My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Sleet »

Way too anime though. D:
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote:Way too anime though. D:
That's why I like it.
:D
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

I found this enjoyable to watch.
Mainly because I like this type of music.
Who Dat Pony (PMV)
ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

5500 posts in less than 90 days on this subject?

I started showing MLP on a 100 inch projection TV screen back in August, 2011. I don't know if it was a good idea or not, 'cause now my oldest son have five MLP T-shirts for school that he rotates through every single week. He has about a thousand pony songs on his MP3 player. He has every McDonalds happy meal pony, three-times over, and he's customized them into fictional characters that haven't even appeared on the show. He's created miniature book cases & mini-books and scrolls, and created MLP dioramas for display on his bookshelf in his room!

It's a cool show & all, but is it really THAT cool?

--Tycho
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's kind of excessive, but I'd be glad he enjoys it!

How much have you seen, if I may ask?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

The Pony Pokey crew watch the very first every episode!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL6zVUGsKnk

Its remarkable how far we have come!

Ponies reenact "Watchmen"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi8GV_pq3Gg

In a fan made animated movie!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

Anthony Bourdain eats Rainbow Dash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JppPNPwFz_U
this is too good
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I had a thought on why MLP:FiM might have become so popular: has there ever been a traditional-formatted cartoon series that takes place in a standard-ish fantasy universe before? I can't think of any.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Cm4F wrote:I found this enjoyable to watch.
Mainly because I like this type of music.
Who Dat Pony (PMV)
I've noticed a trend since I started watching PMVs. Ponies make just about anything, whether I like the music or not, acceptable to me. Even music that I usually avoid like the plague, I don't mind so much when people put it to FiM clips. It's kinda ridiculous.
Sleet wrote:I had a thought on why MLP:FiM might have become so popular: has there ever been a traditional-formatted cartoon series that takes place in a standard-ish fantasy universe before? I can't think of any.
I'm not sure how much that actually impacted its popularity (personally, I think it's mostly a mix of nostalgia for older cartoons and an overwhelming amount of cute, not dissimilar to LOLcats and other such things; but that's just my opinion), but I can't really think of cartoon off the top of my head that would fit that description.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote:I had a thought on why MLP:FiM might have become so popular: has there ever been a traditional-formatted cartoon series that takes place in a standard-ish fantasy universe before? I can't think of any.
what are the rules to classify as standard cartoon. Because I can think of a few.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Just the general traditional animation. Episodes usually not sequential, focused on being funny and not action-y, et cetera. And also I think it could be argued that Adventure Time counts, though it came out around the same time MLP:FiM did.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote:Just the general traditional animation. Episodes usually not sequential, focused on being funny and not action-y, et cetera. And also I think it could be argued that Adventure Time counts, though it came out around the same time MLP:FiM did.
So just modern cartoons? Because I can think of courage the cowardly dog, Ed, edd, eddy, I'm weasel, Johnny Bravo, Rocko's modern life.
Talking about new cartoons I've read some people who work for Hub are expecting adult males to enjoy the new carebears cgi cartoon and are suggesting the fans to call themselves as blly bros. It also looks like Hub fired the guys who said that.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/the-hub-h ... dudes.html
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commen ... 80%9Ccare-
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

None of those, to my knowledge, are variations on the standard fantasy setting like Adventure Time and MLP are.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote:None of those, to my knowledge, are variations on the standard fantasy setting like Adventure Time and MLP are.
You want more fantasy than a cartoon about a dog who can use a computer who has a conscience of its own (the dog also is inteligent too) and has to deal with magical, supernatural and aliens on a daily basis?
You and I disagree what is fantasy.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

angelusbr wrote:
Sleet wrote:None of those, to my knowledge, are variations on the standard fantasy setting like Adventure Time and MLP are.
You want more fantasy than a cartoon about a dog who can use a computer who has a conscience of its own (the dog also is inteligent too) and has to deal with magical, supernatural and aliens on a daily basis?
He means fantasy like The Lord of the Rings or Shannara, stuff like that.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yes, that.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Penwrite wrote:
angelusbr wrote:
He means fantasy like The Lord of the Rings or Shannara, stuff like that.
what?
Sleet wrote:Just the general traditional animation. Episodes usually not sequential, focused on being funny and not action-y, et cetera. And also I think it could be argued that Adventure Time counts, though it came out around the same time MLP:FiM did.
I didn't know Lord of the rings was a comedy book (though I didn't read them).
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Right, okay, let's start over before somebody loses their temper. We know Lord of the Rings is not a comedy. It is a specific type of fantasy. MLP is a comedy and shares many elements with that specific type of fantasy. Can anyone think of any other shows fitting those criteria other than Adventure Time?

There, was that so hard, Angelusbr?

Edit: I'm sorry. I let my emotions get the better of me there at the end.
Last edited by Penwrite on Thu May 17, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

angelusbr wrote:
I didn't know Lord of the rings was a comedy book (though I didn't read them).
Those are qualities of the show, Sleet is asking about that type of show that shares a similar setting to LotR.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Sleet wrote:Who is that by?
TheArtrix, he has made this video and this art
Pretty much talked to him all day, he even driven me home after the Meetup, the guys awesome.

I felt a but stupid when a McDonald MLP toy went for 20 euro at the auction and this went for 1 euro to donate for the next meetup, (I stilled payed 5 for it thought.)
different taste I guess.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Okay. I'm confused here not angry or anything, so don't worry, penwrite.
The thing is sleet asked about fantasy shows like my little pony, I then suggested a few and he saidthat he meant was about comedy shows, then penwrite suggests Lotr and sleet says penwrite was correct. hence my confusion.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Think a Lord of the Rings setting, with all those mythical beasts, but make it a show that fits the criteria Sleet listed.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Think a Lord of the Rings setting, with all those mythical beasts, but make it a show that fits the criteria Sleet listed.
so kinda of a medieval-ish scenario yet with comedy?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

not exactly. move the setting up a few years but keep the same mythological beings. like MLP.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:not exactly. move the setting up a few years but keep the same mythological beings. like MLP.
I think I get it now. and I don't think I know any cartoon like this. at least not one I can remember.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Has anyone else here read Fallout: Equestria? (I won't link to it, as it's hardly forum appropriate; Read at your own risk.)

I know we had a sort-of conversation several pages back regarding grimdark fanfictions about MLP, but this one was never brought up specifically. Those who don't like the darker MLP crossover-type fanfictions will absolutely not like this story, but if that doesn't bother you, it's a crazy-intricate and well-told story. I just finished it earlier today, and it's just one of those stories where I feel incredibly nostalgic when I think about the first couple chapters (considering I only read those early chapters a couple days ago, that's quite an accomplishment in my book).

It did a great job of emotionally investing the reader in the various characters, and I was on the verge of tears more than once (to give that some context, My Little Dashie barely got a reaction out of me). I was honest-to-goodness terrified for a long time that one of the characters was going to be killed off (they are/were my favorite character in the story), and I could hardly put it down because of that. I just wanted to know what happened next, whole way through.

As with anything, it had it's weak points, but right now I honestly just want to gush about how insanely awesome it is, because yeah.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

KJOokami wrote:Has anyone else here read Fallout: Equestria? (I won't link to it, as it's hardly forum appropriate; Read at your own risk.)

I know we had a sort-of conversation several pages back regarding grimdark fanfictions about MLP, but this one was never brought up specifically. Those who don't like the darker MLP crossover-type fanfictions will absolutely not like this story, but if that doesn't bother you, it's a crazy-intricate and well-told story. I just finished it earlier today, and it's just one of those stories where I feel incredibly nostalgic when I think about the first couple chapters (considering I only read those early chapters a couple days ago, that's quite an accomplishment in my book).

It did a great job of emotionally investing the reader in the various characters, and I was on the verge of tears more than once (to give that some context, My Little Dashie barely got a reaction out of me). I was honest-to-goodness terrified for a long time that one of the characters was going to be killed off (they are/were my favorite character in the story), and I could hardly put it down because of that. I just wanted to know what happened next, whole way through.

As with anything, it had it's weak points, but right now I honestly just want to gush about how insanely awesome it is, because yeah.
I've seen this story at Equestria daily, I guess. Does it has just OCs or are the mane 6 in there as well?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

KJOokami wrote:Has anyone else here read Fallout: Equestria? (I won't link to it, as it's hardly forum appropriate; Read at your own risk.)

I want to but its just way to long for me to get into at the moment.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

For those who don't mind shipping, I strongly recommend the fic Once Bitten, Twice Shy. It's Twilight/Fluttershy, and it is FREAKING HILARIOUS. Seriously, it is one of if not THE funniest story I've ever read.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I've read "On a cross and arrow."
It's somewhat shipping' ish, but in a sarcastic kinda way.
It's about the mane 6 ending up in a parallel world where everyone is gender swapped. (If you have seen gender swapped fan art, it's probably based of this fic)

"It Takes a Village" is a personal favorite for mine looking back at it.
Spike grows up and being determined to stay in Ponyville.

"Progress" was a fic that's light and has tons of comedy.
Basically it's about Luna trying to settle back in this time period after she's been gone for such a long time.

Was reading "It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door" but I got a bit bored.
it's good tough, it follows the shows idea very well, no shipping, no OC's, just 3 of the mane 6 having to go out of Equestia territory for Twilight.

And I was reading Little wings, but then suddenly, blood, broken wings, and crying everywhere, so I was like: "Nope.avi"
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Personally I think one of the better writers (if not the best) in this fandom is short skirts and explosions. He writes End of Ponies so if you liked Fallout: Equestria you should give that a try, just beware each section (of which there are 4) of it is the length of a good sized Novel so its very long and only like 1/3rd finished.

Another one I'm enjoying is Though the Eyes of another Pony by CardsLafter its a human in Equestria Fic which, much like grimdark stuff, is not every ones cup of tea but I think its pretty good.

Background Pony also by short skirts and explosions is another great read. Windfall and its sequel Earth and Sky by Warren Hutch are good light hearted stories with only mild shipping.

Flutterphysics by J M OHare is an interesting little story that has a bit more realistic take on FiM and I think its one of the first times anyone has done a Pony in the real world story.

While not a Fanfic if you also like Ace Attorney you really should watch Turnabout Storm on Youtube

Edit: Oh and Another one I really liked was My Little Hangover by Mousetrap it is exactly what it sounds like The Hangover told with Ponies (but its different enough from the Movie, only some things are the same beyond the basic premise of course.)
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

A fanfic I recomend is "a day with twilkight sparkle" it's a nice and touching fic between twilight and Spike.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

angelusbr wrote:I've seen this story at Equestria daily, I guess. Does it has just OCs or are the mane 6 in there as well?
The mane 6 are only in it via flashbacks through items called 'Memory Orbs'. The story takes place about 200 years after the events of the show. Long enough for a war to break out, the magical equivalent of a nuclear holocaust to occur, and for the inevitable wasteland that is created to obliterate any sense of balance and order to the world.

I feel like they did a great job of piecing together all the events that happened that led from the world we know and love from the show to the barren wasteland that is explored through the story. There are also dozens of references back to the show, from lines in the story mirroring or twisting lines directly from the show to more subtle nods to things that only people who've seen the show will understand; I'll admit that this was also one of its flaws, that being that some of the references were more than a little bit forced and kinda had me rolling my eyes. Most of it is implemented pretty well though.
IceKitsune wrote:I want to but its just way to long for me to get into at the moment.
Yeah, I feel ya there. If I hadn't been away at my sister's college graduation, where I had a ton of free time, I'd have been hard-pressed to finish the story because I really didn't want to stop reading the whole way through, but I don't always have that much free time.

Feel free to give it a shot when you've got more time though. You might not like it as much as I did, but I can't not at least recommend others to give it a shot because of how much I enjoyed it. :)
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I can't ever read Fallout: Equestria, or anything like it. I have a very weak constitution for sad endings. Hopelessness and despair I can barely stand. I need my happy ending, darn it! And Fallout: Equestria just sounds too dark for me...
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well I just finished It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door (read it in two days) that was pretty good, I just feel it needs an actual sequel. Overall it was a very good little story (that falters a bit towards the end IMO mostly due to the fact that it really feels like there should be more to it.) I back up Kyderras' recommendation.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

IceKitsune wrote:Well I just finished It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door (read it in two days) that was pretty good, I just feel it needs an actual sequel. Overall it was a very good little story (that falters a bit towards the end IMO mostly due to the fact that it really feels like there should be more to it.) I back up Kyderras' recommendation.
Funny you mention that. I actually got permission from the author to include elements from that fic in my stories. Shield Maiden is one of the semi-main characters for my story Equestrian Knights, while Lady Falalauria and Gildedale play some important roles. They aren't perfect sequels, and they probably aren't counted as in-canon with Dangerous Business, but my stuff is also probably the closest thing we'll ever get to actual sequels.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Well I just finished It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door (read it in two days) that was pretty good, I just feel it needs an actual sequel. Overall it was a very good little story (that falters a bit towards the end IMO mostly due to the fact that it really feels like there should be more to it.) I back up Kyderras' recommendation.
Funny you mention that. I actually got permission from the author to include elements from that fic in my stories. Shield Maiden is one of the semi-main characters for my story Equestrian Knights, while Lady Falalauria and Gildedale play some important roles. They aren't perfect sequels, and they probably aren't counted as in-canon with Dangerous Business, but my stuff is also probably the closest thing we'll ever get to actual sequels.
Good, I will read that at some point, it just sucks we most likely will never see an official sequel (Because seriously Dangerous Business feels like it was meant to be the first of a trilogy) however reading about Shield Maiden, Gildedale, and Falaluria again will be good.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

So... I want to cosplay as a Changeling. All I'd really need is a black hoodie with holes in the sleeves, black pants with holes in the legs, and I have a pair of sunglasses with a bluish lens and black/gray frames. I feel it's one of the easiest things from MLP to cosplay.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Or just don't wear anything and say you transformed.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Penwrite wrote:I can't ever read Fallout: Equestria, or anything like it. I have a very weak constitution for sad endings. Hopelessness and despair I can barely stand. I need my happy ending, darn it! And Fallout: Equestria just sounds too dark for me...
Ohhhhhhh yes. To say that FO:E is one heaping helping of hopelessness and despair would be an understatement. It has a handful of moments throughout the story where things calm down and it seems happy, but until the very end those moments are few and far between (a little too sparce for my liking; I love darker stuff, but I need my reprieve's of happiness as much as anyone else), and even the end is hardly "happy". It's bittersweet in the worst of ways, to be honest. I mean, in the end, everything goes back to relative normality; towns are re-established and are flourishing, all of the radiation and taint has been cleansed from Equestria, and all of the major threats that arise in the story are taken care of, only stray bandits and raiders left to wreak havoc. But what the main protagonist (LittlePip) has to do in order to restore that balance to the land is absolutely heartbreaking. ;__;

It's an amazing story, but I know that most people probably can't handle how dark and twisted a story it is.