'd give people potions, but I always had a bow to kill things with, I was usually one of the first people to rush into a fight, so I always got hurt, and I was a reckless fool.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Will somebody please tell me why it costs so much outside USA though? I know a lot of games costs more, but I've never seen a game being this much more expensive.

(anyway, just give me a big sword. I'm the DPS warrior, or the DPS magic user.)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They're clearly racist against Europeans. *giggles*

Oh man, when I played a mage in WoW I had all the DPS. It was glorious. It just came at the cost of a fairly small mana bar.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I still think to this day that WoW is one of the most overrated games of all time.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I still think to this day that WoW is the greatest MMO of all time.

Considering I've played a fair amount of MMOs, some even to the end game, I feel like I know them enough to say this. It's just a shame WoW costs so much, and that WoW's had no competition for the longest time. It's had such a monopoly that any other MMO would be mad to fight against it.

DC Universe tried, and was pretty fun...it's now free. I've seen a few jokes about how it won't be long until Star Wars: the Old Republic turns free, since at the end game there's nothing to do.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

44R0NM10 wrote:I still think to this day that WoW is the greatest MMO of all time.

Considering I've played a fair amount of MMOs, some even to the end game, I feel like I know them enough to say this. It's just a shame WoW costs so much, and that WoW's had no competition for the longest time. It's had such a monopoly that any other MMO would be mad to fight against it.

DC Universe tried, and was pretty fun...it's now free. I've seen a few jokes about how it won't be long until Star Wars: the Old Republic turns free, since at the end game there's nothing to do.
There's also the fact most MMO's that go and try to compete with it end up being a WoW clone, leaving people disgruntled and returning to WoW because...WoW does WoW best. That's why it's still as popular as it is. Slowly losing subs but that's more people losing interest after 6 years than anything else.

Still hoping Mists makes raiding extremely fun again. Tier 11 was AMAZING but the next two tiers, excluding a SINGLE fight, were boring recycled models/fights with small twists. :<

As a random note on WoW, I'm 4 pieces (two random drop from bosses >:V) from having full best in slot for my druid. Hee hee, 3 hour raid weeks because of the current weekly nerf...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

WoW is one of the best MMORPGs ever, and is at the very least one of the most influential MMORPGs. It was very well-done and brought a lot to the table.

"Better" MMORPGs have been made but ultimately they lack staying power because they don't have nearly the player base and developer involvement WoW has.

Guys, this is really neat.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I tried the Trial and wasn't terribly drawn in by it, certainly not enough to buy the game and all the expansions on top of a monthly subscription.
Nitrosparxx

Post by Nitrosparxx »

Not really into MMO's myself, although I will say I had a ton of fun with DC Universe Online.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

It's certainly a lot harder to get into it now than it was a few years back. Mostly for that reason. You have to spend about 80 bucks to buy the game and all the expansions, and that only gives you a month's worth of game time.

I will say though that the trial hardly does the game, in its entirety, justice. You're limited to level 20, can't participate in the chats, and can't send PMs unless someone PMs you first (which won't happen often unless you can talk to a friend outside of the game on the same server). It basically forces you to chase people around with the regular white text that only people within a certain range of you will see, and will only know you're talking to them if you use their name or are directly facing them.

Communication is a pretty major factor, as one of the biggest draws of the game itself is the social aspect that comes with joining guilds, making friends, running instances and raids with those friends, etc. etc.

I've had some incredible times with that game, and even given the cost, I'd still like to go back to playing some day. I just can't afford it for the time being.

Overrated? Maybe. But it was still a genre-defining game that, while showing its age now, has been one of the biggest successes in the entire history of gaming. That's gotta count for something.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

FlintTheSquirrel

44R0NM10 wrote:I still think to this day that WoW is the greatest MMO of all time.
I remembered when you mocked WoW and said Starwars was the greatest MMO. What happened to that? ;3

Anywho, I have no greatest, I just on and off play all of the ones I play.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:
I remembered when you mocked WoW and said Starwars was the greatest MMO. What happened to that? ;3

Anywho, I have no greatest, I just on and off play all of the ones I play.
I never mocked WoW, I just said that the Old Republic may manage to 'beat' WoW. A lot of people thought it could've been the new World of Warcraft on release. That was before they found out about how there was a lack of things to do at end game though.