Rant: Seeing things that aren't there

Discuss the comic here
Indagare

Rant: Seeing things that aren't there

Post by Indagare »

Or "why we can't have nice things".

So in the comic today (2/25/13 for future references) there is a red curtain and a bush which have somehow turned into blood! This, despite the fact the comic is G to PG. Now, at sometime, Rick will turn a perfectly good red curtain into some other color because people can't stop being stupid about it.

This isn't the first time this happened. There was a whole arc aborted because of this and a certain Canadian symbol turned from green to yellow because, of course, Rick must really mean something else when there's - GASP! - a green Canadian leaf.

What is wrong with people?! Rick shouldn't have to change things in the comic, but somehow people are seeing things that aren't there. It's not like this doesn't happen anywhere else, but it's a curtain for the love of the Great Kitsune!
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
Karl

Re: Rant: Seeing things that aren't there

Post by Karl »

rickgriffin wrote:Guess what object of a certain color I’m changing in the morning
Please don't do this. Don't let it get into you.
I'm a bookworm!
Duster

Post by Duster »

Yeah Rick for what it's worth the strip is just fine the way it is. I really don't think it's blood and it certainly only takes a few seconds for someone with an under developed imagination (like myself ) to grasp what the object really is. As for why people said it looked like blood.... I'm sure it was just the color of the curtain, but it's nothing you should lose any sleep over. That and people also like to be silly on the comment section.
Your doing great with the comic, I really believe that you have a gift with storytelling, heck and drawing too! So just take comments with a grain of salt, if you ever want constructive criticism we here at the forums would certainly be the first to help. I think I speak for everyone when I say that we love what you're doing and we want to see you succeed in all that you do! Just keep up the good work man and don't be afraid to let us know if there is anything we can do to help you.
Last edited by Duster on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I didn't even think it looked like blood unless I look at it specifically expecting blood.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Gren

Post by Gren »

Gahahahaha!! It is so ridiculous that I can't stop laughing. Seriously, how you could complain for such a petty detail? Instead of that I would complain for the incomprehensible wall of text behind Yeltsin :lol:
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

WHY IS THERE BLOOD IN THIS COMIC?!?

Ok, seriously though. Redness shouldn't be an issue since i'm very certain any acts of violence are either off-screen or are used in conjunction with expression or anger. Like MAxwell and Fido
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Yeah, I wasn't sure what it was, but I knew it wasn't blood.

however, I should point out that the arc that was aborted was not because someone saw something that wasn't there, but because it pretty clearly had Max addicted to catnip, and was smoking it instead of how catnip is actually used, and there was a dealer for it just like illegal substances because stores aren't allowed to sell catnip to pets. as far as I know, it was entirely Rick's decision.

but yes, changing a color just because it vaguely resembles something else is a silly thing to do, but also it doesn't effect the strip in any major way so if Rick decides to change it, it doesn't make the strip any different.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I can see the blood, but really, it is only because I watch too many horror shows and film. I can pretty clearly see the curtain there too.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Fans can be awesome and crazy and can, on occasion, take things far, far too far. Sometimes, the only way to make them shut up is to change a trivial detail. It sucks, but that's reality (and easier than finding and throttling certain people).

It's also less illegal.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

I changed it to a yellow curtain, though it was mostly to make everyone's comments in the comment section look ridiculous now

But anyway, this was a matter of telegraphing my intent and my inclination towards red curtains and the fact that I drew them scrunched apparently confused some people . . . you know, despite the fact that, given their interpretation, the entire last panel of the comic makes no sense whatsoever

I should have probably established the situation better anyhow. Oh well, nothing to do for it now
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Rick: Master Yellow-Turner.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

now it's just a troll's blood
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Poor, poor Sollux.
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

I think part of the confusion was caused by the fact that the interior of the clubhouse has rarely been drawn.

I know we have this strip as evidence to a red curtain but it was drawn a long time ago so those folk probably forgot.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/2011/05/ ... o-take-ii/
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
Cyan Leopard

Post by Cyan Leopard »

Why is this even an issue?

Also only fresh blood looks red and blood on fabric after a few minutes actually looks black. So this should all be a non issue.
This is me trying to not get sanctioned by the MODs again, shhhh they're watching me.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Dissension wrote:Fans can be awesome and crazy and can, on occasion, take things far, far too far. Sometimes, the only way to make them shut up is to change a trivial detail. It sucks, but that's reality (and easier than finding and throttling certain people).

It's also less illegal.
Rick could've opted to give it some more legality, treating it like cigarettes instead of drugs, but in the end it doesn't really need it. Besides, that's what fanfics are for, right?

Also, HOLY SALMON 6666 POSTS FOR DISSENSION WERE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!

EDIT: The number 666 really does follow me around. I'm not even joking...
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I stated it's less illegal to change something in the comic because fans are idiots than to throttle said idiots.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

To save time, spare Rick and because I can, I will now be visiting fans who are being gits and throttling them myself, because well every fourm needs someone like that.