My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Kyderra

Re: My Little Pony

Post by Kyderra »

for some reason it sounded like BBBFF in my head..
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I just now remembered the only part of the finale I hated: the PFF comment. *groan*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Yeah, that line was suuuper forced. Haha.

But it's just corny enough that it makes me chuckle anyway. "Good one, AJ. Very creative."
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

that would be like me saying "oh look, it's my human friend forever"
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

To be fair, they use the word "pony" way more often than we use the word "human". Who would live in "Humanville", or dismiss something as "an old human's tale", or use the euphemisms "human feathers" or "for human's sake"? Maybe they just have a greater sense of species-pride because they live in a world with multiple sentient species? Who knows.

I don't think the PFF joke is exactly remarkable (I didn't even remember it until you brought it up), but I also don't think it's anything new for them to use the word "pony" in a situation that doesn't really make sense. Most writers are human, I can understand why it happens.

Now that I think about it there probably is such a town as Humanville, but that doesn't make it any less odd of a name.
Image Image
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

CaptainPea wrote:Most writers are human
not all.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
CaptainPea wrote:Most writers are human
not all.
some writers are single cell bacteria
some are narwhals
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Hmm, it's been surprisingly hard to find an artist interested in drawing my hippogriff OC for an upcoming fan fic. :(
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

CaptainPea wrote:To be fair, they use the word "pony" way more often than we use the word "human". Who would live in "Humanville", or dismiss something as "an old human's tale", or use the euphemisms "human feathers" or "for human's sake"? Maybe they just have a greater sense of species-pride because they live in a world with multiple sentient species? Who knows.

I don't think the PFF joke is exactly remarkable (I didn't even remember it until you brought it up), but I also don't think it's anything new for them to use the word "pony" in a situation that doesn't really make sense. Most writers are human, I can understand why it happens.

Now that I think about it there probably is such a town as Humanville, but that doesn't make it any less odd of a name.
Ponyville gets a pass because it's a legacy term, much like the ridiculous-sounding "cutie mark."
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Fluttershy's Bad "Hare" Day Fluttershy gets turned into a Rabbit and Angel Bunny is a member of the Rabbit Mafia, which is now part of my Head Canon.
exranio

Post by exranio »

If the rabbit mafia actually kills, extorts, and do other various high class crimes I'll be interested.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

My ears are bleeding from balloon party, this music is amazing (if you like that sort of thing)
http://balloonparty.bandcamp.com/
#1 selling item on Bandcamp, we even crashed the server during release.

PS.
I don't know if your browser can translate, but here is a link to a article I made about Archie and Brony music.
http://www.remixxclub.nl/index.php/item ... iratiebron
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

exranio wrote:If the rabbit mafia actually kills, extorts, and do other various high class crimes I'll be interested.
Well in the story they at least extort food from other Animals as payment and they do steal food and other things as well.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:
CaptainPea wrote:To be fair, they use the word "pony" way more often than we use the word "human". Who would live in "Humanville", or dismiss something as "an old human's tale", or use the euphemisms "human feathers" or "for human's sake"? Maybe they just have a greater sense of species-pride because they live in a world with multiple sentient species? Who knows.

Ponyville gets a pass because it's a legacy term, much like the ridiculous-sounding "cutie mark."
You think the term "cutie mark" sounds ridiculous? What else could they call them?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

They could be called any number of things, including "responsibility/fate/destiny marks." The term 'cutie mark' does nothing to imply exactly what the symbol is.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Penwrite wrote:You think the term "cutie mark" sounds ridiculous? What else could they call them?
flank logos
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I can't explain why, but all the alternatives you two gave just make me giggle. "Cutie mark" might not really give an idea of what the marks do, but the name fits into the general aesthetic of the show.

Besides, cutie marks are still better than belly badges. *glares at the new care bears show*
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

If you wanted to go completely non silly you could just call them Brands or something like that like Flutterphysics does.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

IceKitsune wrote:If you wanted to go completely non silly you could just call them Brands or something like that like Flutterphysics does.
That...gives me uncomfortable mental images of fillies and colts getting branded...
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Dissension wrote:They could be called any number of things, including "responsibility/fate/destiny marks." The term 'cutie mark' does nothing to imply exactly what the symbol is.
All three of those names more personify the problem a lot of members have with what cutie marks seem to symbolize: that being that the mark is more of a message from a higher power that dictates what a pony must do with their life, rather than what they're good at or personally enjoy.

Honestly, I agree with Penwrite that the name 'cutie mark', while much less descriptive than potential alternatives, is still a much better choice, all things considered.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

KJOokami wrote:
Dissension wrote:They could be called any number of things, including "responsibility/fate/destiny marks." The term 'cutie mark' does nothing to imply exactly what the symbol is.
All three of those names more personify the problem a lot of members have with what cutie marks seem to symbolize: that being that the mark is more of a message from a higher power that dictates what a pony must do with their life, rather than what they're good at or personally enjoy.

Honestly, I agree with Penwrite that the name 'cutie mark', while much less descriptive than potential alternatives, is still a much better choice, all things considered.
The problem with saying they are directly from some kind of a "Higher Power" like that is the fact that Cutie Pox is a thing, since they can be a disease that implies they are something in nature, most likely from the ambient magic in their universe combined with the subconscious of the Pony getting it.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Belly Badges are cool!
All things aside my only problem with cutie marks is that it makes me laugh because a male's is still called a cutie mark.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

IceKitsune wrote:The problem with saying they are directly from some kind of a "Higher Power" like that is the fact that Cutie Pox is a thing, since they can be a disease that implies they are something in nature, most likely from the ambient magic in their universe combined with the subconscious of the Pony getting it.
I think you're taking my comment a little too literally.

What I was saying is that the names that Diss suggested could also suggest much larger implications about what a cutie mark means in the context of the FiM universe. If they were called either 'fate' or 'destiny' marks, that would imply an obligation to seek career and life aspirations that match to your personal mark, rather than the other way around. And 'responsibility' mark has a similar problem in that it applies a form of resignation to the mark, confining the pony to whatever their mark entails. With this though, it's less of an obligation and more of a, "You don't have to do this, necessarily, but if you don't then you are failing to live up to your responsibility.", which is just as bad.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Talent marks? Special marks?
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I never got a sense of obligation from cutie marks. Cheerilee described them as symbolizing what makes a pony special, and Twilight and the other mane 6 said pretty much the same thing. If they were supposed to symbolize what a pony must do for their lives, wouldn't ponies be born with them rather than get them well into life?

What I'm thinking is, we all have things we enjoy doing. We all have things we are really good at. A lot of the time it takes us a while to figure out what we're good at and what we want to do with our lives. I didn't realize that I was talented at writing and wanted to do it for a living until I was in college. Ponies are just lucky in that they get a badge of honor to show this off.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Sleet wrote:Talent marks? Special marks?
Those would be acceptable, I think. Though cutie mark still works better, in my opinion.

@Pen: That's exactly my point. There is no obligation in it, which is why the names that Diss brought up really wouldn't work well, because those names would imply a sense of obligation.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:Talent marks? Special marks?
Talent Marks is better then Cutie Marks IMO, Special Marks is just far to generic.

Edit: Strength Big Mac is Strong!
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

erm....
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well played mister mau5
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

What am I looking at?
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

Dead Mau5 (pronounced mouse)

he is one the biggest techno artists in the world
he played for the after party of the first minecon
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Cool. Now if only I liked Techno...
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I think he's more of a Trance/Electronica artist than a Techno artist. Either way, definitely better than Skrillex.

On-topic, I'm done with the primary recording for my Smile cover. Just need to add the "Hello! How ya doin'?" "What's up? Howdy!" etc. etc. between the lyrics in the verses and (depending on how they sound) add some harmonies. :)

Realized far too late that my entire last recording (This Day Aria) was done on my laptop mic because I didn't think to set the default recording device in my recording software to my new mic, so it defaulted back to my laptop. So the quality on this one is a good bit better. :D I'll let you guys know when I get it posted on Youtube.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I never was a big fan of that kind of music (though I'm trying to learn) and yet I liked him! He's worth listening to.

I'd just melt if I saw him do a My Little Pony remix of some sort. Or a song that heavily samples MLP. We can't let the amateurs have all the fun!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Ooh, ooh, you know who would be awesome to have do an MLP song? Daft Punk.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well any good artist doing a MLP song would be cool. The only reason I suggested Dead Mau5 is because he apparently likes the show.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I'd honestly like to believe that Dead Mau5 legitimately likes the show, but the cynic in me keeps telling me that he only wore an MLP shirt to see how his fans would react. Since hating on bronies and FiM in general is pretty much the "cool" thing to do nowadays, I kinda wanna say that he's curious to see how many of his fans would send him hate mail for it and how many would turn around and start following the show just because he wanted them to believe he watches it himself.
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc »

On my absence, I am proud to say I have become a member of "the herd" as to say =P Also I noticed quite a few celebs are turning to the herd as well =P
I'm a brony now, Bronies are cool - Doctor Whooves =3
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Its time for another installment of MLP AV club! Here is your challenge!

G1's second episode, "Escape from Catrina"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogt3KZ66seQ

The ponies are menaced by a evil cat lady with a voice like Ertha Kitt. I guess this could be the origin of the furry vs brony wars since in has the ponies in conflict with an anthropomorphic cat.

Thoughts and reflections?
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Hey, I just made this
And it's pretty crazy
And I worked real hard on it
So listen, maybe?