Arc #61: PsyCon2: PsyConner

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
RootsofOrigin

Re: Arc #61: PsyCon2: PsyConner

Post by RootsofOrigin »

So now Peanut is trapped in an alternate universe?
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

RootsofOrigin wrote:So now Peanut is trapped in an alternate universe?
I don't think he is, but my theoretical time travel is a bit rusty. Peanut should be out of the time loop now.

Peanut and Sgt. Cortez would get along quite well.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Gah all this weird time stuff and multiple copies reminds me of Problem Sleuth.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
holmebrian

Post by holmebrian »

atleast she didnt get mad this time
Karl

Post by Karl »

Strange, I could have sworn that I've seen that Swami guy before...
I'm a bookworm!
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Sleet wrote:Gah all this weird time stuff and multiple copies reminds me of Problem Sleuth.
Oh come on, what I'm doing is basically the beginner's guide to time clones.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Yea, I've had no problem following what has been going on.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

DanTwelve3 wrote:I don't think he is, but my theoretical time travel is a bit rusty. Peanut should be out of the time loop now.
I know it's the same Peanut, but is he in a slightly different universe now? Look at the Swami-Hat Guy and the Other Swami-Hat Guy.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

One guy's at the entrance; another's at the "exit."

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Karl

Post by Karl »

Dissension wrote:One guy's at the entrance; another's at the "exit."
You're wrong. Actually, one guy's at the exit; another's at the "entrance".
I'm a bookworm!
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

You both have compelling arguments.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

There are actually three Peanuts (Future Peanut, Present Peanut, and Past Peanut) between the two comics, but yes, the Peanut that we are following is now out of the time loop.

Future Peanut walked away from the table and through the door (this was off-screen; before the comic), came out the other side and walked by Present Peanut, whom he suggested do the same (in order to avoid a time paradox). So Present Peanut walked through the door as well, came out the other side and walked by Past Peanut, and suggested he do the same (again, to avoid a paradox). Now Present Peanut will continue on in the comic as usual, and Past Peanut will be left to follow the same turn of events, warn Further Past Peanut, and so on and so forth.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

KJOokami wrote:There are actually three Peanuts (Future Peanut, Present Peanut, and Past Peanut) between the two comics, but yes, the Peanut that we are following is now out of the time loop.

Future Peanut walked away from the table and through the door (this was off-screen; before the comic), came out the other side and walked by Present Peanut, whom he suggested do the same (in order to avoid a time paradox). So Present Peanut walked through the door as well, came out the other side and walked by Past Peanut, and suggested he do the same (again, to avoid a paradox). Now Present Peanut will continue on in the comic as usual, and Past Peanut will be left to follow the same turn of events, warn Further Past Peanut, and so on and so forth.
Then again, it may not be so infinite and just require the process to be done just once more. Sometimes it only has to be corrected once and everything is fine and dandy afterwards.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

rickgriffin wrote:
Sleet wrote:Gah all this weird time stuff and multiple copies reminds me of Problem Sleuth.
Oh come on, what I'm doing is basically the beginner's guide to time clones.
You say that now, but then Fiesta Peanut is going to come up, and the future/past splitting's gonna happen, and it's just going to be one big clustercuss for everyone.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sleet wrote:You say that now, but then Fiesta Peanut is going to come up, and the future/past splitting's gonna happen, and it's just going to be one big clustercuss for everyone.
Even worse... Spot Peanut.

Punching Sound Effects made real.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

GameCobra wrote:Then again, it may not be so infinite and just require the process to be done just once more. Sometimes it only has to be corrected once and everything is fine and dandy afterwards.
It's infinite by the very nature of its existence. It can't work any other way (that I'm aware of). Because if Peanut were to not go back in time (thence walking by his past self), there would be two Peanuts in a single time period, which is generally a bad thing. Which means he's kind of forced (by his own curiosity more than anything, I suppose) to walk through the door, which will continuously repeat the cycle for eternity.

Everything is fine and dandy though, because no single Peanut stays in the loop for more than the time that was shown in the last two comics. So while we can't, and won't (unless Rick decides to come back to this at some point to spite me), see the loop any more, it'll still be there.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

KJOokami wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Then again, it may not be so infinite and just require the process to be done just once more. Sometimes it only has to be corrected once and everything is fine and dandy afterwards.
It's infinite by the very nature of its existence. It can't work any other way (that I'm aware of). Because if Peanut were to not go back in time (thence walking by his past self), there would be two Peanuts in a single time period, which is generally a bad thing. Which means he's kind of forced (by his own curiosity more than anything, I suppose) to walk through the door, which will continuously repeat the cycle for eternity.

Everything is fine and dandy though, because no single Peanut stays in the loop for more than the time that was shown in the last two comics. So while we can't, and won't (unless Rick decides to come back to this at some point to spite me), see the loop any more, it'll still be there.
but Time travel means that all of time is always in existence. people assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

KJOokami wrote:It's infinite by the very nature of its existence. It can't work any other way (that I'm aware of). Because if Peanut were to not go back in time (thence walking by his past self), there would be two Peanuts in a single time period, which is generally a bad thing. Which means he's kind of forced (by his own curiosity more than anything, I suppose) to walk through the door, which will continuously repeat the cycle for eternity.

Actually, in this case, there's a gate which is being used for both the beginning and the end in this case, so there's definitely a way to end it, it just depends on the nature of the gate. Peanut can either go through a infinite loop or only has to go through with it once to end it, depending on the nature of the gate.

Time is infinite, but it ain't invincible. It's just complicated because there's a beginning and an end, and if the inbetween ain't fixed properly, it keeps going and going. In this case, Peanut actually fixed the problem properly and actually wrapped it up nicely. It depends on the nature of the gate whether there will be a loop or not.

Edited because i keep calling it a door instead of a gate X3
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

@GC and KJ
Well, really from a 4th dimensional viewpoint this only happens once, and with only one Peanut. It's our limited 3rd dimensional viewpoint that causes us to think of this in terms of multiple Peanuts and infinitely repeating processes.
The term time loop is actually the best way to describe it. In 3D, while walking forward we can decide to add a loop to our path. The same is true in 4D except the loop can also be through time. We see 2 Peanuts, but it's really just 1 Peanut taking a detour through time and overlapping with a point in time where he has been before.
(This is, of course, if my understanding of the 4th dimension is correct).

So it actually should appear infinite. If at some point the "process" stops, it contradicts the fact that Peanut made a loop in time. Peanut cannot both make a loop in time and not make a loop in time (A & !A is false).
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:time blah blah blah, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.
That's all I picked up. l:B
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

RootsofOrigin wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:time blah blah blah, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff.
That's all I picked up. l:B
don't worry, that was the important part.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

woow... Mr.Root, I agree with you!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Obbl wrote:We see 2 Peanuts, but it's really just 1 Peanut taking a detour through time and overlapping with a point in time where he has been before.
That's kinda what I was getting at. There is only one Peanut, but when he loops back in time and meets himself, there are now two entities involved. So there are two of entities, but they are the same in every way. Think of them as "time clones".

As Brent pointed out, in this theory, there is technically a version of Peanut which exists for each and every millisecond of his life. So, say Peanut got a hold of a time machine which allowed him to travel back to any point of his life as many times as he wanted. He could travel back four seconds, meet himself, take that "time clone" with him, and travel back eight seconds, collect another clone of himself, and so on and so forth until he'd amassed a literal army of himself that he could bring back to another point in time.

But that's how paradoxes are created. If Peanut took himself away four seconds before he entered the time machine, then he never would have entered the time machine to go back and get himself, and therefore he couldn't have gone back four seconds to take himself, which means that he could enter the time machine to go back and take himself.

And I forgot where I was going with that.

Something about paradoxes keeping Peanut from doing anything but continuing in the loop indefinitely.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

ah, but what if current Peanut returned 4 seconds ago Peanut to 2 seconds between the two points and that Peanut went in the time machine?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

Ummm... what?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:ah, but what if current Peanut returned 4 seconds ago Peanut to 2 seconds between the two points and that Peanut went in the time machine?
But then what happens when four-seconds-ago Peanut takes the time machine back to four-seconds-ago to retrieve four-seconds-ago Peanut? There will be no one there to pick up.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

but there will be, because he'll have become current Peanut and the 4 seconds ago peanut will be there since he hasn't yet been picked up by current Peanut.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Gren

Post by Gren »

Huh, I think you are over-thinking this :?
ImageImage