So, I'm confused

Discuss the comic here
Silly Zealot

Re: So, I'm confused

Post by Silly Zealot »

I've got to agree. One would think anyone who gets to Heaven would be taught to coexist with all other beings in peace, not to separate them by species.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I wonder if Rick expected people to overanalyze the philosophy of his comic like this when he first conceived it. *giggles*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Sleet wrote:I wonder if Rick expected people to overanalyze the philosophy of his comic like this when he first conceived it. *giggles*
ImageAbsoloutely yes!

On the King thing, I think giving in to Bailey was him making the decision. Then again, this topic is supposed to be about Peanut and Grape :?
Gren wrote:Thats justify the unjustifiable...
You have a funny way of "cutting it out" ;)
Gren wrote:A bit of off-topic:
Silly Zealot, 'the land of dulce de leche' ... you're from my country?
Dulce de Leche is actually quite popular* in all the countries of the Andes region (though not always by that name) and to a slightly lesser extent in the other South American countries. I sometimes wonder whether the Andean Comunity of Nations is brought together not by geography, but by their love for Dulce de Leche. As a bit of trivia, Chile and Venezuela dropped out of it at moments in their histories where Dulce de Leche sales were at an all-time low.

*To outsiders though, it can spark an argument similar to Vegemite for non-Australians or Peanut Butter for non-[North]Americans
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Frank wrote:
Sleet wrote:
Gren wrote:A bit of off-topic:
Silly Zealot, 'the land of dulce de leche' ... you're from my country?
Dulce de Leche is actually quite popular* in all the countries of the Andes region (though not always by that name) and to a slightly lesser extent in the other South American countries. I sometimes wonder whether the Andean Comunity of Nations is brought together not by geography, but by their love for Dulce de Leche. As a bit of trivia, Chile and Venezuela dropped out of it at moments in their histories where Dulce de Leche sales were at an all-time low.

*To outsiders though, it can spark an argument similar to Vegemite for non-Australians or Peanut Butter for non-[North]Americans
It's not like I want to burst your bubble (yes, I do), but he got it right!

Back on topic (so that a certain squirel boy doen't tear us apart) I really would like to know why some fans would like the grapenu relashionship to go forward.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

valerio

Post by valerio »

Because it would be just natural for them to be together at that level. They're already bestest friends already, they are just made for each other. :D
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Personally for me its that I've always been a fan of Victorious Childhood Friend so I always pull for it to happen. Plus they would make a cute couple.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

And then what? They'll hear the pitter-patter of the little feet of purple furred fox kits?

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Would that be from Grape marrying Karishad? *giggles*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Silly Zealot, foxes might be "the catlike canine" but that doesn't mean they're the result of crossing cats and dogs.

Though according to a children's story in The Book of the New Sun the Cheetah is the result of the Leopard and the Maned Wolf falling in love. When the Atlantic split the continents apart, Cheetah had to choose between its parents and stayed with its mother the Leopard instead of its father the Maned Wolf.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Cyan Leopard

Post by Cyan Leopard »

Well we know Peanut has romantic feelings for Grape. The real question has always been what are Grapes feelings. Grape is Peanut's first love why should them snuggling gives anyone the creeps?
This is me trying to not get sanctioned by the MODs again, shhhh they're watching me.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Grape's made her feelings pretty clear. She doesn't seem particularly attracted to Peanut (or dogs in general) but they still cuddle 'cause they're animals and they do that with those they're close to.
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

Sleet wrote:Grape's made her feelings pretty clear. She doesn't seem particularly attracted to Peanut (or dogs in general) but they still cuddle 'cause they're animals and they do that with those they're close to.
As it can be seen here:

http://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/04/30/just-friends/
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Frank

Post by Frank »

Silly Zealot wrote:And then what? They'll hear the pitter-patter of the little feet of purple furred fox kits?
Dog plus cat does not equal fox! Foxes are what you get when you have dogs behaving like cats for a very, very long time. (Sorry, pet-peve)

Also the fact that dog and cat gametes have proven to annihilate each other in the laboratory (don't ask me how I know this) makes even making a fake dog-cat impossible.
Then again, this is not the real world.
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Hukley wrote:
Sleet wrote:Grape's made her feelings pretty clear. She doesn't seem particularly attracted to Peanut (or dogs in general) but they still cuddle 'cause they're animals and they do that with those they're close to.
As it can be seen here:

I would say, that Grape doesn't know for herself, what she wants. She like Peanut a lot, but as he ist a dog she doesn't know how to handle her strange feelings - so she started dating Max. If Peanut would be a cat, he'll win for sure. But he ist not.
Both have their partners and are happy, so presently everything is fine. But I am not sure if it is already clear for Grapes what she really wants.
I remember Tartot saying that she will stay with Peanut, till Grape decided (here it is). I am curious what will happen between these four.
Last edited by Render on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Frank wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:And then what? They'll hear the pitter-patter of the little feet of purple furred fox kits?
Dog plus cat does not equal fox! Foxes are what you get when you have dogs behaving like cats for a very, very long time. (Sorry, pet-peve)

Also the fact that dog and cat gametes have proven to annihilate each other in the laboratory (don't ask me how I know this) makes even making a fake dog-cat impossible.
Then again, this is not the real world.
Oh, how brilliant! The scientists just discovered what everyone already knew: That cats and dogs are natural enemies!

Argent

Post by Argent »

Silly Zealot wrote: Oh, how brilliant! The scientists just discovered what everyone already knew: That cats and dogs are natural enemies!
JageshemashFTW

Post by JageshemashFTW »

Render wrote:
Hukley wrote:
As it can be seen here:

I would say, that Grape doesn't know for herself, what she wants. She like Peanut a lot, but as he ist a dog she doesn't know how to handle her strange feelings - so she started dating Max. If Peanut would be a cat, he'll win for sure. But he ist not.
Both have their partners and are happy, so presently everything is fine. But I am not sure if it is already clear for Grapes what she really wants.
I remember Tartot saying that she will stay with Peanut, till Grape decided (here it is). I am curious what will happen between these four.
So, basically the answer to my question is 'Let's put a pin on it and see what happens.'

On an unrelated note: As I read everything everyone has said about the nature of King's decision to forge a relationship with Bailey, as well as the psychologically unsettling implications of these decisions. Speculations to Grape's iner turmoils brought on by a feeling of neglecting what she is. And debates on the inner workings of a soul has made me realize one thing: I love this fandom more than I love the actual comic.
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Don't you love it when the fandom is fun to speculate with?

It's like rolling a Katamari... except Rick is pushing us (The forumites) And his Housepets characters into one big ball of fun.

Regarding the whole debate about Grape and Peanut, Grape's suggestion always hinted to me that she has other animals in interest besides cats. What makes this tidbit fun though is that at the time of introduction, the cats didn't have much to go by and it feels like a challenge proposed by them and Max in this case to keep her interested, which seems to be working =3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

I’ve been bottling this up for a while:

Uh, yeah, in regards to King’s situation, I’ll ask this only once: please back off on the existential stuff? (That's not a command, that's a honest request) Having proposed to Bailey, he’s GOT to have made his choice by now, the implications otherwise are unpleasant, to put it lightly. Seriously, people, the comic would lose ALL credibility to being on a high ground if that were the case.

Additionally, if several above suppositions were true their its logical conclusions, either he stays a dog and has to deal with stuff that doesn’t even deserve the time of day, or he goes back to being Joel and loses everything. It’s pretty much a Kobayashi Maru, especially for sadly devoted fans, and I know there is more to it than that.

There are times, granted, when I wish Rick would say something one or the other on these matters and stop the problematic stuff in its tracks, and I personally feel these things have been up in the air too long, but that’s for him to decide.

In other news: EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :D :D :D To the above photo.
Last edited by PhoenixAsper on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gren

Post by Gren »

valerio wrote:
Val, it's not like if I want him suffer, I'm really happy for him for all what he got so far, it's just it's a bit weird to me seeing him accepting all so easily, like it wasn't the big deal to change his lifestyle so radically, change the way he saw the world, the things he believed, the existence of gods, the way he thought about pets, everything. He says all the time how annoys him that pets just live the present not caring about anything, but it's not like he is caring about it too much either. I wonder if he even think about the implication of all of his actions. However, I am not going to say more because we already did too much topic (and by the way, King DOES have a human brain, maybe not physically but psychically. And don't forget that even if his body was changed it's still the same body, Pete didn't kill him and placed his soul in another body, he just transformed it and he can do it again if he have the chance. And this not depend on him, because as Kitsune said, sometimes mortals decisions can be overridden).
Sleet wrote:I wonder if Rick expected people to overanalyze the philosophy of his comic like this when he first conceived it. *giggles*
Here you have your answer:
JageshemashFTW wrote: As I read everything everyone has said about the nature of King's decision to forge a relationship with Bailey, as well as the psychologically unsettling implications of these decisions. Speculations to Grape's iner turmoils brought on by a feeling of neglecting what she is. And debates on the inner workings of a soul has made me realize one thing: I love this fandom more than I love the actual comic.
After all, that's the fun of it.
Silly Zealot wrote:I really would like to know why some fans would like the grapenut relashionship to go forward.
It's not like if I had a very convincing reason. I just think they are cute together X3
Besides, as I said before, they were practically the reason why I started reading the comic. Even if I am not too fan about romance and all that stuff, I have to say it was really interesting and intriguing see the love dilemma and all the drama.
However, it's not like if I didn't like the way they are now. I love Tarot and Max, they are good for them, but it's just I didn't see any interesting happening with them lately. You know me people, I just LOVE drama XD. And as icing on the cake: what can be more interesting than the desire of the forbidden fruit? :lol:
ImageImage
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Here's my thing with King.
He met Bailey right around 2 years of being a dog. He'd been drifting more and more toward acting like a dog during this time, but up 'till this point he'd been resisting the idea that he was a dog. As seen in his mental turmoil after falling head over heels for Bailey at first sight, it's obvious that he doesn't want to relinquish his humanity. By the end of the trip he has decided to just go with it.
To me this is not really such a large jump. It was just the last straw that broke his need to hold on to something he thought he was losing. Has he lost his humanity? Well, it kind of depends on how you want to define it. He's no longer a human. But in this world, the difference between humans and pets is much smaller than in ours. Regardless, he's still obviously seeing things from a human's perspective on many issues. Which is why he and Bailey got into their fight.
I like to think this is a good thing for him. He's letting life go where it wants to go and trying to enjoy it on the way. He's been a dog for 3 years now, and that's certainly long enough to decide how to deal with most any change. Especially when he's got 2 great dogs in his life to help him adjust. (and the wolves. Can't forget them :lol: )

Also, if a long distance relationship can survive for 1 year on very good terms, I think it can survive in person. They obviously care about each other. They made up after their big fight, in style. King realized he'd gone too far. Bailey allowed him his idiosyncrasy with going through the human style engagement/marriage process and even saw it from his perspective and got into it. This shows they can work through relationship issues and come out working together. I think they can do this.

The only real issue left is the squick factor, which for me is not an issue and for others is an insurmountable one. To this, it must be left as "to each their own", as there's no changing someone's mind on this matter.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Obbl wrote:The only real issue left is the squick factor, which for me is not an issue and for others is an insurmountable one. To this, it must be left as "to each their own", as there's no changing someone's mind on this matter.
I think the squick factor wouldn't be so bad if we could really find out more about Joel's past life. It's not like I want to torture him with the idea that "he was born human he should stay human" since people do have the right to choose, but for a guy that just wants to make sure all pets are treated well in life, I can't see how his life is as bad as it is. Sure, he's doing good with his dog life now, but his human life could've been just as easily acceptable in life if divine intervention favored him just as much as well, but there's no profit in doing that to Joel's human life since noone needs human Joel, they need King.

I'm just wondering how the end result for Joel and King will be. I'm actually curious if Joel will be remembered as a good person somehow in both human and dog life.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I do wonder if Joel's parents still live and he misses them.

Gren

Post by Gren »

You know, it always amuse me how popular is King that he's even able to become the protagonist in a thread's discussion which doesn't have anything to do with him. It doesn't matter how many times some people try to return the discussion to the main topic, it always get back to King :lol:
ImageImage
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gren wrote:You know, it always amuse me how popular is King that he's even able to become the protagonist in a thread's discussion which doesn't have anything to do with him. It doesn't matter how many times some people try to return the discussion to the main topic, it always get back to King :lol:
Why do you think Bino hates him so much?
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Argent wrote:
Gren wrote:You know, it always amuse me how popular is King that he's even able to become the protagonist in a thread's discussion which doesn't have anything to do with him. It doesn't matter how many times some people try to return the discussion to the main topic, it always get back to King :lol:
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Gren

Post by Gren »

Render wrote:
Argent wrote:
OMG you know ROTO? :o
ImageImage
Lifio13

Post by Lifio13 »

In my opinion Bino feels his leadership of the GODC is threatened by King due to his name more often as a title of royalty. He doesn't want him "prancing around like he owns the place.".
Avatar by the very talented Laxan!

~Rusty Reid -Yorkshire Terrier-RA
Cyan Leopard

Post by Cyan Leopard »

What do you say when you are faced with something so undeniable as Kings situation? Do you argue with a god and refuse to except the situation? For a time King did just that, one could say he fought it tooth and nail. However in the end one most find happiness in the situation that they find ones self in. As my father used to tell me when I was growing up. "How ever said life was fair?"
This is me trying to not get sanctioned by the MODs again, shhhh they're watching me.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

GameCobra wrote:I can't see how his life is as bad as it is. Sure, he's doing good with his dog life now, but his human life could've been just as easily acceptable in life if divine intervention favored him just as much as well, but there's no profit in doing that to Joel's human life since noone needs human Joel, they need King.
His life ISN'T bad. He's quite a bit better off than he was before. He has a great best friend, a family who actually is looking after him as they can (after all, wolves can be quite protective of their family), he's even got a girlfriend, and who saw a marriage proposal coming?! That was delightful!

But I'm not talking about what is, I'm talking about what may be, since the author could take this in literally ANY direction, and in a slice of life setting, some of those directions are harder to swallow for fans than others.

I just wish it would have been stated more clearly that that was him making his choice if that's indeed what it was. Because............................... do I have to be blunt about this?................... as long as there is a chance that the way the story will go is him being turned back to Joel, even if he never sees jail again, one does not just FORGET that one PROPOSED TO A DOG if one is not a dog himself. There would also be the fact that Bailey was heartbroken and Fox was scarred for life (I'm not even going to go into how King would be). And even if it were somehow written that everyone involved eventually got past all of THAT, and it made them better and wiser people/pets in the end, sorry, I wouldn't be alright with that, or buy that. Where my feelings are concerned, there's not enough baloney in the world to make that sandwich.

Blah. There's gotta be something I'm missing, but I can't see what. I'm just trying to make my views clear without stepping over the line. If so, someone stage-hook me.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I understand where you're coming from, but I just can't see Rick taking the story in a direction that would ruin it like that. Maybe it's not explicitly stated, but then again, lot's of life changing choices actually happen little bits at a time, like here. At some point you just become fairly certain that the choice has been made.
That's how I look at it.
Argent

Post by Argent »

PhoenixAsper wrote:one does not just FORGET that one PROPOSED TO A DOG if one is not a dog himself.
So? These are not dumb animals. They're little people, comparable in intelligence, imagination, and personality to a human.
PhoenixAsper wrote:There would also be the fact that Bailey was heartbroken and Fox was scarred for life
Yeh, keeping secrets from people you care about can be hugely damaging to them and to yourself. The book I'm reading has the protagonist, Rachel, beating herself up over the way she alienated her partner by keeping a secret from him. That's a much bigger problem than having a close relationship with a person who happens to be a different species. Heck, it's a lot healthier than falling in love with a vampire.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I'm EXTREMELY partial to all the inhabitants of babylon gardens finding out about Joel/King's past, but I must admit that, if they never find out, that would make for a very original story!
Sometimes, though, daring to be different is really bad.
Argent wrote: These are not dumb animals. They're little people, comparable in intelligence, imagination, and personality to a human.
As a member of H.I.F.O.A.S.O.A.T.N.H. (humans in favor of absolute subjugation of all things non-human), I strongly disagree.

IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Silly Zealot wrote:I'm EXTREMELY partial to all the inhabitants of babylon gardens finding out about Joel/King's past, but I must admit that, if they never find out, that would make for a very original story!
Sometimes, though, daring to be different is really bad.
I think its kind of obvious that Rick has set up at least Fox to find out about it because of that whole thing about him not abandoning freinds in Love and War. Though I admit that could be a red herring; the only thing that makes me pretty sure its not is the fact that its really too interesting of a story line to pass up really.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

To note, the view on Peanut and Grape's relationship really hinges on the viewers' position when it comes to interspecies romance. Those who get utterly squicked by the implication of such would most likely just say "no, it's not true," and be on with it. Others who feel that "love knows no bounds" would view it as a real relationship that is just budding, or they would just view it as adorabruu.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't think people here have much of a problem with fictional interspecies relationships between two fully human-like species. Or I could be wrong. Anyone?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I don't. But If the two main characters had to be a couple, I would find that too cliche.

Guys like Maxwell deserve a chance to have a successful romance in a comic for once.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

GameCobra wrote:I don't. But If the two main characters had to be a couple, I would find that too cliche.

Guys like Maxwell deserve a chance to have a successful romance in a comic for once.
Well except for the fact that there really are no main characters for this comic overall, according to Rick. Even if there was I really wouldn't consider Peanut and Grape Main characters just the first we started out with; which is why people consider them main characters in the first place. If any character is the main character its King. Peanut and Grape are semi-important side characters at absolute best.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

IceKitsune wrote:Well except for the fact that there really are no main characters for this comic overall, according to Rick. Even if there was I really wouldn't consider Peanut and Grape Main characters just the first we started out with; which is why people consider them main characters in the first place. If any character is the main character its King. Peanut and Grape are semi-important side characters at absolute best.
And I do agree sometimes that there are no main characters as well. It's hard to say though at times given how the comic was introduced in it's first year if there were really any main characters, but I like to still think of them as major characters at the very least.